G-A's scorpion thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 15811
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by gaining_age » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:50 am
Sorry about that. How do you suppose such a large 3 inch one got into your house?

They are tricky dudes. They can get through a gap as thin as a credit card.

I see about 1-3 a year. They come in during the weather change-- going hot or going cold. This was curious as it had already been hot.

I've hunted the yard and have only seen 1-3 when hunting-- proactive searching. Which tells me I don't have an infestation-- just occasional pests.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 3267
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:50 pm

According to the folks at The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, you may just need a new pet or two....


Predators

Scorpions are preyed upon by large centipedes, tarantulas, lizards, birds (especially owls), and mammals such as bats, shrews, and grasshopper mice.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12333
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by Thoth » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:50 pm
According to the folks at The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, you may just need a new pet or two....


Predators

Scorpions are preyed upon by large centipedes, tarantulas, lizards, birds (especially owls), and mammals such as bats, shrews, and grasshopper mice.
Centipedes are worse than scorpions.

Praying the pain has faded and no further ill effects.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 15811
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by gaining_age » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 am

Thoth wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:50 pm
According to the folks at The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, you may just need a new pet or two....


Predators

Scorpions are preyed upon by large centipedes, tarantulas, lizards, birds (especially owls), and mammals such as bats, shrews, and grasshopper mice.
Centipedes are worse than scorpions.

Praying the pain has faded and no further ill effects.

Thank you.

I woke up this morning and said to myself... "I'm breathing!" So, my fears were allayed about having complications. The pain/tingling is now back isolated back to the local area of my toe. So, prayers have been answered. And I'm grateful.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21963
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 am

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 am
Thoth wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:50 pm
According to the folks at The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, you may just need a new pet or two....


Predators

Scorpions are preyed upon by large centipedes, tarantulas, lizards, birds (especially owls), and mammals such as bats, shrews, and grasshopper mice.
Centipedes are worse than scorpions.

Praying the pain has faded and no further ill effects.

Thank you.

I woke up this morning and said to myself... "I'm breathing!" So, my fears were allayed about having complications. The pain/tingling is now back isolated back to the local area of my toe. So, prayers have been answered. And I'm grateful.


G.
We're grateful, too.

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12333
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by Thoth » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:17 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 am
Thoth wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:50 pm
According to the folks at The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, you may just need a new pet or two....


Predators

Scorpions are preyed upon by large centipedes, tarantulas, lizards, birds (especially owls), and mammals such as bats, shrews, and grasshopper mice.
Centipedes are worse than scorpions.

Praying the pain has faded and no further ill effects.

Thank you.

I woke up this morning and said to myself... "I'm breathing!" So, my fears were allayed about having complications. The pain/tingling is now back isolated back to the local area of my toe. So, prayers have been answered. And I'm grateful.

G.
Thank God, you're doing well.

With bark scorpions (and similiar neurotoxins) most complications would show up quick within that hour or so. The opposite would have happened, it acts like a stimulant "Clinically this manifests as cholinergic and adrenergic stimulation producing myriad signs and symptoms commensurate with neuromuscular hyperactivity and parasympathetic stimulation. Tongue and muscle fasciculations, gross skeletal motor hyperactivity, opsoclonus and salivary gland hypersecretion can all be seen as part of the clinical manifestations of Centruroides sculpturatus envenomation. ... It is important to highlight that Centruroides sculpturatus produces significant neurotoxicity but is distinct from other scorpions species in that it lacks the ability to cause significant direct cardiac toxicity."
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20913
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Thoth wrote:Thank God, you're doing well.

With bark scorpions (and similiar neurotoxins) most complications would show up quick within that hour or so. The opposite would have happened, it acts like a stimulant "Clinically this manifests as cholinergic and adrenergic stimulation producing myriad signs and symptoms commensurate with neuromuscular hyperactivity and parasympathetic stimulation. Tongue and muscle fasciculations, gross skeletal motor hyperactivity, opsoclonus and salivary gland hypersecretion can all be seen as part of the clinical manifestations of Centruroides sculpturatus envenomation. ... It is important to highlight that Centruroides sculpturatus produces significant neurotoxicity but is distinct from other scorpions species in that it lacks the ability to cause significant direct cardiac toxicity."
S'cuse? What was that again?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12333
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by Thoth » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 pm


S'cuse? What was that again?
Its like a nicotine/caffeine/cocaine overdose with less rik of your heart exploding...
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20913
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:12 am

Thoth wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm
Jocose wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 pm


S'cuse? What was that again?
Its like a nicotine/caffeine/cocaine overdose with less rik of your heart exploding...
Hmmm.. sounds like I need to find some scorpions instead?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12333
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by Thoth » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:12 am
Thoth wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm
Jocose wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 pm


S'cuse? What was that again?
Its like a nicotine/caffeine/cocaine overdose with less rik of your heart exploding...
Hmmm.. sounds like I need to find some scorpions instead?
So you enjoy being twitchy, drooling, and in pain? Different strokes for different folks I guess. :twisted:
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21963
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by JimVH » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:16 am

I love family photos:

Image

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35401
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: G-A's scorpion thread

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:16 am
I love family photos:

Image
Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Post Reply