THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:59 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:33 am
Del wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:24 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:50 pm
Lent.
What is it going to be like this year?
It feels like we've been doing lent ever since the 'rona lockdowns
Except for not going to daily mass because there ain't any
Confessions are hit and miss as well,

Any observations?
I suck at Lenten fasting.

I am fortunate here: We have daily Mass, frequent confession, and perpetual adoration. Our bishop threatened the County with a major lawsuit when they tried to shut down worship. Our local Catholic parents crowdfunded another lawsuit when they tried to shut down our private schools.

I have not done enough to appreciate our freedom.

Pipeson is planning to fast from political news media. It isn't even fun anymore. I think I will join him.
We were just informed that ashes on Ash Wednesday will be "sprinkled" over the head.
I'm torn about whether to participate.
My gut reaction is NO!
Lots of latitude for personal, prudential judgment here. You can enter into Lent without having to wear ashes.

I gut says the same as yours. Sprinkling ashes sounds as lame as "sprinkling" a baptism.

One year, I missed the application of ashes.... because the parish I was visiting performed that dreadful Tom Conry song. I kinda bolted from the nave, planning to get back just in time to get the last application. But the song lasted longer than the line.

I hate to be "that guy," but I react very poorly to disruptive music.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:32 am

Del wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:59 pm

One year, I missed the application of ashes.... because the parish I was visiting performed that dreadful Tom Conry song. I kinda bolted from the nave, planning to get back just in time to get the last application. But the song lasted longer than the line.

That is one freakin' horrible song! 8O
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:16 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:32 am
Del wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:59 pm

That is one freakin' horrible song! 8O
It's one of the Gather Hymnal greatest hits.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:28 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Del wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Lent.

Any observations?

I am fortunate here: We have daily Mass, frequent confession, and perpetual adoration. Our bishop threatened the County with a major lawsuit when they tried to shut down worship. Our local Catholic parents crowdfunded another lawsuit when they tried to shut down our private schools.

Pipeson is planning to fast from political news media. It isn't even fun anymore. I think I will join him.
We were just informed that ashes on Ash Wednesday will be "sprinkled" over the head.
My gut reaction is NO!
US Supreme Court has spoken! A step toward restoring Freedom of Religion in California!

Supreme Court Strikes Down Gavin Newsom’s Lockdown Ban on Indoor Church Services

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:28 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Del wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Lent.

Any observations?

My gut reaction is NO!
US Supreme Court has spoken! A step toward restoring Freedom of Religion in California!

Supreme Court Strikes Down Gavin Newsom’s Lockdown Ban on Indoor Church Services
We'll be back inside next Sunday :D

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:04 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:28 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Del wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Lent.

Any observations?

My gut reaction is NO!

We'll be back inside next Sunday :D
From the link:
Justice Gorsuch, joined by Thomas and Alito, wrote: “Today’s order should have been needless; the lower courts in these cases should have followed the extensive guidance this Court already gave.”

Previously, some states imposed numerical caps on indoor worship, regardless of the size of the house of worship, while allowing businesses to open to a percentage of their capacity. On the night before Thanksgiving 2020, the Supreme Court struck down New York Governor Cuomo’s 10- and 25-person caps on religious worship. The Supreme Court’s decision today found California’s policies in violation of precedent set in Agudath Israel and its companion case, Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn v. Cuomo.

wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President

Post by wosbald » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:54 am

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 am

Communio Circles get a shout out in the National Catholic Register
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/communio-study-circles.
This is kind of cool :D
I've been involved with our Fresno study circle for 18-19 years now.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 pm

+JMJ+

Good Friday: All you who pass this way, look and see [Opinion]
A crucifix is seen at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles on Palm Sunday, March 28. (CNS/Victor Aleman, courtesy of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles)

Every Good Friday, at St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington, one of the hymns we would sing during the veneration of the cross was the Taize chant: "All you who pass this way."

Like all Taize chants, it is haunting both in its plaintive simplicity and its beauty, always the most profound artistic combination. These are the words of the hymn:
All you who pass this way, look and see,
Is any sorrow like the sorrow that afflicts me,
Women of Jerusalem, do not weep for me,
But for yourselves and for your children.
Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.
My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
All you who pass this way, look and see.
Do we look? Do we see?

Of all the Christian holidays, this is the day from which there is no uplifting message to be drawn. There are no ethical lessons to be drawn: Today is about something deeper, something more primordial in Christian spirituality than mere ethics. It is the artists, not the essayists or theoreticians, who come closest to expressing the abysmal horror of this day, reaching into the depths of our souls. Can anyone listen to the hymn above and not get choked up? Can we gaze upon a sculpted or painted Pietà and be unmoved?

All Christian worship points us beyond the horizon of human cognition, but it is Good Friday that most distinguishes the Christian faith from all others. Moses died an old man as did Muhammad and the Buddha and Confucius. The idea of a crucified God is, as St. Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "a stumbling block to the Jews and folly to the gentiles" (1 Corinthians 1:23). It turns everything upside down. The Mystery, the Absolute, are always beyond the horizon, but Good Friday brings the Mystery into that most granular and tactile of human events, death.

Before the crucified Christ, we fall silent. It is fitting that the celebrant enters the sanctuary today in silence. It is fitting that today there is no organ music, no manmade instruments, in our liturgy, only the human voice. It is fitting that today the red vestments evoke both martyrdom and the presence of the Holy Spirit who alone permits us to see through the eyes of faith that this horrific, painful, dreadful image of a man being executed in such a cruel manner has become, for us, the very form of the beautiful.

No theologian in our time did more to retrieve the theological significance of beauty than the great Swiss theologian Hans Urs von Balthasar. In reflecting on the mystery revealed by the crucified Christ, he observed that the Catholic Church's "most essential forces — prayer, suffering, faithful obedience, readiness (perhaps unexploited), humility — elude all statistical analysis." Our Catholic faith is not hostile to reason, but it is out of sync with the Cartesian "cogito" and all of its varied, modern children. There is nothing utilitarian, nor commonsensical, nor pragmatic, about the crucified Christ. The need for self-assertion in our own time, the dyspeptic clamor for affirmation, these sit ill with the self-emptying model the crucified paints for us today.

We Christians are not wrong to fight injustices where we find them, but we are wrong when we fail to realize that our efforts will always fall short, that hatred will never be entirely stamped out and our hopes will never be entirely fulfilled, that the eschaton is always beyond our reach. Why is it we must fight for justice, for dignity, for our dreams, generation after generation? The Gloria at Mass, which returned after so long an absence at last night's liturgy, tells us that the Savior's birth was greeted by the angels with the promise of peace on earth to men of goodwill, but we are still waiting all these years later. We find a foretaste of that peace not in our own efforts, but here, in the body and blood of Christ offered for us at Calvary and offered again and again at the altar.

The corpus on the crucifix is one of the distinctive aspects of our Catholic faith. I remember being 13 and starting to visit churches of other denominations. I was learning to play the organ and never tired of trying new instruments. I noticed that the Episcopal churches and the Lutheran churches and the Congregational churches, their crosses never had a corpus. They were bare. Tasteful. Less gruesome.

All you who pass this way, look and see. The grim and gruesome corpus demands our attention. Look and see. Say nothing. "This is the wood of the Cross, on which hung the Savior of the world. Come, let us worship."

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:11 am

wosbald wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 pm
+JMJ+

Good Friday: All you who pass this way, look and see [Opinion]

A crucifix is seen at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles on Palm Sunday, March 28. (CNS/Victor Aleman, courtesy of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles)
There is nothing overtly false in this article, but please stop posting articles from Fishwrap in the Catholic Thread as if they are authentic Catholicism.

Fishwrap is a bunch of leftwing activists who use Catholic language -- and the gullibility of Catholic Americans -- to further their politics. Our faith is a tool for their activism.

They are preaching the leftist Prosperity Gospel -- striving for that secular utopia on earth -- "that the Savior's birth was greeted by the angels with the promise of peace on earth to men of goodwill, but we are still waiting all these years later." (from your link)
=======================

On this Good Friday, all Christians are called to embrace the Cross with Christ. Christians in America are called to embrace the chastisement that is upon us.

We must embrace our sufferings with Christ. Because when Good encounters Evil, there is always suffering. And Evil is coming strong upon us.

We must encourage each other to remain faithful as insane notions of race and gender are being pressed upon our children in the government schools.

We must not lose hope, as our government crowds growing numbers of Catholic children in concentration camps on our borders.

We continue to weep, as more than 2500 children are killed every day by abortion -- and this killing is celebrated by the Fishwrap's beloved Democrat Party. They even want to force Catholics out of healthcare and charity for the poor because we won't support their murder.

No more Fishwrap. It has no place here.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:00 am

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Economic Magisterium/Integral Ecology/Seamless Garment/Fratelli Tutti
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 150 / pg 150 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 151

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"The Statement on Social Justice": pg 6
"Pro-life Bills/Laws": pg 15
"The Climate Change Thread": pg 14 / pg 14 / pg 15
"Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism": pg 9
"Economics": pg 6 / pg 6
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 65 / pg 121 / pg 121 / pg 122 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 130 / pg 130 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132 / pg 133 / pg 133
"Biden has done a ['X'] job so far": pg 17
"THE CHRISTIAN THREAD": pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11

Papal Preacher says divisions have 'wounded' Catholic Church
Pope Francis lies prostrate as he leads the Good Friday Liturgy of the Lord's Passion April 2, 2020, at the Altar of the Chair in St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican. (Credit: CNS photo/Andreas Solaro, pool via Reuters)

ROME — After reflecting on the biblical meaning of fraternity during the Vatican’s Passion of the Lord, the papal preacher on Good Friday lamented the disunity existing among Catholics.

“Fraternity among Catholics is wounded,” said Cardinal Raniero Cantalamessa. “Divisions between Churches have torn Christ’s tunic to shreds, and worse still, each shredded strip has been cut up into even smaller snippets. I speak of course of the human element of it, because no one will ever be able to tear the true tunic of Christ, his mystical body animated by the Holy Spirit.”

“In God’s eyes, the Church is ‘one, holy, catholic and apostolic’, and will remain so until the end of the world,” he said. “This, however, does not excuse our divisions, but makes them more guilty and must push us more forcefully to heal them.”

The “Passion of the Lord” service is the only liturgy presided over by the pope in which he’s not the homilist. Instead, the task falls on Cardinal Raniero Cantalamessa — elevated to the Church’s most exclusive club last year, after four decades serving as the preacher of the papal household.

[…]

Fraternity, Cantalamessa said, is built in the same way peace is built: “that is starting close by, with ourselves, not with great strategies and ambitious, abstract objectives. For us, that means universal fraternity starts with the Catholic Church.”

However, he noted that the Church is experiencing disunity.

“What is the most common cause of the bitter divisions among Catholics? It is not dogma, nor is it the sacraments and ministries, none of the things that by God’s singular grace we fully and universally preserve,” he said. “The divisions that polarize Catholics stem from political options that grow into ideologies taking priority over religious and ecclesial considerations and leading to complete abandon of the value and the duty of obedience in the Church.”

“In many parts of the world, these divisions are very real, even though they are not openly talked about or are disdainfully denied,” Cantalamessa continued. “This is sin in its primal meaning. The kingdom of this world becomes more important, in the person’s heart than the Kingdom of God.”

The papal preacher then said he believes every Catholic needs to make a “serious” examination of conscience when it comes to fueling these divisions, and “be converted.”

“Fomenting division is the work par excellence of the one whose name is ‘diabolos’ that is, the divider, the enemy who sows weeds, as Jesus referred,” Cantalamessa said. “We need to learn from Jesus’s example and the Gospel. He lived at a time of strong political polarization,” yet Jesus didn’t side with any of them, rejecting any attempt to be pulled towards one or the other.

The earliest Christian community, he noted, followed Jesus choice to not align to any political party, setting an example for pastors who are called to shepherd the entire flock entrusted to them, not a part of it. In this sense, pastors “need to be the first to make a serious examination of conscience. They need to ask themselves where it is that they are leading their flocks — to their position or Jesus’ position.”

Cantalamessa continued by arguing that the Second Vatican Council entrusted laypeople with the task of translating the social, economic and political implications of the Gospel into practice in different historical situations, always in a respectful and peaceful way.

[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco