THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44160
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:59 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:33 am
Del wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:24 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:50 pm
Lent.
What is it going to be like this year?
It feels like we've been doing lent ever since the 'rona lockdowns
Except for not going to daily mass because there ain't any
Confessions are hit and miss as well,

Any observations?
I suck at Lenten fasting.

I am fortunate here: We have daily Mass, frequent confession, and perpetual adoration. Our bishop threatened the County with a major lawsuit when they tried to shut down worship. Our local Catholic parents crowdfunded another lawsuit when they tried to shut down our private schools.

I have not done enough to appreciate our freedom.

Pipeson is planning to fast from political news media. It isn't even fun anymore. I think I will join him.
We were just informed that ashes on Ash Wednesday will be "sprinkled" over the head.
I'm torn about whether to participate.
My gut reaction is NO!
Lots of latitude for personal, prudential judgment here. You can enter into Lent without having to wear ashes.

I gut says the same as yours. Sprinkling ashes sounds as lame as "sprinkling" a baptism.

One year, I missed the application of ashes.... because the parish I was visiting performed that dreadful Tom Conry song. I kinda bolted from the nave, planning to get back just in time to get the last application. But the song lasted longer than the line.



I hate to be "that guy," but I react very poorly to disruptive music.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 29356
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:32 am

Del wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:59 pm




One year, I missed the application of ashes.... because the parish I was visiting performed that dreadful Tom Conry song. I kinda bolted from the nave, planning to get back just in time to get the last application. But the song lasted longer than the line.



I hate to be "that guy," but I react very poorly to disruptive music.
That is one freakin' horrible song! 8O
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44160
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:16 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:32 am
Del wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:59 pm




One year, I missed the application of ashes.... because the parish I was visiting performed that dreadful Tom Conry song. I kinda bolted from the nave, planning to get back just in time to get the last application. But the song lasted longer than the line.



I hate to be "that guy," but I react very poorly to disruptive music.
That is one freakin' horrible song! 8O
It's one of the Gather Hymnal greatest hits.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44160
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:28 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:33 am
Del wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:24 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:50 pm
Lent.
What is it going to be like this year?
It feels like we've been doing lent ever since the 'rona lockdowns
Except for not going to daily mass because there ain't any
Confessions are hit and miss as well,

Any observations?
I suck at Lenten fasting.

I am fortunate here: We have daily Mass, frequent confession, and perpetual adoration. Our bishop threatened the County with a major lawsuit when they tried to shut down worship. Our local Catholic parents crowdfunded another lawsuit when they tried to shut down our private schools.

I have not done enough to appreciate our freedom.

Pipeson is planning to fast from political news media. It isn't even fun anymore. I think I will join him.
We were just informed that ashes on Ash Wednesday will be "sprinkled" over the head.
I'm torn about whether to participate.
My gut reaction is NO!
US Supreme Court has spoken! A step toward restoring Freedom of Religion in California!

Supreme Court Strikes Down Gavin Newsom’s Lockdown Ban on Indoor Church Services
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 29356
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:28 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:33 am
Del wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:24 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:50 pm
Lent.
What is it going to be like this year?
It feels like we've been doing lent ever since the 'rona lockdowns
Except for not going to daily mass because there ain't any
Confessions are hit and miss as well,

Any observations?
I suck at Lenten fasting.

I am fortunate here: We have daily Mass, frequent confession, and perpetual adoration. Our bishop threatened the County with a major lawsuit when they tried to shut down worship. Our local Catholic parents crowdfunded another lawsuit when they tried to shut down our private schools.

I have not done enough to appreciate our freedom.

Pipeson is planning to fast from political news media. It isn't even fun anymore. I think I will join him.
We were just informed that ashes on Ash Wednesday will be "sprinkled" over the head.
I'm torn about whether to participate.
My gut reaction is NO!
US Supreme Court has spoken! A step toward restoring Freedom of Religion in California!

Supreme Court Strikes Down Gavin Newsom’s Lockdown Ban on Indoor Church Services
We'll be back inside next Sunday :D
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44160
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:04 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:28 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:33 am
Del wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:24 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:50 pm
Lent.
What is it going to be like this year?
It feels like we've been doing lent ever since the 'rona lockdowns
Except for not going to daily mass because there ain't any
Confessions are hit and miss as well,

Any observations?
I suck at Lenten fasting.

I am fortunate here: We have daily Mass, frequent confession, and perpetual adoration. Our bishop threatened the County with a major lawsuit when they tried to shut down worship. Our local Catholic parents crowdfunded another lawsuit when they tried to shut down our private schools.

I have not done enough to appreciate our freedom.

Pipeson is planning to fast from political news media. It isn't even fun anymore. I think I will join him.
We were just informed that ashes on Ash Wednesday will be "sprinkled" over the head.
I'm torn about whether to participate.
My gut reaction is NO!
US Supreme Court has spoken! A step toward restoring Freedom of Religion in California!

