The Name of the Wind

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
SimeonTurner
I've got wood!
I've got wood!

The Name of the Wind

Post by SimeonTurner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:27 pm

People...if you are into the fantasy genre at all, and you have not yet done so, I would HIGHLY recommend Patrick Rothfuss. His first book, "The Name of the Wind," was published in 2007, and it was followed a few months ago by the second book in the trilogy, "The Wise Man's Fear.

All I can say is that these two books have altered the way I see the world. I can tell you that there are only about 3 other books/series that have ever done something like that.

In case you need more than my recommendation, here's a link to some reviews from Amazon:

The Name of the Wind

The Wise Man's Fear

I read the first book 2 weeks ago. I read the second one in 3 days over the past weekend. They are that good. A year ago, had someone asked me to list any fantasy authors that I felt HAD to be read, I would have listed Tolkien, Lewis, and that's about it (again, HAD to be read, not just worth reading). Now I would without hesitation include Rothfuss in that list (as well as Guy Gavriel Kay, but that's for another thread).

Go improve the quality of your life and read his stuff. Then come and talk to me about it. ;)

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks. It's in my Amazon basket.

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 pm

I'm reading it now. Not bad. Reserving judgment.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Mariah. They call the wind, "Mariah."
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

OldWorldSwine

Post by OldWorldSwine » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:06 pm

Del wrote:Mariah. They call the wind, "Mariah."
Thanks, Del! I needed that.

:D :D

Now... can you sing like Robert Goulet?
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:10 pm

OldWorldSwine wrote:

I think his singing has been unfavorably compared to caterwauling. Or maybe it was mating Yaks. I can't remember.
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Wow, sounds interesting...

I've been looking for a good series to start. Been a while since I read a series.

The only thing that may stop me from reading this is that the series is not complete. Quite a few times I've started a series, only to discover that the remaining books were not available yet, and that's where I ended, waiting but never getting back to it. So, I'll most likely wait on this until the 3rd book is available (and is getting good reviews-I hate it when a series go downhill).

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Spyderweb wrote:Wow, sounds interesting...

I've been looking for a good series to start. Been a while since I read a series.

The only thing that may stop me from reading this is that the series is not complete. Quite a few times I've started a series, only to discover that the remaining books were not available yet, and that's where I ended, waiting but never getting back to it. So, I'll most likely wait on this until the 3rd book is available (and is getting good reviews-I hate it when a series go downhill).
True enough, but sometimes a series takes a while to hit its stride- one of my favorites, "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" by Stephen R. Donaldson didn't really hit its stride until the second book of the second trilogy (in the eyes of reviewers- I thought the first two trilogies were practically flawless across the board.)

Meh Meh Meh.

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:25 pm

MacGuru wrote:

True enough, but sometimes a series takes a while to hit its stride- one of my favorites, "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" by Stephen R. Donaldson didn't really hit its stride until the second book of the second trilogy (in the eyes of reviewers- I thought the first two trilogies were practically flawless across the board.)
I love that series; thought of that while reading the reviews of this series. Kind of hated Thomas the anti-hero, but at the same time felt sorry for him.

Mick
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Mick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 pm

:( Somebody beat me to it
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy! - Jeremy Myers

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Spyderweb wrote:
MacGuru wrote:

I love that series; thought of that while reading the reviews of this series. Kind of hated Thomas the anti-hero, but at the same time felt sorry for him.
I guess that was the attraction, to me- a deeply flawed human being, unheroic in every possible way, yet somehow called to his redemption- I think it was those deep flaws that drew me to him.

Meh Meh Meh.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:21 am

OldWorldSwine wrote:

Me too...Thanks Del
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 am

MacGuru wrote:
OldWorldSwine wrote:

I think his singing has been unfavorably compared to caterwauling. Or maybe it was mating Yaks. I can't remember.
I'm told that I may not be the best singer in church, but I'm certainly the loudest.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!

Post by Bigwill » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:07 am

MacGuru wrote:
OldWorldSwine wrote:

I compared it to Gilbert Godfried singing opera, just yesterday...
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 am

Reading The Name of the Wind now. Really enjoying it.

I asked my younger fellow co-workers about their favorite books in the fantasy genre - a liking for which we have in common - and they all recommended Patrick Rothfuss as must read for the genre.
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

SimeonTurner
I've got wood!
I've got wood!

Post by SimeonTurner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm depressed because i DEVOURED the second book, and now I have to wait for who knows how long for the third.

My only solace is that A Dance With Dragons came out (George R. R. Martin's newest). Of course, now that's half way done too, so in a couple of days I will be double depressed, with no new book to fill the void. :(

I may have to make a pipe or something just to make it through.

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:23 am

SimeonTurner wrote:I'm depressed because i DEVOURED the second book, and now I have to wait for who knows how long for the third.
Yep, I've done that before - most recently with Tolkien's Children of Hurin. I did that just last Summer, and remember that feeling well.

I'm really trying to savor The Name of the Wind by:

1) Always reading with a lit pipe.
2) Giving the pipe preferential treatment over my reading.
3) Fully visualizing all of the scenes in my mind.

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:06 pm

I've only one fourth left of the book to go and am starting to feel sad about coming to the end of it. This is an excellent book. Fortunately the second "The Wise Man's Fear" is in my possession so there is more to which I can look forward.

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Re:

Post by Adam Z » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 am

SimeonTurner wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:19 pm
I'm depressed because i DEVOURED the second book, and now I have to wait for who knows how long for the third.

My only solace is that A Dance With Dragons came out (George R. R. Martin's newest). Of course, now that's half way done too, so in a couple of days I will be double depressed, with no new book to fill the void. :(

I may have to make a pipe or something just to make it through.
+7 years later, this poor chap is still waiting for both Rothfuss AND Martin to finish writing the next volume in their respective fantasy series. :headwall:

How many pipes have you made?

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: The Name of the Wind

Post by FredS » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:58 am

Simeon checked out long ago. Most of the fellas who commented in this thread have checked out.

Dang man.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe