THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:00 pm

You know what would be nice? One of you "Catholics" showing the truth, beauty, and Grace conferred by the church. Something joyous for a change. Something life affirming.

We don't expect it from the sterility of Wosbald. But you, Hovannes, you know life. Do better.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:29 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:00 pm
You know what would be nice? One of you "Catholics" showing the truth, beauty, and Grace conferred by the church. Something joyous for a change. Something life affirming.

We don't expect it from the sterility of Wosbald. But you, Hovannes, you know life. Do better.
I was anticipating Wos posting the National Catholic Reporter version.
This was a pre-emptive post.

For the beauty of the church, I'll offer this information on a Cistercian monastery I've taken a retreat at.
When I was a young child my dad pointed to a pile of rocks at Golden Gate Park and told me the story of them---WR Hurst bought a 12th cent. monastery from Spain to build a hunting lodge but the Depression hit and the project was unceremoniously abandoned.
A while back I went to Golden Gate Park to photograph the pile of stones but they were gone!
Nearly 60 years after my dad pointed the rocks out to me, I learned that the Cistercians were reconstructing the building in Vina at their Monastery which had once been Leland Stanford's Brandy Distillery.
I went on a retreat in order to photograph the building under restoration.
I hope to return soon and see how the work is going (and drink more of their excellent wine!)
https://www.newclairvaux.org/visit
On the map, it's building No.2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Ii168H1UHgU
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:38 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:29 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:00 pm

I was anticipating Wos posting the National Catholic Reporter version.
This was a pre-emptive post.

For the beauty of the church, I'll offer this information on a Cistercian monastery I've taken a retreat at.
When I was a young child my dad pointed to a pile of rocks at Golden Gate Park and told me the story of them---WR Hurst bought a 12th cent. monastery from Spain to build a hunting lodge but the Depression hit and the project was unceremoniously abandoned.
A while back I went to Golden Gate Park to photograph the pile of stones but they were gone!
Nearly 60 years after my dad pointed the rocks out to me, I learned that the Cistercians were reconstructing the building in Vina at their Monastery which had once been Leland Stanford's Brandy Distillery.
I went on a retreat in order to photograph the building under restoration.
I hope to return soon and see how the work is going (and drink more of their excellent wine!)
https://www.newclairvaux.org/visit
On the map, it's building No.2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Ii168H1UHgU
I was unnecessarily harsh of me. But there's such beauty and Grace in the Church and all the dry news posts show none of it. Thanks for the beauty. I needed it.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 am

There was an extraordinary number of children, toddlers, and newborns at Mass this morning. Every pew (in the back two-thirds of the church) had toddlers and babes-in-arms.

We have coffee, donuts, and fruit, and juice after Mass. The portion of floor space normally occupied by the 5-to-9 age group was completely overtaken by toddlers.

I can't explain it. Just another baby boom, I guess.

Really felt good to see it!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 am
There was an extraordinary number of children, toddlers, and newborns at Mass this morning. Every pew (in the back two-thirds of the church) had toddlers and babes-in-arms.

We have coffee, donuts, and fruit, and juice after Mass. The portion of floor space normally occupied by the 5-to-9 age group was completely overtaken by toddlers.

I can't explain it. Just another baby boom, I guess.

Really felt good to see it!
Now that's beautiful!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 am

Here you go, hugodrax. Here's something beautiful on your side of the continent:
https://aleteia.org/2018/03/19/this-cha ... 00-relics/

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:44 am

+JMJ+

Pope says prostitution tortures women, apologizes for Catholic ‘clients’
Pope Francis delivers his speech during the opening session of the pre-synod of the youths meeting, at the the Mater Ecclesiae college in Rome, Monday, March 19, 2018. (Cedit: AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino.)

Pope Francis on Monday said prostitution is a form of “torturing women” and anyone who pays for it is a “criminal,” responding to a young Nigerian victim of human trafficking who was forced to become a prostitute in order to pay off supposed debts.

“If a young person has this custom, he should drop it,” the pope said, referring to paying for sex.

“He’s a criminal. He can say ‘But Father, can’t I make love? But this is not making love. It’s torturing a woman. Let’s not confuse the terms,” he added, to the applause of those present.

“I ask for forgiveness for all the Catholics who commit this criminal act,” the pope said.

“It’s slavery,” Francis said. In Italy, he added, it’s plausible that “90 percent are baptized, Catholics … I think of the disgust these young women must feel when these men make them do anything.”

The pope’s words came during a second set of remarks to some 300 youth gathered in Rome this week to provide suggestions for a major summit of bishops frim [sic] around the world, called a Synod of Bishops, set for October. The youth event is taking place in Rome’s Pontifical Maria Mater Ecclesiae College, not far from the Vatican.

[…]

Pope Francis Francis has denounced the commercialization of persons since he was the Archbishop of Buenos Aires from 1998 to 2013. Since being elected pope, he’s launched a full-court press against this illegal industry, which, according to United Nations statistics, involves an estimated 40 million people.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:05 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 am
Here you go, hugodrax. Here's something beautiful on your side of the continent:
https://aleteia.org/2018/03/19/this-cha ... 00-relics/
That's about three miles away. It would be even more cool if the church was open. Pretty much tours only.

It is neat if you ever get the chance.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:42 am

+JMJ+

Cardinal and longtime friend says Romero will be the ‘saint of four popes’
Cardinal-designate Gregorio Rosa Chavez, auxiliary bishop of San Salvador, El Salvador, pictured in a 2015 photo, is one of five new cardinals Pope Francis will create at a June 28 consistory. (Credit: CNS photo/Octavio Duran.)

LOS ANGELES - While Pope Francis may be the one who finally canonizes Blessed Óscar Romero, Cardinal José Gregorio Rosa Chávez - Romero’s one-time close friend - says he believes the late El Salvadoran martyr will be known as “the saint of four popes.”

Rosa, who was named El Salvador’s first ever cardinal last June by Francis, said that there are elements of Romero’s life that were shaped by, or influenced by, Popes Paul VI, John Paul II, Benedict XVI, and Francis.

His remarks came in an interview with Crux during the 2018 Los Angeles Religious Education Congress, where Rosa spoke on justice and forgiveness - themes that have defined much of the Romero legacy since he was assassinated while celebrating Mass in 1980.

As Archbishop of San Salvador, Romero was an outspoken social justice advocate who championed the poor and denounced government corruption. He has long been held as a hero in his homeland and beyond for serving as a voice for the marginalized. Yet due to what some perceived as a political abuse of his legacy, his path to sainthood was slowed down or blocked at various points.

In 2012, however, Benedict XVI cleared the way for his cause for canonization, noting that he had no doubt that Romero deserved it, and soon after his election in March 2013, Francis fast-tracked the cause.

“Each one of [the four popes] had a very important part in the process,” Rosa told Crux. “Francis just pushed it forward. Romero is the icon of the Church that Francis wants to be, and the type of pastor he wants.”

[…]

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:53 am

Today, let's remember the Blessed Clemens August Graf von Galen (16 March 1878 – 22 March 1946) The Lion of Munster

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:52 pm

There's something about Latin.
This was told to me last night by someone not involved with the Latin Mass Chaplaincy.
English has the approval for use in Exorcisms and our Bishop has ramped up our diocese Exorcism "crew."
A person assisting for the first time in an Exorcism a few weeks ago related this story.
When one of the prayers were said in English, the demonic responded with laughter, which the assistant found unnerving.
The priest knew how to say the prayer in Latin, did so. The demonic was exorcised with a blood curdling cry.

I've heard similar stories on the 'net, but I believe this one is the real deal. That the priest was able to seamlessly switch gears from English to Latin makes me wonder if this is common among Exorcisms?
Whoa! 8O

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:31 am

+JMJ+

Pope defrocks nine Ukrainian monks due to exorcism
Reuters

Bishop of Rome Francis approved the decrees on the defrocking of nine Ukrainian monks for the exorcism as the official website of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church (UGCC) reported.

'The people started to talk about Sister Maria Baran from the monastery in Velyki Borky in 2004. She seemed to hear the voice of God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, Sacred Virgin Mary, and some saints. Some of the messages were written down by Father Planchak. The priest confirmed their veracity and origin from God but did not have the authorities for this as the Synod of UGCC officially claimed', the message said.

During the searches at the monasteries in Kolodiivka and Velyki Borky, the violations of the monastic discipline and prayers of exorcism without the particular permissions were spotted.

[…]

The re-organization of St. Theodore the Studite monastery took place after the conclusions of the commission. However, part of the monks did not accept the comments of the church authorities and refused to obey. They continued to violate the monastic rules and illegally settled in Posich village, Ivano-Frankivsk region.

'After the proper warnings, nine monks were defrocked. Pope personally approved this decision', the message said.

In accordance with the approved decrees, they lose their affiliation to the monastic practice, the right to wear robes; they are deprived of all rights and commitments and they cannot call themselves the monks.

[…]

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:11 am

wosbald wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:31 am
+JMJ+

Pope defrocks nine Ukrainian monks due to exorcism
Reuters

Bishop of Rome Francis approved the decrees on the defrocking of nine Ukrainian monks for the exorcism as the official website of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church (UGCC) reported.

'The people started to talk about Sister Maria Baran from the monastery in Velyki Borky in 2004. She seemed to hear the voice of God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, Sacred Virgin Mary, and some saints. Some of the messages were written down by Father Planchak. The priest confirmed their veracity and origin from God but did not have the authorities for this as the Synod of UGCC officially claimed', the message said.

During the searches at the monasteries in Kolodiivka and Velyki Borky, the violations of the monastic discipline and prayers of exorcism without the particular permissions were spotted.

[…]

The re-organization of St. Theodore the Studite monastery took place after the conclusions of the commission. However, part of the monks did not accept the comments of the church authorities and refused to obey. They continued to violate the monastic rules and illegally settled in Posich village, Ivano-Frankivsk region.

'After the proper warnings, nine monks were defrocked. Pope personally approved this decision', the message said.

In accordance with the approved decrees, they lose their affiliation to the monastic practice, the right to wear robes; they are deprived of all rights and commitments and they cannot call themselves the monks.

[…]
Do you even Mass, bro?

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 am

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:07 pm

I hope you all had a blessed Palm Sunday.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:07 pm

+JMJ+

Gazan Christians say have no permits yet to visit Jerusalem at Easter
FILE PHOTO: A worshipper lights a candle as she visits the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem's Old City January 22, 2018. REUTERS/Ammar Awad/File Photo

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Christians in the Gaza Strip have yet to receive any permits to go to Jerusalem to celebrate Easter, they said on Tuesday.

The Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem said church authorities had applied for around 600 permits for Gazans to travel, but had not received any, three days before Good Friday.

Israel tightly restricts movements out of the Gaza Strip, territory controlled by Hamas, an Islamist group that it considers a terrorist organization.

[…]

“Israel is a sovereign state and it has the right to decide who will enter its gates. No foreign residents have an inherent right to enter Israel, including Palestinian residents of the Gaza Strip,” a Civil Administration (COGAT) spokesman said, without saying whether permits would be issued this year.

[…]

Father Ibrahim Shomali, chancellor of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, said worshippers should not even be required to get permits.

“We have to have free access to the Holy Land, free access to our holy places,” he said at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, revered as the site of Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection.

“Of course we apply, but in reality there must be no applying for permits to come to visit your own places.”

[…]

Christian leaders said U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision in December to recognize Jerusalem - sacred to Judaism, Christianity and Islam - as Israel’s capital could embolden Israeli authorities’ restrictions to their holy sites.

“(Israel) will close every single checkpoint, and this will be more strict than any other year because of the proclamation of Trump and the effects we got from it, and that we will get from it,” Shomali said.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:12 pm

+JMJ+
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:07 pm
I hope you all had a blessed Palm Sunday.
Backatcha. :thumbsup:

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:05 am

+JMJ+

Israel to restrict entry of Gaza Christians for Easter
Catholic clergy walk during the Washing of the Feet procession at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, traditionally believed by many Christians to be the site of the crucifixion and burial of Jesus Christ, in Jerusalem, Thursday, March 29, 2018. (Credit: Mahmoud Illean/AP.)

JERUSALEM — Israeli authorities said Thursday that they have decided to block most of Gaza’s small Christian community from entering Israel for Easter celebrations, citing security concerns.

[…]

COGAT, the defense body that oversees Palestinian civilian affairs, said it will let only Christians aged 55 and older and children under age 16 enter Israel for Easter, which is celebrated by Catholics on Sunday and Orthodox Christians the following week. It said the restrictions were needed after previous cases in which Gazan visitors overstayed their permitted time in Israel.

A Christian leader in Gaza said the restrictions mean that only about one-third of the community’s 1,100 members will be allowed into Israel to celebrate. He said he was disappointed because his children would not be able to see their aunts in the West Bank city of Ramallah. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he did not want to jeopardize his own entry permit.

Wadie Abunassar, a Catholic Church official, called the restrictions “very sad” because Easter is a family holiday. He said it was “not reasonable” to allow a mother and father to enter Israel, while “leaving their children back in Gaza,” and urged Israel to reconsider.

[…]

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:23 am

Have a Good Friday, y'all!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:00 am

+JMJ+

Papal preacher says God’s love isn’t just sacrifice — it’s erotic, too
Pope Francis lies down in prayer during the Good Friday Passion of Christ Mass inside St. Peter's Basilica, at the Vatican, Friday, March 30, 2018. Pope Francis began the Good Friday service at the Vatican with the Passion of Christ Mass and hours later will go to the ancient Colosseum in Rome for the traditional Way of the Cross procession. (Credit: AP Photo/Andrew Medichini.)

ROME — In a deliberately provocative turn of phrase, the Preacher of the Papal Household on Good Friday told worshippers in St. Peter’s Basilica, including Pope Francis, that the love revealed by Christ on the Cross wasn’t just about sacrifice and self-giving - it was also erotic.

“God not only exercises ‘charity’ in loving us, he also desires us,” said Capuchin Father Raniero Cantalamessa, delivering the traditional Good Friday meditation.

“Throughout the Bible, he reveals himself as a loving and jealous spouse,” Cantalamessa said. His love is also ‘erotic’ in the noble sense of that word.”

Cantalamessa said the understanding of love today has suffered a “tragic drift,” which is forever contradicted by Christ on the Cross. Love, he said, is no longer “a gift of self, but only the possession — often violent and tyrannical — of the other.”

By way of contrast, he said, God’s love is always both eros and agape — both desire for the other, but also a willingness to sacrifice for them.

“It is not a question of renouncing the joys of love, attraction, and eros, but of knowing how to unite eros and agape in the desire for another, the ability to give oneself to the other, recalling what St. Paul refers to as a saying of Jesus: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive’,” he said.

Now 83, Cantalamessa has served as the Preacher of the Papal Household for 38 years, having been appointed to the post by St. Pope John Paul II in 1980. Since 1753, it’s been reserved by papal edict to the Capuchins, the fourth largest men’s religious order in the Catholic Church after the Jesuits, Salesians and Franciscans.

(As a footnote, the name “Cantalamessa” in Italian literally means, “sing the Mass.”)

Cantalamessa’s comments on the erotic element of God’s love came in his homily during the Good Friday service, in the context of reflections on young people in a year in which Pope Francis has called a summit of Catholic prelates from around the world, known as a Synod of Bishops, to Rome in October.

[…]