THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 pm

wosbald wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:17 pm
+JMJ+

Archbishop says empty Christian village in Israel a ‘symbol’ [In-Depth]
The village church in Iqrit, Israel. (Credit: Avishai Teicher/Wikimedia Commons [CC BY 2.5])

For 70 years, the Christians of the village of Iqrit in Israel have been trying to return home.

The people of the village were driven from their homes in the 1948 Israeli-Arab war, and now the only permanent building is their parish church.

Unlike hundreds of other Arab villages in Israel depopulated in the conflict, the area of Iqrit has not been re-inhabited by Israeli Jewish settlers. In fact, in 1951, Israel’s Supreme Court said the villagers had the right to return to their homes.

Yet the same year — on Christmas Day no less — the Israeli army demolished all of the homes in the town.

But still, the villagers, most of whom live less then 30 minutes away in surrounding towns, can only visit their home for religious services at the church.

Nemi Ashkar, chairman of Iqrit Community Association, told Crux he has met with various government officials, most of whom seem sympathetic to the villagers’ plight.

“All of them understand the situation, and all of them agree that we have the right to return to Iqrit and to rebuild Iqrit,” he said. “And all of them also say the answers and the decision and the determination in this case is only by the prime minister’s office.”

Unfortunately, Ashkar added, Iqrit is not on the prime minister’s agenda.

On Tuesday, the village was on the agenda of the Holy Land Coordination, an international group of bishops that visits the region each year in an act of solidarity with the local Christian population.

[…]

This year, the focus of the pilgrimage is on Christians in Israel.

“We have concentrated in the past on the West Bank and of course in Gaza,” said South African Archbishop Stephen Brislin of Cape Town.

He told Crux that Christians in Israel told him they often felt “neglected and abandoned” by the universal Church.

There are nearly 170,000 Christians in Israel, the vast majority of whom are Arab. For Catholics, their minority status is amplified: As Arabs, they are a minority among other Israeli citizens; and as Christians, they are a minority among the mostly-Muslim Arabs.

“They are in a very tenuous and quite a vulnerable situation,” Brislin said.

[…]

Ashkar told Crux they continue to lobby the Israeli government, as well as work through the Israeli courts.

Some might question why the people of Iqrit continue their decades-long quest: After all most of the original villagers have died, and their descendants are now living in nearby villages with families of their own.

But Ashkar said only Iqrit is home.

“Why do we still insist we return? Because families, our fathers and our grandfather are buried here. If you have a grave in the field, you cannot leave it,” he said.

“Iqrit still lives in the heart of everyone from the community. All of our spiritual events — weddings, prayers, Christmas events, Easter events — we are praying in our church in Iqrit. When someone dies, we bury them in Iqrit. The only way we can return to our land is in our coffin,” he continued.

“It is part of us, and the place is empty waiting for us,” Ashkar said.
Perhaps they can dialogue about their mutual love of the Father?
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am

+JMJ+

Liberal Catholics have work to do to support consistent ethic of life [In-Depth, Opinion]
Pro-life advocates gather near the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington Jan. 19, 2018. (CNS/Tyler Orsburn)

Today, tens of thousands of people, mostly Catholics, will participate in the annual March for Life in Washington, D.C. There will be a contingent from Democrats for Life but most of the marchers, and all of the speakers, will be conservative Republicans.

It is deeply regrettable, and utterly counter-productive, that the U.S. bishops have allowed themselves to become an arm of the Republican Party. Yes, they issue press releases opposing some of the president's policies on immigration, but they only really let loose when the issue is abortion or contraception. By way of example, in the face of a government shutdown over Trump's border wall, the press release, signed by the chairman of the Committee on Migration, Bishop Joe Vásquez, was balanced in tone and content. Compare it with this press release stridently denouncing a court ruling that awarded a temporary injunction against the administration's efforts to expand religious exemptions to the contraception mandate. This latter release was signed by the president of the conference, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo; the chair of the Religious Liberty Committee, Archbishop Joseph Kurtz; and Archbishop Joseph Naumann, chair of the Pro-Life Activities Committee.

Today, however, I would like to focus on the role the Catholic left has played in the sad evolution that has made the pro-life cause so partisan. In short, the Catholic left has cared less about its own integrity and more about strengthening ties with Democrats on other issues. Sloppy moral reasoning has employed narrow factoids and slim, exceptional cases to promote indifference on the issue. A libertarianism of the left on social issues has become as pronounced, and as pernicious, as the libertarianism of the right on economic issues. Both are unworthy of Catholics.

[…]

Liberals claim that they speak for the voiceless, but how can anyone believe there is moral consistency when their voices are silent in defense of the unborn? We defend the undocumented. We defend the unemployed. We defend all those who are defined in our society by what they lack, all those "un's," but not the unborn? How is that morally consistent?

Liberals excoriate those who deny the science about climate change, and appropriately so. We insist, rightly, that science yields important knowledge that must be respected as such, and not subjected to ideological censors. We value education, believing that ignorance is a curse akin to a plague, and in a democracy, a lethal curse. Yet, strangely, liberals seem unable to discuss what happens in a surgical abortion. They surround the procedure in euphemisms. Yet no one can truthfully deny that abortion is a violent act, gruesome even. On this issue, and this issue only, liberals are encouraged to turn away from the reality of the thing itself.

Liberal Catholics love Pope Francis, but he has not been shy about denouncing abortion. He sees it, rightly, as part and parcel of the throwaway culture that is generally indifferent to both human life and the life of the planet in its pursuit of a lifestyle of ease for those rich enough to afford it.

I hear complaints that the Catholic Church has been so obsessed about abortion that people do not want to speak about it for fear of keeping the obsession going. But the consistent ethic of life was meant to prevent any obsession and, if followed, would achieve that end. It was not meant as a gateway to indifference on the issue of abortion. Just as it never made much sense to oppose abortion but support capital punishment, it doesn't make much sense to oppose capital punishment but keep quiet about abortion.

[…]

I am glad Speaker Nancy Pelosi is being stiff-necked about the border wall, but why not be bit stiff-necked about the unborn? Pelosi did have the good sense to stare down abortion rights activists who seek to impose a litmus test on all Democrats, but that is a pretty low bar. Certainly, any pro-life Democrat risks being outspent by abortion rights groups like Emily's List and NARAL Pro-Choice America.

[…]

ImageImage

"For this reason, on June 1, 1951 … we did speak of the right of people to migrate, which right is founded in the very nature of land."
— Pope Pius XII, Exsul Familia Nazarethana

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:01 pm

+JMJ+

Diocese investigates after students mock Native American
A student of Covington Catholic High School stands next to an elderly Native American who was singing and playing a drum. (Credit: Twitter)

A diocese in Kentucky is looking into videos that show youths, possibly from the diocese’s all-male high school, mocking Native Americans at a rally in Washington.

Laura Keener of the Catholic Diocese of Covington said Saturday it regrets the incident.

In a joint statement issued later in the day, the Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High said they “condemn the actions of Covington Catholic High School students.”

“This behavior is opposed to the Church’s teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person. The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion. We know this incident also has tainted the entire witness of the March for Life and express our most sincere apologies to all those who attended the March and all those who support the pro-life movement,” the statement continued.

The Indigenous Peoples March in Washington on Friday coincided with the March for Life, which drew thousands of pro-life demonstrators.

Videos circulating online show a youth standing extremely close to an elderly Native American who was singing and playing a drum. Other youths, some wearing clothing with Covington logos, surrounded them, laughing and shouting. Many of the youths were also wearing “Make America Great Again” hats.

An online news platform called “Indian Country Today” identified the elderly man as Nathan Phillips, an Omaha elder and Vietnam veteran who holds an annual ceremony honoring Native American veterans at the Arlington National Cemetery.

[…]

ImageImage

"For this reason, on June 1, 1951 … we did speak of the right of people to migrate, which right is founded in the very nature of land."

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm

A lovely story.

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine/ar ... the-faith/
Keeping the Faith
Kate Nelson

Above: Father Jim Walker talks to visitor about the church's history.

THE MORNING SUN HAS YET TO WARM the sandstone bluffs, hoodoos, and rockslides of the San Juan River canyon and the twisting road that leads to a lonely little chapel. The building is hard to miss, set so high on a chewed-up hill. I aimed to arrive first on this important day, but woodsmoke already chugs from the church’s chimney, and a pickup truck sits out front. The December chill hastens my stride toward the white-plastered adobe walls. Inside, a sole parishioner faces the altar, silently praying. I feel an awkwardness envelop me, the visiting stranger, a non-Catholic in a locals’ shrine. The woman praying, I know, is Susan Archuleta, mayordomo of this church, Our Lady of Guadalupe, a mile west of Navajo Dam in New Mexico’s northwestern corner. I also know she has work to do.

... In the 1960s and ’70s, after the lake’s construction, the church held a fisherman’s Mass each Sunday during the summer. Fly-fishing rods would lean against the chapel’s back wall as prayers were spoken—for the souls of men and for a bounty of trout.
One correction needed from my perspective - I remember bringing some wonderful clients from Pittsburgh to the church for fisherman’s mass well into the 80s.
Last edited by durangopipe on Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:30 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm
A lovely story.

Keeping the Faith
Kate Nelson

THE MORNING SUN HAS YET TO WARM the sandstone bluffs, hoodoos, and rockslides of the San Juan River canyon and the twisting road that leads to a lonely little chapel. The building is hard to miss, set so high on a chewed-up hill. I aimed to arrive first on this important day, but woodsmoke already chugs from the church’s chimney, and a pickup truck sits out front. The December chill hastens my stride toward the white-plastered adobe walls. Inside, a sole parishioner faces the altar, silently praying. I feel an awkwardness envelop me, the visiting stranger, a non-Catholic in a locals’ shrine. The woman praying, I know, is Susan Archuleta, mayordomo of this church, Our Lady of Guadalupe, a mile west of Navajo Dam in New Mexico’s northwestern corner. I also know she has work to do.

... In the 1960s and ’70s, after the lake’s construction, the church held a fisherman’s Mass each Sunday during the summer. Fly-fishing rods would lean against the chapel’s back wall as prayers were spoken—for the souls of men and for a bounty of trout.
One correction needed from my perspective - I remember bringing some wonderful clients from Pittsburgh to the church for fishermen’s mass well into the 80s.
Doesn’t sound like the Donohue’s. They travel with a priest.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:37 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:30 pm
durangopipe wrote:
A lovely story.

Keeping the Faith
Kate Nelson

One correction needed from my perspective - I remember bringing some wonderful clients from Pittsburgh to the church for fishermen’s mass well into the 80s.
But they still wanted to attend mass at that little church and leave a nice donation in the plate.

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:47 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:37 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:30 pm
durangopipe wrote:
A lovely story.

Keeping the Faith
Kate Nelson

But they still wanted to attend mass at that little church and leave a nice donation in the plate.

Cool that we know some of the same folk. They are good people and figured out what the parable of the Eye of the Needle meant...kneel. Fun loving clan, too.

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Next Sunday I'll be over with the cousins.

That means Fri confession and then Sunday 9am Latin Mass.

I can hardly wait.

Oh. And I found my lost fav single decade rosary before Vigil.

Hi. I'm DLJake and I am a happy Catholic in North Carolina.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:04 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:33 pm
Next Sunday I'll be over with the cousins.

That means Fri confession and then Sunday 9am Latin Mass.

I can hardly wait.

Oh. And I found my lost fav single decade rosary before Vigil.

Hi. I'm DLJake and I am a happy Catholic in North Carolina.
Your happiness makes me happy, boss. You're more of a testimony than you'll ever know.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:16 pm

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackback: #1

Bishop says N.Y. abortion bill is ‘Death Star’ that must not become law [In-Depth]
In this 2015 file photo, Bishop Edward B. Scharfenberger of Albany, N.Y., is seen at the Crypt Church of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington. (Credit: Bob Roller/CNS)

ALBANY, New York — Albany’s Catholic bishop has called on New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo to stop the “Death Star” as he called a bill in the state Legislature to expand current state law on abortion that has the full backing of Cuomo, a Catholic.

“Although in your recent State of the State address you cited your Catholic faith and said we should ‘stand with Pope Francis,’ your advocacy of extreme abortion legislation is completely contrary to the teachings of our pope and our church,” said Bishop Edward B. Scharfenberger.

“Once truth is separated from fiction and people come to realize the impact of the bill, they will be shocked to their core,” he said in an open letter to Cuomo published Jan. 19 on the website of The Evangelist, Albany’s diocesan newspaper. “By that time, however, it may be too late to save the countless lives that will be lost or spare countless women lifelong regret.”

Introduced in the Legislature the week of Jan. 7, the Reproductive Health Act, or RHA, is known as S. 240 in the state Senate and A. 21 in the state Assembly. Cuomo has promised it will pass both houses within the first 30 days of the legislative session.

“The so-called Reproductive Health Act (RHA) will expand abortion under the pretenses of choice and progress, which, in fact, it will do little to enhance,” Scharfenberger said. “At the same time, this legislation threatens to rupture the communion between the Catholic faith and those who support the RHA even while professing to follow the church, something that troubles me greatly as a pastor.”

[…]

In his letter in The Evangelist, Scharfenberger wrote that despite what supporters claim, the Reproductive Health Act “goes far beyond Roe v. Wade in its aggressive extremism.”

He outlined several of its provisions:
  • “Granting nondoctors permission to perform abortions does nothing to advance the security and health of women.”
  • “Condoning coerced or involuntary abortions by repealing criminal sanctions even in cases where a perpetrator seeks to make his partner ‘un-pregnant’ through an act of physical violence does not represent any kind of progress in the choice, safety or health of women.”
  • “Removing protection for an infant accidentally born alive during an abortion is abject cruelty, something most people of conscience would deem inhumane for even a dog or cat.”
  • “Finally, allowing late-term abortions is nothing less than a license to kill a pre-born child at will.”
The bishop told Cuomo: “It is very difficult to understand how you can align yourself with Pope Francis and so vehemently advocate such profoundly destructive legislation.”

Scharfenberger also expressed the concern being voiced by pro-life leaders in the state, that “if abortion is deemed a fundamental right in New York state,” the consequences for the pro-life movement could be dire.

“Will being pro-life one day be a hate crime in the state of New York?” he asked.

[…]

“Giving up on life is no excuse for us as a responsible and compassionate people,” Scharfenberger said. “In so doing, we evade the challenge of accompanying women and the families they are trying to nurture on the long journey. They deserve our courageous and ongoing support in creating conditions under which they will be free to bear and provide for their children.”

Society can and must do better, he said, adding that Pope Francis always reminds all people of faith that their mission is “to support the lives of all, especially the voiceless, the most vulnerable and marginalized.” He said today’s leaders must not “bequeath to our children a culture of death, but together build a more humane society for the lives of all of our fellow citizens.”

“Mr. Cuomo, do not build this Death Star,” Scharfenberger concluded.

ImageImage

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:20 pm

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackback: #1

After initial outrage, claims of racism, clearer details of exchange emerge [In-Depth]
An exchange between Catholic high school students and a Native American tribal leader in Washington Jan. 18 that has become the subject of dispute. (Credit: Survival Media Agency via AP)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — An exchange between Catholic high school students and a Native American tribal leader in Washington Jan. 18 was vilified on social media the following day, but the immediate accusations the students showed racist behavior have been stepped back as more details of the entire situation have emerged.

Many say the incident still needs to be investigated or discussed and others have pointed out that what happened can still provide a teaching moment not just about racism but also about news coverage and social media’s rapid response.

The student most prominent in the footage, junior Nick Sandmann of Covington High School in Kentucky, issued a statement Jan. 20 saying he has “received physical and death threats via social media, as well as hateful insults” based on reaction across social media. He also said he would cooperate in any investigation church leaders plan to undertake.

The group’s chaperones, also criticized on social media, said later the students “were targeted from the get-go.”

[…]

The day after the initial clip of the exchange went viral, extended footage of how the situation unfolded appeared on social media, and the students issued their own statements about it, like Sandmann, who was directly in front of the Native American drummer.

Longer videos shown online reveal that another group at the foot of the Lincoln Memorial included members of the Hebrew Israelites, who also were attending the Indigenous People’s March to share their own beliefs that African-Americans are God’s chosen people and the true Hebrew descendants.

Members of this group, as shown in video footage, taunted the students and some responded back. Phillips, the Native American, walked over to the students and the group, as an intervention, singing and beating a song of prayer.

Sandmann, in a statement, said Phillips “locked eyes with me and approached me, coming within inches of my face.”

“I did not speak to him. I did not make any hand gestures or other aggressive moves. To be honest, I was startled and confused as to why he had approached me. We had already been yelled at by another group of protesters. … I was worried that a situation was getting out of control.”

Sandmann said the group started doing school spirit chants to “counter the hateful things that were being shouted at our group” and they had asked for chaperone permission to do so.

He said he stayed motionless to help diffuse the situation and also prayed silently that it would not get out of hand.

“During the period of the drumming, a member of the protester’s entourage began yelling at a fellow student that we ‘stole our land’ and that we should ‘go back to Europe.’ I heard one of my fellow students begin to respond. I motioned to my classmate and tried to get him to stop engaging with the protester,” an action that can be seen on the video where he motions to the student to stop and points and nods to the tribal leader.

The student said he didn’t understand “why either of the two groups of protesters were engaging with us, or exactly what they were protesting” and that his group was just there to meet a bus, “not become central players in a media spectacle.”

“I was not intentionally making faces at the protester. I did smile at one point because I wanted him to know that I was not going to become angry, intimidated or be provoked into a larger confrontation. I am a faithful Christian and practicing Catholic, and I always try to live up to the ideals my faith teaches me — to remain respectful of others, and to take no action that would lead to conflict or violence,” he added.

The student said he has been called “every name in the book, including a racist” and has received death threats and hateful insults.

“I am mortified that so many people have come to believe something that did not happen — that students from my school were chanting or acting in a racist fashion toward African-Americans or Native Americans. I did not do that, do not have hateful feelings in my heart, and did not witness any of my classmates doing that,” he said. His statement was posted on the CNN website.

[…]

Jesuit Father Jim Martin, an author and editor of America magazine, who was critical of the students’ behavior on Twitter Jan. 19, said in a tweet the following day that he would be “happy to apologize for condemning the actions of the students if it turns out that they were somehow acting as good and moral Christians. The last thing I want is to see Catholic schools and Catholic students held in any disrepute.”

He also tweeted: “We may never know exactly what happened and the various ‘sides’ may continue to disagree and condemn one another. But I hope the truth emerges.”

He said the situation can provide a teachable moment with “important lessons about racism and marginalization, about dialogue and encounter, and about truth and reconciliation, during this coming week, which is, believe it or not, Catholic Schools Week.”

[…]

ImageImage

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 am

Perhaps they should dialogue with the Black Hebrew Israelites over their shared love of the Father.

Or perhaps Catholics should merely chalk a cross over their doors as our fellow Americans vent their hate. That high school is closed today due to threats of violence. Good times.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 am
Perhaps they should dialogue with the Black Hebrew Israelites over their shared love of the Father.

Or perhaps Catholics should merely chalk a cross over their doors as our fellow Americans vent their hate. That high school is closed today due to threats of violence. Good times.
Or what the guy with the drum was doing at a demonstration which native american veteran's groups weren't ostensibly participants?
Incursions into opposition positions by drummers by anarchists are common tactics employed at the Walk for Life in San Francisco, btw.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:37 am

+JMJ+

Bishops express unity with Israeli Christians, call for their inclusion
Bishop William Nolan of Galloway, Scotland, delivers the homily during Mass in St. Jerome's Cave in the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, West Bank. The Mass was part of this year's Jan. 12-17 Holy Land Coordination, which focused on the challenges and opportunities for Christians in Israel. CNS photo/courtesy Marcin Mazur via catholicnews.org.uk

JERUSALEM — Bishops from North America, Europe and South Africa who joined this year's Holy Land Coordination reiterated their solidarity with all of Israel's Christians and called for their equal inclusion in Israeli society.

"Throughout our visit, we have experienced how there are Israeli citizens from many different backgrounds who coexist and work together for the common good of their society. We recognize that Israel was founded on the stated principles of equality between all its citizens. This urgently needs to become the lived reality," they said in the final statement, issued Jan. 18. "We stand with Israel's Christians and all those challenging discrimination, in support of their call to protect the country's pluralism."

The nation-state law, which was passed as one of Israel's Basic Laws by the Israeli Knesset last July, holds Israel as "the national home of the Jewish people" and states that "the right to exercise national self-determination in the state of Israel is unique to the Jewish people." In addition, it downgrades Arabic from Israel's second official language to one with a "special" status. Though the law will have little short-term effect, opponents are concerned about its long-term impact, which will depend on the character of future Israeli governments and how they choose to implement the law within government policy. Though Israel has already historically defined itself as the Jewish homeland, opponents say by enshrining it into a Basic Law, they have been effectively relegated to second-class citizens.

[…]

In their statement, the bishops also noted the deepening humanitarian crisis facing Palestinians in the West Bank due to cuts in humanitarian funding by the U.S. administration.

"Health care, education and other basic services for refugees are being increasingly threatened, exacerbating the ongoing violations of their fundamental human dignity. This cannot be ignored or tolerated," they said in the statement. "We call upon our own governments to help meet the funding gaps now faced by the U.N. Relief and Works Agency and redouble their efforts toward a diplomatic solution, with two democratic sovereign states of Israel and Palestine existing in peace."

[…]

ImageImage

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:27 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 am

Or what the guy with the drum was doing at a demonstration which native american veteran's groups weren't ostensibly participants?
Incursions into opposition positions by drummers by anarchists are common tactics employed at the Walk for Life in San Francisco, btw.
Apparently, there are "professional provocateurs" in DC all the time, and teenagers wearing MAGA hats are a prime target for some. It's no surprise that cameras were filming before any action started, just hoping that something would happen.

And let's not forget that someone went to the effort to chop/edit some original footage and tweet it out under the caption, "This MAGA loser gleefully bothering a Native American protester at the Indigenous Peoples March."

Some experts are suggesting that this agitprop has the marks of Russian interference.
FAKE NEWS? Twitter Suspends Account That Pushed Viral Video Of Covington Kids Over 'Suspicious' Activity
“This is the new landscape: where bad actors monitor us and appropriate content that fits their needs. They know how to get it where they need to go so it amplifies naturally. And at this point, we are all conditioned to react and engage or deny in specific ways. And we all did," the "information warfare researcher" added in an interview.

CNN and other outlets were reticent to tie the operation to Russia, though the plan is oddly similar to those deployed during the 2016 presidential election and earlier during racial conflicts in Ferguson, Missouri.

The plan appears to have worked: although the video first went viral on social media, compelling users to weigh in on what they believed they were seeing transpire between the students and the Native American protesters, it quickly took off from there. News outlets, eager for a story that fit a prescribed agenda, quickly fanned the flames, helped by protester Nathan Phillips, who eagerly responded to every request for an interview.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:21 pm

We all know the saying, "Even a stopped clock is right, twice a day."

Yet it is surprising and rare to enjoy a chance encounter with said clock -- and then to discover that it really does happen to be correct at this time.

That is how I felt, reading this article by Michael Sean Winters.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:39 pm

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackback: #1 / #2

CovCath students to meet with President Trump after shutdown, according to report
GF Default — Video from the Indigenous Peoples March

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) — Students from Covington Catholic High School seen in several videos during an incident with Native American elder Nathan Phillips will be meeting with President Donald Trump, Fox News’ Laura Ingraham said on Tuesday.

Ingraham first reported they could meet with Trump as early as Wednesday, but later stated any meeting would happen after the government shutdown.

She made the announcement on Twitter Tuesday afternoon.

[…]

[…]

Neither Trump [n]or the White House have confirmed the meeting.

ImageImage

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:28 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:39 pm
+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackback: #1 / #2

CovCath students to meet with President Trump after shutdown, according to report
GF Default — Video from the Indigenous Peoples March

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) — Students from Covington Catholic High School seen in several videos during an incident with Native American elder Nathan Phillips will be meeting with President Donald Trump, Fox News’ Laura Ingraham said on Tuesday.

Ingraham first reported they could meet with Trump as early as Wednesday, but later stated any meeting would happen after the government shutdown.

She made the announcement on Twitter Tuesday afternoon.

[…]

[…]

Neither Trump [n]or the White House have confirmed the meeting.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/42522/br ... nk-berrien]Covington Kids Going To The White House

Trump is trolling the media again.... but the fake news media are fighting back:
Framing Trump's support for the students in emphatically racial terms, CNN reported earlier Tuesday morning, "President Donald Trump is publicly siding with the mostly white students of a Kentucky high school who were engaged in a confrontation with a Native American elder that renewed a sensitive national debate about race relations in America."

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:34 pm

A very rare and limited view of DL's snoozing chambre.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:39 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:34 pm

A very rare and limited view of DL's snoozing chambre.
You’re ok, man. Nice reset post. : )