THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 am

Interesting.

The Journal of Forensic Sciences is a respected, peer-reviewed scientific journal.

In the normal course of forensic analysis, the evidence is taken as real and the analysis attempts to reconstruct the events.

This experiment was different: They presumed that the cloth neatly wrapped a man, in supine posture, who had been tortured to death according to eye-witness accounts. In the real world, the hasty burial of a bloody corpse likely resulted in some smudge stains that obscured the trails of blood.

I trust that the researchers are not biased. I would like for them to examine the Shroud again as if it were real, and see if they can reconstruct the events of the burial from the blood evidence that remains.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 am
Interesting.

The Journal of Forensic Sciences is a respected, peer-reviewed scientific journal.

In the normal course of forensic analysis, the evidence is taken as real and the analysis attempts to reconstruct the events.

This experiment was different: They presumed that the cloth neatly wrapped a man, in supine posture, who had been tortured to death according to eye-witness accounts. In the real world, the hasty burial of a bloody corpse likely resulted in some smudge stains that obscured the trails of blood.

I trust that the researchers are not biased. I would like for them to examine the Shroud again as if it were real, and see if they can reconstruct the events of the burial from the blood evidence that remains.
I remain skeptical about it’s authenticity. I usually do about many relics. However, I don’t really want to make an issue of it. Even “fake” ones have proven beneficial for many people’s faith and real experiences of faith happen around them. Frankly, I wish churches would simply refuse to participate in the science of authenticity. It detracts from the whole blessing these relics are. Even the “fake” ones become authentic in their own way.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 am
Interesting.

I remain skeptical about it’s authenticity. I usually do about many relics. However, I don’t really want to make an issue of it. Even “fake” ones have proven beneficial for many people’s faith and real experiences of faith happen around them. Frankly, I wish churches would simply refuse to participate in the science of authenticity. It detracts from the whole blessing these relics are. Even the “fake” ones become authentic in their own way.

Being skeptical is good!
In this case what isn't known is the condition of the corpus before being wrapped in the shroud---what position the corpus was in on the way to where it was wrapped and the extent of the hasty preparation (cleansing?) it was given. If the corpus had already bled out on the crucifix--which seems likely if the discharge from the spear wound went from blood to water as the Bible accounts--- it is possible there wouldn't be enough blood left to create the stain the article purports should have happened. Another unknown is how long the corpus was left enshrouded. If Christ had physically descended into hell before rising, I don't think he would have been enshrouded for the duration of the trip. The longer the time the corpus was in the shroud, the more the likelihood of blood pooling as the researchers described if there was enough blood remaining.

I'm not a forensic scientist but I have worked a few gruesome crime scenes.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:36 pm

I agree with Thunktank. Scientific attempts of authentication are a moot exercise, however interesting. Like gazing at a work of art, looking at the shroud's image can bring much to mind, if only to help one recognize if not visualize the severity of the crucifixion, and the cost of redemption.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)