THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:47 pm

+JMJ+

Pope: Tolerating each other’s flaws fights devil’s attempts to divide
In a file photo, Pope Francis celebrates Mass in the chapel of his Vatican residence at the Domus Sanctae Marthae. (Credit: CNS photo/L'Osservatore Romano.)

ROME — Humility, kindness and generosity are needed to create peace in the world, starting in one’s own family, Pope Francis said.

“To create peace, unity among us (it takes) humility, gentleness - we who are used to insulting each other, yelling at each other - gentleness, and magnanimity,” he said Oct. 26 during morning Mass in the Domus Sanctae Marthae.

“But can you really make peace in the world with these three little things? Yes, it is the journey. Can you reach unity? Yes, that (is) the journey: humility, gentleness and magnanimity,” he said.

The pope’s homily reflected on the day’s first reading from St. Paul’s Letter to the Ephesians (4:1-6). The imprisoned apostle was calling for unity among Christians, who were “too caught up with their infighting,” the pope said.

[…]

Even world bodies set up to create peace have their efforts stymied by “a veto here, a special interest there, and they struggle finding a peace accord,” he said. “And in the meantime, children have nothing to eat, they don’t go to school, they’re not educated, there are no hospitals because war destroys everything.”

This tendency to destroy, create war and divide people, the pope said, is sown in people’s hearts by the devil, “the destroyer of humanity.”

But, he said, as St. Paul teaches, the bond of peace creates and preserves unity. The apostle calls on Christians to live “in a manner worthy of the call you have received with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love.”

“Bearing with one another is not easy. Always some judgment, condemnation comes out, leading to separation, distance,” Francis said.

“The devil is happy” when he is able to alienate family members, the pope said, so the apostle’s advice is to bear with each other because everyone is a sinner and has flaws which can bother others and make them impatient.

“Jesus’ advice is to find agreement in the beginning, make peace right away” before problems escalate, he said. “This is humility, gentleness, this is magnanimity.”

[…]
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:24 pm

+JMJ+

New saint ‘keeps watch’ over Hispanic Catholic community

Latin-American Catholics celebrate the canonization of St. Oscar Romero

Denver’s Queen of Peace Parish was filled with faithful Salvadorians and other Catholics from the United States and diverse Latin-American countries Oct. 14, all celebrating with deep devotion the canonization of Archbishop Oscar Arnulfo Romero, whom Pope Francis declared a saint that same day.

Auxiliary Bishop of Denver Jorge Rodriguez celebrated a Spanish-language Mass at the Denver parish and highlighted the saint’s words as Archbishop of San Salvador in his homily: “If God accepts the sacrifice of my life, let my blood be a seed of freedom and the sign that hope will soon be a reality.”

“Archbishop Romero practiced Christian virtue to the highest degree: to the point of giving up his life; to the point of martyrdom,” Bishop Rodriguez said.

He highlighted Archbishop Romero’s “faith in Christ, his love for the poor, and his complete dedication to the advocacy and defense of their dignity as people and children of God.”

“[He was a pastor] who opted for the poor, for the oppressed, for those persecuted by the government, for those whose dignity and rights were violated with impunity. He was, as he himself said, ‘The voice of the voiceless,’” Bishop Rodriguez assured.

AURORA, CO – OCTOBER 14: Bishop Jorge Rodriguez celebrates Mass for newly canonized Archbishop Óscar Romero at Queen of Peace Catholic Parish on October 14, 2018, in Aurora, Colorado. (Photo by Anya Semenoff/Denver Catholic)

Moreover, the prelate affirmed that St. Oscar Romero reminds the faithful that, “at times, love of neighbor requires social and political commitment, which can even take the form of prophetic denunciation, of the defense of excluded rights and of committed action.”

“We also live in the midst of injustices, of our own brothers and sisters who are deprived of their liberty in detention centers for not possessing documents; of immigrants whose rights are violated and find themselves separated from their families; of our brothers and sisters who day after day leave home fearful of being arrested… while they work honestly to offer a future to their children,” Bishop Rodriguez said.

“According to Catholic teaching, when we are dealing with human beings who possess inviolable and unalienable rights, we need to act respecting their dignity… allowing everyone to have access to what they need… especially helping the poor in a spirit of solidarity,” Bishop Rodriguez told the Denver Catholic in a previous interview, in which he also quoted the Catechism of the Catholic Church: “The more prosperous nations are obliged, to the extent they are able, to welcome the foreigner in search of the security and the means of livelihood… [and] immigrants are obliged… to obey its laws and to assist in carrying civic burdens” (2241).

In that interview, he explained that, with the common good in mind, comprehensive policies can be created, keeping in mind the tension between the immigrant’s right to migrate and the State’s right to control its borders. Such policies could make a “both-and” of respecting the human person and the law, instead of an “either-or.” These laws, he assured, need to be at the service of the human person.

During his homily, the bishop called those present to action: “It is urgent that we help these brothers and sisters, that we be by their side, denounce the trampling of their rights, and participate in the political battle for a comprehensive immigration reform.”

AURORA, CO – OCTOBER 14: Parishioners celebrate the canonization of Archbishop Óscar Romero during Mass at Queen of Peace Catholic Parish on October 14, 2018, in Aurora, Colorado. (Photo by Anya Semenoff/Denver Catholic)

[…]

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:30 pm

Jack asked this morning when the fish frys start up.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:27 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:30 pm
Why?

Do they stop during part of the year in your area?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:56 am

I started reading Anthony Esolen's book Nostalgia.
Wow!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:54 am

It’s hard to find a fish fry around here any time of year!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:27 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:30 pm
Why?

Do they stop during part of the year in your area?
Yeah, just have 'em during Lent.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:18 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:54 am
Now I've got this mental picture I can't get rid of, of Dean Martin wearing a tuxedo and telling fish jokes to Allen King, Brooks Foster, Bob Newhart and Rich Little.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:18 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:54 am
Now I've got this mental picture I can't get rid of, of Dean Martin wearing a tuxedo and telling fish jokes to Allen King, Brooks Foster, Bob Newhart and Rich Little.
Told you he was nuts. Nobody believed me. Well, what do you say now? :clown:
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:50 am

+JMJ+

Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries calls on Israel to rescind its Nation State Law

Statement of the Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land on the Nation State Law, passed by the Israeli Knesset on July 19, 2018

[…]

However, the 2018 Israeli Knesset promulgation of the Basic Law: Israel as the Nation State of the Jewish People is a blow to these [equality, justice and democracy] values. Although the law changes very little in practice, it does provide a constitutional and legal basis for discrimination among Israel’s citizens, clearly laying out the principles according to which Jewish citizens are to be privileged over and above other citizens. By promulgating “the development of Jewish settlement as a national value and will act to encourage and promote its establishment and consolidation”, the law promotes an inherent discriminatory vision. In fact, other than seriously downgrading the standing of the Arab language in relationship to the Hebrew language, the law totally ignores the fact that there is another people, the Palestinian Arabs, and other major religious communities, Christians and Muslims as well as Druze and Baha’i, that are profoundly rooted in this land.

Christians, Muslims, Druze, Baha’i and Jews, demand to be treated as equal citizens. This equality must include the respectful recognition of our civic (Israeli), ethnic (Palestinian Arab) and religious (Christian) identities, as both individuals and as communities. As Israelis and as Palestinian Arabs, we seek to be part of a state that promotes justice and peace, security and prosperity for all its citizens. As Christians, we take pride that the universal Church was founded in Jerusalem and her first faithful were children of this land and its people. We recognize that Jerusalem and the whole of this Holy Land is a heritage we share with Jews and Muslims, Druze and Baha’i, a heritage we are called upon to protect from division and internecine strife.

This Basic Law contradicts the identifiable humanist and democratic strands in Israeli legislation as well as international laws and conventions to which Israel is signatory, having as their aim the promotion of human rights, the respect of diversity and the strengthening of justice, equality and peace. We, as the religious leaders of the Catholic Churches, call on the authorities to rescind this Basic Law and assure one and all that the State of Israel seeks to promote and protect the welfare and the safety of all its citizens.

[…]

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Lead the way, Vatican?
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:38 pm

+JMJ+

Pope recognizes martyrdom of U.S. Christian Brother
Br. James Miller has been recognized as a martyr by the Vatican and will be beatified. He is pictured in this image courtesy of the Christian Brothers of the Midwest. (CNS/courtesy Christian Brothers of the Midwest)

VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis has recognized the martyrdom of De La Salle Christian Br. James Miller, who was born in Wisconsin and was shot to death in Guatemala in 1982.

The recognition of the martyrdom of Brother James, or Brother Santiago as he also was known, clears the way for his beatification; the date and location of the ceremony were not immediately announced.

[…]

Miller, the U.S. martyr, was born Sept. 21, 1944, in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. He met the Christian Brothers at Pacelli High School there and, at the age of 15, entered the order's juniorate in Missouri. After the novitiate, he taught Spanish, English and religion at Cretin High School in St. Paul, Minnesota, for three years. He also was in charge of school maintenance and served as the football coach.

Some websites refer to him as "Brother Fix-it" and an icon featured on the website of the Christian Brothers of the Midwest shows him wearing overalls.

In 1969, he was sent to Nicaragua, where he taught and helped build schools. According to the De La Salle Brother's website, "His religious superiors ordered him to leave Nicaragua in July 1979 during the time of the Sandinista revolution. It was feared that since he worked for the Somoza government, he might be at risk."

Returning to the United States, he again taught at Cretin High School. But in January 1981, he was sent to Guatemala, where he taught at a secondary school in Huehuetenango and at a center that helped young indigenous people learn job and leadership skills.

While on a ladder making repairs to the building on the afternoon of Feb. 13, 1982, he was shot several times by three hooded men and died instantly. No one was ever arrested for his murder. Funeral services were held in Guatemala and in St. Paul before he was buried in Polonia, Wisconsin.

[…]
================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Sr Thea Bowman’s Cause For Canonization Could Open At US Bishops’ Meeting [In-Depth]
Sister Thea Bowman. Courtesy of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration.

Sr. Thea Bowman was the first African American woman to address the U.S. bishops’ conference. Most likely, she was also the first person to get them to hold hands and sing and sway to a Negro Spiritual.

“We shall overcome,” she intoned at their 1988 spring meeting in her signature rich voice, before exhorting the bishops to join in with a hearty “Y’all get up!”

Sr. Thea, a Franciscan Sister of Perpetual Adoration, a daughter of the Deep South and the granddaughter of a slave, was sick from battling cancer and confined to a wheelchair at the time.

But that didn’t stop the 51 year-old from doling out more instructions when the stiff group still wasn’t swaying to her satisfaction: “Cross your right hand over your left hand, you gotta move together to do that,” she said as the bishops crossed arms and held hands before continuing the song.

“See in the old days you had to tighten up so that when the bullets would come, so that when the tear gas would come, so that when the dogs would come, so that when the horses would come, so that when the tanks would come, brothers and sisters would not be separated from one another,” she told the bishops, referring to the days of the Civil Rights movement.

“And do you remember what they did with the bishops and the clergy in those old days? Where’d they put them? Right up in front. To lead the people in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in the Church,” she said.

That keynote showcased Sr. Thea in her element — sharing her faith and love of God, urging racial awareness and reconciliation within the Catholic Church, joyfully belting out Gospel hymns and convincing everyone around her to join in.

Now, nearly 30 years after her death, Sr. Thea will once again feature at the U.S bishops’ conference – but this time, they will be voting to approve the opening of her cause for canonization.

[…]

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:42 am

What an appropriate way of marking Black Catholic History Month.

Excuse me, please. I'm reaching peak cynical.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 am

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackback: pg 123

Melkite Catholic bishops criticize deteriorating Palestinian situation
Melkite Catholic bishops from around the world are seen Nov. 7 for their synod in Rabweh, Lebanon under the leadership of Patriarch Joseph Absi (seated center). (Credit: CNS photo/courtesy Melkite Catholic Synod)

BEIRUT — Melkite Catholic bishops from around the world, meeting for their synod, criticized the deteriorating situation in the Palestinian territories and rejected of Israel’s Nation State Law.

In a final statement following their Nov. 5-10 synod in Rabweh, Lebanon, the bishops underscored “the seriousness of the oppression and the violation of the rights of innocent citizens” in the Palestinian territories and called upon “stakeholders to find the best ways to stop the tragedy of the Palestinian people.” The bishops appealed to the Palestinians “to unite their forces in the face of the new reality that is intended to be imposed on them.”

The bishops also rejected the Nation State Law passed by the Israeli Knesset July 19. The law limits the promotion and protection offered by the State of Israel to “Jewish citizens of the state of Israel.”

In their statement, the bishops said they support the position taken by Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land. …

[…]

Addressing the general situation in the Middle East, the Melkite bishops voiced concern about “the deteriorating economic situation that makes most people suffer under the problem of poverty and need.” They warned that such an atmosphere can be used “by those with influence and power to continue to control people in need.” The bishops appealed “to those concerned — wherever they may be — to work for the lifting of social injustice and the achievement of justice, in the interests of humanity and for the preservation of dignity.”

[…]

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm

I will be in Marion, NC this weekend.

Our Lady of the Angels there has a 9am Sunday Tridentine Mass.

I'll be there this Sunday.

258 North Garden Street
Marion, NC 28752

I have desired to worship in this Mass for a very long time.
DL Jake

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm

258 North Garden Street
Marion, NC 28752

I believe you will love it. Do you have a suitable Missal? It helps to follow along. I'm really excited for you.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm

258 North Garden Street
Marion, NC 28752

I believe you will love it. Do you have a suitable Missal? It helps to follow along. I'm really excited for you.
I don't have anything except my single decade Rosary and my RSV-CE.

I want to just sit, stand, kneel in the back and drink it all in. I'll have an opportunity to attend a couple times a year. For the December visit I will be more prepared.

Marion, NC has a Tridentine Mass. Really?
DL Jake