THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19987
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:38 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:40 pm
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 am
[…]

As it is, I think of the Witch Doctor song everytime I see the Pachamama. "Oo, ee, ooh, ah-ah, ting tang monk gonna bend down, oo, ee, ooh, ah-ah, no way that's gonna be me!"
That's absolutely hilarious!
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26312
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:14 am

They're sure perky lil' things!
Image
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more
Posts: 22695
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:32 am

An explanation of the “Pachamama” origins and how they got to the Vatican.. Or lack thereof. I remain very uneasy about that whole spectacle. This interview also discusses opinions about why the Catholic Church is struggling while the Pentecostals continue to grow.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20945
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:18 pm

+JMJ+


ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19987
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Courtesy a roman friend of mine, take a Look at pg 17: https://cloud.3dissue.com/77366/77720/1 ... .html?r=22

Good stuff. A prayer to pachamama, in an official Italian Bishop's conference book, published in preparation for the synod. They knew she was an idol, and they prayed before her anyway.

On Netflix now, the pachamama children's story from 2018 about an Andean boy who wants to be a Shaman: https://www.google.com/search?q=pachama ... e&ie=UTF-8

Yeah, nobody in Rome knew this was going on. Totally spontaneous. Nothing to see here.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26312
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:45 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:17 pm
Courtesy a roman friend of mine, take a Look at pg 17: https://cloud.3dissue.com/77366/77720/1 ... .html?r=22

Good stuff. A prayer to pachamama, in an official Italian Bishop's conference book, published in preparation for the synod. They knew she was an idol, and they prayed before her anyway.

On Netflix now, the pachamama children's story from 2018 about an Andean boy who wants to be a Shaman: https://www.google.com/search?q=pachama ... e&ie=UTF-8

Yeah, nobody in Rome knew this was going on. Totally spontaneous. Nothing to see here.
It's a good day to suppress Jesuits.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20945
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:15 pm

+JMJ+


ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19987
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:26 am

wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:15 pm
+JMJ+

Such a wonderful thing, I wonder if any Jesuits actually us it? I find it impossible that many do, frankly. No excuse for us not to, however.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39850
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:49 am

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:45 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:17 pm
Courtesy a roman friend of mine, take a Look at pg 17: https://cloud.3dissue.com/77366/77720/1 ... .html?r=22

Good stuff. A prayer to pachamama, in an official Italian Bishop's conference book, published in preparation for the synod. They knew she was an idol, and they prayed before her anyway.

On Netflix now, the pachamama children's story from 2018 about an Andean boy who wants to be a Shaman: https://www.google.com/search?q=pachama ... e&ie=UTF-8

Yeah, nobody in Rome knew this was going on. Totally spontaneous. Nothing to see here.
It's a good day to suppress Jesuits.
A prize-winning clerihew from the recent Chesterton Conference in Kansas City:

Thinking about the conversion of St. Ignatius,
Where a military injury was efficacious,
At the present time I can see
Jesuits who could use a cannonball to the knee.


- by Jeff Miller of Jacksonville, FL
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26312
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am

All Souls, Day of the Dead and Halloween

All revolve around the reality of death, an unsavory topic among PC society.
Cemeteries are like urologists---not really appreciated until you need one.
The whole reason for funerals has been usurped by the secular, sanitized, en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts for snowflake consumption and I'm good with that, although I don't quite understand the need to die before your pals get together to celebrate your life.
I'd rather go drinking with my friends and I wouldn't object if they missed me, especially if I couldn't be there to buy a round for the mob.
That seems far more natural than family getting together to talk about you when you can't at least defend yourself. but like I said, I'm good with that.

So All Souls is the Catholic feast to remember those who died and to contemplate our own mortality, tempest fugit, memento mori as it were.
Take some flowers to the cemetery, it'll do you good.

Halloween should be en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts. A fun-sized serving of (sort of) PC spirituality and a (sort of) acknowledgement that we share our earthly estate with bad things like devils and satanists and x-rated costumes for ladies who like to embarrass themselves at Halloween parties. Perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't scare the kiddies too badly and I get to fill the freezer with Reese's Peanut butter cups.

Day of the Dead, OTOH strikes me as just weird. I get the cultural implications, a splash of All Souls in a bucket of secular party hearty---the persona of the deceased ramped up to rockstar status. Conjuring up the dead is frightful stuff as evil spirits are experts at disguises so Day of the Dead is not Catholic by any means that I can figure, much like san la muerte(or santa muerte if you don't want to be considered sexist) Or Pachamama.

