THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:14 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:15 am
Two of my nieces having their First Communion this afternoon! :D
That's awesome. Good for them.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 pm
wosbald wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:10 pm
+JMJ+
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:52 pm
[…]
Then it is a big fat nothingburger after all, since Catholics have already been correctly taught the meaning of the Our Father in infancy and the theologians are just playing Mister Obvious?
Seems to me you can thank Lifesite & Pals for it being made a somethingburger.
How so? The words change but the intended meaning remains constant---I suppose it would satisfy the lawyers.
From the people who brought you "World without end" and "And also with you."
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:17 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:54 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 pm
wosbald wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:10 pm
+JMJ+
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:52 pm
[…]
Then it is a big fat nothingburger after all, since Catholics have already been correctly taught the meaning of the Our Father in infancy and the theologians are just playing Mister Obvious?
Seems to me you can thank Lifesite & Pals for it being made a somethingburger.
How so? The words change but the intended meaning remains constant---I suppose it would satisfy the lawyers.
From the people who brought you "World without end" and "And also with you."
Great. Now you know who is going to come in here and sh!t all over us for not wanting to have the Pope's baby once we can get womb transplants. Thanks, Del. :)

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 pm

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:14 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:15 am
Two of my nieces having their First Communion this afternoon! :D
That's awesome. Good for them.
:dance:

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

CodeMonkey
Beeblebrox's Second Head
Beeblebrox's Second Head

Post by CodeMonkey » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:20 pm

Questions for my Catholic friends about confession. My questions are sincere and for reason of understanding your beliefs. I am not mocking or wanting to start an argument.

Can you attend confession at any Catholic church or just the one you attend? For example if you were on vacation in Europe for an extended period of time could you go to a Catholic priest in Europe for confession. Does confession have to take place at a church or can it happen anywhere? Does it have to happen in person? If for some reason you couldn’t make it to the church could you call your priest and confess? If a priest was retired, could he still hear your confession?
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:41 am

Any Catholic Church, anywhere.
You don't even need a church building---any Catholic priest---if they want to--- can hear confession anywhere.
I've had retired priests hear my confession so I'd suggest that as long as a priest possesses his faculties there shouldn't be an issue.
Confession over the phone, mail, radio, bull horn or internet, AFAIK, isn't kosher :D
Last edited by Hovannes on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:51 am

deleted. double post.
what I deserve for trying to post before my first cup :coffee:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

CodeMonkey
Beeblebrox's Second Head
Beeblebrox's Second Head

Post by CodeMonkey » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:49 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:41 am
You don't even need a church building---any Catholic priest---if they want to--- can hear confession anywhere.
I've had retired priests hear my confession so I'd suggest that as long as a priest possesses his faculties there shouldn't be an issue.
Confession over the phone, mail, radio, bull horn or internet, AFAIK, isn't kosher :D
Thanks for the answer. When I mentioned phone, I was thinking more of a situation where your life was in imminent danger of ending.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:49 am
Hovannes wrote:
Thanks for the answer. When I mentioned phone, I was thinking more of a situation where your life was in imminent danger of ending.
And that's why we pray for a good death and the opportunity to be accompanied by a priest at the hour of death. Unconfessed mortal sins travel with us, sir. I'll do a little digging tonight and see if I can't PM you with some links that would answer your questions better than I ever could.

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Bullhorn works.

St. Damien of Molokai was serving as a missionary priest to a leper colony in Hawaii. When his bishop came to visit, the sailors would not let him leave the ship to be contaminated by disease. Having no other priests daring to visit the colony, Father Damien had to shout his confession of sins across the water to the bishop aboard the boat.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:21 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Bullhorn works.

St. Damien of Molokai was serving as a missionary priest to a leper colony in Hawaii. When his bishop came to visit, the sailors would not let him leave the ship to be contaminated by disease. Having no other priests daring to visit the colony, Father Damien had to shout his confession of sins across the water to the bishop aboard the boat.
Thanks for setting me straight on that point, Del!
This might come in handy some day :D

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:50 am

+JMJ+

Pope to canonize Newman and four others on 13 October
Cardinal Newman

The Vatican announces the date of the canonization of Blessed John Henry Newman along with four others on the third Sunday of October 2019.

At a Consistory of cardinals on Monday, Pope Francis formally approved Blessed John Henry Newman’s canonisation along with that of Sister Mariam Thresia, of Giuseppina Vannini, of Dulce Lopes Pontes and of Margarita Bays.

In February, the Pope signed a decree recognising a second miracle attributed to Blessed John Henry Newman, the inexplicable healing of a woman with a “life-threatening pregnancy”.

Blessed John Henry Newman was one of the most prominent converts to Catholicism from Anglicanism of the 19th century. He was already an esteemed Anglican theologian when he founded the Oxford Movement to return the Church of England to its Catholic roots, before himself converting to the Catholic faith. He was renowned as a brilliant thinker and was made a cardinal by Pope Leo XIII. He died in Birmingham in 1890, aged 89, after founding the Birmingham Oratory.

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:35 pm

I think I want to go see this guy speak in Nov when he comes to the Segerstrom Center.

Father Greg Boyle speaks on kinship.

“For Jesus, it wasn’t about taking the right stand on issues. It was about standing in the right place,” he said. The place to stand is with the marginalized. “You go to the margins, and you brace yourself because people will accuse you of wasting your time. You don’t go to the margins to make a difference. You go to the margins because you want those voices to be heard.”

