THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Jocose » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:41 am

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:52 am

DEUS VULT!

wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President

Post by wosbald » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:27 am

+JMJ+

Sacred Scripture needs to be respected, valued, Vatican says
Credit: Pixabay

ROME — In preparation for the Sunday of the Word of God Jan. 24, the Vatican issued recommendations for the day as well as reminders on respecting the sacred Scriptures.

For example, liturgical books should be high-quality texts and not photocopies, and the ambo is reserved for specific moments in the liturgy and prayer, and should not be used for making commentaries or announcements, said a note from the Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments.

The note, released Dec. 19, was signed by Cardinal Robert Sarah, congregation prefect, and Archbishop Arthur Roche, secretary.

The note was a reminder that the Sunday of the Word of God, instituted by Pope Francis in 2019, is meant to reawaken in the clergy and the faithful “the importance and value of sacred Scripture for the Christian life, as well as the relationship between the word of God and the liturgy,” it said.

Though it is to be held every year on the third Sunday of Ordinary Time, which for 2021 is Jan. 24, “a day devoted to the Bible should not be seen as a yearly event but rather a year-long event, for we urgently need to grow in our knowledge and love of the Scriptures and of the risen Lord,” it said.

God continues to speak his word “and to break bread in the community of believers,” which is why Catholics need to “develop a closer relationship with sacred Scripture; otherwise, our hearts will remain cold and our eyes shut, inflicted as we are by so many forms of blindness.”

[…]

One should understand that “the books containing the readings from sacred Scripture stir up in those who hear a veneration for the mystery of God speaking to his people. For this reason, we ask that care be taken to ensure that these books are of a high quality and used properly.”

As such, “It is never appropriate to resort to leaflets, photocopies and other pastoral aids as a substitute for liturgical books.”

Because of the importance of the word of God, “the church invites us to pay special attention to the ambo from which it is proclaimed,” the note said.

The ambo is not “a functional piece of furniture, but a place that is in keeping with the dignity of the word of God, in correspondence with the altar,” which is why the ambo is reserved for the readings, the singing of the Responsorial Psalm and the Easter Proclamation.

“The homily and the intentions of the universal prayer can be delivered from it, while it is less appropriate to use it for commentaries, announcements or for directing singing,” it said.

The note also underlined the need to respect the arrangement of the biblical readings indicated in the Lectionary, “without replacing or removing them, and using only versions of the Bible approved for liturgical use.”

The homily should be used to help explain sacred Scripture and particular importance should be given to a period of silence for appropriately meditating on the word, it added.

Those who proclaim the word of God in the assembly, such as priests, deacons and readers, must be sufficiently prepared and familiar with the text to be proclaimed clearly and must avoid “all improvisation. It is possible to preface the readings with appropriate and short introductions,” however.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:53 pm

A Blessed Solemnity of Mary to you all!
The Council of Nicea rocks! :chili:
DEUS VULT!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:56 am

+JMJ+

Gloria Purvis' radio show 'Morning Glory' pulled from EWTN's airwaves
Gloria Purvis, host of the "Morning Glory" radio show, which was canceled by EWTN Dec. 30, is seen in January 2020 at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. (CNS/Sydney Clark)

An outspoken champion for racial justice has been pulled from the airwaves by conservative Catholic media conglomerate EWTN.

On Dec. 30, EWTN-owned Catholic News Agency reported that the radio show "Morning Glory," hosted by Gloria Purvis, would be replaced by "The Son Rise Morning Show," which "covers current affairs, inspirational interviews, and prayer."

Within hours of the announcement, the webpage for "Morning Glory" had been deleted from EWTN's website.

Purvis confirmed to NCR that EWTN's head of radio informed her on the morning of Dec. 30 that the show was canceled effective immediately and that no further reason was given. EWTN did not immediately respond to NCR's request for comment.

The decision to pull Purvis' show comes at a time in which the church and country are facing a reckoning on race and where Purvis had emerged as a leading voice in the American Catholic Church calling for greater action to combat racism.

In June, the Texas-based Guadalupe Radio Network — the largest EWTN radio affiliate in the U.S. — pulled the show, a move the network later said was "temporary" because of a "spirit of contention" growing among the hosts live on-air, according to a press release.

At the time, the head of EWTN, Michael Warsaw, told Catholic News Agency, " 'Morning Glory' remains part of the EWTN lineup and is still going strong!"

In response to the surprise decision by EWTN to cancel her show, Purvis told NCR, "I am looking forward to 2021 when I can continue to bring the light of the Gospel truth to the public square. We have to have these conversations as faithful Catholics, and I'm looking forward to all of the opportunities God has in store for me."

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:23 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:56 am
+JMJ+

Gloria Purvis' radio show 'Morning Glory' pulled from EWTN's airwaves
Gloria Purvis, host of the "Morning Glory" radio show, which was canceled by EWTN Dec. 30, is seen in January 2020 at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. (CNS/Sydney Clark)
Has anyone heard of this radio show?

Does anyone listen to it?

When the news of this cancellation is only reported by Fishwrap, one has to wonder whether it is relevant.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:34 am

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Viganò/QAnon/Deep State/Deep Church
Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"Mary Alone": pg 18 / pg 20 /pg 20
"Any QAnoners Here?": pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5
"Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism": pg 4 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg6 / pg 6 / pg 8
"THE CHRISTIAN THREAD": pg 8
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 63 / pg 64 / pg 65 / pg 65 / pg 66 / pg 66 / pg 73 / pg 84 / pg 120 / pg 123 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 127 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 128 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132

Now that EWTN has utterly disgraced itself by firing Gloria Purvis in the most cowardly way possible [In-Depth, Opinion]

Several things are in order:

First, a quick update: Gloria Purvis, a faithful sister and Catholic who has done and said nothing wrong as the host of Morning Glory was first selected for persecution and punishment in June by the Guadalupe Radio Network for speaking out as a Black Catholic against the sin of racism. Their phony charge? She had a “spirit of contention”.

Remember. These are the same sort of people who say, “We don’t care how many liberals we offend speaking Catholic TRVTH about abortion! We must obey God rather than men!” But when the offense is to white racists, all of a sudden the prattle is about how God is a God of peace and Black Catholics speaking about our 400 year old legacy of racism need to take a seat. So GRN silenced her with this “spirit of contention” baloney because they couldn’t point to a word she said that was actually contrary to the gospel. “Spirits” of this and that are wonderfully ghostly code words for “She was uppity” and “She made us uncomfortable”.

Meawhile, EWTN kept her on through the Summer of Protest because, while their MAGA donor base loathes all discussion of racism, it appears they did not want to draw too much attention to that. But now that Christmas break is here, protests are quelled by winter, everybody is distracted by the holidays, pandemic, and Trump’s assault on democracy, they can finally do what their MAGA donors demand and shut her up. So out she goes to be replaced by nice safe white ladies. What message does that send to every black Catholic in America? EWTN does not seem to care. It is really a Catholic network first anymore. It is a Trump network with smells and bells who purpose is to help its base of MAGA Catholics accessorize their politics with bits and pieces of Catholic aesthetics and those bits of Catholic teaching convenient to that ideology. This is why Raymond Arroyo can spend years on EWTN telling viewers that the grave intrinsic evil of torture is something they can support, whatever Evangelium Vitae says. The Bush torture regime demanded it and he delivered, Magisterium be damned. It’s why he can spend the pontificate of Francis cattily attacking him as a crypto-heretic, giving aid and comfort to those who assaulted Amazonian Catholics as pagan idolators, and giving copious space to Vigano’s false claims about Francis and his screams for his resignation — all while facing no challenge from EWTN and continuing to be held out as their Golden Boy. But let Gloria Purvis speak the truth about the sin of racism and this was highly inconvenient to that project, faithful, orthodox, and pious though she be.

Which brings me to my second point. Dawn Eden Goldstein did something yesterday that made me proud:

Therefore:

► Show Spoiler
And I am happy to see that it is catching on:

I hope others involved with the EWTN Empire will do the same and the donors of conscience will stop supporting this network. Michael Warsaw, if you are listening, I demand you take down every one of my appearances in the archives on Mother Angelica Live, The Journey Home, The Apostle of Common Sense, Jeff Cavins’ show, Bookmarks, Johnette Benkovic’s show, “The Surprise”, and Franciscan University Presents. Same with your radio franchise. Take them all off the air. I object strongly to having my name associated with a network that now promotes persecution of a sister in Christ for no cause other than speaking the truth of the gospel about race in America.

Finally, I urge every Catholic to read Dawn Eden Goldstein’s work on how Mammon has corrupted the work of EWTN. Here’s an excerpt, but read the whole thing:
EWTN’s firing of radio host Gloria Purvis this week further exposed what many observers have already known about the international Catholic media network: partisan politics plays an outsize role in determining which voices are heard there and which ones are silenced. In the words of Christopher Lamb, “it is Fox News under a Catholic cover.”

[…]

A Fortune Made Through Subprime Credit Cards

[…]

The Solidarity Association: Donating to the Legion of Christ and Beyond

[…]
Much, much more. Follow the money. EWTN is doing the Church far more harm than good. Don’t give it another nickel.
Last edited by wosbald on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:40 am

What a total qwar Wosbald has become.
Last edited by hugodrax on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:44 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:40 am
How very urbane of you.

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:46 am

AFRS wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:44 am
hugodrax wrote:
How very urbane of you.
Of all the shitstains that could have responded, I'm glad it was you. You're my favorite shitstain.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:46 am
AFRS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
How very urbane of you.
Of all the shitstains that could have responded, I'm glad it was you. You're my favorite shitstain.
I love you too, man!! :signofcross: :prayin: :poop: :grouphug:

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:07 pm

AFRS wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:46 am
AFRS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
How very urbane of you.
I love you too, man!! :signofcross: :prayin: :poop: :grouphug:
You are the best!

Genuine audible laughter.
—Marcus Aurelius

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:11 pm

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 152

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism": pg 4 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg6 / pg 6 / pg 8
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 63 / pg 64 / pg 65 / pg 65 / pg 66 / pg 66 / pg 73 / pg 84 / pg 120 / pg 123 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 127 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 128 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132
"President Trump is a problem...": pg 38

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:33 pm

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 152 / pg 152

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"President Trump is a problem...": pg 38

► Show Spoiler

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:27 pm

+JMJ+

Star NFL quarterback announces retirement on feast of athletes’ patron saint
Indianapolis Colts quarterback Philip Rivers is pictured in an undated photo. Rivers retired on the feast of St. Sebastian, patron saint of athletes. He will be the new head football coach at a Catholic high school in the Archdiocese of Mobile, Ala. (Credit: CNS photo/courtesy Indianapolis Colts)

FAIRHOPE, Alabama — After 17 seasons in the NFL, quarterback Philip Rivers will begin his next career as head football coach at St. Michael Catholic High School in Fairhope in the Mobile Archdiocese.

In May, the school named Rivers “head coach-in-waiting” whenever his playing career was over. Rivers played last season with the Indianapolis Colts and announced his retirement from the NFL Jan. 20, the feast of St. Sebastian, patron saint of athletes.

“Every year, Jan. 20 is a special and emotional day. It is St. Sebastian’s feast day, the day I played in the AFC championship without an ACL, and now the day after 17 seasons I am announcing my retirement from the NFL,” Rivers said in a statement released by the school.

[…]

“What has helped me come to this (decision) is the growing desire to coach high school football,” Rivers said. “That’s what I’ve always wanted to do. It’s been growing. I can’t wait.”

He added: “I can sit here and say, ‘I can still throw it. I love to play.’ But that’s always going to be there. I’m excited to go coach high school football.”

Rivers will follow in the footsteps of his father, Steve, a longtime high school football coach who’s in the Alabama High School Sports Hall of Fame. Rivers played high school football at Athens High School in northern Alabama, but has conducted football camps at St. Michael in recent summers.

He and his wife, Tiffany, are parents of nine children.

“We’re both thrilled and humbled about Philip joining our staff,” St. Michael principal Faustin Weber said. “His football credentials are impeccable — by any objective measure, he’s up there with the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all time. But what we’re most excited about is we believe he’ll promote our mission to form ‘scholars, leaders and disciples of Jesus Christ’ in a powerful, credible way.”

“He’s devout in his faith, he’s a good father and husband, and he’ll be a great leader and example to our young men,” Weber added. “He’s also fiery and competitive, and we’re OK with that! We feel incredibly blessed to welcome Philip, his wife Tiffany and the whole Rivers clan to our community.”

St. Michael opened in the fall of 2016 and its football program went 2-7 in its third varsity season last fall. School athletic director Paul Knapstein served as interim head coach.

Rivers is expected on campus for spring practice, which will likely begin in late April or early May.

“This is an exciting time for St. Michael. We are extremely grateful to see Coach Rivers taking the reins to our program,” Knapstein told The Catholic Week, Mobile’s archdiocesan newspaper. “It is truly God’s providence that our program will be led by a person with Coach Rivers’ experience and character, both on the field and off.

“We’ve come a long way these first five years. We are excited to see where Coach Rivers and his staff will take us in the future.”

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:23 am

Blessed Feast Day of the Conversion of St. Paul to you all!
DEUS VULT!