Maybe you've got this figured out better than I?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26312
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:48 pm

Could it be? Smokey Robinson was the Pachamama of the 1980's?
Last edited by Hovannes on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
arank87
Elder
Elder
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by arank87 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:22 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am
All Souls, Day of the Dead and Halloween

All revolve around the reality of death, an unsavory topic among PC society.
Cemeteries are like urologists---not really appreciated until you need one.
The whole reason for funerals has been usurped by the secular, sanitized, en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts for snowflake consumption and I'm good with that, although I don't quite understand the need to die before your pals get together to celebrate your life.
I'd rather go drinking with my friends and I wouldn't object if they missed me, especially if I couldn't be there to buy a round for the mob.
That seems far more natural than family getting together to talk about you when you can't at least defend yourself. but like I said, I'm good with that.

So All Souls is the Catholic feast to remember those who died and to contemplate our own mortality, tempest fugit, memento mori as it were.
Take some flowers to the cemetery, it'll do you good.

Halloween should be en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts. A fun-sized serving of (sort of) PC spirituality and a (sort of) acknowledgement that we share our earthly estate with bad things like devils and satanists and x-rated costumes for ladies who like to embarrass themselves at Halloween parties. Perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't scare the kiddies too badly and I get to fill the freezer with Reese's Peanut butter cups.

Day of the Dead, OTOH strikes me as just weird. I get the cultural implications, a splash of All Souls in a bucket of secular party hearty---the persona of the deceased ramped up to rockstar status. Conjuring up the dead is frightful stuff as evil spirits are experts at disguises so Day of the Dead is not Catholic by any means that I can figure, much like san la muerte(or santa muerte if you don't want to be considered sexist) Or Pachamama.

Maybe you've got this figured out better than I?
Unabashed Lutheran here with an honest question. Is the Day of the Dead a Catholic feast or more of a Mexican cultural tradition? Or am I just totally off?
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19987
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:05 pm

arank87 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:22 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am
All Souls, Day of the Dead and Halloween

All revolve around the reality of death, an unsavory topic among PC society.
Cemeteries are like urologists---not really appreciated until you need one.
The whole reason for funerals has been usurped by the secular, sanitized, en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts for snowflake consumption and I'm good with that, although I don't quite understand the need to die before your pals get together to celebrate your life.
I'd rather go drinking with my friends and I wouldn't object if they missed me, especially if I couldn't be there to buy a round for the mob.
That seems far more natural than family getting together to talk about you when you can't at least defend yourself. but like I said, I'm good with that.

So All Souls is the Catholic feast to remember those who died and to contemplate our own mortality, tempest fugit, memento mori as it were.
Take some flowers to the cemetery, it'll do you good.

Halloween should be en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts. A fun-sized serving of (sort of) PC spirituality and a (sort of) acknowledgement that we share our earthly estate with bad things like devils and satanists and x-rated costumes for ladies who like to embarrass themselves at Halloween parties. Perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't scare the kiddies too badly and I get to fill the freezer with Reese's Peanut butter cups.

Day of the Dead, OTOH strikes me as just weird. I get the cultural implications, a splash of All Souls in a bucket of secular party hearty---the persona of the deceased ramped up to rockstar status. Conjuring up the dead is frightful stuff as evil spirits are experts at disguises so Day of the Dead is not Catholic by any means that I can figure, much like san la muerte(or santa muerte if you don't want to be considered sexist) Or Pachamama.

Maybe you've got this figured out better than I?
Unabashed Lutheran here with an honest question. Is the Day of the Dead a Catholic feast or more of a Mexican cultural tradition? Or am I just totally off?
Well, you're google seems to be broken. :D. its Mexican Aztec and about as Catholic as pachamama.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26312
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:13 pm

arank87 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:22 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am
All Souls, Day of the Dead and Halloween

All revolve around the reality of death, an unsavory topic among PC society.
Cemeteries are like urologists---not really appreciated until you need one.
The whole reason for funerals has been usurped by the secular, sanitized, en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts for snowflake consumption and I'm good with that, although I don't quite understand the need to die before your pals get together to celebrate your life.
I'd rather go drinking with my friends and I wouldn't object if they missed me, especially if I couldn't be there to buy a round for the mob.
That seems far more natural than family getting together to talk about you when you can't at least defend yourself. but like I said, I'm good with that.

