Science in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Science in the News

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:05 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:05 am

Jo, Schmo. The Mantis shrimp is my new favorite animal.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:25 pm

Fainn may have a job as a scientist that he hasn't told us about.

Scientists ate Legos to see how long it takes to poop them out

Since they were eating toys and poking through their own poop the team decided to have a bit of fun with the nomenclature. “Pre‐ingestion bowel habit was standardised by the Stool Hardness and Transit (SHAT) score,” the study read. “Participants ingested a Lego head, and the time taken for the object to be found in the participants stool was recorded. The primary outcome was the Found and Retrieved Time (FART) score.”
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:25 pm

Since they were eating toys and poking through their own poop the team decided to have a bit of fun with the nomenclature. “Pre‐ingestion bowel habit was standardised by the Stool Hardness and Transit (SHAT) score,” the study read. “Participants ingested a Lego head, and the time taken for the object to be found in the participants stool was recorded. The primary outcome was the Found and Retrieved Time (FART) score.”
…females may be more accomplished at searching through their stools than males.
Definitely requires further study.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 pm
Sir Moose wrote:

The Boy was a scientist!

:cheese:

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

I would assume that just about every parent or pet owner has had to sift through poop at some point. Thanks to these guys, now we know it takes approximately 1.71 days for little inclusions to pass. So, relax... you've got a good reminder to trim your nails and a whole day and a half to do it in.

Last time I had to experience this was a year or two ago when a crown came loose and I swallowed it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:51 pm

Forget the zombie apocalypse, the insect apocalypse is real.
Because insects are legion, inconspicuous and hard to meaningfully track, the fear that there might be far fewer than before was more felt than documented. People noticed it by canals or in backyards or under streetlights at night — familiar places that had become unfamiliarly empty. The feeling was so common that entomologists developed a shorthand for it, named for the way many people first began to notice that they weren’t seeing as many bugs. They called it the windshield phenomenon.
Worth a read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/maga ... lypse.html
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

I would assume that just about every parent or pet owner has had to sift through poop at some point. Thanks to these guys, now we know it takes approximately 1.71 days for little inclusions to pass. So, relax... you've got a good reminder to trim your nails and a whole day and a half to do it in.

Last time I had to experience this was a year or two ago when a crown came loose and I swallowed it.
Potty mouth!
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:51 pm
Forget the zombie apocalypse, the insect apocalypse is real.
Because insects are legion, inconspicuous and hard to meaningfully track, the fear that there might be far fewer than before was more felt than documented. People noticed it by canals or in backyards or under streetlights at night — familiar places that had become unfamiliarly empty. The feeling was so common that entomologists developed a shorthand for it, named for the way many people first began to notice that they weren’t seeing as many bugs. They called it the windshield phenomenon.
Worth a read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/maga ... lypse.html
See, I knew it. Things were better 70 years ago.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:39 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:55 pm
Cleon wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

Potty mouth!
I wish I could remember the exchange I had with my dentist. I tried to have fun with it and not get too upset because, for over a grand, I thought it should stay put. "Looks like white corn" or "What toilet paper do most dentists recommend?" and stuff like that.

It was old hat to him. He'd been there, done that multiple times.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:57 am

Cave Paintings May Actually Be Sophisticated Star Maps
Researchers from the Universities of Edinburgh and Kent studied details of drawings in caves in Turkey, Spain, France and Germany that showed various animal symbols. They claim that all of them used the same method of keeping the time using sophisticated astronomy, even though the art was drawn at various times over tens of thousands of years.

“Early cave art shows that people had advanced knowledge of the night sky within the last Ice Age. Intellectually, they were hardly any different to us today. These findings support a theory of multiple comet impacts over the course of human development, and will probably revolutionise how prehistoric populations are seen,” said Martin Sweatman of the University of Edinburgh in a statement.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Unusual Seismic Waves Rumbled Around the Planet and Scientists Don't Know Why

At a Glance

Early Nov. 11, unusual seismic waves were recorded around the world.
There was no earthquake large enough to have started these low frequency signals.
Scientists are unsure what caused the bizarre rumblings.
Unusual seismic waves traveled around the world on Nov. 11 and scientists say they haven't seen anything like it before.

The rumbling originated just offshore of Mayotte, an island between the southeast coast of Africa and Madagascar, before shaking through Africa. Locations in Zambia, Kenya and Ethiopia recorded the rumbling. Even further away, places in Chile, New Zealand, Canada and Hawaii picked up the rumblings.

What the French Geological Survey (BRGM) called the "atypical very low-frequency signal" was a repeating wave that would register about every 17 seconds and lasted some 20 minutes total. Strangely, nobody felt it.

"I don't think I've seen anything like it," Columbia University seismologist Göran Ekström told National Geographic. "It doesn't mean that, in the end, the cause of them is that exotic."

(MORE: Depths of the World's Largest Sinkhole Are About to Be Explored)

A typical earthquake will release the extent of its energy in one burst, containing several different types of waves.

First are P-waves, otherwise known as compressional waves, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. They shake the ground back and forth in the motion the wave moves. They typically are felt in small jolts or light shaking, though sometimes, they're not felt at all.

Mapped earthquakes above magnitude 3.8 since the beginning of the seismic swarm.
(French Geological Survey)

Next come S-waves, or shear waves. Shear waves shake the ground in the direction perpendicular to the movement of the wave. These are felt in larger jolts or stronger shaking.

The third type of wave is surface waves, which are trapped near the Earth's surface. A rolling motion can be felt with surface waves.

Surface waves are the most comparable type of wave to that of the one recorded Nov. 11. In a large earthquake, surface waves can buzz around the globe multiple times.

But there was no earthquake large enough to fuel a wave like the one recorded across such a widespread area, and no P- or S-waves were recorded. Even more bizarre, the waves that stemmed from Mayotte were too clean-cut and uniform compared to a normal earthquake, which has waves of differing frequencies.

(MORE: New Zealand Islands Inching Closer Together)

Scientists suggest that the recent strange waves are linked to an earthquake swarm that's been taking place off the Mayotte coast for months. Several hundred seismic events have shaken Mayotte since its start in May — the largest being a magnitude 5.8, strong enough to be the largest in the island's recorded history — but no regular earthquakes were recorded where the enigmatic shaking took place in mid-November.

It's been proposed that, with what's known about the seismic swarm off the coast, the waves could've been caused by new volcanic activity emerging off Mayotte. This theory would compliment the fact that Mayotte has moved some 2.4 inches east and 1.2 inches south since the swarm began due to the movement of large amounts of magma, an analysis by the country's National Institute of Geographical and Forest Information suggests.

"These observations therefore back up the hypothesis of a combination of tectonic and volcanic effects accounting for a geological phenomenon involving a seismic sequence and a volcanic phenomenon," the BRGM wrote, adding that their hypothesis will have to be backed by future studies.

But for now, the cause of the mystery waves remains unknown.