THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:38 am

+JMJ+

Lincoln bishop offers way to lift excommunication of Call to Action members [In-Depth Report]
Members of the Call to Action group in Lincoln, Nebraska, sing in a prayer liturgy during a 2012 meeting at the home of Rachel Pokora. (NCR photo/Joshua J. McElwee)

Nearly 22 years after area Catholics were excommunicated for their membership in a national church reform group, the bishop of Lincoln, Nebraska, has proposed a way to end their censure and return them to full communion with the church.

In late 2017, after more than a year of dialogue with several members of the local chapter of Call to Action, Lincoln Bishop James Conley extended an offer to lift the excommunication of its members on an individual basis while leaving the decree in place against membership in the organization.

Conley, who in November 2012 became bishop of the southeastern Nebraska diocese, 16 years after the excommunication, wrote in a Dec. 12 letter to Call to Action Nebraska members, "I have been clear from the beginning that no Catholic should become a member of Call to Action. I believe it poses a danger to the faith.

"However, I am willing to consider rescinding the excommunication in individual instances where members, currently not prepared to leave CTA, reaffirm their commitment to the full teachings of the Catholic Church," he said.

The proposal emerged through a series of dialogue sessions that began in the fall of 2016 among Conley, two diocesan officials, and five women of Call to Action.

"I'm very, very pleased with the understanding that we reached together as a group," Rachel Pokora, one of the dialoguers, told NCR.

Fr. Daniel Rayer, chancellor for the diocese, told NCR that the bishop has no comment at this time, and that he wants to let the process unfold organically.

[…]

Bishop James Conley blesses the faithful Nov. 20, 2012, as he leaves the Cathedral of the Risen Christ in Lincoln, Nebraska, after his installation as bishop of Lincoln. (CNS/Southern Nebraska Register/Courtesy of Kevin Clark)

[…]
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:38 am
+JMJ+

Lincoln bishop offers way to lift excommunication of Call to Action members [In-Depth Report]
Members of the Call to Action group in Lincoln, Nebraska, sing in a prayer liturgy during a 2012 meeting at the home of Rachel Pokora. (NCR photo/Joshua J. McElwee)

Nearly 22 years after area Catholics were excommunicated for their membership in a national church reform group, the bishop of Lincoln, Nebraska, has proposed a way to end their censure and return them to full communion with the church.

In late 2017, after more than a year of dialogue with several members of the local chapter of Call to Action, Lincoln Bishop James Conley extended an offer to lift the excommunication of its members on an individual basis while leaving the decree in place against membership in the organization.

Conley, who in November 2012 became bishop of the southeastern Nebraska diocese, 16 years after the excommunication, wrote in a Dec. 12 letter to Call to Action Nebraska members, "I have been clear from the beginning that no Catholic should become a member of Call to Action. I believe it poses a danger to the faith.

"However, I am willing to consider rescinding the excommunication in individual instances where members, currently not prepared to leave CTA, reaffirm their commitment to the full teachings of the Catholic Church," he said.

The proposal emerged through a series of dialogue sessions that began in the fall of 2016 among Conley, two diocesan officials, and five women of Call to Action.

"I'm very, very pleased with the understanding that we reached together as a group," Rachel Pokora, one of the dialoguers, told NCR.

Fr. Daniel Rayer, chancellor for the diocese, told NCR that the bishop has no comment at this time, and that he wants to let the process unfold organically.

[…]

Bishop James Conley blesses the faithful Nov. 20, 2012, as he leaves the Cathedral of the Risen Christ in Lincoln, Nebraska, after his installation as bishop of Lincoln. (CNS/Southern Nebraska Register/Courtesy of Kevin Clark)

[…]
I recognize the integrity of National Catholic Reporter when they report on the activity of schismatic groups that they support.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am

Del wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 am
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]
I recognize the integrity of National Catholic Reporter when they report on the activity of schismatic groups that they support.
Does nobody here see the humor in the bishop offering to lift the excommunication on all members faithful to the tenets of the Catholic Church? That's delicious.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am
Del wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 am
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]
Does nobody here see the humor in the bishop offering to lift the excommunication on all members faithful to the tenets of the Catholic Church? That's delicious.
In 1996, Bishop Bruskewitz announced that persons in the Diocese of Lincoln were automatically excommunicated if they participate in schismatic groups -- such as Call to Action or SSPX -- or anti-Catholic organizations (Freemasonry), or if they donate to and participate in organizations that support abortion or euthanasia.

These are already matters of automatic excommunication by latae sententiae. Bishop Bruskewitz's announcement didn't change anything, except to make the matter clear for those who could be confused.

Maybe Call To Action has softened their positions such that faithful Catholics can participate without standing in defiance of the Faith. I have no idea..... But if Bishop Conley thinks so, then it is a good sign. It means that the medicine is working.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:35 pm

+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:08 pm
Maybe Call To Action has softened their positions such that faithful Catholics can participate without standing in defiance of the Faith. I have no idea..... But if Bishop Conley thinks so, then it is a good sign.
the above-linked article wrote:
[…]

The 62-year-old bishop was clear that he would not overturn the excommunication legislation — a request of the women who met with him in conversations since September 2016 — because of concerns with positions held by the national Call to Action. But he acknowledged the "honest and sincere dialogue" with its members, which he said led him to understand that not everyone accepts all positions held by the national office.

The process outlined by the bishop would have Call to Action members meet with him at a community meeting room, where they would discuss the excommunication. Afterward, those who wished to remain in the organization but have the excommunication rescinded would together, along with the bishop, profess the Nicene Creed and the Easter Vigil affirmation of faith.

By doing so, those members would be "thereby affirming the Catholic faith as received by the Catholic Church and rejecting positions held by Call to Action that are contrary to received Catholic doctrine," Conley said.

[…]

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 pm

wosbald wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:35 pm
+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:08 pm
Maybe Call To Action has softened their positions such that faithful Catholics can participate without standing in defiance of the Faith. I have no idea..... But if Bishop Conley thinks so, then it is a good sign.
the above-linked article wrote:
[…]

The 62-year-old bishop was clear that he would not overturn the excommunication legislation — a request of the women who met with him in conversations since September 2016 — because of concerns with positions held by the national Call to Action. But he acknowledged the "honest and sincere dialogue" with its members, which he said led him to understand that not everyone accepts all positions held by the national office.

The process outlined by the bishop would have Call to Action members meet with him at a community meeting room, where they would discuss the excommunication. Afterward, those who wished to remain in the organization but have the excommunication rescinded would together, along with the bishop, profess the Nicene Creed and the Easter Vigil affirmation of faith.

By doing so, those members would be "thereby affirming the Catholic faith as received by the Catholic Church and rejecting positions held by Call to Action that are contrary to received Catholic doctrine," Conley said.

[…]
Yeah.... Kinda like that.

Call To Action is clearly a dissident, schismatic, quasi-Protestant bunch. But it has some good qualities, just like SSPX.

Pope Francis would like us to take individual cases into account, rather than condemn the whole lot. Bishop Conley has found a way to call back some of the lost sheep, while being faithful to the Apostolic Church. Good for all of them!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 am

+JMJ+

NCR Podcast: Lincoln bishop offers to lift excommunication for local Call to Action members

Last year, excommunicated members of the Lincoln, Nebraska chapter of Call to Action met with Lincoln Bishop James Conley in a series of dialogue sessions. These sessions have led to an agreement to have the 1996 censure lifted for individual members in a process facilitated by Conley.

On the show today:

Brian Roewe, NCR staff writer, based in Kansas City, Missouri.

Background Reading

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 am

Anyone here a Secular Franciscan? I'm curious. One of my good friends is a member and, per my request, is taking me with him to their meeting this Sunday. If you have any knowledge for good or for ill, I'd appreciate if you shared it.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:09 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 am
Anyone here a Secular Franciscan? I'm curious. One of my good friends is a member and, per my request, is taking me with him to their meeting this Sunday. If you have any knowledge for good or for ill, I'd appreciate if you shared it.
Third Order devotion is a good thing. This is a way of life for those who feel called to prayer and/or ministry, but who already have a vocation in marriage.

I have the impression that this means going all-in, like being ordained a deacon. Go and see. If it intrigues you, you may be invited to discern if you have a calling to this life.

We had one CPS member -- j1n -- who felt drawn strongly to the monastic charisms, even though he was not Catholic. Turns out that one does not need to be Catholic to be accepted to the Third Orders. Just need to be comfortable with the ancient rules and disciplines of prayer.

j1n ended up attaching himself to the community of Gethsemane Abbey -- the Trappist monastery of Thomas Merton. After two years of discernment and formation. Last time he dropped by, he was giving away all of his excess pipe stuff.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:24 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:06 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:04 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:00 pm
Is the Friday fish thing all year?
Yes and no.
I've been wanting to go to a fish fry thing at the local place. Will they have that this time of year? I think I'm putting that on my 2018 goal list... "Fish Fry at St. Joe's."
Last night Pipeson & I had all-you-can-eat fish fry at St. Peter's, a little country parish and school along County Road K.

The school children serve the tables. A young friend (whom I had not seen for a couple of years) asked me why I wasn't wearing my kilt.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:24 pm
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Yes and no.
I've been wanting to go to a fish fry thing at the local place. Will they have that this time of year? I think I'm putting that on my 2018 goal list... "Fish Fry at St. Joe's."
Last night Pipeson & I had all-you-can-eat fish fry at St. Peter's, a little country parish and school along County Road K.

The school children serve the tables. A young friend (whom I had not seen for a couple of years) asked me why I wasn't wearing my kilt.
Is it Lent already?
I've been confused ever since Vatican II
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:53 pm

I've got a friend who is a third order.
He told me that when he dies he gets to be buried in his monk's outfit.
Cool.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Three things you didn't know about monastic beer
https://aleteia.org/2018/01/19/3-things ... stic-beer/

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:05 pm

1,000 year old Abbey the birthplace of modern musical notation
https://aleteia.org/2018/01/19/meet-the ... -was-born/

Del

Post by Del » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:06 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 pm
Del wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Yes and no.

Is it Lent already?
By a special dispensation, Wisconsin enjoys Lent all-year-round.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 pm

+JMJ+

Pope’s love affair with Mary adds new chapter Saturday in Peru
Pope Francis bows in front of an icon of Mary and baby Jesus as he celebrates a canonization Mass for 35 new saints in St. Peter's Square at the Vatican, Sunday, Oct.15, 2017. (Credit: AP Photo/Andrew Medichini.)

TRUJILLO, Peru - Pope Francis on Saturday displayed yet another example of his love affair with the Virgin Mary, presiding over a Marian celebration in Peru’s “city of the eternal spring,” where popular Catholic devotion is nearly ubiquitous and people proudly display their devotion to the Mother of God.

The pontiff linked the love affair with the Virgin with women’s issues today.

In Trujillo, Francis spoke against the “scourge that affects our American continent: cases of femicides, and the many situations of violence that are kept quiet behind so many walls.”

The pontiff called for a fight against this suffering through legislation, and a culture that “repudiates every form of violence.”

Femicide describes instances in which women are murdered by men for reasons linked to their status as females. Of the 25 countries with the highest femicide rates in the world, 50 percent are in Latin America.

[…]

Images of the Immaculate Virgin of the Gate of Otuzco, Our Lady of Mercies from Paita, the Mother of Sorrows from Cajamera, Our lady of Assumption from Cutervo, the Immaculate Conception of Chota, Our Lady of Alta Gracia from Huamachuco, Our Lady of the Assumption from Chachapoyas, Our Lady of the Assumption of Usquil and Our Lady of Succour from Huanchoco were all present in Trujillo’s famed Plaza de Armas, where as Francis said, dreams of freedom for all Peruvians were first awakened.

Thousands of people cheered as Francis named each devotion, coming from all the corners of Peru, as “each tiny corner of this land, is accompanied by the face of a saint, and by love for Jesus Christ and for his Mother.”

[…]

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 am

Del wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:06 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 pm
Del wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Yes and no.

Is it Lent already?
By a special dispensation, Wisconsin enjoys Lent all-year-round.
Beautiful!

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Gentlemen.

I present before you a man beyond stupid.

Weirdo personal relationship garbage that deals with serious Arian and Gnostic heresies.

I’ve been trying to figure what to do and what to say and this and the other.

Then it appeared in clarity.

Just reach into your pocket and retrieve your awesome one decade rosary and just start praying.

As I said. I am a dumbass for not coming up with this 2 months ago.

Please pelt me, for I deserve it.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 pm
Gentlemen.

I present before you a man beyond stupid.

Weirdo personal relationship garbage that deals with serious Arian and Gnostic heresies.

I’ve been trying to figure what to do and what to say and this and the other.

Then it appeared in clarity.

Just reach into your pocket and retrieve your awesome one decade rosary and just start praying.

As I said. I am a dumbass for not coming up with this 2 months ago.

Please pelt me, for I deserve it.
As St. Ambrose said to St. Monica: "Stop talking to Augustine about God so much. You should talk more to God about Augustine."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:29 am