THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:09 am
Hovannes wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:15 pm
Via Dolorosa,
so what was Simon the Cyrene there for?
St. Alphonsus Liqouri and Catherine Anne Emmerich appear to be at odds as to what role Simon played in the Via Dolorosa.

Lets see if I get this right.
According to Ligouri---The Jews, seeking Jesus' ultimate disgrace on the cross feared that Jesus would die before he could be crucified. Simon's role was to help keep Jesus alive until the crucifixion, but his refusal was symbolic of the Jewish community's denial of Christ according to Ligouri's version of the Way of the Cross devotion.

According to Emmerich---Simon was frightened and pressed into service by the Romans into helping Jesus carry the cross. When Jesus was scourged at the pillar, the roman with the scourge applied many more lashes than the custom---he wanted to kill Jesus at the pillar but was forced to stop by a superior as Jesus was supposed to die on the cross. Jesus should have succumbed to the scourging but it wasn't provided. Simon the Cyrene was pressed into service when it looked like Jesus would die on the way to Calvary. He was very much provided and while struggling he accepted his predicament and offered Jesus what consolation he was able as a kindred spirit under the physical weight, foreshadowing the crosses we all must bear.

Mark, Luke and Matthew don't really get much into the Cyrene other than to count him present in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So Liqouri=Simon the schmuck
Emmrich=Simon the role model.

This distracted me this afternoon at the Stations of the Cross being offered in the Ligourian tradition.
Which is it? I'd like to know!
I'd love to answer you, but this thread only exists for Wosbald to gaze at Pope Francis' navel.
Hater alert!

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:02 pm

+JMJ+

Vatican confirms that canonization of Paul VI set for October
Blessed Pope Paul VI is carried on the "sedia gestatoria," a ceremonial throne, during a meeting of the Second Vatican Council in 1964. (Credit: Giancarlo Giuliani/Catholic Press Photo via CNS.)

ROME – Adding specificity to what was already known about the impending canonization of Blessed Paul VI in 2018, Italian Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the pope’s top deputy as the Vatican’s Secretary of State, said Tuesday that the sainthood rite will take place in late October at the close of a meeting of the Synod of Bishops, an institution Paul VI himself founded.

Pope Francis in mid-February confirmed that Paul VI would be elevated to the ranks of the saints within the year during a Q&A session with priests and deacons from the Diocese of Rome, with the Vatican afterwards releasing an official transcript of the pontiff’s remarks.

When he made the announcement, Francis joked that he and former pontiff Benedict, who resigned in 2013 and is now 90 years old, “are on the waiting list.”

[…]

Pope Paul will become the third pontiff that Francis has made a saint since his election five years ago. The others are John XXIII, who died in 1963, and John Paul II, who died in 2005.

Parolin was speaking on Tuesday at a plenary meeting of the International Catholic Migration Commission in Rome, recalling that as the “substitute” of Pius XII, the future Paul VI was involved in setting up the group’s statutes in the 1950s.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:29 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:02 pm
+JMJ+

Vatican confirms that canonization of Paul VI set for October
Blessed Pope Paul VI is carried on the "sedia gestatoria," a ceremonial throne, during a meeting of the Second Vatican Council in 1964. (Credit: Giancarlo Giuliani/Catholic Press Photo via CNS.)

ROME – Adding specificity to what was already known about the impending canonization of Blessed Paul VI in 2018, Italian Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the pope’s top deputy as the Vatican’s Secretary of State, said Tuesday that the sainthood rite will take place in late October at the close of a meeting of the Synod of Bishops, an institution Paul VI himself founded.

Pope Francis in mid-February confirmed that Paul VI would be elevated to the ranks of the saints within the year during a Q&A session with priests and deacons from the Diocese of Rome, with the Vatican afterwards releasing an official transcript of the pontiff’s remarks.

When he made the announcement, Francis joked that he and former pontiff Benedict, who resigned in 2013 and is now 90 years old, “are on the waiting list.”

[…]

Pope Paul will become the third pontiff that Francis has made a saint since his election five years ago. The others are John XXIII, who died in 1963, and John Paul II, who died in 2005.

Parolin was speaking on Tuesday at a plenary meeting of the International Catholic Migration Commission in Rome, recalling that as the “substitute” of Pius XII, the future Paul VI was involved in setting up the group’s statutes in the 1950s.
50th anniversary of Humanae vitae.

Paul VI was a prophet, in our own time, and we did not listen to his warnings.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Mister, if you ask me, half the problem came when we got rid of the seda gestatoria. No pomp and half arsed bishops ain't got no problem sending dubia.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:23 am

Here's a guardian angel prayer that's been going around:

A prayer to my children's guardian angels

I humbly salute you, O you faithful, heavenly friends of my children!
I give you heartfelt thanks for all the love and goodness you show them.
At some future day, I shall, with thanks more worthy than I can now give,
repay your care for them, and before the while heavenly court acknowledge their indebtedness to your guidance and protection.
Continue to watch over them.
Provide for all their needs of body and soul.
Pray likewise for me, for my spouse, and my whole family,
that we may one day rejoice in your blessed company. Amen.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Every evening, my local radio station does a throw back and shares trivia and five hit songs from the past. The year tonight is 1980 and they mentioned that the Vatican had endorsed "The Blues Brothers" as a Catholic classic. Who knew?

Also, I was in Chicago for a few days in 78 or 79 to pick up some awards for my 4H club (I was prez) and I watched the filming of parts of the police chase in the city. Those stunt drivers were legit and must have been doing 80mph as they whizzed by just inches from the columns for the L. Young FredS was impressed.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:24 pm
Every evening, my local radio station does a throw back and shares trivia and five hit songs from the past. The year tonight is 1980 and they mentioned that the Vatican had endorsed "The Blues Brothers" as a Catholic classic.
No! No. Not....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyBZE0kBtE
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Del

Post by Del » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:12 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm
Mister, if you ask me, half the problem came when we got rid of the seda gestatoria. No pomp and half arsed bishops ain't got no problem sending dubia.
ImageImage

Like the Arc of the Covenant.... a whole lot more biblical than the Popemobile.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:27 pm

"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:24 pm
Every evening, my local radio station does a throw back and shares trivia and five hit songs from the past. The year tonight is 1980 and they mentioned that the Vatican had endorsed "The Blues Brothers" as a Catholic classic. Who knew?

Also, I was in Chicago for a few days in 78 or 79 to pick up some awards for my 4H club (I was prez) and I watched the filming of parts of the police chase in the city. Those stunt drivers were legit and must have been doing 80mph as they whizzed by just inches from the columns for the L. Young FredS was impressed.
President FredS was probably in high school at the the time.

And it's still a Catholic classic.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:38 pm

+JMJ+

India joins in Pope Francis's '24 Hours for the Lord'
Members of the Sister Disciples of the Divine Master pray in front of the Eucharist in Mumbai, India. (Credit: Sister Disciples of the Divine Master.)

MUMBAI, India – A religious house of the Sister Disciples of the Divine Master in the Archdiocese of Bombay hosted a 24-hour Eucharistic adoration in response to Pope Francis’s call “to celebrate the sacrament of Reconciliation in the context of Eucharistic adoration.”

The community’s Prarthanalaya [House of Prayer] Chapel – located in the Bandra neighborhood, a center of Christianity in the city – was scheduled to be open for adoration from 7 a.m. on March 9 until 7 a.m. on March 10.

“The Blessed Sacrament was exposed after 6:30 am Mass this morning, and since then, people from all areas of the archdiocese have been coming for adoration,” said Sister Amita Mascarenhas.

She told Crux her order sees themselves as “the modern version of the women of the Gospel.”

“The center of our discipleship is our Divine Master who engages our minds, wills, hearts, and energies. He is our Way, our Truth, and our Life, perennially present in the Holy Eucharist,” she said.

Francis has sponsored the “24 Hours for the Lord” adoration project as an opportunity for people to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation during Lent.

The pope has asked that a church in every diocese around the world be open for 24 consecutive hours as part of the initiative.

[…]

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm having a private retreat at an abbey in Subiaco, AR in May.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:42 am

ryland wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
I'm having a private retreat at an abbey in Subiaco, AR in May.
I'm jealous!
Now I have to go to confession.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 am

'Tis the Feast day of the 40 Martyrs of Sebaste in the Western Church (March 9 in the East)
Does anyone know if Constantine got pissed at Agricola over this?

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:15 am

+JMJ+

Wuerl: ‘Enduring presence of Christ in Eucharist’ at heart of the faith
Washington Cardinal Donald W. Wuerl blesses a family following a March 4 Mass at the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle in Washington. (Credit: CNS photo/Jaclyn Lippelmann, Catholic Standard.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Spending time in adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is an opportunity “to reflect on something at the very heart of our faith - the enduring presence of Christ in the Eucharist,” Cardinal Donald W. Wuerl of Washington said March 8.

“As we make our way along our Lenten pilgrimage … we come together to recognize the presence of Jesus, not just in his words, not just in his actions, but in his enduring presence in the Eucharist,” Wuerl said.

Wuerl made his remarks during a Mass in the Crypt Church at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington to open the national shrine’s observance of “24 Hours for the Lord.”

[…]

Stressing “the real presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament,” the cardinal reminded those in the Crypt Church that “wherever the Sacrament is, there Christ is. Jesus chose to be with us (in the Blessed Sacrament) out of love for us.”

[…]

At the end of the Mass, the Blessed Sacrament was placed on the altar in an ornate monstrance, and Wuerl led the faithful in adoration and veneration.

“Offering adoration to Jesus in the Eucharist, the Blessed Sacrament, is a graced moment, one that brings us into the presence of our Lord,” Wuerl said. “It is truly a mystery but also a wonderful gift.”

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:00 am

+JMJ+

Catholic hospital attacked by mob in India
A mob attacked Pushpa Mission Hospital on March 12. (Credit: Father Antony/Archdiocese of Bhopal.)

MUMBAI, India - A Catholic hospital in India was attacked by a mob on March 12, leading to the destruction of the institution’s water and power supply. Several nurses were also injured in the attack.

The Pushpa Mission Hospital is located in Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, and is the oldest medical facility in the area.

Father Maria Stephen, the public relations officer for the Church in the Madhya Pradesh region, told Crux that the mob was made up of nearly 60 people, and also damaged the hospital gate, and terrified the hospital patients and staff.

A Church official said the mob was led by Gagan Singh, the personal secretary of Chintamani Malviya, a Member of Parliament.

The attack may be connected to a land disputed over a property adjacent to the hospital, which the Diocese of Ujjain had refused to hand over to Singh.

Bishop Sebastian Vadakel told Crux the attack is “definitely an act against the Christian community.”

[…]

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Arrived yesterday.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:54 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Arrived yesterday.
I've been looking at Mannsbeters more and more. Let me know what you think of that. Big beads? Looks like it has big beads. Sturdy chain?

I'm curious.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:28 am

+JMJ+

Rome's rival "AMs" put on great morning show over Vatican II
Left; Archbishop Agostino Marchetto, former secretary of the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for Migrants and Refugees,(Credit: YouTube.) Right; Alberto Melloni, a lay Italian church historian. (Credit: Wikipedia.)

ROME - Ironically enough, two of the leading Italian protagonists in battles over interpretation of the Second Vatican Council, which have defined Catholic debates for the past half-century, both sport the initials “A.M.” As if living up to their names, when the pair came together on Wednesday, the result was a rousing prime-time morning show.

The stars were Alberto Melloni, a lay Italian church historian, and Archbishop Agostino Marchetto, a former Vatican official and diplomat. They offered strikingly different answers to the same question: How did Vatican II understand the concept of “reform”?

For Marchetto, the most convincing reply to that question was given by Pope emeritus Benedict XVI in a now-famous Christmas address to the Roman Curia in December 2005: Change in Vatican II’s sense is neither “discontinuity” nor “rupture,” Benedict said, but “renewal in the continuity of the one subject, the Church, which the Lord has given to us.”

“The is the definitive hermeneutical key to the council, and has been from the beginning,” Marchetto said Wednesday. “It’s too bad it’s run into difficulty taking hold.”

For his part, Melloni insisted the unique thing about Vatican II is that the reform it wanted didn’t just look to the past, but was also open to the future.

“It was a reforming council that took it upon itself not to look just at evil and wounds, but to look at the face of Christ,” Melloni said.

“Vatican II introduced into discourse of the Church the idea that true reform isn’t just going back, but looking ahead,” Melloni said. “That’s not a matter of accommodation to the modern world, but on the contrary, of submission and obedience to the Gospel.”

Both men were speaking at a conference held at the Urbaniana University, where seminarians and other students from developing countries typically study in Rome. The gathering was titled “Reform of the Church and Reforms in the Church.”

Melloni is today director of the “Bologna school,” a research institute devoted to Vatican II and founded by historian Giuseppe Alberigo, which is widely seen as having produced the classic liberal Catholic reading of Vatican II. Marchetto, a former secretary of the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for Migrants and Refugees, is best known for his own conservative counter-reading of the council.

[…]

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:39 pm

The National Catholic Register on the Benedict XVI letter
http://www.ncregister.com/blog/edward-p ... ns.-vigano