I have been very angry at my brother-in-law the last few weeks. He’s back in prison for a while. I kept trying to help him out and lift him up. His Dad, my father-in-law, wasn’t there for him, but the gang was there to try and take the place of a father. I tried to be a big brother to him. I even got him to join the Marines, which was very good for him, but he just can’t seem to stay out of trouble. On one hand he tries so hard and on the other, fails so hard. He cost me a lot of money over the last couple of years as I tried to pay him to help me with some stuff. I have little to show for it. I need encouragement with this man who I still see as a little brother. I need to visit him in prison without losing my cool with him. Lord have mercy on me.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:57 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:35 pm
I think I want to go see this guy speak in Nov when he comes to the Segerstrom Center.

Father Greg Boyle speaks on kinship.

“For Jesus, it wasn’t about taking the right stand on issues. It was about standing in the right place,” he said. The place to stand is with the marginalized. “You go to the margins, and you brace yourself because people will accuse you of wasting your time. You don’t go to the margins to make a difference. You go to the margins because you want those voices to be heard.”

I have been very angry at my brother-in-law the last few weeks. He’s back in prison for a while. I kept trying to help him out and lift him up. His Dad, my father-in-law, wasn’t there for him, but the gang was there to try and take the place of a father. I tried to be a big brother to him. I even got him to join the Marines, which was very good for him, but he just can’t seem to stay out of trouble. On one hand he tries so hard and on the other, fails so hard. He cost me a lot of money over the last couple of years as I tried to pay him to help me with some stuff. I have little to show for it. I need encouragement with this man who I still see as a little brother. I need to visit him in prison without losing my cool with him. Lord have mercy on me.
praying.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:54 am

Do you have a Sick call set?
Or is it unlikely that there is a priest who might make a death bed visit?

I thought the priest making a sick call would bring his own kit, but apparently these sets used to be kept in the home
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2019/07/sick-call-sets-and-you/

I happen to have parts of one, which I thought was left by my Great uncle, a priest, but maybe not.
I saved it because the joinery is beautifully executed (Black Walnut wood) and after reading the above blog I'm thinking I should re-stock it just in case.

I should ask a priest what exactly it needs and where to obtain the items, but priests with the time are hard to find around here.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:36 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:50 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:36 am
+JMJ+

Of course. But he ain't a %fracking Jesuit. :lol:

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:43 am

+JMJ+

El Paso Catholic Diocese, Hope Border Institute set up fund to aid Juárez shelters
A young migrant from Guatemala watches anxiously as dinner is cooked at El Buen Pastor migrant shelter in Juárez. (Photo: Mark Lambie / El Paso Times)

Shelters in Juárez aiding migrants will get a boost with a newly established Border Refugee Assistance Fund.

El Paso Catholic Diocese Bishop Mark J. Seitz and Dylan Corbett, executive director of the Hope Border Institute, announced the establishment of the fund Monday. The emergency fund is starting with $10,000 in seed money donated in private.

"A lot of these shelters are pop up shelters. When they opened their doors, they didn't know how long they would be helping people. Some like Casa de Imigrante have fixed costs because of utilities, so there is a lot of effort to sustain them," Corbett said.

Thousands of migrants, mostly from Central America, are currently stranded in Juárez, as a result of being returned under the Remain in Mexico program.

Leaders said the grants will help support the shelters in providing immediate humanitarian need. The majority of the shelters and initiatives are organized by faith communities.

"The need in Juárez is tremendous. Churches and community-led initiatives there are doing everything possible to feed, clothe and offer shelter to thousands of migrant families fleeing desperate conditions and looking for safety and refuge. Here we have a real opportunity to serve Christ in the migrant," Seitz said in an email.

Corbett said many people in the area and across the country have asked how they can help at the border and the fund is a concrete way to make a difference in the migrants' lives.

People who want to donate can go to the El Paso Catholic Diocese website.

[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:26 am

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 119 / pg 120 / pg 129

Chesterton sainthood cause will not advance, Bishop Doyle says
GK Chesterton (Public Domain}

Denver, Colo., Aug 2, 2019 / 03:15 pm (CNA) — A cause for the canonization of the pipe-smoking, plain-talking, mustachioed and beloved Catholic author Gilbert Keith (GK) Chesterton will not be opened, announced Bishop Peter Doyle of Northampton, the late Chesterton's home diocese.

Despite Chesterton’s inspirational writings and his role in the Catholic revival in England during the early 20th century, several obstacles stand in the way of advancing the author’s cause for canonization, Doyle said in a letter read to the opening session of the American GK Chesterton Society conference.

The three concerns cited by Doyle are that Chesterton lacks a “cult” of local devotion, the lack of a “pattern of personal spirituality” that could be discerned through his writing, and charges of anti-Semitism in his writing.

“I am very conscious of the devotion to GK Chesterton in many parts of the world and of his inspiring influence on so many people, and this makes it difficult to communicate the conclusion to which I have come,” the bishop said, according to the Catholic Herald in the U.K.

Chesterton was born in 1874, and became a prolific writer and staunch Catholic apologist after his conversion to the faith. He is renowned for writing apologetic classics such as Orthodoxy and The Everlasting Man, as well as for his fictional Father Brown series, among many other works. He died in 1936.

Doyle praised “Chesterton’s goodness and his ability to evangelize” but said he could not open the cause at this time.

“... I am unable to promote the cause of GK Chesterton for three reasons. Firstly, and most importantly, there is no local cult. Secondly, I have been unable to tease out a pattern of personal spirituality. And, thirdly, even allowing for the context of G K Chesterton’s time, the issue of anti-Semitism is a real obstacle particularly at this time in the United Kingdom,” he said in the letter.

[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:23 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco