ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:27 pm
CW saved the world in the movie Independence Day.
:lol:

Yes, and I (only half jokingly) mention that all the time.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:40 pm

https://ia600605.us.archive.org/13/item ... ic_SOS.mp3

Radio distress radio traffic from Marine Electric/WOOH SOS in 1983
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:06 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:40 pm
Radio distress radio traffic from Marine Electric/WOOH SOS in 1983
And you're only getting it now? :confused: 8O

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Finding your flow?

As a newer CW op I'm having trouble finding my flow sometimes. At first I was so excited just to have a successful 3 or 5 wpm contact and as my speed and proficiency increase I'm enjoying that even more.

I feel that the rig, watts, ant, key etc. exchange is fun (and I really do enjoy hearing about others set up) but I'd like to organically be able to delve deeper into conversation.

A couple things get in my way. One being propagation.. I've had some nice chats where propagation goes to crap and I worry that going on too long and QSB will get me and when QSB gets the other guy I can miss a lot of what he is saying. I dont want to just send "R" after missing almost all of what he sent and that's when I can get flustered.

I suppose I should just wait until propagation is doing really well. I did have an 1.5 hr rag chew with a OM in California that went naturally well but most of the time all I can manage is the basic exchange due to conditions, which is totally fine.

Topics of conversation is another.. Sounds like a no brainer but I'm not an experienced ham that knows much about anything. I feel grossly inferior when a 50 year Ham is telling about his WW2 era rig and all of the parts he's made or fixed. Although I find it fascinating I don't have much of anything to add.

I'm likely overthinking this all and should just let things develop naturally over time.

I'm always glad to make contacts of any kind I'm just thinking about future and ways to grow in the hobby.

Thanks for letting me out some of my thoughts down,anyway.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:00 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:54 pm
Finding your flow?

As a newer CW op I'm having trouble finding my flow sometimes. At first I was so excited just to have a successful 3 or 5 wpm contact and as my speed and proficiency increase I'm enjoying that even more.

I feel that the rig, watts, ant, key etc. exchange is fun (and I really do enjoy hearing about others set up) but I'd like to organically be able to delve deeper into conversation.

A couple things get in my way. One being propagation.. I've had some nice chats where propagation goes to crap and I worry that going on too long and QSB will get me and when QSB gets the other guy I can miss a lot of what he is saying. I dont want to just send "R" after missing almost all of what he sent and that's when I can get flustered.

I suppose I should just wait until propagation is doing really well. I did have an 1.5 hr rag chew with a OM in California that went naturally well but most of the time all I can manage is the basic exchange due to conditions, which is totally fine.

Topics of conversation is another.. Sounds like a no brainer but I'm not an experienced ham that knows much about anything. I feel grossly inferior when a 50 year Ham is telling about his WW2 era rig and all of the parts he's made or fixed. Although I find it fascinating I don't have much of anything to add.

I'm likely overthinking this all and should just let things develop naturally over time.

I'm always glad to make contacts of any kind I'm just thinking about future and ways to grow in the hobby.

You could always try email. Faster, more accurate, more convenient...

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:28 pm

AFRS wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:00 pm
Jocose wrote:
Finding your flow?

Ahhh, thanks, didn't think about that before! But same applies with email? Any advice?

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:51 pm

AFRS wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:00 pm
Jocose wrote:
Finding your flow?

Zero fun, AFRS.
CW, above all, is fun.

Why sail?

It’s slow. It’s an anachronism.
Why not just get a cigar boat and roar around at 60 knots?
Or better yet, hire a helicopter to get from here to there?

I’d rather sail a sailboat.

(Because it isn’t about just getting from here to there.)

Why smoke a pipe?
It can be a pain in the ass.

Hard to light in the wind.
Takes time to learn.

Kind of expensive.

Why not just wear a nicotine patch?

:pipe3:

Jo ...

A good conversationalist on CW is very similar to one you might talk with anywhere. They don’t only talk about themselves and their own stations, their own hamming and life experiences (which they do and should). They also ask you questions about yours.

If that’s not happening ask a question. Are you retired? Yes. No. What did you do before you retired, what are you doing when you’re not hamming.

Any other hobbies? Etc. (Why yes, I like to shoot, hunt, collect pipes BK Holy cow, me too!

Unfortunately, a lot of hams don’t model that kind of QSO so a lot of new hams start giving only RST, QTH, OP, BK ... RIG, PWR, ANT, WX, 73.

And you’re right about band conditions at the bottom of the cycle. We’ve turned the corner, but we’re still near the bottom. Soon, there will be long periods of time when bands will hold up well and long enough for nice, friendly conversations.

SK dit dit

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:31 am

One of the senior local HAMs told me that in the fifties and sixties you could get WWII and Korean War era receivers, transmitters and all sorts of surplus equipment for next to nothing if you could fix it. He said they almost gave it away.

