Great Potato Chips in History

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Great Potato Chips in History

Post by wosbald » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:56 pm

+JMJ+

[Editor's Note: Today's entry is the 2nd in our Jalapeño Series. For the 1st entry, Click Here.]

Cape Cod Sweet & Spicy Jalapeño — The damnable specificity of Jalapeño imposes a solemn obligation upon the nation's army of chiptechs, viz., instantiating a flavor so belovedly distinct, that any reticence to release a signature iteration could only be seen as a first-order sin of omission. Yet, it also issues a challenge. Which is to say, how, pray tell, to do it? Cape Cod's strategy is twofold. First, employ visible flakes — distinct shards, actually — of desiccated Jalapeño. Second, judiciously temper the incendiary fury of this piquant condiment with the sheepish saccharinity of pure, crystalline sugar. The outcome of this strategy is a felicitous, if vaguely aloof and underwhelming, pairing. Typical of most Cape Cod products — with possible exceptions, such as Salt & Vinegar — the flavor profile is titled toward sophisticated subtlety. These are chips that quietly delight when showcased a cappella, each voice in the ensemble receiving its meet and due with mindful sobriety. Paired with a burger or a dog, however, this same evanescent luminosity might be summarily extinguished by the riotous jouissance engendered by these humbler foodstuffs.

ImageImage

"For this reason, on June 1, 1951 … we did speak of the right of people to migrate, which right is founded in the very nature of land."
— Pope Pius XII, Exsul Familia Nazarethana

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:18 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:56 pm
+JMJ+

[Editor's Note: Today's entry is the 2nd in our Jalapeño Series. For the 1st entry, Click Here.]

Cape Cod Sweet & Spicy Jalapeño — The damnable specificity of Jalapeño imposes a solemn obligation upon the nation's army of chiptechs, viz., instantiating a flavor so belovedly distinct, that any reticence to release a signature iteration could only be seen as a first-order sin of omission. Yet, it also issues a challenge. Which is to say, how, pray tell, to do it? Cape Cod's strategy is twofold. First, employ visible flakes — distinct shards, actually — of desiccated Jalapeño. Second, judiciously temper the incendiary fury of this piquant condiment with the sheepish saccharinity of pure, crystalline sugar. The outcome of this strategy is a felicitous, if vaguely aloof and underwhelming, pairing. Typical of most Cape Cod products — with possible exceptions, such as Salt & Vinegar — the flavor profile is titled toward sophisticated subtlety. These are chips that quietly delight when showcased a cappella, each voice in the ensemble receiving its meet and due with mindful sobriety. Paired with a burger or a dog, however, this same evanescent luminosity might be summarily extinguished by the riotous jouissance engendered by these humbler foodstuffs.
Really nice looking bag of potato chips, there. Makes me wanna go out and get some. But that would be no good for i'd eat the entire bag.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 am

+JMJ+

Herr's Red Hot — Ah! The Pennsylvania Hot Chip! That notable subspecies of piquancy flourishing most celebratorily in that eastern demesne of chip culture — an oriental crucible furtively distilling divers iterations of heat and sweet! Herr's, a brand which only uncommonly migrates to these more-western hinterlands, has been quietly following its bliss for many years. And aye, they produce yet-another-hot-chip that is anything but an also-ran. The base chip is typical Penn fare: standard chipping potatoes, thin-cut and unassuming — IOW, classic — though cooked in vegetable oil rather than the lard common in some of the Keystone's cottage marques. In terms of seasoning, this seems to fall somewhere between Utz and Gibble's. Not so austerely and penetratingly hot as the former, nor quite as exuberantly sweet and gracious as the latter. As Snyder of Berlin — though a rather ubiquitous brand in Ohio — rarely consigns shipments of their Red Hot crispies to these-here-parts, their particular progeny are, here, excluded from consideration.

ImageImage

"For this reason, on June 1, 1951 … we did speak of the right of people to migrate, which right is founded in the very nature of land."

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:47 pm

wosbald wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 am
+JMJ+

Herr's Red Hot — Ah! The Pennsylvania Hot Chip! That notable subspecies of piquancy flourishing most celebratorily in that eastern demesne of chip culture — an oriental crucible furtively distilling divers iterations of heat and sweet! Herr's, a brand which only uncommonly migrates to these more-western hinterlands, has been quietly following its bliss for many years. And aye, they produce yet-another-hot-chip that is anything but an also-ran. The base chip is typical Penn fare: standard chipping potatoes, thin-cut and unassuming — IOW, classic — though cooked in vegetable oil rather than the lard common in some of the Keystone's cottage marques. In terms of seasoning, this seems to fall somewhere between Utz and Gibble's. Not so austerely and penetratingly hot as the former, nor quite as exuberantly sweet and gracious as the latter. As Snyder of Berlin — though a rather ubiquitous brand in Ohio — rarely consigns shipments of their Red Hot crispies to these-here-parts, their particular progeny are, here, excluded from consideration.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:15 pm

This should be a blog.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:15 pm
This should be a blog.
http://www.potatochipworld.com/
Praying - coco
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
This blog should compete with that blog. I find it entertaining in the extreme. I rarely eat potato chips but I always click on this topic. That should tell you something.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
This blog should compete with that blog. I find it entertaining in the extreme. I rarely eat potato chips but I always click on this topic. That should tell you something.
You can't read just one?
Praying - coco

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:43 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:22 pm
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
You can't read just one?
Indeed. I think Crux should pick these reviews up and publish them. Part of the Catholic Legion of Snacks, you know

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:50 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:43 pm
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
You can't read just one?
Indeed. I think Crux should pick these reviews up and publish them. Part of the Catholic Legion of Snacks, you know
What are your thoughts on Pringles?
Praying - coco

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:00 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:50 pm
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
You can't read just one?
A clear product of the Enlightenment mentality that because something can be, it follows that it should be. Modernity distilled in chip form. Frankly, they're a direct result of Protestantism.

Did you know that they cannot be legally marketed as potato chips? Sometimes the government is your friend.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:00 pm
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
You can't read just one?
A clear product of the Enlightenment mentality that because something can be, it follows that it should be. Modernity distilled in chip form. Frankly, they're a direct result of Protestantism.
Sola Chipe will make you fatte.
Praying - coco

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:20 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:03 pm
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
You can't read just one?
Indeed. Spud munching in general is highly suspect behavior. I might have to accept the Irish as my co-religionists, but their cuisine is for the birds.

We make exception for the freedom fry, that Belgian innovation masquerading under a French nom de guerre. It is widely accepted that, consumed in moderation, they will lead both to a fine figure and a particular.sweetness of breath seldom found in American diets.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:20 pm
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
You can't read just one?
Indeed. Spud munching in general is highly suspect behavior. I might have to accept the Irish as my co-religionists, but their cuisine is for the birds.

We make exception for the freedom fry, that Belgian innovation masquerading under a French nom de guerre. It is widely accepted that, consumed in moderation, they will lead both to a fine figure and a particular.sweetness of breath seldom found in American diets.
I listened to an episode of "Revisionist History" this week about French fries. They said McD's stopped cooking the fries in Beef Tallow around 1990. Fries haven't been the same since. It's a darn shame.
Praying - coco

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:31 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

You can't read just one?

I listened to an episode of "Revisionist History" this week about French fries. They said McD's stopped cooking the fries in Beef Tallow around 1990. Fries haven't been the same since. It's a darn shame.
Yay, I remembereth also when the King of Burgers did decree a new recipe for his fries. Most joyously did my father and I repair to his eatery in order to taste the new confection. Saddening to behold was our reaction upon learning that Pittsburgh had been the test market a full 12 months past. Dust and ashes did the meal become in our mouths.

At least they took the pork out of their Chicken McNuggets in the 80's. The Hebrews were not amused.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:31 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

You can't read just one?

Yay, I remembereth also when the King of Burgers did decree a new recipe for his fries. Most joyously did my father and I repair to his eatery in order to taste the new confection. Saddening to behold was our reaction upon learning that Pittsburgh had been the test market a full 12 months past. Dust and ashes did the meal become in our mouths.

At least they took the pork out of their Chicken McNuggets in the 80's. The Hebrews were not amused.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_oem9BqUTI
Praying - coco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 am

+JMJ+

Snyder of Berlin Original Bar-B-Q — The barbecue chip is a controversial phenomenon. A somewhat Quasimodean contender for chipheads' attentions. Polarizing even, perhaps. Such may be the fated burden borne by barbeque. An obligatory chip, offered by all — in often divers forms — and submitted to the vagaries of a market steeped in both stolidity and caprice. Yet a few noble exemplars manage to rise above this oft-sordid fray. Such is Snyder's original iteration of the bbq chip. As a young chipling, this was one of my first initiations into that whirlingly cosmopolitan lifestyle that always accompanies the Way of the Earth Apple. My dad, returning from the day's hunt, would triumphantly bear and reverently breach the delicately filigreed foil bag adorned with a dimly glowing brick hearth framing a portentously theurgic cast-iron kettle. And smiles always abounded at this enigmatically saporous ceremony. Relatively delicate for a bbq chip, this has neither too much sweet nor too much heat. Not too tomatoey nor too peppery. The bag claims "Synder's Famous Bar-B-Q Seasoning", and you can believe it. Trust its full faith and credit. In a world supermarket shelves filled to the brim with a flavor-genre that everyone seems to love-to-hate — the Candy Corn of the Chipverse, if you will — Snyder's iteration is, for me, more than a benchmark. It's a taste of home.

ImageImage

Jester

Post by Jester » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 am

John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
You can't read just one?
English - All threads will written be in the English language. Threads and posts which are not written in English may be edited or deleted at the discretion of a Moderator.
Please include translations with any posts that are not in English with a credible translation. #INBEFORETHELOCK :D
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:31 am

Jester wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 am
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
You can't read just one?
English - All threads will written be in the English language. Threads and posts which are not written in English may be edited or deleted at the discretion of a Moderator.
Please include translations with any posts that are not in English with a credible translation. #INBEFORETHELOCK :D
I blame the public schools. They glorify mediocrity as if it should be their graduates' lifetime goal. Those who cannot even speak Latin of the porcine variety revel in the fact.

Also, hear, hear, Wosbald. Snyders BBQ is the gold standard, the non plus ultra (look it up if you have to, Jester) of chips.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:36 am

Jester wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 am
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
This should be a blog.
You can't read just one?
Phil Davis wrote:That's very funny. Ho, ho, ho. The crooner is becoming the comic.
Praying - coco