THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:32 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:10 pm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Welcome home, old son. That took tremendous courage and I admire you for it.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:27 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Hidden Content
It's FredS' fault. He started talking about the Desert Fathers. Next thing i know I'm jonesin' for a kneeler. Just sayin'.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:30 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:27 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Hidden Content
It's FredS' fault. He started talking about the Desert Fathers. Next thing i know I'm jonesin' for a kneeler. Just sayin'.
Hah!

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:51 am

+JMJ+

Priest assaulted by Hindu nationalists in India
Father Vineet Vincent Pereira. (Credit: Father Pereira)

MUMBAI, India — A Catholic priest was attacked by a Hindu mob in northern India, and then arrested by police after Hindus accused him of causing the disturbance.

Father Vineet Vincent Pereira was conducting a prayer service in Ghohana town in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh when right-wing Hindus attacked him on Nov. 14.

“Two local men barged into Ashwar Dham with the intention of causing tension, they were joined by two more people, and these four began beating up one of our inmates. I went to his rescue, and they hit me on the head, pulled my hair and hit me on my arm, making conversion allegations. Soon the number of attackers swelled. The entire incident lasted around ten minutes,” the priest told Crux.

Ishwar Dham is a four-room house rented by Pereira, where he lives with a few lay brothers and five additional residents who are ill. He holds prayer services every day, which are open to people of all faiths.

Right-wing Hindu groups have accused the priest of trying to convert the local Hindu population.

The mob that attacked the priest were allegedly members of Hindu Yuva Vahini, a radical Hindu youth group that tries to “re-convert” Hindus that have switched religions.

After the attack, Pereira said police took him into custody — allegedly for his own safety — but then charged him the next day for rioting and unlawful assembly.

“Father Pereira lives a hermit-like existence and regularly conducts prayers for around 1,500 of these people at his ashram. None of them have become Christians, but they follow Christian spiritual values,” said Father John Abraham, the vicar general for the Diocese of Varanasi.

According to Daiji World, a local news portal, Abraham said the attack was just another in a series of incidents against Christians.

[…]
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:26 pm

+JMJ+

Venice illuminated in red for Asia Bibi, persecuted Christians
Venice illuminated red in remembrance of persecuted Christians. (Credit: Daniel Ibanez/CNA)

VENICE, Italy — To express solidarity with persecuted Christians, including Asia Bibi, a Pakistani woman recently acquitted of blasphemy, the city of Venice was illuminated in red light Tuesday night.

In a message of support for the initiative, Pope Francis said the event “will draw the due attention of all to the serious problem of discrimination that Christians suffer in many parts of the world.”

“There are countries where a religion is imposed, others where there is violent persecution or systematic cultural mockery towards the disciples of Jesus!” he said.

Starting after dark Nov. 20, eight historic Venetian buildings, as well as the Rialto Bridge and the Basilica of Santa Maria della Salute, were lit up in the color red to bring awareness to the plight of persecuted Christians around the world.

The same evening, young people from the Archdiocese of Venice made a walking pilgrimage through the city to pray for persecuted Christians.

The event, sponsored by Aid to the Church in Need (ACN), follows a similar initiative in February, when the Colosseum was illuminated.

In 2017, ACN also illuminated in red London’s Parliament building, as well as the Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Paris and the cathedral in Manila, Philippines. The year before, the famous Trevi Fountain in Rome was lit.

From Nov. 21-Nov. 28, other major landmarks in the cities of Montreal, Toronto, Paris, Barcelona, London, Sydney, and Washington, DC will also be illuminated in red for an evening.

This year’s initiative, organized in conjunction with the city of Venice and the Patriarch of Venice, Francesco Moraglia, is being put on in a particular way for Pakistani Christian Asia Bibi.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:36 am

+JMJ+

Missionaries must challenge status quo, Vatican official says [In-Depth]
Nuns of the Missionaries of Charity, the order founded by Mother Teresa, pray by her tomb on her birth anniversary in Kolkata, India, Sunday, Aug. 26, 2018. (Credit: AP Photo/Bikas Das)

ROME — For one Vatican official, missionaries today face a two-fold challenge — they must find a balance between backing humanitarian causes while not hiding their Christian faith, and they must also push for deeper change at the root causes of poverty and inequality.

In comments to Crux, Jesuit Father Augusto Zampini Davies, who works in the Faith and Development section of the Vatican’s Dicastery for Integral Human Development, said the second challenge is more difficult, “because it is the geopolitical and economic situation.”

“If we really want to be Christians in that sense, in integral human development, we need to challenge the status quo,” he said, adding that “we cannot accept, we cannot help the poor or even work with them without tackling the causes of poverty.”

Poverty is rooted in economics, as is environmental degradation, he said, noting that the irony of the situation is that it is the poor themselves who “are being hit the most.”

“This is an irony and injustice which is outrageous,” Zampini said. “So when you start to grab and look at the roots of social and ecological problems, you need to challenge some ideas that are, I would say, the overarching ideas of the present, politically and economically speaking.”

