What was the last movie you saw?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by AnungUnRama » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:32 am

Since I rarely ever watch a movie in its entirety all at once, I think the last one I finished was Hellboy 2 - The Golden Army
Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:20 am

Watched X-Men: Apocalypse with my son yesterday afternoon. Neither the best nor the worst of the films in the series. I think a lot of the problems the X-Men films have could be solved if instead of trying to cram a gazillion mutant characters into a 2 hour film, they'd just make a long form series with a large budget - a serialized production such as this would lend itself better to a better screen adaptation of the X-Men, as there's been more misses than hits with their films.

Also recently watched the new Tom Hanks film, Greyhound with my wife. She didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did. Not much plot to this 90-minute film, but if WWII naval warfare is your thing then you'll like it.
[Insert pithy quote here]

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 pm

My family has talked me into renting Dolittle. The 2020 remake starring Robert Downey Jr. We’re watching it right now. This is really, really bad.

This is appropriate here:

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:00 pm

The Postcard Murders (2020)

It didn’t suck, but won’t win any awards. Famke is in it, so there’s that. She hasn’t aged badly.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:11 pm

+JMJ+

Becket

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:31 am

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.Great 5 minutes preceded by 2.5 hours of sheer boredom.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

canuck
Congregation
Congregation

Post by canuck » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:10 am

greyhound---tom hanks

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:12 am

Loved it.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:28 am

I re-watched Seabiscuit with my Grand daughter...she hadn't seen it.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:06 am

Always Be My Maybe.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:20 pm

We watched Going In Style. Not bad to watch, but they just didn't pull it off. Some good moments, some humorous moments, some attempts at poignant moments...overall kind of slow. I would say that it might make for a decent remake in a few years, but really it was kind of an undistinguished, trope of a movie with a few good actors in it and the rest were mediocre actors. I doubt if I'll be watching it again.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Toodle Oooh.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Ford Versus Ferrari. I liked it, Judy went to her craft room.

edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:44 pm

Sunset Boulevard. Amazing. Can’t believe I’d never seen it before.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

plainview
Elder
Elder

Post by plainview » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:57 pm

The Spy Who Loved Me

How neat is the Lotus?

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:24 am

The 1978 television film adaptation of Les Miserables starring Richard Jordan & Anthony Perkins. This is my least favorite adaptation of the book. They spent +30 minutes establishing the crimes of Jean Valjean, his capture, trial, incarceration & multiple escape attempts. While interesting, this doesn't take up very much space on the page, and it's summarized quite quickly & in much less time in other adaptations.

It's enough to be told that Valjean is a former convict who spent 19 years in prison after stealing bread for his starving sister & her children - without seeing it all play out. I know that "Show don't tell" is a a frequently encouraged principle of writing, but when you take up that much time in the film to show things that the author was content to tell, and it's already a sprawling epic, then you have that much less screen time to tell the rest of the tale.

And why, in this film did they decide to make the change to the story to say that Valjean successfully escaped from Toulon after 19 years? In the book & in other adaptations he has always been paroled. Unnecessary change that doesn't further the story IMO.

I much prefer the 1998 adaptation starring Liam Neeson & Geoffrey Rush, or the 2012 adaptation starring Hugh Jackman & Russel Crowe.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:48 pm

We rented Rocketman on Amazon Prime tonight. Not the Elton John thing but the disney movie with Harland Williams from 1997. It was a hit with the kiddos. It’s a lot of fun if you’re in the mood for something really stupid.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:51 am

BeefyG wrote:We rented Rocketman on Amazon Prime tonight. Not the Elton John thing but the disney movie with Harland Williams from 1997. It was a hit with the kiddos. It’s a lot of fun if you’re in the mood for something really stupid.
I got an email today that Amazon noticed we had a technical issue streaming the movie and they sent a refund! We had to close the app and restart it at one point but it wasn’t a big deal and I had forgotten about it. Woot!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:05 pm

+JMJ+

Slither

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco