Cool in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Re: Cool in the News

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:33 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:22 pm
+JMJ+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSLe4HuKuK0
I see what you did there.

Speaking of which, from Babylon Bee:
Disney Confirms 'Frozen 2' Will Just Be 'Let It Go' On A Loop For 4 Hours
"Parents and kids alike will love coming to the theatre and hearing 'Let It Go' repeated in a loop over 60 times," said a company spokesperson. "It will simply be a magical time for all involved."
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:08 pm

“I Thought I Was Going Mad:” Pensioner Catches A Mouse That Kept Cleaning His Shed On A Trail Cam
72-year-old British man Stephen Mckears began to question his sanity when he started noticing objects had been moved around in his shed overnight. And they weren’t just being randomly placed, things like clips and screws were somehow finding themselves neatly packed back into a tub as if to chastise Mr. Mckears for his untidiness. Just who was this fastidious phantom, this organized apparition?
Video of fastidious mouse available in the article.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:24 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:02 am

Man faces animal cruelty charges after he allegedly abandoned a pet fish
https://www.witn.com/content/news/Man-f ... 86331.html

We take our oscar fish seriously here in NC.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:41 pm

+JMJ+

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu May 09, 2019 9:26 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:49 pm

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:42 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:25 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:42 am
+JMJ+

I remember watching the TV show as a kid. I'm not sure if I'm excited or horrified by this news.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 pm

+JMJ+
wosbald wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:17 pm
DUNE Adds Stellan Skarsgård to the Cast and He Will Play Baron Harkonnen

Are you excited for the new Dune film? Well, maybe I can further your interest by telling you that Stellan Skarsgård has signed on to be Baron Harkonnen who is one of the villains, “whose family previously ruled Arrakis and has a long hatred of the Atreides family, plotting with the galactic emperor to destroy it. He is also the uncle to the brutish character to be played by [Dave] Bautista.”
“Set in the distant future, Dune follows Paul Atreides, whose family assumes control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, jurisdiction over Arrakis is contested among competing noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature, as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s reign.”
Skarsgård is the latest to join the Denis Villeneuve directed film which is an adaptation of Frank Herbert’s novel. Bautista, Timothee Chalamet, and Rebecca Ferguson are the other members of the cast that have been revealed so far.

The film’s writers include Villeneuve, Eric Roth, and Jon Spaihts, and Villeneuve will be pulling triple duty as a producer alongside Cale Boyter and Mary Parent.

Via: THR

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed May 20, 2020 12:42 pm

+JMJ+

Behold Dune: An Exclusive Look at Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Oscar Isaac, and More [In-Depth]
HEAT WAVE: Timothée Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguson in Jordan. Filming in the landscape was “really surreal,” says Chalamet. PHOTO BY CHIABELLA JAMES

Feuding royals. A deadly planet. Before Star Wars or Game of Thrones, there was Frank Herbert’s legendary sci-fi novel. Part two of V.F.’s report on Denis Villeneuve’s new movie.

Timothée Chalamet remembers the darkness. It was the summer of 2019, and the cast and crew of Dune had ventured deep into the sandstone and granite canyons of southern Jordan, leaving in the middle of the night so they could catch the dawn on camera. The light spilling over the chasms gave the landscape an otherworldly feel. It was what they had come for.

“It was really surreal,” says Chalamet. “There are these Goliath landscapes, which you may imagine existing on planets in our universe, but not on Earth.”

Zendaya as Chani PHOTO BY CHIABELLA JAMES

They weren’t on Earth anymore, anyway. They were on a deadly, dust-dry battleground planet called Arrakis. In Frank Herbert’s epic 1965 sci-fi novel, Arrakis is the only known location of the galaxy’s most vital resource, the mind-altering, time-and-space-warping “spice.” In the new film adaptation, directed by Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 filmmaker Denis Villeneuve, Chalamet stars as the young royal Paul Atreides, the proverbial stranger in a very strange land, who’s fighting to protect this hostile new home even as it threatens to destroy him. Humans are the aliens on Arrakis. The dominant species on that world are immense, voracious sandworms that burrow through the barren drifts like subterranean dragons.

For the infinite seas of sand that give the story its title, the production moved to remote regions outside Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, where the temperatures rivaled the fiction in Herbert’s story. “I remember going out of my room at 2 a.m., and it being probably 100 degrees,” says Chalamet. During the shoot, he and the other actors were costumed in what the world of Dune calls “stillsuits” — thick, rubbery armor that preserves the body’s moisture, even gathering tiny bits from the breath exhaled through the nose. In the story, the suits are life-giving. In real life, they were agony. “The shooting temperature was sometimes 120 degrees,” says Chalamet. “They put a cap on it out there, if it gets too hot. I forget what the exact number is, but you can’t keep working.” The circumstances fed the story they were there to tell: “In a really grounded way, it was helpful to be in the stillsuits and to be at that level of exhaustion.”

The House Atreides, Left to Right: Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides, Stephen Mckinley Henderson as Thufir Hawat, Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides, Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica Atreides, Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck and Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho PHOTO BY CHIABELLA JAMES

It wouldn’t be Dune if it were easy. Herbert’s novel became a sci-fi touchstone in the 1960s, heralded for its world-building and ecological subtext, as well as its intricate (some say impenetrable) plot focusing on two families struggling for supremacy over Arrakis. The book created ripples that many see in everything from Star Wars to Alien to Game of Thrones. Still, for decades, the novel itself has defied adaptation. In the ’70s, the wild man experimental filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky mounted a quest to film it, but Hollywood considered the project too risky. David Lynch brought Dune to the big screen in a 1984 feature, but it was derided as an incomprehensible mess and a blight on his filmography. In 2000, a Dune miniseries on what’s now the SyFy channel became a hit for the cable network, but it is now only dimly remembered.

Villeneuve intends to create a Dune that has so far only existed in the imagination of readers. The key, he says, was to break the sprawling narrative in half. When Dune hits theaters on December 18, it will only be half the novel, with Warner Bros. agreeing to tell the story in two films, similar to the studio’s approach with Stephen King’s It and It Chapter Two. “I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” says Villeneuve. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

For Villeneuve, this 55-year-old story about a planet being mined to death was not merely a space adventure, but a prophecy. “No matter what you believe, Earth is changing, and we will have to adapt,” he says. “That’s why I think that Dune, this book, was written in the 20th century. It was a distant portrait of the reality of the oil and the capitalism and the exploitation — the overexploitation — of Earth. Today, things are just worse. It’s a coming-of-age story, but also a call for action for the youth.”

Director Denis Villeneuve and Javier Bardem on the set PHOTO BY CHIABELLA JAMES

[…]

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck PHOTO BY CHIABELLA JAMES

Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica Atreides PHOTO BY CHIABELLA JAMES

Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides PHOTO BY CHIABELLA JAMES.

[…]

Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho PHOTO BY CHIABELLA JAMES

In an intriguing change to the source material, Villeneuve has also updated Dr. Liet Kynes, the leading ecologist on Arrakis and an independent power broker amid the various warring factions. Although always depicted as a white man, the character is now played by Sharon Duncan-Brewster (Rogue One), a black woman. “What Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women, and wanted to write the role for a woman,” Duncan-Brewster says. “This human being manages to basically keep the peace amongst many people. Women are very good at that, so why can’t Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn’t Kynes be a woman?”

Sharon Duncan-Brewster as Liet Kynes. PHOTO BY CHIABELLA JAMES

As fans will know, there’s a vast menagerie of other characters populating Dune. There are humans called “mentats,” augmented with computerlike minds. Paul is mentored by two bravado warriors Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck, played by Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin. Dave Bautista plays a sinister Harkonnen enforcer Glossu Rabban, and Charlotte Rampling has a key role as the Bene Gesserit reverend mother. The list goes on. In the seemingly unlivable wilds of Arrakis, Javier Bardem leads the Fremen tribe as Stilgar, and Zendaya costars as a mystery woman named Chani, who haunts Paul in his dreams as a vision with glowing blue eyes.

The breadth of Dune is what has made it so confounding for others to adapt. “It’s a book that tackles politics, religion, ecology, spirituality — and with a lot of characters,” says Villeneuve. “I think that’s why it’s so difficult. Honestly, it’s by far the most difficult thing I’ve done in my life.” After finishing this first movie, he’ll just have to do it all over again.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Wed May 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:25 pm
wosbald wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:42 am
+JMJ+

I remember watching the TV show as a kid. I'm not sure if I'm excited or horrified by this news.
I hadn't been in this thread in over a year....

I'm horrified --- I saw Banana Splits and I said..."ooh, what?" then saw the R rating and went "waaaaaaahhht?" and I'm picking up my jaw from watching the rest of it.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning