THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:11 pm

FYI, I’m “officially” Catholic now. Just in case anyone here cares. :)
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:03 pm

+JMJ+
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:11 pm
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:15 am

Thunktank wrote:
Welcome Home!

Even though the House is a bit of a mess, right now.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:38 pm

Galileo’s newly discovered letter shows his clever attempt to outsmart the Catholic Church
In one case, Galileo referred to certain propositions in the Bible as “false if one goes by the literal meaning of the words.” He crossed through the word “false,” and replaced it with “look different from the truth.” In another section, he changed his reference to the Scriptures “concealing” its most basic dogmas, to the weaker “veiling.”
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:15 am
Thunktank wrote:
Welcome Home!

It is a mess right now. The Orthodox communion is a mess right now too in other ways. But I’m nevertheless surprisingly at peace about this choice I finely made. I always loved the Byzantine rite, at the same time I also like the more universal character of the Catholic Church and the clear concise office of St. Peter. In other words I have long loved the east and west and now I can fully embrace the best of both! It stands in sharp contrast to the anti western infighting between Metropolitans and Patriarchs throwing each other in and out of communion willy nilly over territory while seemingly being more concerned about being Russian or Georgian or whatever than being a part of a universal church. Along with all that many Orthodox churches are full of corruption and in bed with corrupt governments who also stand in opposition to the rights and privileges of Catholics in their territories.

Rant over.

Despite all the mess that seems to plague the media and CPS as a result of the horrible sins of some from the church, I’ve been blessed with good fellowship and fruitful activity in my daily life living as a Catholic Christian. :)
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:23 am

+JMJ+

Pope wants rosary prayed to protect Church from devil's 'turbulence'
In this Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2018, file photo, Pope Francis delivers his message during his weekly general audience in St. Peter's Square at the Vatican. The former Vatican ambassador who accused three popes and their advisers of covering up for a disgraced American ex-cardinal has denounced Pope Francis' refusal to directly respond to his claims and challenged the Vatican to say what it knows about the scandal. (Credit: AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)

ROME — In a move suggesting Pope Francis believes the Church is in a moment of “spiritual turbulence,” the pontiff is asking Catholics around the world to pray the rosary every day during the month of October for protection of the Church from the devil.

The daily praying of the rosary during the “Marian month of October,” a Vatican statement Saturday said, will unite the faithful “in communion and penance, as a people of God, in asking the Holy Mother of God and St. Michael the Archangel to protect the Church from the devil, who always aims to divide us from God and among us.”

The statement also says that, as the pope noted during his daily homily on Sept. 11, prayer is the weapon against “the Great accuser who ‘travels around the world looking for accusations’.”

Beyond daily praying of the rosary, the pope is also requesting the faithful to add two prayers: An ancient invocation Sub Tuum Praesidium and a prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel “who protects and helps fight against evil,” according to the Book of Revelations.

The Vatican statement also said that the pope has tasked Jesuit Father Fréderic Fornos, who heads the Pope’s Worldwide Prayer Network, to spread this appeal. The Spanish priest heads the network once known as the Apostleship of Prayer, responsible for the pope’s monthly prayer videos. October’s intention, planned a year in advance, is supposed to be “The Mission of Religious.”

“Only prayer can defeat [the devil],” said the statement. “The Russian mystics and the great saints of all traditions advised, in moments of spiritual turbulence, to protect themselves under the mantle of the Holy Mother of God by pronouncing the invocation Sub Tuum Praesidium.”

The Marian prayer also known in English as “Beneath Thy Protection” is the oldest hymn dedicated to the Virgin and is well known among many Catholics, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox countries, and is often a favorite song used along with Salve Regina.

With the request announced on Saturday, the pope is “asking the faithful of the whole world to pray so that the Mother of God puts the Church under her protective mantle to preserve her from the attacks of the evil one, the great accuser, and to make [the Church] all the more conscious of the faults, the mistakes, the abuses made in the present and in the past, and more committed to fighting without any hesitation for evil not to prevail.”

[…]

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 am

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:07 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 am
Interesting.

The Journal of Forensic Sciences is a respected, peer-reviewed scientific journal.

In the normal course of forensic analysis, the evidence is taken as real and the analysis attempts to reconstruct the events.

This experiment was different: They presumed that the cloth neatly wrapped a man, in supine posture, who had been tortured to death according to eye-witness accounts. In the real world, the hasty burial of a bloody corpse likely resulted in some smudge stains that obscured the trails of blood.

I trust that the researchers are not biased. I would like for them to examine the Shroud again as if it were real, and see if they can reconstruct the events of the burial from the blood evidence that remains.
I remain skeptical about it’s authenticity. I usually do about many relics. However, I don’t really want to make an issue of it. Even “fake” ones have proven beneficial for many people’s faith and real experiences of faith happen around them. Frankly, I wish churches would simply refuse to participate in the science of authenticity. It detracts from the whole blessing these relics are. Even the “fake” ones become authentic in their own way.

Being skeptical is good!
In this case what isn't known is the condition of the corpus before being wrapped in the shroud---what position the corpus was in on the way to where it was wrapped and the extent of the hasty preparation (cleansing?) it was given. If the corpus had already bled out on the crucifix--which seems likely if the discharge from the spear wound went from blood to water as the Bible accounts--- it is possible there wouldn't be enough blood left to create the stain the article purports should have happened. Another unknown is how long the corpus was left enshrouded. If Christ had physically descended into hell before rising, I don't think he would have been enshrouded for the duration of the trip. The longer the time the corpus was in the shroud, the more the likelihood of blood pooling as the researchers described if there was enough blood remaining.

I'm not a forensic scientist but I have worked a few gruesome crime scenes.
Liver mortis would have happened, but I (also not being a forensic pathologist) think this would have only added more blood had there been a wound where the blood was pooling. Places like the back of the head, the back of the legs, the back itself, of course depending on how the body was positioned. We should also consider the fact if the person was the subject of a crucifixion at the time of death most of the blood would have already started to pool in the lower extremities (feet if they were severely injured) and started coagulation. Just my thoughts.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:33 am

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:33 pm
Del wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Welcome Home!

It is a mess right now. The Orthodox communion is a mess right now too in other ways. But I’m nevertheless surprisingly at peace about this choice I finely made. I always loved the Byzantine rite, at the same time I also like the more universal character of the Catholic Church and the clear concise office of St. Peter. In other words I have long loved the east and west and now I can fully embrace the best of both! It stands in sharp contrast to the anti western infighting between Metropolitans and Patriarchs throwing each other in and out of communion willy nilly over territory while seemingly being more concerned about being Russian or Georgian or whatever than being a part of a universal church. Along with all that many Orthodox churches are full of corruption and in bed with corrupt governments who also stand in opposition to the rights and privileges of Catholics in their territories.

Rant over.

Despite all the mess that seems to plague the media and CPS as a result of the horrible sins of some from the church, I’ve been blessed with good fellowship and fruitful activity in my daily life living as a Catholic Christian. :)
Which Rite?
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:33 am
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:33 pm
Del wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Welcome Home!

Rant over.

Which Rite?
Byzantine, though more often than not, I attend Roman Rite Mass due to easy proximity, my own German American heritage and my baptized Irish Catholic wife who tolerates the Roman Rite and doesn’t feel comfortable doing the Byzantine Rite. I do love the Byzantine Rite and Eastern perspective of theology, but the Roman Rite and scholastic history is very practical for me. I’m right where I belong, I truly experience both “lungs” of the church. Few can say that as truly as I can. :D

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:00 pm

+JMJ+

Notre Dame honors women's center as exemplar of 'culture of life'
(Credit: CNS)

ROME — Notre Dame’s Center for Ethics and Culture announced on Sunday that it would bestow its annual prize to a hometown hero, the Women’s Care Center Foundation, which will be awarded this spring on the university’s campus.

The Women’s Care Center, which first opened its doors in 1984 in South Bend, Indiana — just a stone’s throw from Notre Dame’s campus — is now in 11 states around the country and boasts 28 pregnancy resource centers that provide services for more than 26,000 women each year.

“The Women’s Care Center sets the standard nationwide for compassionate and comprehensive care for mothers, babies and families,” said O. Carter Snead, the William P. and Hazel B. White Director of the Center for Ethics and Culture in a statement. “In its work and witness, the Women’s Care Center embodies the unconditional love and radical hospitality that anchors and sustains a culture of life. It is our privilege to honor them with the Evangelium Vitae Medal.”

The Evangelium Vitae award is the annual prize of the University of Notre Dame’s Center for Ethics and Culture, which honors “individuals whose outstanding efforts have served to proclaim the Gospel of Life by steadfastly affirming and defending the sanctity of human life from its earliest stages.”

The award is named after Saint John Paul II’s 1995 encyclical by the same name, and is arguably the most prestigious pro-life prize in the United States.

The Women’s Care Center is known for its work in providing counseling and education to women facing unplanned pregnancies, as well as its programming for both mother and child wellness.

Notre Dame President Father John Jenkins praised their work in a statement on Sunday saying, “The Women’s Care Center gives women in crisis the support they need for themselves and their children before and after birth.”

“The WCC provides compassionate, non-judgmental, loving care to women most in need. They are a beacon of hope — here in South Bend and in every community they serve,” said Jenkins, who is also a member of their board.

[…]

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:06 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:00 pm
+JMJ+

Notre Dame honors women's center as exemplar of 'culture of life'
(Credit: CNS)

ROME — Notre Dame’s Center for Ethics and Culture announced on Sunday that it would bestow its annual prize to a hometown hero, the Women’s Care Center Foundation, which will be awarded this spring on the university’s campus.

The Women’s Care Center, which first opened its doors in 1984 in South Bend, Indiana — just a stone’s throw from Notre Dame’s campus — is now in 11 states around the country and boasts 28 pregnancy resource centers that provide services for more than 26,000 women each year.

“The Women’s Care Center sets the standard nationwide for compassionate and comprehensive care for mothers, babies and families,” said O. Carter Snead, the William P. and Hazel B. White Director of the Center for Ethics and Culture in a statement. “In its work and witness, the Women’s Care Center embodies the unconditional love and radical hospitality that anchors and sustains a culture of life. It is our privilege to honor them with the Evangelium Vitae Medal.”

The Evangelium Vitae award is the annual prize of the University of Notre Dame’s Center for Ethics and Culture, which honors “individuals whose outstanding efforts have served to proclaim the Gospel of Life by steadfastly affirming and defending the sanctity of human life from its earliest stages.”

The award is named after Saint John Paul II’s 1995 encyclical by the same name, and is arguably the most prestigious pro-life prize in the United States.

The Women’s Care Center is known for its work in providing counseling and education to women facing unplanned pregnancies, as well as its programming for both mother and child wellness.

Notre Dame President Father John Jenkins praised their work in a statement on Sunday saying, “The Women’s Care Center gives women in crisis the support they need for themselves and their children before and after birth.”

“The WCC provides compassionate, non-judgmental, loving care to women most in need. They are a beacon of hope — here in South Bend and in every community they serve,” said Jenkins, who is also a member of their board.

[…]
Oh goodie, you listened to my complaint. Thank you. :lol:

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:37 am

+JMJ+

Mary is a mother to sinners, not the corrupt, pope says
Pope Francis venerates a statue of Mary and the child Jesus at the conclusion of the opening Mass of the Synod of Bishops on young people, the faith and vocational discernment at the Vatican Oct 3. (Credit: Paul Haring/CNS)

ROME — Even the greatest sinners can find a loving mother in Mary while those who are corrupt find refuge only in their own blind and selfish desires, Pope Francis said.

In a book that was scheduled to be released Oct. 10 in Italian, the pope said Mary is unable to enter the hearts of corrupt men and women because they have made the “satanic” choice of “locking the door from the inside.”

“Mary cannot be the mother of the corrupt because the corrupt would sell their own mother, they would sell their belongings to a family, to a people,” the pope said. “They look for their own profit, whether it’s economic, intellectual, political, of any kind.”

The book, titled Ave Maria (“Hail Mary”), features reflections on the Marian prayer made by Francis during an interview with Father Marco Pozza, a prison chaplain in the northern Italian city of Padova.

Several excerpts of the new book were published Oct. 8 by Vatican Insider, the online news supplement to the Italian newspaper La Stampa.

The pope said he imagined that throughout Mary’s life, she remained a “normal woman” despite the extraordinary circumstances of being the mother of God, and “she is a woman that any woman from this world can imitate.”

“Mary was normal. She worked, she did grocery shopping, helped her son, helped her husband: Normal,” he said. “Normality is living with the people and like the people. It is abnormal to live without roots within a people, without a connection to a historical people.”

Without those connections, the pope said, a sin can arise that “Satan, our enemy, likes so much: The sin of the elite.”

“The elite do not know what it means to live among the people. And when I speak of elite, I do not mean a social class: I speak of an attitude of the soul,” he said. “One can belong to a church of the elite. But, as the (Second Vatican) Council said in Lumen Gentium, the church is the holy faithful people of God. The church is a people, the people of God. And the devil loves the elite.”

But those who recognize their sins can experience Mary’s motherly protection because she “is mother of all of us sinners, from the greatest to the least holy.”

“That is the reality,” the pope said. “If I told myself that I wasn’t a sinner, I would be the greatest corrupt person.”

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:52 am

+JMJ+

New documentary reveals rare interview of Blessed Oscar Romero
Blessed Oscar Romero is seen speaking to a Swiss journalist in this screen grab from 1979. The rare interview was released in Spanish for the first time and featured in a new documentary titled "Oscar Romero: A Shepherd According to the Heart of Christ." Blessed Romero will be canonized Oct. 14. (Credit: CNS photo/Oscar Romero: A Shepherd according to the heart of Christ.)

VATICAN CITY — A new documentary about Blessed Oscar Romero, featuring a rare interview with him, revealed the martyred archbishop’s thoughts regarding accusations that he became too progressive.

Salvadoran Cardinal Gregorio Rosa Chavez shared an excerpt of the interview with journalists during a briefing Oct. 11 at the Vatican press office.

“We had never heard this before because it was dubbed in German. We waited 40 years to find out what Archbishop Romero said,” Rosa Chavez said.

The cardinal, who directed the documentary “Oscar Romero: A Shepherd According to the Heart of Christ,” explained that in 1979 a Swiss television crew visited the future saint and asked to follow him for one week.

[…]

Although the Salvadoran archbishop did not view his support of the poor and the oppressed as support for a political ideology, rumors abounded both in the halls of El Salvador’s right-wing government and in the corridors of the Vatican.

Rosa Chavez told journalists that the same year the documentary was filmed, Romero met with the newly elected pope, St. John Paul II.

The meeting, the cardinal said, was “disconcerting for Romero” because the pope scolded him for his lack of harmony with the Salvadoran bishops. At the time, several reports from the Salvadoran bishops’ conference were sent to the Pope John Paul accusing Romero of causing division.

In his diary entry following the meeting, Romero said that he was “worried to see how much the negative reports of my pastoral work had influenced the pope.”

However, Rosa Chavez explained, after Romero’s martyrdom, John Paul realized the inaccuracy of the reports. The pope even visited the slain archbishop’s tomb in 1983 against the wishes of the Salvadoran government and local Church leaders.

“The pope went to the Blessed Sacrament and then to Romero’s tomb where he prostrated in prayer; I was very close to him and the pope said, ‘Romero is a saint,'” the cardinal recalled.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:23 pm

+JMJ+

Washington state’s Supreme Court unanimously strikes down death penalty
Protesters calling for an end to the death penalty unfurl a banner in late March outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington. (Credit: Jason Reed/Reuters via CNS)

SEATTLE, Washington — The Catholic bishops of Washington state Oct. 11 applauded the unanimous decision of the state Supreme Court striking down the death penalty as unconstitutional.

The court ruled its use is arbitrary and racially biased and converted the sentences for the state’s eight death-row inmates to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Executions have been rare in Washington. Five prisoners have been put to death in recent decades. In 2014, the governor imposed a moratorium blocking its use.

“The bishops have long been on record as opposing capital punishment,” said a statement issued by the Washington State Catholic Conference, the public policy arm of the bishops. “Today’s decision by the Supreme Court indicates a move toward greater justice and greater respect for life at all stages.”

“The Catholic Church’s consistent belief is that every human life is sacred from conception until natural death - it is this principle that has energized our efforts for decades to abolish the death penalty,” said Archbishop J. Peter Sartain of Seattle.

[…]

In addition to Sartain, Washington’s bishops are: Bishop Thomas A. Daly of Spokane; Bishop Joseph J. Tyson of Yakima; and Auxiliary Bishops Eusebio L. Elizondo and Daniel H. Mueggenborg of Seattle.

“This decision will save Washington state taxpayers millions of dollars that would otherwise be wasted,” said an official of Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty.

Hannah Cox, the organization’s national manager, added: “Conservatives in Washington state and across the country increasingly realize the death penalty is a failed government program that does not value life, threatens innocent people, and wastes money.”

Del

Post by Del » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:17 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:23 pm
+JMJ+

Washington state’s Supreme Court unanimously strikes down death penalty
Protesters calling for an end to the death penalty unfurl a banner in late March outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington. (Credit: Jason Reed/Reuters via CNS)

SEATTLE, Washington — The Catholic bishops of Washington state Oct. 11 applauded the unanimous decision of the state Supreme Court striking down the death penalty as unconstitutional.

The court ruled its use is arbitrary and racially biased and converted the sentences for the state’s eight death-row inmates to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Who decides on the sentence in Washington state? Is it the jury or the judge?

In either case, I am surprised to learn that their judges and/or juries are racists... but I am glad that the death penalty is gone from there. They should probably review the convictions of persons sentenced by racist judges and juries, as well.

Wisconsin was the first state to abolish the death penalty.... in 1853.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 am

+JMJ+

Masses, celebrations in U.S. mark canonization of St. Romero
Worshippers recite the Lord’s Prayer during an an Oct. 14 Mass at the Shrine of the Sacred Heart in Washington celebrating the canonization of St. Oscar Romero. Around 800 people, mostly immigrants, attended the Mass and a parish celebration afterward. St. Oscar Romero and six other new saints were canonized by Pope Francis Oct. 14 at the Vatican. (CNS photo/Jaclyn Lippelmann, Catholic Standard)

WASHINGTON (CNS) — With a Mass, processions and fellowship, about 800 people, mostly immigrants, gathered at the Shrine of the Sacred Heart Church in Washington Oct. 14 to celebrate the canonization of St. Oscar Romero.

The modern-day Salvadoran martyr who advocated for the poor and oppressed was one of seven saints canonized by Pope Francis just hours before the celebration at the shrine.

“This is a great honor, he is a saint who comes from the poorest places where he accompanied those who suffered,” said Maria Quintero, from Hyattsville, Maryland.

The entrance procession for the Mass included people carrying flags to the altar representing about two dozen countries, mostly from Latin America, reflecting the diversity of the parish community and the world reach of St. Romero’s message.

Capuchin Franciscan Father Urbano Vazquez, who celebrated the noon Mass in Spanish, reminded parishioners that “Monsenor Romero,” as he was popularly known in El Salvador, was “someone who left all earthly possessions to follow God and receive eternal life.”

He also was an evangelizer as Pope Francis calls everyone to be. “He visited the sick, the suffering, those in the slums,” the priest said.

Father Vazquez said St. Romero faced death for speaking the truth of the Gospel and speaking up against injustices, particularly after the assassination of his friend, Jesuit Father Rutilio Grande, who also defended the poor and greatly influenced St. Romero.

The violence and oppression of El Salvador’s civil war claimed the lives of about 70,000 people and St. Romero stirred controversy for his defense of the poor and vulnerable based on Catholic social teachings.

By speaking up against injustices, he was able to convince and move hearts but also stir waters that cost him his life, but his death was not in vain, said the Salvadoran priest.

“The blood of martyrs are seeds for more Catholic Christians. That’s why the Catholic Church flourishes,” he said.

Father Vazquez urged the congregation to continue following St. Romero’s example by advocating on behalf of those without an immigration status.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:52 am

+JMJ+

Inter-Thread Trackbacks: pg 114 / pg 114 / pg 114

Christian leaders urge Israeli PM to nix church lands bill

JERUSALEM (AP) — Christian leaders in Jerusalem are urging Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to stop a bill that the churches say would allow the state to appropriate land sold to buyers.

Orthodox, Catholic and Armenian church leaders wrote a letter to Netanyahu on Friday saying the vote “constitutes a flagrant disregard” of his earlier assurances to block the legislation. The government’s Ministerial Legislation Committee will reportedly vote on the bill on Sunday.

The bill’s sponsor, lawmaker Rachel Azaria, has said the questionable sales of these properties have plunged thousands of Jerusalem residents into uncertainty over their living conditions.

Earlier this year, the churches shut Jerusalem’s Church of the Holy Sepulcher, where many Christians believe Jesus was crucified and buried, for three days after the municipality tried to levy taxes on church properties.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:56 pm

+JMJ+

Inter-Thread Trackbacks: pg 114 / pg 114 / pg 114 / pg 122

PM again puts brakes on draft law to confiscate land sold by churches [In-Depth]
Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem Theophilos III delivers a statement to the press announcing the closure of the Holy Sepulchre church as he stands next to the Custodian of the Holy Land Fr. Francesco Patton and Armenian Bishop Siwan, left, on February 25, 2018. (AFP/ GALI TIBBON)

Under pressure from furious church leaders and from head of powerful US congressional caucus, Benjamin Netanyahu stops advancement of bill backed by justice minister

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday intervened again to prevent the Knesset committee charged with approving legislation from considering a bill to allow the state to confiscate lands in Israel sold by churches to private developers.

The move followed pressure from the churches and, as the Times of Israel can reveal, from the co-chairman of a powerful US congressional caucus established five years ago to advance the trilateral interests of Israel, Greece and Cyprus.

The committee’s discussion of the bill has been postponed for another week, although it is far from clear that it will not be put off yet again.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:59 pm

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackback: pg 121

Parma eparchy says August attack didn’t happen, places priest on leave

(Credit: St. Petersburg Theological Academy via Flickr (CC BY-ND 2.0) via CNA)

PARMA, Ohio — Father Basil Hutsko is accused of misconduct alleged to have occurred 35 years ago, the eparchy stated.

“Though Father Basil Hutsko denies the accusation, Bishop Milan Lach having heard from the priest, the Review Board, and the Promotor [sic] of Justice, has found the accusation to be credible,” the eparchy said. “A finding that the accusation is credible is not a finding of guilt,” it added.

In August, Hutsko had been reported to have been attacked at his parish. The eparchy’s statement said that attack did not take place.

The eparchy “has recently verified with a member of Father Basil Hutsko’s immediate family that the incident Father Basil Hutsko reported on Aug. 20, 2018, did not occur,” the statement said.

An August statement attributed to the eparchial chancery which was widely shared on Facebook said Hutsko “was attacked and knocked unconscious” in the altar server’s sacristy at his parish after celebrating the Divine Liturgy.

[…]

Later in August, the eparchy said that an abuse complaint had been made against Hutsko in 2004, but it was not deemed credible. The complaint was made by a woman who said the priest had abused her as a child between 1979 and 1983.

Hutsko has also served at parishes in Cleveland, Dayton, and Marblehead, Ohio, and Sterling Heights, Michigan.

The Parma eparchy has also placed on administrative leave Father Stephen Muth, in response to a recent credible accusation of sexual misconduct involving a vulnerable adult.

“The Eparchy of Parma is committed to protecting children and helping to heal victims of abuse,” the chancery stated. “We are deeply sorry for the pain suffered by survivors of abuse due to actions of some members of the clergy.”