THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:32 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:28 pm
+JMJ+
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:48 pm
The NBA, the Rockets, Pope Francis, Hong Kong and China.
What does the future hold?
Cuss and discuss.
I'm curious :confused:
You mean a return to the underground church? Or the NBA selling out to the PRC?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:19 pm

+JMJ+

Cardinal Newman a saint for the modern age, expert says
The original tomb in Rednal where Cardinal Newman was buried. (Credit: Photo courtesy of the Catholic Church of England and Wales)

NEW YORK — Cardinal John Henry Newman lived half of his life as an Anglican before converting to Catholicism. This Sunday, leaders of both congregations will be present in Rome to celebrate his much-anticipated canonization by Pope Francis.

In an interview with Crux, Jack Valero, the press and media coordinator of the Newman Canonization Committee, outlines why he believe Newman offers a model for Catholics trying to engage in public life and why this giant of the 19th century has just as much relevance for today’s Catholics.

Crux: Newman was a giant of the 19th century. What does he offer to 21st century Catholics in your view?

Valero: Newman is a very modern saint. He lived in the 19th century, the age of rationalism, the age of Darwin and Marx — an age he understood deeply. His writings help people to have faith at a time when it is difficult to believe in God, such as now.

His book The Idea of a University continues to be a reference work for tertiary educational institutions, and his vision that education had to be for its own sake and not as a technical preparation for a specific profession or job is still being discussed in academic circles. But Newman was also eminently practical. He not only spoke and wrote about universities: he started one himself [Catholic University Ireland (1854) — the precursor to the University college Dublin] and after that started a secondary school. Both remain to this day.

[…]

Nowadays Newman has a following among all kinds of Catholics, including some who are more conservative and some who consider themselves progressive. In an age of great polarization, including within the Church, Newman can be a unifying figure who can speak effectively to different Catholic sensibilities and bring them all closer to God.

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:19 pm

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:42 am

wosbald wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:19 pm
+JMJ+

MSW should avoid using the pronoun "we."

Unless he has a tapeworm.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:50 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Red129er
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Red129er » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 am
+JMJ+

I'm a Michigander and I had no idea this was here. I don't often go north of Big Rapids, but I guess I assumed something like this would at least be well known by the populous generally. My ignorance is cured. :prayin:

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:01 am

+JMJ+

Border bishops to honor fallen migrants with Mass on the Rio Grande

Catholics call for end to 'death and discrimination' faced by those coming to the United States

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) ⁠— The bishops of the region’s four Catholic dioceses are preparing to honor migrants who’ve died on the way to their destination with a Mass on Nov. 2 at the Rio Grande.

The 21st annual Border Mass will take place at 9 a.m. in the vicinity of an old railroad structure known as the Black Bridge near the Paso del Norte port of entry in South El Paso.

“The fundamental purpose of the Mass is to express our solidarity with migrants and refugees, particularly those who lost their life in deserts and remote areas,” said Marco Raposo, director of the Peace and Justice Ministry at the Catholic Diocese of El Paso.

[…]

The Border Mass that typically draws between 500 and 800 residents from both sides of the border used to take place along a fence that separated the Anapra neighborhood of Juárez, Mexico and Sunland Park, New Mexico. The bishops decided to move the Mass after the U.S. government replaced the fence with a steel bollard wall.

The Nov. 2 Mass is to take place on the Rio Grande itself or on the concrete embankment, depending on how much water the river carries that day. The entrance on the U.S. side will be on Calleros Street.

The Catholic Diocese of Las Cruces is circulating a letter urging parishioners to attend the event. “We remember that we are all pilgrims in this world, a body of people who are traveling on this earth looking forward to the moment when we can finally rest in the glory of the Kingdom with our Creator,” the letter says. It also cites the U.S. Conference of Bishops statement on how “the new immigrants call most of us back to our ancestral heritage as descendants of immigrants.”

El Paso Bishop Mark J. Seitz will preside over the Mass. Juárez Bishop Jose Guadalupe Torres Campos and Las Cruces Bishop Peter Baldacchino have confirmed their attendance. Bishop Jesus Herrera Quiñonez, whose diocese includes Casas Grandes and the border town of Palomas, Mexico, was also invited.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:53 pm

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:48 pm

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Holy s***, Wosbald, the King of the Mooks says you’re a heretic. You gonna take that, pencil neck?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:41 pm

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:49 pm
Holy s***, Wosbald, the King of the Mooks says you’re a heretic. You gonna take that, pencil neck?
That's the plan.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:46 am

:lol: PM
wosbald wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:41 pm
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:49 pm
That's the plan.
:lol:

Red129er
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Red129er » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:16 am

The pope insisted the wood-carved statues of naked pregnant women, known as Pachamama, were not a symbol of idolatry as conservatives had claimed, but rather were symbols of life, fertility and Mother Earth.
A distinction without a difference, perhaps?

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 am

Red129er wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:16 am
The pope insisted the wood-carved statues of naked pregnant women, known as Pachamama, were not a symbol of idolatry as conservatives had claimed, but rather were symbols of life, fertility and Mother Earth.
Perhaps. I think so, but mostly because of the fruit loops ritually circling it before groveling before it and offering it things.

If they had just shown the statue as an example of indigenous art regarding the miracle of creation, I'd have thought nothing at all of them.

As it is, I think of the Witch Doctor song everytime I see the Pachamama. "Oo, ee, ooh, ah-ah, ting tang monk gonna bend down, oo, ee, ooh, ah-ah, no way that's gonna be me!"

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:14 am

When will the traveling pachamamas start being passed from diocese to diocese?
They're sure perky lil' things!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:23 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:14 am
When will the traveling pachamamas start being passed from diocese to diocese?
They're sure perky lil' things!
Oh, they'll be in tons of churches before you know it. Travelling ones, ones purchased for display purposes. Good times.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:08 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 am
Red129er wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:16 am
Perhaps. I think so, but mostly because of the fruit loops ritually circling it before groveling before it and offering it things.

If they had just shown the statue as an example of indigenous art regarding the miracle of creation, I'd have thought nothing at all of them.

As it is, I think of the Witch Doctor song everytime I see the Pachamama. "Oo, ee, ooh, ah-ah, ting tang monk gonna bend down, oo, ee, ooh, ah-ah, no way that's gonna be me!"
I am utterly disappointed in the Pope’s reaction to the theft of those statues. I try so hard to give this Pope the benefit of the doubt. So hard. But my brains are falling out.

The Eastern rites have a long list of canon laws about images, veneration and worship. There is no way this would have been allowed in an eastern church. I remember sitting in during parish council meeting in the Orthodox Church where we went into great discussion about adding a few icons to the Nave. Then it would require approval from the bishop.

Surely, the Romans with their inclination for rules would have something similar? Especially when something like this comes up and causes an uproar among the faithful. If I were a pastor I wouldn’t want a person accepting anything they believed was idolatry. Yet the Pope’s explanation was that these statues weren’t “meant” to be idols and they meant to show something akin to idolatry. What the hell kind of teaching is that!? :evil:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:40 pm

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 am
[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco