ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:36 pm
I look forward to freebanding with y'all soon.
I'm going to get my technicians license soon.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:24 am

Jocose wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:29 pm
Jocose wrote:
I am now a licensed technician.

I took the technicians test recently and nearly aced it. The VE's then asked me to take the General class test in the hopes I would pass it because apparently some can pass the technicians, General and even the Extra in one sitting.

I didnt pass the General class test so now I am studying for that and hope to test next month and then I'll think about the Extra.

Fun stuff.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:37 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:24 am
Jocose wrote:
Jocose wrote:

I took the technicians test recently and nearly aced it. The VE's then asked me to take the General class test in the hopes I would pass it because apparently some can pass the technicians, General and even the Extra in one sitting.

I didnt pass the General class test so now I am studying for that and hope to test next month and then I'll think about the Extra.

Fun stuff.
:chili: :chili: :chili:

Way to go!
Welcome to the service, Jo . . .
Let us know when you get your call!

vy 73 W0AZ
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:37 am
Jocose wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Jocose wrote:

Fun stuff.

Way to go!

vy 73 W0AZ
Will do and Thanks!

Also...

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:10 pm

I'm not a ham operator but I do have a shortwave radio. I'm glad this thread popped up because I have a question. Are there any sources for tube style shortwave radios anymore? I'd like to have one for when a solar flare or EMP fries every electronic circuit in existence. I've heard the old tube radios will still work if you can find a way to power them.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:37 am
Jocose wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Jocose wrote:

Fun stuff.

Way to go!

vy 73 W0AZ
Will do and Thanks!

Also...

:rotfl:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:40 pm

We've seen some recently renewed interest in this topic so I thought I'd keep this thread alive . . .
Welcome to the new hams (and the old ones).

My trusty old main rig, a Kenwood TS-440S, crapped out recently and getting a replacement was on the list of things to do along with getting our well pump working again, rodents eliminated and the damage they'd done to the crawl space repaired. I'm happy to report that all of the above have been accomplished.

The new roof will wait another year.

The replacement for the TS-140 is a ~20 year old but somehow still pristine Yaesu FT-1000MP that I got from a very nice New Hampshire ham, N1EZ.

I posted a wide view of my shack in the QSL card thread. Here's one more focused on the radios.

It took a while to learn the Yaesu, and I've only gotten into the menus in the past few days. I've now got the rig set up just the way I want it for CW. Break-in barefoot is flawless, and switching delay with the amp is set at 0.30s, which feels about right. Sidetone, Spot and CW tuning zero indicator are set at 700Hz.

I've got my Begali paddles set up to work with the internal keyer, and yesterday I set up the rig with my memory/contest keyer and Bencher paddles. I can switch between them with the press of a button.

It arrived with the 500Hz filter installed. A 250Hz filter is arriving today.
The radio is a CW operator's dream.
Makes me feel like a kid again.

W0AZ dit dit

PS: I added 3D2CR (Conway Reef) to my DXCC list with the new rig this week! :pipe3:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Vy fb, Steve.

I love hearing about and seeing the radios.

Maybe we can set up a sked again sometime?

I have QSL cards on the way from one of the links that you shared.

Look forward to a QSO.

Jo

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:02 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:40 pm
We've seen some recently renewed interest in this topic so I thought I'd keep this thread alive . . .
Welcome to the new hams (and the old ones).

My trusty old main rig, a Kenwood TS-440S, crapped out recently and getting a replacement was on the list of things to do along with getting our well pump working again, rodents eliminated and the damage they'd done to the crawl space repaired. I'm happy to report that all of the above have been accomplished.

The new roof will wait another year.

The replacement for the TS-140 is a ~20 year old but somehow still pristine Yaesu FT-1000MP that I got from a very nice New Hampshire ham, N1EZ.

I posted a wide view of my shack in the QSL card thread. Here's one more focused on the radios.

It took a while to learn the Yaesu, and I've only gotten into the menus in the past few days. I've now got the rig set up just the way I want it for CW. Break-in barefoot is flawless, and switching delay with the amp is set at 0.30s, which feels about right. Sidetone, Spot and CW tuning zero indicator are set at 700Hz.

I've got my Begali paddles set up to work with the internal keyer, and yesterday I set up the rig with my memory/contest keyer and Bencher paddles. I can switch between them with the press of a button.

It arrived with the 500Hz filter installed. A 250Hz filter is arriving today.
The radio is a CW operator's dream.
Makes me feel like a kid again.

W0AZ dit dit

PS: I added 3D2CR (Conway Reef) to my DXCC list with the new rig this week! :pipe3:

Durangopipe

I do not know what language your were speaking there...I could make out of words and numbers... :?

When I was 16 we had a HAM Radio guy at church and I was fascinated by his hut and radios and he was just getting started on introducing me to the world of HAM radios. He and my stepdad got into an argument over church business and my stepdad wouldn't allow me to go out there anymore.

So I got a CB radio and that is as far as that went...

Jo...congrats on passing your test.

I used to have my FCC Lic when I was working in commercial radio...the voice of the Mighty 580 and others :) Yup...I know completely different license and operation...but I did have 50,000 watts under my control :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:02 pm

Durangopipe

I do not know what language your were speaking there...I could make out of words and numbers... :?

When I was 16 we had a HAM Radio guy at church and I was fascinated by his hut and radios and he was just getting started on introducing me to the world of HAM radios. He and my stepdad got into an argument over church business and my stepdad wouldn't allow me to go out there anymore.

So I got a CB radio and that is as far as that went...

Jo...congrats on passing your test.

I used to have my FCC Lic when I was working in commercial radio...the voice of the Mighty 580 and others :) Yup...I know completely different license and operation...but I did have 50,000 watts under my control :)
Very cool, BH!
50KW must be a powerful feeling!

Might want to think about getting back into radio, and ham radio especially now that the code is not an obstacle.

It's still a great group, and I can say that after 57 years of hamming I'm no less excited by a "new one" and find it no less fun building and tinkering with the gear.
Last edited by durangopipe on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:10 pm
I'm not a ham operator but I do have a shortwave radio. I'm glad this thread popped up because I have a question. Are there any sources for tube style shortwave radios anymore? I'd like to have one for when a solar flare or EMP fries every electronic circuit in existence. I've heard the old tube radios will still work if you can find a way to power them.
Most of the tube gear runs on standard AC. In an emergency a generator works.

You can find a lot of old tube gear on eBay and at Hamfests (sort of like big Ham garage sales - your local radio club can fill you in on when they're happening).

But be aware that old tube gear suffers from any number of ailments including nonfunctioning and aging components that have to be addressed, out of spec alignment over time, hard to find parts for repairs, and undocumented modifications over the years that can make keeping them functional a nightmare.

I had restored and operated a complete "boatanchor" (old, heavy tube radios) station here until recently.

When I finally got it all together and working properly I loved to use it, especially on AM. But over time I found myself using it less and less. A little while back I donated it to the local ham club so they could sell it to raise some money.

Even with their better resistance to EMP damage, I'd say old tube gear is best left for experienced hobbyists and radio technicians with well-stocked parts boxes and a lot of test equipment and know how.

I was amazed to learn when I donated my boatanchor station to the club there was only one other member, Paul W0EZN (a friend), who knew how to operate it. Instead of selling it right away, the new club president decided it would be fun to set it up and have Paul teach others who were interested how to set up and run such a station.

It's not just a matter of turning it on and talking.

I'd suggest getting modern radios and staying away from nuclear blasts and close lightning strikes and praying you don't get fried by a massive solar event.

:pipe3:

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:32 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:10 pm
Most of the tube gear runs on standard AC. In an emergency a generator works.

You can find a lot of old tube gear on eBay and at Hamfests (sort of like big Ham garage sales - your local radio club can fill you in on when they're happening).

But be aware that old tube gear suffers from any number of ailments including nonfunctioning and aging components that have to be addressed, out of spec alignment over time, hard to find parts for repairs, and undocumented modifications over the years that can make keeping them functional a nightmare.

I had restored and operated a complete "boatanchor" (old, heavy tube radios) station here until recently.

When I finally got it all together and working properly I loved to use it, especially on AM. But over time I found myself using it less and less. A little while back I donated it to the local ham club so they could sell it to raise some money.

Even with their better resistance to EMP damage, I'd say old tube gear is best left for experienced hobbyists and radio technicians with well-stocked parts boxes and a lot of test equipment and know how.

I was amazed to learn when I donated my boatanchor station to the club there was only one other member, Paul W0EZN (a friend), who knew how to operate it. Instead of selling it right away, the new club president decided it would be fun to set it up and have Paul teach others who were interested how to set up and run such a station.

It's not just a matter of turning it on and talking.

I'd suggest getting modern radios and staying away from nuclear blasts and close lightning strikes and praying you don't get fried by a massive solar event.

:pipe3:
That was informative, cool and I appreciate you taking the time to respond in such detail. I guess I'll just stick my radio shack shortwave in the microwave in case of a massive solar event. Seriously, that was good information and I appreciate it.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 pm

Durango Pipe you likely know the station...KUBC/KKXK In Montrose.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 pm
Durango Pipe you likely know the station...KUBC/KKXK In Montrose.
Yep!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:21 am

Hoping to keep this thread alive, and in that spirit ...
Thought I might post an interesting piece of gear and ask if others have anything odd or special they have a photo of to post as well.

This is a set of iambic paddles I got back in the early 90s from Morse Express in Aurora, Colorado:

There was a piece written about these paddles, and the ham who made them in his basement shop, in a ham magazine sometime back in the early 90s. The ham lived out in California. Now, some 25 years later, I can't remember which magazine or what ham, but I do remember being curious about them at the time and driving out to Aurora to see them one day when I was up in Denver working. I bought them on the spot. They were inexpensive and I thought they looked lovely. Setting them up is a bit touchy (the screw threads are somewhat coarse), but once set they feel quite good.

The finger pieces and their fit to the lever arms are particularly nice. The base is marble and although not quite as heavy as many other paddles they do seem to stay put in use. I enjoy the notion of a CW fanatic ham lovingly machining and assembling these paddles in his home shop.

Turns out, the guy only made a few of them and then seems to have disappeared. I believe this the 7th set of paddles he made.

I have a very modest collection of keys and paddles. I use them all. These are not my most often used paddles, by any means (those would be my Begali paddles), but they may well be the most rare. I've never seen another set, nor heard of anyone else who uses them, and all information about the ham who made them and the paddles themselves seems to have vanished from the internet.

I have them hooked up to a small 5w, 20m, QRP, kit-built rig from A&A Engineering that will run on a pack of AA batteries that I sometimes use from home and used to carry into the mountains for mountaintop QRP with a tripod and a 20m Hamstick antenna.

Any other interesting gear out there to post??

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:04 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:21 am

Nice key OM.

I am saving my pennies for (maybe) a Begali Expedition for the incoming KX3.

I say maybe on the Begali because the only key I've ever used is a Bencher straight key and I'm sure it will work just fine for POTA and other QRP outings. (I skipped the elecraft mini paddle)

I wish I had cool photos to share but I'm afraid my stuff is run of the mill.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:04 pm
Nice key OM.

I say maybe on the Begali because the only key I've ever used is a Bencher straight key and I'm sure it will work just fine for POTA and other QRP outings. (I skipped the elecraft mini paddle)

Begali keys are all fantastic. You won’t be disappointed. I’ve had my eyes on a Pearl for some time now, but other priorities have gotten in the way. I’ve been grabbing up some used filters on eBay to fill some of the empty (and needed) filter slots in my 1000MP.

A photo of your 817 would be great to see!
That Bencher straight key is a beauty.

Are you up and running on 40m CW, Jo?

An evening sked might work. Propagation has been pretty good on 40 recently - a fair amount of static crashes so your QRP signal might be a little hard to dig out, but you never know. If propagation is good, 5w would be plenty.

My shack is kind of warm early in the evening right now but cools off nicely by 8:00 or so your time.

20m has been open to the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand from my QTH pretty much every night lately, even with the flux only in the high 60s. The noise level has been wonderfully low on 20 here and I’ve been able to work stations down at S1; consequently, I’ve been working mostly on 20 since we got home from a vacation trip a few days ago.

I worked Tuvalu last night on 20m CW in a big pileup - I had it on 15m but needed it on 20m. He’s running barefoot with a marginal antenna and was pretty weak. I used my amp to get him.

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Re:

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:19 pm
I've got a HR 2510 and talk on the so called free bands but never 28.000 or higher because I don't have a license.
Still have said 10/11 meter radio.
Facts should never get in the way of a good story.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:47 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:10 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:04 pm
Nice key OM.

Begali keys are all fantastic. You won’t be disappointed. I’ve had my eyes on a Pearl for some time now, but other priorities have gotten in the way. I’ve been grabbing up some used filters on eBay to fill some of the empty (and needed) filter slots in my 1000MP.

A photo of your 817 would be great to see!
That Bencher straight key is a beauty.

Are you up and running on 40m CW, Jo?

An evening sked might work. Propagation has been pretty good on 40 recently - a fair amount of static crashes so your QRP signal might be a little hard to dig out, but you never know. If propagation is good, 5w would be plenty.

My shack is kind of warm early in the evening right now but cools off nicely by 8:00 or so your time.

20m has been open to the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand from my QTH pretty much every night lately, even with the flux only in the high 60s. The noise level has been wonderfully low on 20 here and I’ve been able to work stations down at S1; consequently, I’ve been working mostly on 20 since we got home from a vacation trip a few days ago.

I worked Tuvalu last night on 20m CW in a big pileup - I had it on 15m but needed it on 20m. He’s running barefoot with a marginal antenna and was pretty weak. I used my amp to get him.
Always glad to hear of your CW pileups and adventures! I've only worked 2 countries and maybe 10 different ops, hahaha.

I look forward to a QSO with you. I am up and running on 40m, also I met an OP on the air who is from Canada that I try and rag chew with on 80m a few evenings a week when I am home, ive made a few contacts on 6m as well.

I'm still really new and my brain starts hurting trying to keep up even as slow as 6 WPM, I've sent QRS many times, lol.

The XYL got me a Kent paddle and I'd like to try and get it wired up and give er a whirl one of these nights.

What kind of amp do you run?

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:11 pm

The Yaesu FT-891. I really like this radio. I need to upgrade to General to be able to use and enjoy 20m and bigger portions of other bands.

My Bencher Straight Key. CQ CQ CQ de Jocose dit dit

The Kent, I have not been on the air with this yet. I just in fact finished wiring it. I have no experience with a paddle as of right now. I hear that the brass on this key will develop a patina, which some apparently do not appreciate but I certainly would.

Many thanks go out to.our own Durangopipe for his help and advice on my journey into the world of HF and CW.