Great Potato Chips in History

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Re: Great Potato Chips in History

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Shouldn't we be discussing nachos?
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:22 pm

wosbald wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:25 pm
+JMJ+

Hartville Kettle Cooked — O.K. No, not "Okay" as in "Oll Korrect". "O.K." as in an achingly absent comestible. A delicacy now a memory. You might object, "But O.K. is still made in Michigan." "Hell, no!," I reply. You keep those O.K.s-in-name-only. Those pretenders to the crown. O.K. died in the early 90's, and I'll have no truck with the man who says otherwise. Suffice it to say that O.K. was a quiet-but-crucial footnote haunting the mazedly twisted mists of regional chipping history. A notable local made in Akron, OH., O.K.'s quiet plying of its trade — proving that "silent, but savorsome" is more than just a ridiculously tired trope — made its masticious marque. But then — ah! — it was gone, aped only the the aforementioned Chip Which Shall Not Be Named. Yet the original owners are now back at it, scratching a living at making a product that truly earns the descriptor "unique". Thickly cut, yet with a friable crumb, there are little-to-no shards to pummel scar-weary squamous. These honest, no-frill farm-specfic (check the bag!) potatoes are lightly-salted, allowing them to speak in their own voices. They're back. Maybe not for ever. But for now, at least. And that's just okay by me.
This read like a Psalm, sir. The painful longing, the quiet faith that the Chip itself shall endure for those who are faithful followers of their unknowable peregrinations. I was actually quite moved by it.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:20 am

The local store has just recently been selling Herr's brand in special display cases. I'd never even heard of Herr's but I'm here to tell you that they're the king of chips and cheese curls. Well, the king of punch you in the mouth flavors.

I just had me some Horseradish & Cheddar chips 8O so amazing.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:39 am

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:22 pm
This read like a Psalm, sir. The painful longing, the quiet faith that the Chip itself shall endure for those who are faithful followers of their unknowable peregrinations. I was actually quite moved by it.
:taco:

We need a dancing chip, dammit.

=============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
tuttle wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:20 am
The local store has just recently been selling Herr's brand in special display cases. I'd never even heard of Herr's but I'm here to tell you that they're the king of chips and cheese curls. Well, the king of punch you in the mouth flavors.

Wait 'til they do their Father's Day branding. That's fun. Dunno if they'll do it this year, though. Haven't seen it in a few years, but then again, I'm in OH and the production might not always make it here.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 am

wosbald wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:39 am
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:

=============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
tuttle wrote:

Wait 'til they do their Father's Day branding. That's fun. Dunno if they'll do it this year, though. Haven't seen it in a few years, but then again, I'm in OH and the production might not always make it here.

They have a Kansas City Strip flavor. It actually tastes like steak.

[EDIT] it's Prime Steak Flavor
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am

Jester wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 am
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:

tuttle wrote:

Do you know how many times I've said to myself, "Paulie, what this world needs is a crunchy potato chip that tastes like a steak."?

Precisely none.

This is how you get a completely disposable society like Japan, boys. Slow your roll.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am
Jester wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:

tuttle wrote:

Do you know how many times I've said to myself, "Paulie, what this world needs is a crunchy potato chip that tastes like a steak."?

Precisely none.

This is how you get a completely disposable society like Japan, boys. Slow your roll.
Is this flavor of chip keto friendly?
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:46 pm

wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:

Best I could do.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:48 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:46 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:

Best I could do.

It’s a dancing cow pie!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 pm

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:46 pm
wosbald wrote:

Best I could do.

Oh, oft immiserated chip! When shall you enter into your due?!?

============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Jester wrote:
wosbald wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Mmmm … Steak & Potato

Munchin' on some of these right now. Sweet, sweet BBQ cheez.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:53 am

Jester wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:

tuttle wrote:

Someone brought some of these into work...they taste like steak at first...but the taste lasts and it gets kind of funky...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:12 pm

+JMJ+

ImageImage

Boulder Canyon's Exotic Oils: "Coconut Oil – Sea Salt" & "Rice Bran Oil – Himalayan Pink Salt" — Exotic oils. Huiles exotiques. Evidently, Boulder revels in such unctuous pleasures. Long have they trafficked in Olive and Avocado oils. Now, they add two new iterations to their stable. And though descrying the distinctive lineaments of diverse oils through the sedimented layers of bold seasonings might well be a handicap, the simple savor of salt provides no such impediment. Rather, every nuance is free to shine numinously. Coconut oil — though perhaps something of a cliché in these chip-weary days — lands its dependable double-punch of distinct aromatics and frangible texture on unwary palates. Less dramatically, though no less deliciously, Rice Bran oil adds a marvelously bitter finish and a friable texture to an overarchingly subtle presentation (Himalayan Pink notwithstanding). Top-quality spuds and an irrepressible enthusiasm for chip couture are hallmarks of Boulder, who — by the strength of these offerings — prove themselves once again to be at the top of their game.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:18 pm

B-B-Q flavored potato chips and macaroni salad.
It's what Summer tastes like.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:15 pm
This should be a blog.
http://www.potatochipworld.com/
This blog should compete with that blog. I find it entertaining in the extreme. I rarely eat potato chips but I always click on this topic. That should tell you something.
Indeed. This is the most interesting thread on CPS. There should be a Morley named for it to celebrate the year’s most (or least) interesting thread.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Wozzie, where do you find and obtain all these lesser-known varieties? Amazon? chipstore.com?

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:33 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:04 pm
Wozzie, where do you find and obtain all these lesser-known varieties? Amazon? chipstore.com?
He's a button man for the Lavender Mafia, paid in potato chips.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:33 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:04 pm
He's a button man for the Lavender Mafia, paid in potato chips.
Ah, the boyhood dream.