So All Souls is the Catholic feast to remember those who died and to contemplate our own mortality, tempest fugit, memento mori as it were.
Take some flowers to the cemetery, it'll do you good.

Halloween should be en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts. A fun-sized serving of (sort of) PC spirituality and a (sort of) acknowledgement that we share our earthly estate with bad things like devils and satanists and x-rated costumes for ladies who like to embarrass themselves at Halloween parties. Perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't scare the kiddies too badly and I get to fill the freezer with Reese's Peanut butter cups.

Day of the Dead, OTOH strikes me as just weird. I get the cultural implications, a splash of All Souls in a bucket of secular party hearty---the persona of the deceased ramped up to rockstar status. Conjuring up the dead is frightful stuff as evil spirits are experts at disguises so Day of the Dead is not Catholic by any means that I can figure, much like san la muerte(or santa muerte if you don't want to be considered sexist) Or Pachamama.

Maybe you've got this figured out better than I?
Unabashed Lutheran here with an honest question. Is the Day of the Dead a Catholic feast or more of a Mexican cultural tradition? Or am I just totally off?
It's only "c"atholic by proximity.
There is no saint Death.
As far as being cultural, it's pretty recent according to my Mexican friends, although there are some claims it's 3,000 years old. The best explanations I've heard is that it's All Saints and All Soul's Days twisted according to pagan sensibilities and not religious (according to celebrants)
In other words, It's a party!
It's also been adopted by a criminal element, excusing murders.
There is no saint Death (did I already say that?)
I mean, if murderers have a patron saint, that's got to be a good thing, right?
Sort of like Pachamama.
Others here may have a better handle on this than I.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20945
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:43 pm

+JMJ+
Hovannes wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:13 pm
[…]

Others here may have a better handle on this than I.
Image

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
arank87
Elder
Elder
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by arank87 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:05 pm
arank87 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:22 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am
All Souls, Day of the Dead and Halloween

All revolve around the reality of death, an unsavory topic among PC society.
Cemeteries are like urologists---not really appreciated until you need one.
The whole reason for funerals has been usurped by the secular, sanitized, en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts for snowflake consumption and I'm good with that, although I don't quite understand the need to die before your pals get together to celebrate your life.
I'd rather go drinking with my friends and I wouldn't object if they missed me, especially if I couldn't be there to buy a round for the mob.
That seems far more natural than family getting together to talk about you when you can't at least defend yourself. but like I said, I'm good with that.

So All Souls is the Catholic feast to remember those who died and to contemplate our own mortality, tempest fugit, memento mori as it were.
Take some flowers to the cemetery, it'll do you good.

Halloween should be en-robed in chocolate and rolled in nuts. A fun-sized serving of (sort of) PC spirituality and a (sort of) acknowledgement that we share our earthly estate with bad things like devils and satanists and x-rated costumes for ladies who like to embarrass themselves at Halloween parties. Perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't scare the kiddies too badly and I get to fill the freezer with Reese's Peanut butter cups.

Day of the Dead, OTOH strikes me as just weird. I get the cultural implications, a splash of All Souls in a bucket of secular party hearty---the persona of the deceased ramped up to rockstar status. Conjuring up the dead is frightful stuff as evil spirits are experts at disguises so Day of the Dead is not Catholic by any means that I can figure, much like san la muerte(or santa muerte if you don't want to be considered sexist) Or Pachamama.

Maybe you've got this figured out better than I?
Unabashed Lutheran here with an honest question. Is the Day of the Dead a Catholic feast or more of a Mexican cultural tradition? Or am I just totally off?
Well, you're google seems to be broken. :D. its Mexican Aztec and about as Catholic as pachamama.
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=day+of+the+dead&s=g
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26312
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:50 am

A Blessed All Saints Day to y'all!
Ushering the 8:15 then off to the cemetery to pray and ready the family plots for All Souls tomorrow.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20945
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:00 am

+JMJ+
Hovannes wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:50 am
A Blessed All Saints Day to y'all!

[…]
Backatcha!

Image

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26312
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:39 pm

And a blessed All Souls Day, while we're at it!
Visiting my ancestors graves reminded me that no male in my family, since the late 1850's, has lived longer than 68 years of age 8O
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
Posts: 5918
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Dark side of the moon

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by CodeMonkey » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:39 pm
And a blessed All Souls Day, while we're at it!
Visiting my ancestors graves reminded me that no male in my family, since the late 1850's, has lived longer than 68 years of age 8O
I'm sure your family wouldn't be upset with you if you broke that tradition.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Post Reply