Supreme Court Strikes Down Gavin Newsom’s Lockdown Ban on Indoor Church Services
We'll be back inside next Sunday :D
From the link:
Justice Gorsuch, joined by Thomas and Alito, wrote: “Today’s order should have been needless; the lower courts in these cases should have followed the extensive guidance this Court already gave.”

Previously, some states imposed numerical caps on indoor worship, regardless of the size of the house of worship, while allowing businesses to open to a percentage of their capacity. On the night before Thanksgiving 2020, the Supreme Court struck down New York Governor Cuomo’s 10- and 25-person caps on religious worship. The Supreme Court’s decision today found California’s policies in violation of precedent set in Agudath Israel and its companion case, Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn v. Cuomo.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President
Posts: 23637
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:54 am


ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 29356
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 am

Communio Circles get a shout out in the National Catholic Register
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/communio-study-circles.
This is kind of cool :D
I've been involved with our Fresno study circle for 18-19 years now.
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

User avatar
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President
Posts: 23637
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 pm

+JMJ+

Good Friday: All you who pass this way, look and see [Opinion]
Image
A crucifix is seen at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles on Palm Sunday, March 28. (CNS/Victor Aleman, courtesy of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles)

Every Good Friday, at St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington, one of the hymns we would sing during the veneration of the cross was the Taize chant: "All you who pass this way."

Like all Taize chants, it is haunting both in its plaintive simplicity and its beauty, always the most profound artistic combination. These are the words of the hymn:
All you who pass this way, look and see,
Is any sorrow like the sorrow that afflicts me,
All you who pass this way, look and see,
Women of Jerusalem, do not weep for me,
But for yourselves and for your children.
All you who pass this way, look and see,
Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.
All you who pass this way, look and see,
My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
All you who pass this way, look and see.
Do we look? Do we see?

Of all the Christian holidays, this is the day from which there is no uplifting message to be drawn. There are no ethical lessons to be drawn: Today is about something deeper, something more primordial in Christian spirituality than mere ethics. It is the artists, not the essayists or theoreticians, who come closest to expressing the abysmal horror of this day, reaching into the depths of our souls. Can anyone listen to the hymn above and not get choked up? Can we gaze upon a sculpted or painted Pietà and be unmoved?

All Christian worship points us beyond the horizon of human cognition, but it is Good Friday that most distinguishes the Christian faith from all others. Moses died an old man as did Muhammad and the Buddha and Confucius. The idea of a crucified God is, as St. Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "a stumbling block to the Jews and folly to the gentiles" (1 Corinthians 1:23). It turns everything upside down. The Mystery, the Absolute, are always beyond the horizon, but Good Friday brings the Mystery into that most granular and tactile of human events, death.

Before the crucified Christ, we fall silent. It is fitting that the celebrant enters the sanctuary today in silence. It is fitting that today there is no organ music, no manmade instruments, in our liturgy, only the human voice. It is fitting that today the red vestments evoke both martyrdom and the presence of the Holy Spirit who alone permits us to see through the eyes of faith that this horrific, painful, dreadful image of a man being executed in such a cruel manner has become, for us, the very form of the beautiful.

No theologian in our time did more to retrieve the theological significance of beauty than the great Swiss theologian Hans Urs von Balthasar. In reflecting on the mystery revealed by the crucified Christ, he observed that the Catholic Church's "most essential forces — prayer, suffering, faithful obedience, readiness (perhaps unexploited), humility — elude all statistical analysis." Our Catholic faith is not hostile to reason, but it is out of sync with the Cartesian "cogito" and all of its varied, modern children. There is nothing utilitarian, nor commonsensical, nor pragmatic, about the crucified Christ. The need for self-assertion in our own time, the dyspeptic clamor for affirmation, these sit ill with the self-emptying model the crucified paints for us today.

We Christians are not wrong to fight injustices where we find them, but we are wrong when we fail to realize that our efforts will always fall short, that hatred will never be entirely stamped out and our hopes will never be entirely fulfilled, that the eschaton is always beyond our reach. Why is it we must fight for justice, for dignity, for our dreams, generation after generation? The Gloria at Mass, which returned after so long an absence at last night's liturgy, tells us that the Savior's birth was greeted by the angels with the promise of peace on earth to men of goodwill, but we are still waiting all these years later. We find a foretaste of that peace not in our own efforts, but here, in the body and blood of Christ offered for us at Calvary and offered again and again at the altar.

The corpus on the crucifix is one of the distinctive aspects of our Catholic faith. I remember being 13 and starting to visit churches of other denominations. I was learning to play the organ and never tired of trying new instruments. I noticed that the Episcopal churches and the Lutheran churches and the Congregational churches, their crosses never had a corpus. They were bare. Tasteful. Less gruesome.

All you who pass this way, look and see. The grim and gruesome corpus demands our attention. Look and see. Say nothing. "This is the wood of the Cross, on which hung the Savior of the world. Come, let us worship."

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44160
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:11 am

wosbald wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 pm
+JMJ+

Good Friday: All you who pass this way, look and see [Opinion]

Image
A crucifix is seen at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles on Palm Sunday, March 28. (CNS/Victor Aleman, courtesy of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles)
There is nothing overtly false in this article, but please stop posting articles from Fishwrap in the Catholic Thread as if they are authentic Catholicism.

Fishwrap is a bunch of leftwing activists who use Catholic language -- and the gullibility of Catholic Americans -- to further their politics. Our faith is a tool for their activism.

They are preaching the leftist Prosperity Gospel -- striving for that secular utopia on earth -- "that the Savior's birth was greeted by the angels with the promise of peace on earth to men of goodwill, but we are still waiting all these years later." (from your link)
=======================

On this Good Friday, all Christians are called to embrace the Cross with Christ. Christians in America are called to embrace the chastisement that is upon us.

We must embrace our sufferings with Christ. Because when Good encounters Evil, there is always suffering. And Evil is coming strong upon us.

We must encourage each other to remain faithful as insane notions of race and gender are being pressed upon our children in the government schools.

We must not lose hope, as our government crowds growing numbers of Catholic children in concentration camps on our borders.

We continue to weep, as more than 2500 children are killed every day by abortion -- and this killing is celebrated by the Fishwrap's beloved Democrat Party. They even want to force Catholics out of healthcare and charity for the poor because we won't support their murder.

No more Fishwrap. It has no place here.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President
Posts: 23637
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:00 am

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Economic Magisterium/Integral Ecology/Seamless Garment/Fratelli Tutti
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 150 / pg 150 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 151

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"The Statement on Social Justice": pg 6
"Pro-life Bills/Laws": pg 15
"The Climate Change Thread": pg 14 / pg 14 / pg 15
"Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism": pg 9
"Economics": pg 6 / pg 6
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 65 / pg 121 / pg 121 / pg 122 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 130 / pg 130 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132 / pg 133 / pg 133
"Biden has done a ['X'] job so far": pg 17
"THE CHRISTIAN THREAD": pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11



Papal Preacher says divisions have 'wounded' Catholic Church
Image
Pope Francis lies prostrate as he leads the Good Friday Liturgy of the Lord's Passion April 2, 2020, at the Altar of the Chair in St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican. (Credit: CNS photo/Andreas Solaro, pool via Reuters)

ROME — After reflecting on the biblical meaning of fraternity during the Vatican’s Passion of the Lord, the papal preacher on Good Friday lamented the disunity existing among Catholics.

“Fraternity among Catholics is wounded,” said Cardinal Raniero Cantalamessa. “Divisions between Churches have torn Christ’s tunic to shreds, and worse still, each shredded strip has been cut up into even smaller snippets. I speak of course of the human element of it, because no one will ever be able to tear the true tunic of Christ, his mystical body animated by the Holy Spirit.”

“In God’s eyes, the Church is ‘one, holy, catholic and apostolic’, and will remain so until the end of the world,” he said. “This, however, does not excuse our divisions, but makes them more guilty and must push us more forcefully to heal them.”

The “Passion of the Lord” service is the only liturgy presided over by the pope in which he’s not the homilist. Instead, the task falls on Cardinal Raniero Cantalamessa — elevated to the Church’s most exclusive club last year, after four decades serving as the preacher of the papal household.

[…]

Fraternity, Cantalamessa said, is built in the same way peace is built: “that is starting close by, with ourselves, not with great strategies and ambitious, abstract objectives. For us, that means universal fraternity starts with the Catholic Church.”

However, he noted that the Church is experiencing disunity.

“What is the most common cause of the bitter divisions among Catholics? It is not dogma, nor is it the sacraments and ministries, none of the things that by God’s singular grace we fully and universally preserve,” he said. “The divisions that polarize Catholics stem from political options that grow into ideologies taking priority over religious and ecclesial considerations and leading to complete abandon of the value and the duty of obedience in the Church.”

“In many parts of the world, these divisions are very real, even though they are not openly talked about or are disdainfully denied,” Cantalamessa continued. “This is sin in its primal meaning. The kingdom of this world becomes more important, in the person’s heart than the Kingdom of God.”

The papal preacher then said he believes every Catholic needs to make a “serious” examination of conscience when it comes to fueling these divisions, and “be converted.”

“Fomenting division is the work par excellence of the one whose name is ‘diabolos’ that is, the divider, the enemy who sows weeds, as Jesus referred,” Cantalamessa said. “We need to learn from Jesus’s example and the Gospel. He lived at a time of strong political polarization,” yet Jesus didn’t side with any of them, rejecting any attempt to be pulled towards one or the other.

The earliest Christian community, he noted, followed Jesus choice to not align to any political party, setting an example for pastors who are called to shepherd the entire flock entrusted to them, not a part of it. In this sense, pastors “need to be the first to make a serious examination of conscience. They need to ask themselves where it is that they are leading their flocks — to their position or Jesus’ position.”

Cantalamessa continued by arguing that the Second Vatican Council entrusted laypeople with the task of translating the social, economic and political implications of the Gospel into practice in different historical situations, always in a respectful and peaceful way.

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 29356
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Wed May 05, 2021 8:30 am

perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

User avatar
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President
Posts: 23637
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 am

+JMJ+

Vatican cardinal: Denying Communion is up to individual bishops
Image
A priest elevates the host during a Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City in 2020. (CNS photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)

VATICAN CITY (RNS) — As some American bishops discuss the possibility of denying Communion to Catholic politicians such as President Joe Biden for supporting abortion-rights policies, a senior Vatican prelate said decisions about administering the sacrament rest solely on the bishop giving the Eucharist.

“It’s not up to bishops in general to make these decisions, it’s the bishop of the person,” said Cardinal Michael Czerny, the undersecretary of the Migrants and Refugees Section of the Vatican’s Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development, in an interview with Religion News Service on Thursday (May 6).

Bishops in the U.S. are scheduled to vote whether to commission a document on the question of Communion during their annual meeting in June, after conservative bishops such as Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone of San Francisco recently argued that elected officials should be barred from receiving the Eucharist for their views on abortion.

[…]

Czerny is the highest-ranking Vatican official to comment on the controversy, and in general Rome has refrained from remarking publicly on the issue. Pope Francis has tended in the past to champion an inclusive policy on Communion, saying in his 2013 apostolic exhortation “The Joy of the Gospel” that the Eucharist “is not a prize for the perfect.”

Czerny pointed to the “confusion” surrounding debates on giving Communion to Catholic politicians who hold positions contrary to Catholic teaching, adding that individual bishops have the final say in cases where there is “a clear scandal.”

In cases “where the government is claiming that it has the Church’s support for some measure that we really can’t accept at all, that would be an example where the bishop would have to stand up,” the cardinal said, “but it’s up to the bishop.”

In Biden’s home diocese of Wilmington, Delaware, Bishop-elect William E. Koenig has already told reporters he’s hoping to discuss the matter directly with the president.

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44160
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 am

wosbald wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 am
+JMJ+

Vatican cardinal: Denying Communion is up to individual bishops
Image
A priest elevates the host during a Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City in 2020. (CNS photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)

VATICAN CITY (RNS) — As some American bishops discuss the possibility of denying Communion to Catholic politicians such as President Joe Biden for supporting abortion-rights policies, a senior Vatican prelate said decisions about administering the sacrament rest solely on the bishop giving the Eucharist.

“It’s not up to bishops in general to make these decisions, it’s the bishop of the person,” said Cardinal Michael Czerny, the undersecretary of the Migrants and Refugees Section of the Vatican’s Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development, in an interview with Religion News Service on Thursday (May 6).

Bishops in the U.S. are scheduled to vote whether to commission a document on the question of Communion during their annual meeting in June, after conservative bishops such as Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone of San Francisco recently argued that elected officials should be barred from receiving the Eucharist for their views on abortion.

[…]

Czerny is the highest-ranking Vatican official to comment on the controversy, and in general Rome has refrained from remarking publicly on the issue. Pope Francis has tended in the past to champion an inclusive policy on Communion, saying in his 2013 apostolic exhortation “The Joy of the Gospel” that the Eucharist “is not a prize for the perfect.”

Czerny pointed to the “confusion” surrounding debates on giving Communion to Catholic politicians who hold positions contrary to Catholic teaching, adding that individual bishops have the final say in cases where there is “a clear scandal.”

In cases “where the government is claiming that it has the Church’s support for some measure that we really can’t accept at all, that would be an example where the bishop would have to stand up,” the cardinal said, “but it’s up to the bishop.”

In Biden’s home diocese of Wilmington, Delaware, Bishop-elect William E. Koenig has already told reporters he’s hoping to discuss the matter directly with the president.

[…]
All the same, the US bishops should have a public policy in accord with Canon 915 regarding Catholic politicians who support abortion.
-- This will assist those bishops who need some extra bracing for their spines.
-- This will support local pastors as they preach against the evil policies of unfaithful Catholic politicians.
-- This will mitigate some of the scandal that pro-abortion Catholics cause, by making it clear that the "choice" of killing children is non-negotiable.

-- As a bonus.... it will infuriate the Jesuits at Amerika Magazine.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President
Posts: 23637
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Sun May 09, 2021 12:50 pm

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Viganò/QAnon/Deep State/Deep Church/Alt-Left
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 152 / pg 152 / pg 152

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"Two sides of the same coin?":pg 12 / pg 13
"Mary Alone": pg 18 / pg 20 /pg 20
"President Trump is a problem...": pg 38 / pg 46 / pg 46 / pg 46
"THE CHRISTIAN THREAD": pg 8 / pg 10 / pg 10
"Any QAnoners Here?": pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5
"Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism": pg 4 / pg 5 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10
"Purely Politics II": pg 13 / pg 14 / pg 28 / pg 28 / pg 44 / pg 52 / pg 61 / pg 71 / pg 79 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 63 / pg 64 / pg 65 / pg 65 / pg 66 / pg 66 / pg 73 / pg 84 / pg 120 / pg 123 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 127 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 128 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 134 / pg 134



New Weekly Program from WPI: The Critical Catholic [Announcement]
Image
Image: By Tyler Merbler from USA – DSC09523-2, CC BY 2.0

There is a crisis in Catholicism that is only getting worse, and it is marked by a lack of critical thinking and a disrespect for the actual or empirical truth. Post-truth Catholicism is as much of a threat as the Catholic Modernism of old, but it is sometimes difficult to recognize when it hides under the cover of an external piety or religiosity. This show will provide a forum through which we can all receive a healthy dose of critical thinking, so that we can better navigate the world of Catholic media and culture, as well as the media world at large.

We’ll look at some of the most important stories and theories that are occupying the minds of Catholics, and draw upon the teaching of the Church, the wisdom of Pope Francis, and a healthy skepticism toward the kinds of wild stories and claims that are all too common on social media.

We invite you to join us. In the meantime, you can listen to this warmup conversation that Mike and I had regarding the Critical Catholic and some relevant topics.


We have also uploaded a second video, exclusively for our patrons on our Patreon page.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President
Posts: 23637
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Tue May 11, 2021 8:22 am

+JMJ+

Cardinal Ladaria cautions US bishops on politicians and Communion [In-Depth]
Image
Then-Archbishop Luis Ladaria Ferrer speaks at a Vatican press conference in this Sept. 8, 2015, file photo. Ladaria is now a cardinal and prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. (CNS/Paul Haring)

VATICAN CITY — The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has urged the U.S. bishops to proceed with caution in their discussions about formulating a national policy "to address the situation of Catholics in public office who support legislation allowing abortion, euthanasia or other moral evils."

Cardinal Luis Ladaria, congregation prefect, reiterated what he said he had told several groups of U.S. bishops during their 2019-2020 ad limina visits, namely that "the effective development of a policy in this area requires that dialogue occurs in two stages: first among the bishops themselves, and then between bishops and Catholic pro-choice politicians within their jurisdictions."

In the letter to Archbishop José Gomez of Los Angeles, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Ladaria also insisted: such a policy cannot usurp the authority of an individual bishop in his diocese on the matter; the policy would require near unanimity; and it would be "misleading" to present abortion and euthanasia as "the only grave matters of Catholic moral and social teaching that demand the fullest level of accountability on the part of Catholics."

The letter, dated May 7 and obtained by Catholic News Service in Rome, said it was in response to a letter from Gomez informing the doctrinal congregation that the bishops were preparing to address the situation of Catholic politicians and "the worthiness to receive holy Communion."

Ladaria warned that without the unanimity of the bishops, a national policy, "given its possibly contentious nature," could "become a source of discord rather than unity within the episcopate and the larger church in the United States."

The cardinal also suggested the discussion "would best be framed within the broad context of worthiness for the reception of holy Communion on the part of all the faithful, rather than only one category of Catholics, reflecting their obligation to conform their lives to the entire Gospel of Jesus Christ as they prepare to receive the sacrament."

[…]

When the U.S. bishops made their ad limina visits to the Vatican in 2004, Ladaria said, "it was clear that there was a lack of agreement regarding the issue of Communion among the bishops."

"At that time, the development of a national policy was not under consideration, and Cardinal Ratzinger offered general principles on the worthy reception of holy Communion in order to assist local ordinaries in the United States in their dealings with Catholic pro-choice politicians within their jurisdictions," he said.

"Cardinal Ratzinger's communication," he said, "should thus be discussed only within the context of the authoritative doctrinal note which provides the teaching of the magisterium on the theological foundation for any initiative regarding the question of worthy reception of holy Communion."

[…]

Writing to Gomez, Ladaria said the U.S. bishops need an "extensive and serene dialogue" among themselves and between individual bishops and Catholic politicians in their dioceses who do not support the fullness of the church's teaching to understand "the nature of their positions and their comprehension of Catholic teaching."

Only after both dialogues, the cardinal said, the bishops' conference "would face the difficult task of discerning the best way forward for the church in the United States to witness to the grave moral responsibility of Catholic public officials to protect human life at all stages."

"If it is then decided to formulate a national policy on worthiness for Communion, such a statement would need to express a true consensus of the bishops on the matter, while observing the prerequisite that any provisions of the conference in this area would respect the rights of individual ordinaries in their dioceses and the prerogatives of the Holy See," the cardinal said, citing St. John Paul II's 1998 document on bishops' conferences.

Ladaria specifically pointed to Paragraphs 22 of the document, Apostolos Suos, which says bishops' conferences may publish doctrinal declarations when they are "approved unanimously," but "a majority alone" is not enough for publication without the approval of the Vatican.

He also cited Paragraph 24, which says the bishops' conference cannot hinder an individual bishop's authority in his diocese "by substituting themselves inappropriately for him, where the canonical legislation does not provide for a limitation of his episcopal power in favor of the episcopal conference."

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President
Posts: 23637
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Wed May 12, 2021 10:16 am

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Viganò/QAnon/Deep State/Deep Church/Alt-Left
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 152 / pg 152 / pg 152 / pg 153

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"Two sides of the same coin?":pg 12 / pg 13
"Mary Alone": pg 18 / pg 20 /pg 20
"President Trump is a problem...": pg 38 / pg 46 / pg 46 / pg 46
"THE CHRISTIAN THREAD": pg 8 / pg 10 / pg 10
"Any QAnoners Here?": pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5
"Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism": pg 4 / pg 5 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10
"Purely Politics II": pg 13 / pg 14 / pg 28 / pg 28 / pg 44 / pg 52 / pg 61 / pg 71 / pg 79 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 63 / pg 64 / pg 65 / pg 65 / pg 66 / pg 66 / pg 73 / pg 84 / pg 120 / pg 123 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 127 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 128 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 134 / pg 134



Vatican throws wet blanket on U.S. bishops who want to deny Biden Communion [In-Depth, Opinion]
Image
Then-Archbishop Luis Ladaria Ferrer speaks at a Vatican press conference in this Sept. 8, 2015, file photo. (CNS/Paul Haring)

Cardinal Luis Ladaria, the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, wrote a letter to the president of the U.S. bishops' conference, Los Angeles Archbishop José Gomez, regarding the conference's plans to draft a policy on the worthiness of pro-choice politicians to receive Communion. In it, the Vatican doctrinal chief gave a tutorial in what it means to be a bishop, a lesson that is sadly as necessary as it is embarrassing for the U.S. bishops.

Not only did Ladaria effectively derail those plans, he diplomatically asked, "What the hell are you thinking?" He is at pains to remind them how bishops should conduct themselves. The letter systematically pulls apart the rhetorical building blocks that had been assembled by the advocates of denying Communion to President Joe Biden.

Kansas City, Kansas Archbishop Joseph Naumann, chair of the bishops' Pro-Life Committee, in various interviews; San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone in his pastoral letter; and former Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput in his article at First Things have so thoroughly conflated their identity as Catholics with the pro-life political movement, that they had confusedly thought it was fine to assemble political talking points and strategies, and then wiggle them into some kind of magisterial teaching.

Ladaria's letter is one, long, systematic "Basta!"

[…]

The prefect proceeds to give a lesson in ecclesiology to the U.S. bishops. He notes that when the matter was discussed during the 2019-2020 ad limina visits, "this Congregation advised that dialogue among the bishops be undertaken to preserve the unity of the episcopal conference in the face of disagreements over this controversial topic."

Compare those words with these of George Weigel, defending Gomez's churlish Inauguration Day statement attacking Biden: "Over the past several months, a consensus has emerged among the American bishops, including virtually the entire episcopal leadership of the USCCB: Maintaining a false façade of episcopal unity is not worth the sacrifice of the truths which the Church must speak."

No one is calling for false facades to be maintained. Rome is asking — not for the first time — that the U.S. bishops learn how to build effective collegiality with one another.

Ladaria insisted that the conference initiate a real dialogue among themselves, then with the politicians in their dioceses, and only then decide if a national policy is in order. If the conference still believes such a national policy is needed, Ladaria said it must reflect a "true consensus," not merely a majority vote of U.S. bishops' conference committee chairs, all of whom won their seats by relatively narrow margins. He insisted that any such policy respect the rights of local ordinaries and of the Holy See, and that it expand the focus beyond those Catholics who happen to serve in political life.

Image
President Joe Biden walks into Holy Trinity Catholic Church to attend Mass in Washington Feb. 20, 2021. (CNS/Reuters/Ken Cedeno)

The letter then cuts out the very touchstone that set the whole campaign in motion: "It would be misleading if such a statement were to give the impression that abortion and euthanasia alone constitute the only grave matters of Catholic moral and social teaching that demand the fullest level of accountability on the part of Catholics."

Put differently, the calculation that abortion is the "preeminent concern" for Catholics when voting is a political calculation, not a doctrinal one, and so properly belongs with the individual Catholic voter discerning how to cast her ballot, not with the U.S. bishops' drafting committees.

Ladaria also stated that the U.S. bishops' conference consult with other national episcopal conferences so as "both to learn from one another and to preserve unity in the Universal Church." Translation: You are the only episcopal conference undertaking this insane effort to weaponize the Eucharist, and if you won't listen to the saner voices in your own conference, try listening to bishops in other countries.

[…]

The Catholic Church in the United States faces an especially urgent challenge in the fact that its bishops' conference has been taken over by a group of zealots who conflate politics with religion in the most puerile of ways.

Last week, for example, after Cordileone's pastoral letter was issued, Maggie Gallagher, the executive director of the Benedict XVI Institute established by Cordileone, sent out an email touting the recent media coverage the archbishop's pastoral letter had garnered and ended with a fundraising appeal. We see these kinds of pitches all the time from politicians, but from a liturgical institute? Commented one clerical wag, "Tell Cordileone to go fund himself."

Or recall that Naumann told the Catholic News Agency after his ad limina visit that Pope Francis had endorsed the bishops' decision to label abortion "a preeminent priority," which is undoubtedly true, but the bishops' document on voting declared abortion "the preeminent concern." The reporter did not ask Naumann if perhaps he should be cautious in quoting the pope when the key difference lay between the use of a definite and an indefinite article, and that the pope was speaking in a different language. It is a challenge for the church when an archbishop puts words in the pope's mouth that do not reflect the pope's thinking.

Ladaria's letter could not have been more of a wet blanket on the plans of the zealots, a polite, thoughtful, but nonetheless soaking blanket. He has called the bishops to be bishops, to act the way bishops are supposed to act and teach what the church teaches, not what some political action committee urges. Will it be enough?

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President
Posts: 23637
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Sat May 22, 2021 1:40 pm

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Viganò/QAnon/Deep State/Deep Church/Alt-Left
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 152 / pg 152 / pg 152 / pg 153 / pg 153

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"Two sides of the same coin?":pg 12 / pg 13
"Mary Alone": pg 18 / pg 20 /pg 20
"President Trump is a problem...": pg 38 / pg 46 / pg 46 / pg 46
"THE CHRISTIAN THREAD": pg 8 / pg 10 / pg 10
"Any QAnoners Here?": pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5
"Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism": pg 4 / pg 5 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 63 / pg 64 / pg 65 / pg 65 / pg 66 / pg 66 / pg 73 / pg 84 / pg 120 / pg 123 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 127 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 128 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 134 / pg 134
"Purely Politics II": pg 13 / pg 14 / pg 28 / pg 28 / pg 44 / pg 52 / pg 61 / pg 71 / pg 79 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 110



Christendom and Conspiracism [Podcast]
Image

Image

Check out the third episode of The Critical Catholic on Where Peter Is Media, with Mike Lewis and D.W. Lafferty. We stream live every Sunday on YouTube at 8 p.m. EST.

This week’s guest: Paul Fahey

Overview: We all have a tendency to make sweeping generalizations about ideologies we oppose. This is not unusual among Catholics. Indeed, many popes have spoken this way, offering blanket condemnations of great social and political movements, although recent popes have been more restrained and nuanced in this regard, seeking dialogue rather than confrontation. Over the last four or five years, however, this sort of grandiose rhetoric has become endemic in the world of Catholic media, with even some very public members of the clergy taking it to new extremes, including Archbishop Viganò, Bishop Athanasius Schneider, Cardinal Burke, and Cardinal Müller. They are what Pope John XXIII referred to as “prophets of doom” — voices of a Church that at once claims dominion over all and at the same time suffers from a persecution complex — and we have seen that those in the grip of this mentality are susceptible to falling into conspiracism.

The prophets of doom cling to an idea of the Church that, quite simply, is at odds with both reality and the Francis papacy. Paul Fahey connects this impulse to the decline of the concept of “Christendom” within the contemporary Christian imagination, stating that this is “part of the reason there’s so much animosity against Pope Francis within the Church; he isn’t interested in fighting for Christendom. The Catholics who are pining for privilege and influence, who want to win back spaces of power, correctly see that the pope doesn’t support their efforts.” David French has noted, in the context of American Evangelicalism, that there is also a connection between the concept of defending Christendom and the willingness many Christians showed in embracing Donald Trump and his employment of weaponized misinformation. The situation is no different in the Catholic Church.

Even those who don’t feel animosity toward Pope Francis will at times create their own version of him as a defender of Christendom, based on selective or esoteric readings of his statements and actions, in order to fit him into an “Integralist” Catholic vision.

A recent piece by Laura K. Field of the Niskanen Center, titled, “The Highbrow Conspiracism of the New Intellectual Right: A Sampling From the Trump Years,” offers further insight. She looks at a brand of conspiracism that arose during the last five years, one form of which draws upon religious traditionalism as a way of tapping into the currents of Trumpist conspiracy theory while remaining in the safer realm of abstract culture-critique.

It is the job of the critical Catholic to avoid embracing an imaginary vision of Christendom, and to refrain from indulging in grossly exaggerated, fear-based rhetoric about liberalism, “the left,” or the enemies of the Church.

Listen to our discussion here…



[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44160
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sat May 22, 2021 6:23 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:40 pm
+JMJ+

Subject Header: Viganò/QAnon/Deep State/Deep Church/Alt-Left
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 152 / pg 152 / pg 152 / pg 153 / pg 153

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"Two sides of the same coin?":pg 12 / pg 13
"Mary Alone": pg 18 / pg 20 /pg 20
"President Trump is a problem...": pg 38 / pg 46 / pg 46 / pg 46
"THE CHRISTIAN THREAD": pg 8 / pg 10 / pg 10
"Any QAnoners Here?": pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5 / pg 5
"Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism": pg 4 / pg 5 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 6 / pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 63 / pg 64 / pg 65 / pg 65 / pg 66 / pg 66 / pg 73 / pg 84 / pg 120 / pg 123 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 124 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 126 / pg 125 / pg 126 / pg 127 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 128 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 132 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 134 / pg 134
"Purely Politics II": pg 13 / pg 14 / pg 28 / pg 28 / pg 44 / pg 52 / pg 61 / pg 71 / pg 79 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 110



Christendom and Conspiracism [Podcast]
Image

Image

Check out the third episode of The Critical Catholic on Where Peter Is Media, with Mike Lewis and D.W. Lafferty. We stream live every Sunday on YouTube at 8 p.m. EST.

This week’s guest: Paul Fahey

Overview: We all have a tendency to make sweeping generalizations about ideologies we oppose. This is not unusual among Catholics. Indeed, many popes have spoken this way, offering blanket condemnations of great social and political movements, although recent popes have been more restrained and nuanced in this regard, seeking dialogue rather than confrontation. Over the last four or five years, however, this sort of grandiose rhetoric has become endemic in the world of Catholic media, with even some very public members of the clergy taking it to new extremes, including Archbishop Viganò, Bishop Athanasius Schneider, Cardinal Burke, and Cardinal Müller. They are what Pope John XXIII referred to as “prophets of doom” — voices of a Church that at once claims dominion over all and at the same time suffers from a persecution complex — and we have seen that those in the grip of this mentality are susceptible to falling into conspiracism.

The prophets of doom cling to an idea of the Church that, quite simply, is at odds with both reality and the Francis papacy. Paul Fahey connects this impulse to the decline of the concept of “Christendom” within the contemporary Christian imagination, stating that this is “part of the reason there’s so much animosity against Pope Francis within the Church; he isn’t interested in fighting for Christendom. The Catholics who are pining for privilege and influence, who want to win back spaces of power, correctly see that the pope doesn’t support their efforts.” David French has noted, in the context of American Evangelicalism, that there is also a connection between the concept of defending Christendom and the willingness many Christians showed in embracing Donald Trump and his employment of weaponized misinformation. The situation is no different in the Catholic Church.

Even those who don’t feel animosity toward Pope Francis will at times create their own version of him as a defender of Christendom, based on selective or esoteric readings of his statements and actions, in order to fit him into an “Integralist” Catholic vision.

A recent piece by Laura K. Field of the Niskanen Center, titled, “The Highbrow Conspiracism of the New Intellectual Right: A Sampling From the Trump Years,” offers further insight. She looks at a brand of conspiracism that arose during the last five years, one form of which draws upon religious traditionalism as a way of tapping into the currents of Trumpist conspiracy theory while remaining in the safer realm of abstract culture-critique.

It is the job of the critical Catholic to avoid embracing an imaginary vision of Christendom, and to refrain from indulging in grossly exaggerated, fear-based rhetoric about liberalism, “the left,” or the enemies of the Church.

Listen to our discussion here…



[…]
There's nothing in this post about Catholicism. This is just more conspiracy mongering, targeting gullible Americans who have a pseudo-intellectual relationship with Catholic faith -- whether they love it or hate it.

Notice how deftly Paul Fahey avoids defining what "Christendom" is, while suggesting that anyone who defends Christendom is surely one who also "[embraces] Donald Trump and his employment of weaponized misinformation."

This post belongs in one of those "bashing Trump" threads. Someplace where the talking news-heads cried every time Donald Trump called them "FAKE NEWS."

If anyone wants to know what Christendom means (and why it should be defended, if it isn't too late), give me a ping.

And whether we are preserving Christendom or rebuilding it, Pope Francis's core message of Call to Evangelization remains the right message for this time. (Paul Fahey has probably missed that one. Spreading the Gospel to the Nations doesn't serve the political agenda of the Left. Cultures are not saved by governments or programs.)
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44160
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sun May 23, 2021 12:38 pm

Biden To Skip Notre Dame Commencement Amid Furor Over Policies That Defy Church Teachings

"For the nation’s foremost Catholic university to honor a person with such an agenda would scream scandal."
President Joe Biden will break a 20-year tradition of a president or vice president delivering a commencement address at the University of Notre Dame during the first year of a new presidency.

Sources at the White House claimed the school had invited Biden to speak, but said the nation’s second Roman Catholic president is unable to attend because of a scheduling conflict, according to the Catholic News Agency (CNA).

...

Biden’s scheduling conflict comes as a petition circulates among the Catholic university demanding that Notre Dame President Fr. John I. Jenkins neither invite the president nor give him an honorary degree because of the many policies he supports in open defiance of Church teaching. More than 4,300 students, alumni, and other members of the community signed the petition as of Sunday.

Citing the injunction of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), which said, “Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles,” the petition said in part:

Biden is such a person writ large. He rejects Church teachings on abortion, marriage, sex and gender and is hostile to religious liberty. He embraces the most pro-abortion and anti-religious liberty public policy program in history. The case against honoring him is immeasurably stronger than it was against honoring President Obama, an action that alienated countless Catholics and brought upon Notre Dame the harsh criticism of 83 cardinals, archbishops and bishops.
It would be especially embarrassing to have Biden address Notre Dame, as Biden still professes to hold and believe the Catholic faith.

Obama was morally objectionable and divisive, but at least we expected a secular pagan to act like a pagan.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Post Reply