What was the last movie you saw?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by PipeAndPint » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:44 am

thegreatswalmi wrote:i saw "the sentinel" the other night...about a secret service agent accused of being involved in a plot to kill the president...starring michael douglas and kiefer sutherland. good show...lots of drama and intensity...i enjoyed it.
awfully morbid fare for a pacifist, Mike... ;)
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

isaac
butt, Ben
butt, Ben

Post by isaac » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:46 am

ArtGuy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
isaac wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:you have to admit tho...that brazilian dance fighter (Capoeira ?) was unbelievable!!!!
He was probably my least favorite (in terms of believability)... I really liked when the first giant came out... and then laughed my head off when all 4 came out... and then the one picked up and threw the elephant!! HAHHAHAHAHA!
no way...that guy was great. i like the elephant throwing too...WICKED!!! i also liked the "tower of doom" idea with the night club of 1000000000 floors!
I have to see this film. What is it called again?
The Protector... I considered asking for my money back...

thegreatswalmi
Sandblasted Canadian
Sandblasted Canadian

Post by thegreatswalmi » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:06 am

PipeAndPint wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:i saw "the sentinel" the other night...about a secret service agent accused of being involved in a plot to kill the president...starring michael douglas and kiefer sutherland. good show...lots of drama and intensity...i enjoyed it.
yeah...i guess. maybe i'm inconsistent, maybe this whole thing is a sham, maybe i'm violent, maybe ready to kill!!! no...wait...it's only a movie. thanks for your concern tho.
Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.
-Jack Handey

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:13 am

thegreatswalmi wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
yeah...i guess. maybe i'm inconsistent, maybe this whole thing is a sham, maybe i'm violent, maybe ready to kill!!! no...wait...it's only a movie. thanks for your concern tho.
It's the "Group W" bench for you.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

thegreatswalmi
Sandblasted Canadian
Sandblasted Canadian

Post by thegreatswalmi » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:19 am

John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
i have no idea what you're talking about.
Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.
-Jack Handey

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:29 am

thegreatswalmi wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
Seriously?
Praying - coco

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:45 am

John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
Seriously?
He doesn't eat at Alice's.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

thegreatswalmi
Sandblasted Canadian
Sandblasted Canadian

Post by thegreatswalmi » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:12 am

SandPiper wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
Seriously?
certainly not.
-Jack Handey

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:25 am

thegreatswalmi wrote:
SandPiper wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
Seriously?
certainly not.
I don't see why not. You can get anything you want.
Praying - coco

thegreatswalmi
Sandblasted Canadian
Sandblasted Canadian

Post by thegreatswalmi » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:28 am

John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
SandPiper wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
Seriously?
certainly not.
except alice!
-Jack Handey

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Location: Truth is - I'm a 'REAL Baptist' no matter where I am!!!!!!!

Post by Preacherman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:30 pm

thegreatswalmi wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
SandPiper wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
thegreatswalmi wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
Seriously?
certainly not.
except alice!

That could be a good thing.
"Give a man an open Bible, an open mind, a conscience in good working order, and he will have a hard time to keep from being a Baptist." ATR

PaxPipe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by PaxPipe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:43 pm

curly sue

golfguy
Usher
Usher

Post by golfguy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:17 pm

Bruce almighty big Jim Cary fan
Poverty will make you respect money. Sam Snead

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:38 am

Tonight the wife and I watched Kenneth Brannagh's film of Love's Labours Lost by Wm. Shakespeare. It was set in the 1930s w/ music by Cole Porter, George Gershwin and others of the era. Lot of fun.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:53 am

We have been watching MI-5 from the BBC via Netflix...
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:43 am

Watched "Riverdance" with the kids last nigth. My legs are tired.
Praying - coco

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:15 am

John-Boy wrote:Watched "Riverdance" with the kids last nigth. My legs are tired.
did you watch it from onstage or something?

Jeff
Minister of Lengthy Posts

Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:28 am

I watched Kieslowski's Red from his Three Colors trilogy last night. Excellent film, to say the very least. On first view, I must say that I prefer Blue, but I'd like to see it again and watch it more closely.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:20 am

Jeff wrote:I watched Kieslowski's Red from his Three Colors trilogy last night. Excellent film, to say the very least. On first view, I must say that I prefer Blue, but I'd like to see it again and watch it more closely.
I absolutely love Kieslowski's Three Colours trilogy! Red is perhaps my favorite film of all time (followed very closely by Blue; White is excellent, too, but slightly more comedic, and not quite as amazing). They are fantastic films that reward multiple viewings and my wife and I find ourselves revisiting them about once a year.

It's worth watching them in order (Blue, White, Red), if only because of the added punch it adds to the final event depicted in Red. It is masterful the way the stories interrelate with each other in subtle ways (watch to see if you can catch the ways that events central to one film appear in the background of another, notice the way different characters react differently to the "bottle woman," etc.). The characters are compelling and the atmospheres very evocative and mesmerizing. They're quiet films that work on a surface, aesthetic level, but that also will bear a lot of thought and analysis. Kieslowski was an amazing director, and his unexpected death in the mid-90s was a real loss to the cinematic world.

Have you watched his The Decalogue? It's a series of 10 dramatically diverse, hour-long films he did for Polish TV. They are excellent viewing, also, even if not quite the epic cinematic achievement of Trois Couleurs. (The one for "Thou Shalt Not Kill," later expanded and released as "A Short Film About Killing," will stay with you for years.)

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Dug wrote:
Jeff wrote:I watched Kieslowski's Red from his Three Colors trilogy last night. Excellent film, to say the very least. On first view, I must say that I prefer Blue, but I'd like to see it again and watch it more closely.
I absolutely love Kieslowski's Three Colours trilogy! Red is perhaps my favorite film of all time (followed very closely by Blue; White is excellent, too, but slightly more comedic, and not quite as amazing). They are fantastic films that reward multiple viewings and my wife and I find ourselves revisiting them about once a year.

It's worth watching them in order (Blue, White, Red), if only because of the added punch it adds to the final event depicted in Red. It is masterful the way the stories interrelate with each other in subtle ways (watch to see if you can catch the ways that events central to one film appear in the background of another, notice the way different characters react differently to the "bottle woman," etc.). The characters are compelling and the atmospheres very evocative and mesmerizing. They're quiet films that work on a surface, aesthetic level, but that also will bear a lot of thought and analysis. Kieslowski was an amazing director, and his unexpected death in the mid-90s was a real loss to the cinematic world.

Have you watched his The Decalogue? It's a series of 10 dramatically diverse, hour-long films he did for Polish TV. They are excellent viewing, also, even if not quite the epic cinematic achievement of Trois Couleurs. (The one for "Thou Shalt Not Kill," later expanded and released as "A Short Film About Killing," will stay with you for years.)
Kieslowski is certainly a member of my very short list of outstanding directors. I've screened Blue several times, but last night was my first viewing of Red. White is in the hopper and will hopefully find itself in the player sometime next week. His use of foreshadowing and symbolism in the writing, and lighting, brilliant cinematography, and editing on screen create a world that is at once believable while also maintaining a sort of dream-like distance. While I did find Red to be an excellent film, I found that Blue's masterful depiction of the isolation of internalized guilt to be incredibly moving. Moreover, the grace experienced at the film's close was beautifully captured, yet remained within the realm of reason where a more melodramatic approach would have likely been adopted by an American director.

I was introduced to Kieslowski through the Decalogue series. Although I've only seen the first half, I have had the opportunity to study the first film quite closely and consider it to be one of the single-most spiritually and emotionally powerful movies that I've ever seen. Once introduced to Kieslowski's trademark use of the sounds of silence in that film, I became hooked and have since had difficulty watching American films because they create and perpetuate our unrealistic expectations to be incessantly entertained.

In short, I'm happy to know that there's someone else here who appreciates his work!

:)