THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 17458
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 pm

wosbald wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:17 pm
+JMJ+

Archbishop says empty Christian village in Israel a ‘symbol’ [In-Depth]
Image
The village church in Iqrit, Israel. (Credit: Avishai Teicher/Wikimedia Commons [CC BY 2.5])

For 70 years, the Christians of the village of Iqrit in Israel have been trying to return home.

The people of the village were driven from their homes in the 1948 Israeli-Arab war, and now the only permanent building is their parish church.

Unlike hundreds of other Arab villages in Israel depopulated in the conflict, the area of Iqrit has not been re-inhabited by Israeli Jewish settlers. In fact, in 1951, Israel’s Supreme Court said the villagers had the right to return to their homes.

Yet the same year — on Christmas Day no less — the Israeli army demolished all of the homes in the town.

But still, the villagers, most of whom live less then 30 minutes away in surrounding towns, can only visit their home for religious services at the church.

Nemi Ashkar, chairman of Iqrit Community Association, told Crux he has met with various government officials, most of whom seem sympathetic to the villagers’ plight.

“All of them understand the situation, and all of them agree that we have the right to return to Iqrit and to rebuild Iqrit,” he said. “And all of them also say the answers and the decision and the determination in this case is only by the prime minister’s office.”

Unfortunately, Ashkar added, Iqrit is not on the prime minister’s agenda.

On Tuesday, the village was on the agenda of the Holy Land Coordination, an international group of bishops that visits the region each year in an act of solidarity with the local Christian population.

[…]

This year, the focus of the pilgrimage is on Christians in Israel.

“We have concentrated in the past on the West Bank and of course in Gaza,” said South African Archbishop Stephen Brislin of Cape Town.

He told Crux that Christians in Israel told him they often felt “neglected and abandoned” by the universal Church.

There are nearly 170,000 Christians in Israel, the vast majority of whom are Arab. For Catholics, their minority status is amplified: As Arabs, they are a minority among other Israeli citizens; and as Christians, they are a minority among the mostly-Muslim Arabs.

“They are in a very tenuous and quite a vulnerable situation,” Brislin said.

[…]

Ashkar told Crux they continue to lobby the Israeli government, as well as work through the Israeli courts.

Some might question why the people of Iqrit continue their decades-long quest: After all most of the original villagers have died, and their descendants are now living in nearby villages with families of their own.

But Ashkar said only Iqrit is home.

“Why do we still insist we return? Because families, our fathers and our grandfather are buried here. If you have a grave in the field, you cannot leave it,” he said.

“Iqrit still lives in the heart of everyone from the community. All of our spiritual events — weddings, prayers, Christmas events, Easter events — we are praying in our church in Iqrit. When someone dies, we bury them in Iqrit. The only way we can return to our land is in our coffin,” he continued.

“It is part of us, and the place is empty waiting for us,” Ashkar said.
Perhaps they can dialogue about their mutual love of the Father?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19526
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am

+JMJ+

Liberal Catholics have work to do to support consistent ethic of life [In-Depth, Opinion]
Image
Pro-life advocates gather near the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington Jan. 19, 2018. (CNS/Tyler Orsburn)

Today, tens of thousands of people, mostly Catholics, will participate in the annual March for Life in Washington, D.C. There will be a contingent from Democrats for Life but most of the marchers, and all of the speakers, will be conservative Republicans.

It is deeply regrettable, and utterly counter-productive, that the U.S. bishops have allowed themselves to become an arm of the Republican Party. Yes, they issue press releases opposing some of the president's policies on immigration, but they only really let loose when the issue is abortion or contraception. By way of example, in the face of a government shutdown over Trump's border wall, the press release, signed by the chairman of the Committee on Migration, Bishop Joe Vásquez, was balanced in tone and content. Compare it with this press release stridently denouncing a court ruling that awarded a temporary injunction against the administration's efforts to expand religious exemptions to the contraception mandate. This latter release was signed by the president of the conference, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo; the chair of the Religious Liberty Committee, Archbishop Joseph Kurtz; and Archbishop Joseph Naumann, chair of the Pro-Life Activities Committee.

Today, however, I would like to focus on the role the Catholic left has played in the sad evolution that has made the pro-life cause so partisan. In short, the Catholic left has cared less about its own integrity and more about strengthening ties with Democrats on other issues. Sloppy moral reasoning has employed narrow factoids and slim, exceptional cases to promote indifference on the issue. A libertarianism of the left on social issues has become as pronounced, and as pernicious, as the libertarianism of the right on economic issues. Both are unworthy of Catholics.

[…]

Liberals claim that they speak for the voiceless, but how can anyone believe there is moral consistency when their voices are silent in defense of the unborn? We defend the undocumented. We defend the unemployed. We defend all those who are defined in our society by what they lack, all those "un's," but not the unborn? How is that morally consistent?

Liberals excoriate those who deny the science about climate change, and appropriately so. We insist, rightly, that science yields important knowledge that must be respected as such, and not subjected to ideological censors. We value education, believing that ignorance is a curse akin to a plague, and in a democracy, a lethal curse. Yet, strangely, liberals seem unable to discuss what happens in a surgical abortion. They surround the procedure in euphemisms. Yet no one can truthfully deny that abortion is a violent act, gruesome even. On this issue, and this issue only, liberals are encouraged to turn away from the reality of the thing itself.

Liberal Catholics love Pope Francis, but he has not been shy about denouncing abortion. He sees it, rightly, as part and parcel of the throwaway culture that is generally indifferent to both human life and the life of the planet in its pursuit of a lifestyle of ease for those rich enough to afford it.

I hear complaints that the Catholic Church has been so obsessed about abortion that people do not want to speak about it for fear of keeping the obsession going. But the consistent ethic of life was meant to prevent any obsession and, if followed, would achieve that end. It was not meant as a gateway to indifference on the issue of abortion. Just as it never made much sense to oppose abortion but support capital punishment, it doesn't make much sense to oppose capital punishment but keep quiet about abortion.

[…]

I am glad Speaker Nancy Pelosi is being stiff-necked about the border wall, but why not be bit stiff-necked about the unborn? Pelosi did have the good sense to stare down abortion rights activists who seek to impose a litmus test on all Democrats, but that is a pretty low bar. Certainly, any pro-life Democrat risks being outspent by abortion rights groups like Emily's List and NARAL Pro-Choice America.

[…]
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19526
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:01 pm

+JMJ+

Diocese investigates after students mock Native American
Image
A student of Covington Catholic High School stands next to an elderly Native American who was singing and playing a drum. (Credit: Twitter)

A diocese in Kentucky is looking into videos that show youths, possibly from the diocese’s all-male high school, mocking Native Americans at a rally in Washington.

Laura Keener of the Catholic Diocese of Covington said Saturday it regrets the incident.

In a joint statement issued later in the day, the Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High said they “condemn the actions of Covington Catholic High School students.”

“This behavior is opposed to the Church’s teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person. The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion. We know this incident also has tainted the entire witness of the March for Life and express our most sincere apologies to all those who attended the March and all those who support the pro-life movement,” the statement continued.

The Indigenous Peoples March in Washington on Friday coincided with the March for Life, which drew thousands of pro-life demonstrators.

Videos circulating online show a youth standing extremely close to an elderly Native American who was singing and playing a drum. Other youths, some wearing clothing with Covington logos, surrounded them, laughing and shouting. Many of the youths were also wearing “Make America Great Again” hats.

An online news platform called “Indian Country Today” identified the elderly man as Nathan Phillips, an Omaha elder and Vietnam veteran who holds an annual ceremony honoring Native American veterans at the Arlington National Cemetery.

[…]
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6331
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm

A lovely story.

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine/ar ... the-faith/
Keeping the Faith
Kate Nelson

Image

Above: Father Jim Walker talks to visitor about the church's history.

THE MORNING SUN HAS YET TO WARM the sandstone bluffs, hoodoos, and rockslides of the San Juan River canyon and the twisting road that leads to a lonely little chapel. The building is hard to miss, set so high on a chewed-up hill. I aimed to arrive first on this important day, but woodsmoke already chugs from the church’s chimney, and a pickup truck sits out front. The December chill hastens my stride toward the white-plastered adobe walls. Inside, a sole parishioner faces the altar, silently praying. I feel an awkwardness envelop me, the visiting stranger, a non-Catholic in a locals’ shrine. The woman praying, I know, is Susan Archuleta, mayordomo of this church, Our Lady of Guadalupe, a mile west of Navajo Dam in New Mexico’s northwestern corner. I also know she has work to do.

... In the 1960s and ’70s, after the lake’s construction, the church held a fisherman’s Mass each Sunday during the summer. Fly-fishing rods would lean against the chapel’s back wall as prayers were spoken—for the souls of men and for a bounty of trout.
One correction needed from my perspective - I remember bringing some wonderful clients from Pittsburgh to the church for fisherman’s mass well into the 80s.
Last edited by durangopipe on Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 17458
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:30 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm
A lovely story.

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine/ar ... the-faith/
Keeping the Faith
Kate Nelson

Image

Above: Father Jim Walker talks to visitor about the church's history.

THE MORNING SUN HAS YET TO WARM the sandstone bluffs, hoodoos, and rockslides of the San Juan River canyon and the twisting road that leads to a lonely little chapel. The building is hard to miss, set so high on a chewed-up hill. I aimed to arrive first on this important day, but woodsmoke already chugs from the church’s chimney, and a pickup truck sits out front. The December chill hastens my stride toward the white-plastered adobe walls. Inside, a sole parishioner faces the altar, silently praying. I feel an awkwardness envelop me, the visiting stranger, a non-Catholic in a locals’ shrine. The woman praying, I know, is Susan Archuleta, mayordomo of this church, Our Lady of Guadalupe, a mile west of Navajo Dam in New Mexico’s northwestern corner. I also know she has work to do.

... In the 1960s and ’70s, after the lake’s construction, the church held a fisherman’s Mass each Sunday during the summer. Fly-fishing rods would lean against the chapel’s back wall as prayers were spoken—for the souls of men and for a bounty of trout.
One correction needed from my perspective - I remember bringing some wonderful clients from Pittsburgh to the church for fishermen’s mass well into the 80s.
Doesn’t sound like the Donohue’s. They travel with a priest.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6331
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:37 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:30 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm
A lovely story.

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine/ar ... the-faith/
Keeping the Faith
Kate Nelson

Image

Above: Father Jim Walker talks to visitor about the church's history.

THE MORNING SUN HAS YET TO WARM the sandstone bluffs, hoodoos, and rockslides of the San Juan River canyon and the twisting road that leads to a lonely little chapel. The building is hard to miss, set so high on a chewed-up hill. I aimed to arrive first on this important day, but woodsmoke already chugs from the church’s chimney, and a pickup truck sits out front. The December chill hastens my stride toward the white-plastered adobe walls. Inside, a sole parishioner faces the altar, silently praying. I feel an awkwardness envelop me, the visiting stranger, a non-Catholic in a locals’ shrine. The woman praying, I know, is Susan Archuleta, mayordomo of this church, Our Lady of Guadalupe, a mile west of Navajo Dam in New Mexico’s northwestern corner. I also know she has work to do.

... In the 1960s and ’70s, after the lake’s construction, the church held a fisherman’s Mass each Sunday during the summer. Fly-fishing rods would lean against the chapel’s back wall as prayers were spoken—for the souls of men and for a bounty of trout.
One correction needed from my perspective - I remember bringing some wonderful clients from Pittsburgh to the church for fishermen’s mass well into the 80s.
Doesn’t sound like the Donohue’s. They travel with a priest.
But they still wanted to attend mass at that little church and leave a nice donation in the plate.

Image
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 17458
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:47 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:37 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:30 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm
A lovely story.

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine/ar ... the-faith/
Keeping the Faith
Kate Nelson

Image

Above: Father Jim Walker talks to visitor about the church's history.

THE MORNING SUN HAS YET TO WARM the sandstone bluffs, hoodoos, and rockslides of the San Juan River canyon and the twisting road that leads to a lonely little chapel. The building is hard to miss, set so high on a chewed-up hill. I aimed to arrive first on this important day, but woodsmoke already chugs from the church’s chimney, and a pickup truck sits out front. The December chill hastens my stride toward the white-plastered adobe walls. Inside, a sole parishioner faces the altar, silently praying. I feel an awkwardness envelop me, the visiting stranger, a non-Catholic in a locals’ shrine. The woman praying, I know, is Susan Archuleta, mayordomo of this church, Our Lady of Guadalupe, a mile west of Navajo Dam in New Mexico’s northwestern corner. I also know she has work to do.

... In the 1960s and ’70s, after the lake’s construction, the church held a fisherman’s Mass each Sunday during the summer. Fly-fishing rods would lean against the chapel’s back wall as prayers were spoken—for the souls of men and for a bounty of trout.
One correction needed from my perspective - I remember bringing some wonderful clients from Pittsburgh to the church for fishermen’s mass well into the 80s.
Doesn’t sound like the Donohue’s. They travel with a priest.
But they still wanted to attend mass at that little church and leave a nice donation in the plate.

Image
Cool that we know some of the same folk. They are good people and figured out what the parable of the Eye of the Needle meant...kneel. Fun loving clan, too.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply