ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:03 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:01 pm
I put the Champion in the display case.
The Blue Racer goes down to 22WPM with these weights. That's plenty of range.

And she both fits well and looks good on the desk.

:pipe3:
Looks right at home and a capacitor I see there.

We'll need to sked a '54 to '64 Blue Racer qso.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:03 pm

Not sure I really need the cap, but it can’t hurt.
Yes! BR to BR sked - next weekend?

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:24 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:25 pm
Jocose wrote:

ONE WORD:

QRV with BR
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:39 pm

Well, I got back from Edenton with a truckload of stuff from my new buddy up there. Two tubs and a box full of wire, connectors, capacitors, resistors, parts from old radios and various other stuff. I've sorted through some of it and the highlights are an Alinco 20A Linear power supply, an Optoelectronics Handi-counter (guess it's a frequency counter), a Bird 50 Ohm Dummy load, a Mirage Amplifier to kick up my HT to 25 watts when I use it in my truck, a focus probe, and an Alinco DX90 HT transceiver (don't know if it works) and an SDR hookup for my computer. I haven't even finished sorting through all of it yet. The guy was incredibly generous and happy to have me haul it off. My buddy who rode up with me also got a lot of stuff and I'm going to share some of this with him too. Great trip and I met some great people.

My Yaseu FT 450D has shipped and also my MFJ SWR meter.

So I have lots of stuff that I don't know how to use yet but I will be learning.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:06 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:24 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:25 pm
Jocose wrote:

ONE WORD:

QRV with BR
One word: Holy cow that bug cleaned up beautifully. Spectacular!

(Tip: A red magic marker will “repaint” that bug on the nameplate indistinguishable from factory new. :D )

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:10 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:39 pm
Well, I got back from Edenton with a truckload of stuff from my new buddy up there. Two tubs and a box full of wire, connectors, capacitors, resistors, parts from old radios and various other stuff. I've sorted through some of it and the highlights are an Alinco 20A Linear power supply, an Optoelectronics Handi-counter (guess it's a frequency counter), a Bird 50 Ohm Dummy load, a Mirage Amplifier to kick up my HT to 25 watts when I use it in my truck, a focus probe, and an Alinco DX90 HT transceiver (don't know if it works) and an SDR hookup for my computer. I haven't even finished sorting through all of it yet. The guy was incredibly generous and happy to have me haul it off. My buddy who rode up with me also got a lot of stuff and I'm going to share some of this with him too. Great trip and I met some great people.

So I have lots of stuff that I don't know how to use yet but I will be learning.
That’s wonderful, Stanley.
Maybe you’ll have some lengths of wire long enough for an antenna or two. :D

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:59 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:10 pm
Stanley76 wrote:

No but I'm going to town today and picking up some copper wire for dipoles. I think I'm going to put a short one up along my porch which is covered until I figure out where I'm going to string a long one up from my roof top. I'm also going to take this stuff to my buddy so he can get what he wants out of it. Everything we picked up will be shared. I hope that HF transceiver that was in the box works because he wants one and I already have one on the way. He has a shop so most of this stuff will go there where we can both use it.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:15 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:59 am
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

No but I'm going to town today and picking up some copper wire for dipoles. I think I'm going to put a short one up along my porch which is covered until I figure out where I'm going to string a long one up from my roof top. I'm also going to take this stuff to my buddy so he can get what he wants out of it. Everything we picked up will be shared. I hope that HF transceiver that was in the box works because he wants one and I already have one on the way. He has a shop so most of this stuff will go there where we can both use it.
What transceiver is in the box?

And I share your excitement while waiting for your FT-450D!
:chili: :chili:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:19 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:15 am
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

I share in his excitement as well and also jealous that he has ham buddies already.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:03 am

durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

It's an Alinco DX-70. It's HF and 6 Meter. Here's a review I found on it from back before the turn of the century. http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/Vari ... T_1995.pdf

I really hope it works for my buddy.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:29 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:03 am
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

It's an Alinco DX-70. It's HF and 6 Meter. Here's a review I found on it from back before the turn of the century. http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/Vari ... T_1995.pdf

No need to read the review - I have one!
It’s a fantastic little radio.

Mine is in a foam-lined case/go kit with mic, paddles, homebrew keyer and cords. I can grab it, some coax and a tube full of hamsticks and be on HF - 6m in minutes if needed:

Image Image

I used it for portable operation off of my car battery, and for QRP Field Day for many years! There's a switch inside to set the low and high power (switchable on the front panel) to either 10/100 watts or 5/50 watts. I’ve had mine set on 5/50 watts to conserve portable battery power, forever! :D

The manual is available online - if your buddy has trouble finding it let me know, I’ve got a .pdf on my iPad I can send him.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:37 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:29 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

Mine is in a foam-lined case/go kit with mic, paddles, homebrew keyer and cords. I can grab it, some coax and a tube full of hamsticks and be on HF - 6m in minutes if needed:

Image Image

I used it for portable operation off of my car battery, and for QRP Field Day for many years! There's a switch inside to set the low and high power (switchable on the front panel) to either 10/100 watts or 5/50 watts. I’ve had mine set on 5/50 watts to conserve portable battery power, forever! :D

The manual is available online - if your buddy has trouble finding it let me know, I’ve got a .pdf on my iPad I can send him.
Oohhh.. nice, how do you like that key? Looks slick.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:44 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:37 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

Image Image

It's okay once you get it adjusted, but it's a little crude after using a really fine paddle.

The finger pieces are very nice, and the bearings are solid - no wobble of any kind. But the contacts are small and the adjustment threads are quite course. It was made by a ham in California. He only made a few of them. I got it from Marshall Em at MorseExpress a very long time ago. (He passed away a year or so ago.) If I don't have to go super fast or light, I throw my Benchers in the car and use them.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:50 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:44 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:37 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

Image Image

It's okay once you get it adjusted, but it's a little crude after using a really fine paddle.

The finger pieces are very nice, and the bearings are solid - no wobble of any kind. But the contacts are small and the adjustment threads are quite course. It was made by a ham in California. He only made a few of them. I got it from Marshall Em at MorseExpress a very long time ago. (He passed away a year or so ago.) If I don't have to go super fast or light, I throw my Benchers in the car and use them.

I was wondering if thatwas the same key you posted here a while back, looks much smaller in the case, very nice!

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:58 pm

We hooked it up to a power supply this morning and it seems to work but no antenna is hooked up so we turned it back off until he can rig up a dipole and read the manual (I found it online). He's very happy to get a HF for free! I hope it turns out that it is working OK, it seems to be but we haven't check it out yet.

Today I got the wire, connectors and other stuff to put up a 20 meter dipole. I live in a stilt house so I'm just going to string it up under my porch roof which is right at 35 feet long so it should be long enough. It will be out of sight. Later I plan to put up a 40 meter dipole from my roof line out to some trees in my yard. I'll work on it tomorrow and if all goes right I should have it up and waiting when my Yaseu is delivered.

My friend in Edenton also gave me an SDR radio connector for my computer. I've looked at some of those receivers online. Pretty cool. I'll have to find the software and download it and put an antenna on it.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:23 pm

You guys prepared for an EMP strike, man-made or otherwise?

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:12 pm

AFRS wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:23 pm
Why, what have you heard?

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:04 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:12 pm
AFRS wrote:
EMP is real. Any solid state device will instantly fry. Surely some of you HAMs have tube tech? If the sun farts, or Kim Jong Un decides to let one rip, tube tech will be in HIGH demand.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:40 pm

AFRS wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:04 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
AFRS wrote:
EMP is real. Any solid state device will instantly fry. Surely some of you HAMs have tube tech? If the sun farts, or Kim Jong Un decides to let one rip, tube tech will be in HIGH demand.
That’s a little overstated.

But I had it. Maintained it for many years.

Gave it away a couple of years ago.
After awhile, keeping it operating becomes tedious - unless that gear is something you are particularly fond of using and repairing. I used to be one of them. No more.

If all of my solid state gear, including the stuff not connected to any incoming lines, were taken out (very unlikely), I’d have this:

Which will transmit CW at low power on 3 bands on crystal fixed frequencies. I could feed it into my all tube amplifier for more power - but I’d need a bigger generator. Tube gear eats a lot of power. (I assume the EMP will have taken out the power grid.)

I’d have to cobble together a simple (likely regenerative) receiver.

One more reason to maintain a pool of code capable operators - in a serious emergency, communication gear for CW can be thrown together with few parts and far more limited technical expertise. Two wires are a key.

But you need someone on the other end who can copy it.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:27 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:40 pm
AFRS wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:04 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
AFRS wrote:
That’s a little overstated.

But I had it. Maintained it for many years.

Gave it away a couple of years ago.
After awhile, keeping it operating becomes tedious - unless that gear is something you are particularly fond of using and repairing. I used to be one of them. No more.

If all of my solid state gear, including the stuff not connected to any incoming lines, were taken out (very unlikely), I’d have this:

Which will transmit CW at low power on 3 bands on crystal fixed frequencies. I could feed it into my all tube amplifier for more power - but I’d need a bigger generator. Tube gear eats a lot of power. (I assume the EMP will have taken out the power grid.)

I’d have to cobble together a simple (likely regenerative) receiver.

One more reason to maintain a pool of code capable operators - in a serious emergency, communication gear for CW can be thrown together with few parts and far more limited technical expertise. Two wires are a key.

But you need someone on the other end who can copy it.
CW saved the world in the movie Independence Day.