Zampini was one of the speakers at a Nov. 21 panel discussion marking the 30th anniversary of the Movement and Action of Italian Jesuits for Development (MAGIS) organization, a popular missionary body in Italy that attracts swaths of young people.

[…]

Pointing to the Amazon, which will be the focus of next year’s Synod of Bishops on the Pan-Amazonian region, he said geopolitical concerns are especially potent for the people who live there.

Most at risk in the region are those who live near the river, particularly indigenous populations, who are becoming susceptible to new diseases spreading through the water due to pollution from the waste of international companies.

“We need to challenge that if we want promote the true development of the people in the Amazon. We need to challenge, saying this is unacceptable and we need to clean it because we polluted it. Why did we pollute it? Because we are developing industries to sustain the lifestyle of the rich countries, and that is effecting the very, very poor,” he said.

Yet being outspoken on issues like this can also put missionaries at risk, Zampini said, because when they challenge the system, they are challenging the government, large corporations, and left and right-wing factions who have their hands in the jar.

“If you are too vociferous, especially in the Amazon … you could easily be a martyr because you are complaining against the whole system,” he said, explaining that a key role missionaries can play is not to “give a voice to the voiceless,” because the people have their own voices, but they can accompany and help to protect the local populations.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:14 pm

+JMJ+

Vatican, Israeli rabbis issue joint call to protect child dignity
Displaced children are seen Sept. 11 at a camp in Idlib, Syria. (Credit: Khalil Ashawi/Reuters/CNS)

ROME — Leaders from the Jewish and Catholic communities met at the Vatican this week to discuss what their communities can do to ensure the dignity and development of children, who, leaders on both sides said, are the future of society but still too vulnerable to protect themselves.

The bilateral commission for Jewish-Catholic relations met at the Vatican Nov. 18-20 to discuss the topic, “The dignity of the human being: Jewish and Catholic teachings on children.”

Delegations from both the Grand Rabbinate of Israel, led by Rabbi Rasson Arusi, and the Holy See, led by Cardinal Peter Turkson, Prefect of the Vatican department for Integral Human Development, met as the United Nations’ Universal Children’s Day was celebrated Nov. 20.

The meeting centered primarily on the rights and dignity of children in light of the 1989 U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child.

In a joint statement after the discussion, participants stressed the importance of recognizing “the inviolability of human life and the inalienability of human dignity,” which they said are fully expressed in both a person’s relationship with God and with others.

Within this, they said, there’s a special obligation to care for the most vulnerable in society, especially children, who are “the guarantors of posterity” but who are “not yet able to express their full potential and to protect themselves.”

[…]

Other topics addressed during the meeting were ethical questions on end-of-life matters. An interreligious position paper was drafted on the subject, making special reference to the “dangers” of legalizing euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide, rather than exploring palliative care with “maximum respect for God-given life.”

[…]

In their statement, the delegations urged a greater reading of scripture and of the Second Vatican II document, Nostra aetate, in which the Church formally acknowledged that Judaism does not bear any guilt in the death of Jesus.

This and other texts on Jewish-Catholic relations, they said, “should be widely known and disseminated throughout both communities, providing impetus for the ongoing blessed reconciliation and cooperation between Jews and Catholics for the betterment of their faithful and society as a whole.”

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:08 pm

5:15 pm Eastern Time Vigil Mass at St. Thomas More

Christ, The King.

And Happy New year.
DL Jake

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:10 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Christ, The King.

And Happy New year.
Good. I was about to remind you, lol.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:10 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Christ, The King.

And Happy New year.
Good. I was about to remind you, lol.
:lol: :lol:
DL Jake

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:56 am

+JMJ+

Bishop Robert Morlino of Madison dies three days after ‘cardiac event’
Bishop Robert Morlino. (Credit: Diocese of Madison.)

Bishop Robert Morlino of Madison, Wisconsin, died Saturday evening at the age of 71, after suffering what the diocese called “a cardiac event” the day before Thanksgiving.

On Friday, a message on the diocese’s Facebook page announced that Morlino had been undergoing “planned medical tests” when the event took place, adding, “Thankfully, he was in precisely the right place for such an event to occur and the healthcare professionals reacted expertly.”

The statement also said the bishop did not want his condition announced until after Thanksgiving, so as to not disturb the holiday for the faithful.

However, on Saturday, vicar general Msgr. James Bartylla issued a statement saying that although Friday morning “held a number of good reasons for hope for the recovery of the bishop, today has been filled with a number of disappointments in that regard.”

He said “our hope lays in a miracle at this point.”

The diocese was holding an all-night prayer vigil for Morlino when the announcement of his death was made. The people were then asked to stay and pray for the repose of his soul.

[…]

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 am

wosbald wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:56 am
+JMJ+

Bishop Robert Morlino of Madison dies three days after ‘cardiac event’
Bishop Robert Morlino. (Credit: Diocese of Madison.)

Bishop Robert Morlino of Madison, Wisconsin, died Saturday evening at the age of 71, after suffering what the diocese called “a cardiac event” the day before Thanksgiving.

On Friday, a message on the diocese’s Facebook page announced that Morlino had been undergoing “planned medical tests” when the event took place, adding, “Thankfully, he was in precisely the right place for such an event to occur and the healthcare professionals reacted expertly.”

The statement also said the bishop did not want his condition announced until after Thanksgiving, so as to not disturb the holiday for the faithful.

However, on Saturday, vicar general Msgr. James Bartylla issued a statement saying that although Friday morning “held a number of good reasons for hope for the recovery of the bishop, today has been filled with a number of disappointments in that regard.”

He said “our hope lays in a miracle at this point.”

The diocese was holding an all-night prayer vigil for Morlino when the announcement of his death was made. The people were then asked to stay and pray for the repose of his soul.

[…]
:signofcross:
DL Jake

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:51 am

+JMJ+

Pope at Mass: how do we want to meet the Lord?
Pope Francis celebrates Mass at Casa Santa Marta (Vatican Media)

Pope Francis says in his homily at Casa Santa Marta that it is wise to make an examination of conscience regarding how we want to present ourselves before the Lord when it is our time to meet him.

Pope Francis’ homily at Casa Santa Marta on Tuesday took its inspiration from the reading from the Book of Revelation. It is wise to make an examination of conscience, he said, in view of the fact that we will one day face the Lord. We should ask how we wish to present ourselves when we meet Him, he said. It will help us make progress so that that meeting will be a “joyful” moment.

The final harvest

In the last week of the liturgical year, Pope Francis said that it is a grace to think about the end of the world and the end of our lives. The First Reading from the Book of Revelation speaks about that using “the figure of the harvest”, the Pope said.
At the harvest, each of us will meet the Lord … each will say to the Lord: ‘This is my life … This is the quality of my life.’
All of us will have to admit our errors, because everyone errs, and the good done, because everyone does good, the Pope said.

How do I want to present myself?

“What if the Lord were to call me today?” Pope Francis asked. What would I say and do? This thought, he said, helps us make progress. Not only will we meet the Lord in order to give an account of ourselves. It will also be a joyous, happy moment, one filled with mercy.
Thinking about the end, about the end of the world, about the end of one’s own life, is wise. Wise people do this.
The Church invites us to ask ourselves this week, “what will my end be like?” Pope Francis suggested an examination of conscience is useful in order to evaluate ourselves.
What would I like to fix because it doesn’t work? What would I like to sustain or develop because it’s good … .

Let’s ask for wisdom

This is the Spirit’s work, Pope Francis said. In conclusion, he encouraged that we pray for the gift of wisdom.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:01 am

+JMJ+

Expert says human rights created ‘iron shield’ shared by Catholic Church [In-Depth]
[(Credit: Photo courtesy to Crux)

UNITED NATIONS — Seventy years after the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, former U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See Mary Ann Glendon says it’s a reminder that “a few good men and women at crucial moments in history can and do make a difference.”

At a panel discussion sponsored by the Holy See Mission at the United Nations and Alliance Defending Freedom at the United Nations on Tuesday, Glendon was joined by legal scholars, historians, and activists to survey the ways in which the landmark document, which enumerates 30 fundamental human rights, has served as the backbone for the international community.

[…]

Glendon, whose 2001 book, A World Made New: Eleanor Roosevelt and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, widely considered one of the definitive histories of the document, recalled the uphill battle smaller nations faced when trying to convince major powers of the need to embrace human rights.

While many scholars were skeptical that the declaration would have any real teeth, given that at the time there were no instruments for enforcement, Glendon argued that “it successfully challenged the view that sovereignty provided an iron shield behind which states could mistreat their people without outside scrutiny,” and said that alone was an achievement of “historical proportion.”

Such a triumph, she maintained, was made possible because the founders were not “starry-eyed idealists,” but took great caution to produce an integrated document with interdependent rights.

She warned, however, that in many respects the human rights project is a “victim of its own success” and is in crisis today.

[…]

Michael Farris, president and CEO of Alliance Defending Freedom, offered a bleak assessment of the broad state of human rights, while also stating that the United States is currently making progress, particularly on the right to life.

Farris said it was particularly “distressing” that various agencies entrusted with promoting human rights are, in his view, putting them at risk.

“UN Agencies, Special Rapporteurs, various committees, and some UN Member States are doing something dangerous. Perhaps they are trying to advance human rights as they understand them. But what they are doing is putting the entire framework of internationally recognized human rights in jeopardy.”

He specifically identified efforts by the Human Rights Committee to enshrine international rights to abortion and euthanasia under the banner of human rights.

“If we stay our current course, we may soon arrive in a future where human rights are becoming discredited and the entire system of international human rights law is sagging toward collapse,” he warned.

[…]

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 am

Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:17 am

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 am

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 am

wosbald wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:17 am
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Can you give me any details on the painting. I've never seen it and I now really want a copy. Look good in the dining room, I think.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:48 am

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 am
wosbald wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:17 am
hugodrax wrote:
Can you give me any details on the painting. I've never seen it and I now really want a copy. Look good in the dining room, I think.
Juan Patricio Morlete Ruiz

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:31 am

hugodrax wrote:
Back at you, hugodrax!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:31 am
hugodrax wrote:
Back at you, hugodrax!
:D
DL Jake