In other news my new HF transceiver is scheduled to be delivered today along with a SWR meter and some more coax. I have everything I need to set up a dipole(s). Once I get my new rig (listen to me talking like a real HAM), I'll need to figure it out. I have an 8 foot ground rod, grounding wire and other stuff but the weather is nasty here today I'll wait to put it and the antennas up. I'll pass the time reading the owners manual for my new Yaseu.

Also, I have been checking out some of the online SDR stations. They are interesting to listen to. My friend up in Edenton gave me an SDR dongle thing and I've got an antenna for it but I need to find the right software to download for it. If I can't get it to work, I'll just order one with the software package. They are inexpensive.

Still working on CW slowly and I need to pick it on on that. CW is my priority now and there's so much stuff to learn about HAM radio in general that I don't want to spread myself too thin. My brain isn't as absorbent as it was 30 years ago.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:10 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:31 am
One of the senior local HAMs told me that in the fifties and sixties you could get WWII and Korean War era receivers, transmitters and all sorts of surplus equipment for next to nothing if you could fix it. He said they almost gave it away.

In other news my new HF transceiver is scheduled to be delivered today along with a SWR meter and some more coax. I have everything I need to set up a dipole(s). Once I get my new rig (listen to me talking like a real HAM), I'll need to figure it out. I have an 8 foot ground rod, grounding wire and other stuff but the weather is nasty here today I'll wait to put it and the antennas up. I'll pass the time reading the owners manual for my new Yaseu.

Also, I have been checking out some of the online SDR stations. They are interesting to listen to. My friend up in Edenton gave me an SDR dongle thing and I've got an antenna for it but I need to find the right software to download for it. If I can't get it to work, I'll just order one with the software package. They are inexpensive.

Still working on CW slowly and I need to pick it on on that. CW is my priority now and there's so much stuff to learn about HAM radio in general that I don't want to spread myself too thin. My brain isn't as absorbent as it was 30 years ago.
All great news, Stanley!

Yes, the Old Timer is right - that “Army Surplus” stuff was available for next to nothing, and a lot of hams converted it to ham frequencies and got on the air that way.

There were also piles and piles of surplus tubes and other parts available, much of it labeled JAN (for Joint Army Navy).

Good times for people who were homebrewers.

I grew up a fifteen minute bus ride + a fifteen minute subway ride from lower Manhattan, where there was a street with shop after shop selling that stuff. We called it Radio Row.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:51 pm

I found a guy who sells nice engraved brass tags, cheap!

:chili: :chili:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:54 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Cool!

And that Begali Pearl is... amazing.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:54 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Cool!

And that Begali Pearl is... amazing.
I was hoping to get a better picture up before you saw it. :D

I love these paddles.
Best I've ever used.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:45 pm

My transceiver was delivered today. I'm going to use some commonsense for once and read and study the manual before I connect it to power. My antenna is not up yet anyway, plus I have to pound the ground rod in the ground, run some ground wire and I don't know how to work the radio yet anyway. Taking things slow, step by step. I've got a dummy load and my SWR meter is scheduled to be delivered early next week so I'll have plenty of time to get the antenna up. I'm going to start out by putting up a temporary 20 meter dipole along my porch roof. Eventually, I will put up a 40 meter permanent dipole. But in the meantime I will will be studying this manual.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:56 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:45 pm
My transceiver was delivered today. I'm going to use some commonsense for once and read and study the manual before I connect it to power. My antenna is not up yet anyway, plus I have to pound the ground rod in the ground, run some ground wire and I don't know how to work the radio yet anyway. Taking things slow, step by step. I've got a dummy load and my SWR meter is scheduled to be delivered early next week so I'll have plenty of time to get the antenna up. I'm going to start out by putting up a temporary 20 meter dipole along my porch roof. Eventually, I will put up a 40 meter permanent dipole. But in the meantime I will will be studying this manual.

Sweet!
That’s a very nice setup, Stanley.

Can’t wait to talk with you on the air.
What’s the orientation of your 20m dipole going to be?

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:04 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:56 pm
Stanley76 wrote:

Sweet!

It's going to run from NNE to SSW. That's the way my porch runs. Broadside to it is NW to SE basically.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:11 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:04 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

Sweet!

It's going to run from NNE to SSW. That's the way my porch runs. Broadside to it is NW to SE basically.
That should work pretty well for the three of us (you, Jo, me) to have a QSO.

:D

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:38 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:11 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:04 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

Sweet!

That should work pretty well for the three of us (you, Jo, me) to have a QSO.

:D
Woot! Nice rig, Stan! Looking forward to a future CPS net.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:30 pm

Thanks to the both of you. You guys got me to pull the trigger on this and it's something I've thought about doing since I was a kid. It will be a awesome to have a QSO with both of you by voice but it will be downright epic if I ever get competent enough on CW to check in with you guys.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:12 pm

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:44 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:12 pm

Guess what? :lol: