THE CHRISTIAN THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President

Re: THE CHRISTIAN THREAD

Post by wosbald » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:46 pm

+JMJ+

Panel: Politicizing border issue overshadows serious plight of migrants
Members of the Border Network for Human Rights and the Reform Immigration Alliance for Texas hold a march in El Paso, Texas, April 10, 2021, to launch the new "We Are The 11 Million" campaign demanding immigration reform and a pathway to citizenship for all immigrants living in the U.S. without documents. (Credit: Jose Luis Gonzalez/Reuters via CNS)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The principal message of an April 15 Georgetown University webinar on immigrants at the U.S.-Mexico border: Don’t believe everything you hear from politicians. Because more often than not, no one pays close attention to the reality of border issues, and repeat the same old talking points.

“What ends up being reported by people who don’t really know what’s happening (and) bring a certain bias to the discussion is far from the reality that they experience from day to day,” said Bishop Mark J. Seitz of El Paso, Texas.

“I’ve been in El Paso eight years. To see this cycle continue, and what I’ve seen is that every time we get a cyclical increase in people that are seeking refuge here in this country, the politicians fall into place and you hear them saying the exact same things,” the bishop said. “They could have just replayed it from 2014 or 2019.”

Seitz, a critic of President Donald Trump’s immigration and refugee policies, was part of an online panel, “Immigration Challenges and Choices, People, Principles and Policies,” sponsored by Georgetown University’s Initiative on Catholic Social Thought and Public Life.

According to an April 8 Washington Post story, U.S. Border Patrol agents took 172,331 border-crossers into custody in March. In February, the number was 100,000.

[…]

“We’re seeing an increase in the number of families that are arriving,” said panelist Sabrina Rodríguez, an immigration correspondent for Politico. “There is a mismatch and confusion around who gets to stay and who is sent back. Some families are being allowed to remain in the United States, some are being sent back to Mexico.”

“There is chaos and confusion in the process and the way it’s being administered at the moment,” she continued. “But it’s important to note when we’re seeing these big numbers of (a total of) 172,000 migrants apprehended at the border. It’s not 172,000 people that were let loose in the United States and there is no order. There is a very real system.”

“Maybe it’s time to stop politicizing these issues and begin Christianizing them,” Seitz said. “Because it seems that many of us who consider ourselves Christians, we have pretty well set aside what our faith should be telling us about these issues as though it really doesn’t apply.”

“We’re so focused on this border situation that we don’t ask ourselves why are they leaving home,” he said. “It’s not because they’re trying to get a nicer car. It’s because they are fleeing. If only we would begin to understand this that the situation in Central America is very, very bad right now.”

He added, “It has violence comparable to war zones (such as) Syria, Afghanistan, when you start talking about homicide rates and the like.”

The Rev. Walter Kim, who heads the National Association of Evangelicals and is the pastor for leadership at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Charlottesville, Virginia, said migration means “I want to take seriously our identity as God’s people. The Bible is a story of migration. Essentially to be a Christian is to be a migrant.”

“I think we’re at a pivotal moment in our country,” he added, “of understanding that not only as God’s people are we essentially migrant people, but this country is essentially a migrant country. Other than the Native Americans, we are migrants who have journeyed here.”

“There is one thing you hear in Washington and a very different thing you hear when talking to people that are dealing with the day to day challenges,” said Rodríguez.

“Nobody at the border, for the most part, is talking to you about ‘well, because Biden said this or Trump said that’ or the politicking about it,” she explained. “It’s very much ‘OK, we’re used to this. We know what to do. We know how to handle this and we’re concerned about getting these people safe and getting them fed and clothed and to their final destination with their family.'”

And they’re “wanting to move past the politics of all this,” she said.

According to Rodríguez, “The reality is while the Biden administration can make certain changes and push the countries in Central America and Guatemala and El Salvador to do something, it takes Congress doing action (on immigration), which it hasn’t done and repeatedly failed to do.”

“I don’t think there’s any question that racism plays a role here,” said Seitz.

“One message we often give to politicians, is watch your language. … If you are painting a situation at the border of chaos, and using words like invasion and criminals are coming across and so on, then there are certainly groups that respond to that,” the bishop said.

“They appeal to the fear that people have. And that fear leads very often to surface racism that has been so much a part of our life in this country from its beginning,” he added.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:12 am

+JMJ+

Prayers said aloud lead the way to God, pope says at audience
Pope Francis listens during his general audience in the library of the Apostolic Palace at the Vatican April 21, 2021. Continuing his series of talks on prayer, the pope reflected on the importance of speaking the words of prayers out loud rather than seeing prayer just as a mental exercise or form of meditation. (Credit: CNS photo/Vatican Media)

ROME — Because prayer is a dialogue with God, people should not dismiss or be embarrassed by saying their prayers out loud or in a whisper, Pope Francis said.

“Vocal prayer is an essential element of the Christian life,” and when Jesus taught the disciples how to pray, it was with a vocal prayer, the “Our Father,” the pope said April 21 during his weekly general audience.

Continuing his series of talks on prayer, the pope reflected on the importance of speaking the words of prayers out loud rather than seeing prayer just as a mental exercise or form of meditation.

Too often, people think reciting a prayer is something only children or the uneducated do, but it is the way Jesus taught his followers to pray, he said.

“The words we speak take us by the hand. At times they restore flavor, they awaken even the sleepiest of hearts,” they reawaken forgotten feelings and they “lead us by the hand toward experiencing God,” he said.

People should be humble when seeing the elderly who unfailingly show their fidelity to the duty of prayer and who are “often the great intercessors of parishes,” he said.

“They are the oaks that from year to year spread their branches to offer shade to the greatest number of people,” he said. And even though they, too, must have faced moments of darkness and emptiness, they remain faithful to vocal prayer.

“It is like an anchor, one can hold onto the rope and remain faithful, come what may,” he said.

“The words of a prayer get us safely through a dark valley, direct us toward green meadows rich in water and enable us to feast in front of the eyes of an enemy,” as Psalm 23 teaches, he said.

[…]

Sacred Scripture shows the human heart can be home to harmful or hateful feelings, he said, “and when these evil feelings come knocking at the door of our heart, we must be able to defuse them with prayer and God’s words.”

Vocal prayers “are the only ones, in a sure way, that direct to God the questions he wants to hear. Jesus did not leave us in a fog. He told us, ‘Pray then like this,’ and he taught the Lord’s Prayer,” he said.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:00 pm

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Economic Magisterium/Integral Ecology/Seamless Garment/Fratelli Tutti
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"The Statement on Social Justice": pg 6
"Pro-life Bills/Laws": pg 15
"Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism": pg 9
"Economics": pg 6 / pg 6
"THE CATHOLIC THREAD": pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 150 / pg 150 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 153
"The Climate Change Thread": pg 14 / pg 14 / pg 15 / pg 16
"Biden has done a ['X'] job so far": pg 17 / pg 18 / pg 19 / pg 19
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 65 / pg 121 / pg 121 / pg 122 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 130 / pg 130 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 134 / pg 134

Holocaust survivor Fritzie Fritzshall, Cardinal Blase Cupich share hate speech concerns [Video]

CHICAGO (WLS) — Holocaust survivor Fritzie Fritzshall and her close friend Chicago Cardinal Blase Cupich gathered at the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center in Skokie Thursday to share a message about hate and prejudice.

April marks both genocide and Holocaust remembrance, and both Fritzshall and Cardinal Cupich said they want people to learn from the past as we take in all we've experienced over this past year and think about where we're going.

Nearly, two years ago, Fritzshall shared her personal story at Auschwitz-Birkenau, where as a teenager she survived the horrors of the Nazi concentration camp during World War II. Now, she's determined to speak out regarding where we are in this time of racial, religious and political self-evaluation.

"Are we getting any closer to where we should be?" Alan Krashesky asked.

"No, I think we're further away," she answered.

Fritzshall points to the attack on the U.S. Capitol, where one man wore a shirt proclaiming "Camp Auschwitz" as pictured in his federal criminal complaint.

"That made my stomach turn," Fritzshall said. "Why do they have to still wear t-shirts about hatred and stuff like that? That's what the Nazis did. That's exactly what they did."

"It was obscene! Obscene!" said Cardinal Cupich. "That kind of action should be totally condemned. It's really repugnant."

They emphasized people must fight back about other forms of language and labelling as well.

This week, in court documents, federal prosecutors alleged that Chicago Alderman Ed Burke was heard using anti-Semitic language while being secretly recorded.

"You don't think other people have heard it? You don't think it's going to be repeated? It will, and this is how it starts, hatred like that," said Fritzshall.

"Anytime there is speech that treats people as 'other,' we begin to go down a difficult and dangerous road," Cardinal Cupich said.

[…]

These two friends — the Roman Catholic Cardinal and the Jewish survivor of the Holocaust — believe that there is hope rising in the voices of young people in the streets who against injustice based on the color of one's skin or beliefs. That kind of potential change begins at home.

"We've all been guilty about saying things about other people in our home and we think our children don't hear us. They hear us," Fritzshall said.

"Words matter and we have to make sure that we tell young people when they hear hate speech and speech that derides other people, that they have to be willing to speak up and stop it.," said Cardinal Cupich.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:33 pm

I remember this thread being something different than this. Now it’s nothing but news articles. I could ask if there is another thread for these types of posts, but Wos won’t answer it.

That’s too bad. This was a good thread ruined by Wos.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:04 am

gravel wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:33 pm
I remember this thread being something different than this. Now it’s nothing but news articles. I could ask if there is another thread for these types of posts, but Wos won’t answer it.

What, you don't think this is normal?
wosbald wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:00 pm
+JMJ+

Subject Header: Economic Magisterium/Integral Ecology/Seamless Garment/Fratelli Tutti
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"THE CATHOLIC THREAD": pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 119 / pg 150 / pg 150 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 151 / pg 153
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 65 / pg 121 / pg 121 / pg 122 / pg 127 / pg 128 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 129 / pg 130 / pg 130 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 131 / pg 132 / pg 133 / pg 133 / pg 134 / pg 134
It might be alright if it were only contained to one thread, but click any of those hyperlinks and you'll find that nearly all of those threads are exactly the same. Something happened to wos after Frank from Argentina donned the big mitire. I think the current theory is that some sort of Jesuit cybernetics were activated.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

gravel

Post by gravel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:30 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:04 am
gravel wrote:

*snip*

It might be alright if it were only contained to one thread, but click any of those hyperlinks and you'll find that nearly all of those threads are exactly the same. Something happened to wos after Frank from Argentina donned the big mitire. I think the current theory is that some sort of Jesuit cybernetics were activated.
Wos becoming some digitized super Jesuit internet bot is certainly a compelling idea. This type of posting is similar to ad bots in blog comments, neglected forums, and other online communities. This thread look abandoned to the Wosbot and gives the forum a bit of a neglected look.

I don’t know if Wos is actually using a bot, using the ol’ copy and paste, or is free typing these from notes he’s collected over the years. Regardless, this behavior is obsessive and excessive - not unlike some students I have had over the last few years who are on the spectrum.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:20 pm

gravel wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:30 am
tuttle wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:04 am
gravel wrote:

*snip*

Wos becoming some digitized super Jesuit internet bot is certainly a compelling idea. This type of posting is similar to ad bots in blog comments, neglected forums, and other online communities. This thread look abandoned to the Wosbot and gives the forum a bit of a neglected look.

I don’t know if Wos is actually using a bot, using the ol’ copy and paste, or is free typing these from notes he’s collected over the years. Regardless, this behavior is obsessive and excessive - not unlike some students I have had over the last few years who are on the spectrum.
I hear pfizer is offering a woscination

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:08 pm

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 12

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:

‘Fratelli Tutti’: Finding Sisterhood and Brotherhood to Overcome What Divides Us [Colloquium]

Description:

Inspired by Saint Francis of Assisi, Pope Francis’ Fratelli Tutti calls for a way of life marked by the “flavor of the Gospel.” The pope’s latest encyclical focuses on contemporary social and economic problems while urging an ideal world of more human fraternity and solidarity. Franciscan Action Network is excited to bring to you a series of discussions that will unpack the Holy Father’s directives to help heal divisions and guide us towards better unity.

“God is universal love, and as long as we are part of that love and share in it, we are called to universal fraternity, which is openness to all.” (Ch.3) The Holy Father implores us to strive for a world “without walls, without borders, without people rejected, without strangers.” In order to achieve this world, he says, each of us needs an open heart. (Ch. 4)

As a way to enrich our understanding and reflection on the encyclical, Franciscan Action Network will host four discussions on Fratelli Tutti in conjunction with specific topics. Each will begin at 7pm ET (4pm PT) and be moderated by our own Executive Director, Stephen Schneck. Click here to learn how to sponsor these events.

Please click the individual registration links below to attend. Once you register you will be emailed a unique link to join the events. Please note, if you are unable to attend the live discussions for any reason, we will be making recordings available.

(There is a separate registration link for each discussion.)

=========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

-->> REGISTER

=========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

-->> REGISTER

-->> REGISTER

-->> REGISTER

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Wed May 05, 2021 5:28 pm

Well... if you read the OP... you must deduce this thread was a complete and total failure.
"What's wrong with you people? " - R.C. Sproul

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu May 06, 2021 7:07 am

ChildOfGod wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:28 pm
Well... if you read the OP... you must deduce this thread was a complete and total failure.
Wait. Are you saying that
wosbald wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:08 pm
Economic Magisterium/Integral Ecology/Seamless Garment/Fratelli Tutti
doesn't fall under the purview of "unifying similarities"?

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

gravel

Post by gravel » Thu May 06, 2021 9:04 am

ChildOfGod wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:28 pm
One uncooperative poster can do that.

As an experiment I made the wosbot a foe. Now page after page looks like this on my screen:

It’s difficult to say anything that sounds like criticism of the moderation standards around here as they are attached to people we value. I know moderation has been applied with a light touch - something I appreciate as that has been my standard where I have moderated in large online communities. That said, this thread needs substantial pruning to get it back on track.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu May 06, 2021 5:29 pm

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 8 / pg 8 / pg 9 / pg 9 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 10 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 11 / pg 12 / pg 12

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:

Migration an opportunity for a ‘colorful future,’ Pope says
Displaced people are seen in a file photo along a road near Goma, Congo. (Credit: Thomas Mukoya/Reuters via CNS)

ROME — Pope Francis says society, both in the wider world and within the Church, is crumbling due to “myopic and aggressive forms of nationalism and radical individualism,” and it’s those who live in the peripheries who’re paying the highest price.

He also said the ongoing migration phenomenon — according to a 2020 report from the United Nations 2020, over 280 million people around the world live in countries different to the one they were born — is an opportunity to overcome fear and be enriched by the diversity of the other.

“We can transform borders into privileged places of encounter,” Francis said, urging society to work together towards a more sustainable and inclusive development knowing that “whatever good is done in our world is done for present and future generations.” The commitment to do so mustn’t make distinction between “natives and foreigners, between residents and guests, since it is a matter of a treasure we hold in common, from whose care and benefits no one should be excluded.”

Francis’s words came in his annual message for the World Day of Migrants and Refugee, which was released on Thursday.

The Church has been celebrating the World Day of Migrants and Refugees since 1914, and it is marked on the last Sunday of September.

The history of salvation, Francis argued in this year’s message, presents humanity as a “we,” with God creating humanity male and female, “different yet complementary, in order to form a ‘we’ destined to become ever more numerous in the succession of generations,” and Christ died and rose “so that they may all be one.”

“The present time, however, shows that this ‘we’ willed by God is broken and fragmented, wounded and disfigured,” the pope said. “This becomes all the more evident in moments of great crisis, as is the case with the current pandemic. Our ‘we’, both in the wider world and within the Church, is crumbling and cracking due to myopic and aggressive forms of nationalism and radical individualism.”

And it’s those who are easily defined as “others” who pay the highest price for the fragmentation: “Foreigners, migrants, the marginalized, those living on the existential peripheries.”

Quoting heavily from his latest encyclical, Fratelli Tutti, the pontiff reiterated a concern and a hope he’s had since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic: “Once this health crisis passes, our worst response would be to plunge even more deeply into feverish consumerism and new forms of egotistic self-preservation. God willing, after all this, we will think no longer in terms of ‘them’ and ‘those’, but only ‘us.’”

[…]

By fostering a more inclusive humanity, he said, societies will have a “colorful” future, enriched by diversity and cultural exchange. But for this to happen, it’s necessary to “break down the walls that separate us and, in acknowledging our profound interconnection, build bridges that foster a culture of encounter.”

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri May 07, 2021 7:51 am

:egor: M i G r A t I o N p O p E t U t T i F r U i T y :egor:

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue May 11, 2021 9:25 am

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Holy Land Peace
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 7 / pg 7 / pg 9

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"THE CATHOLIC THREAD": pg 142 / pg 142 / pg 143
"Something Good": pg 2
"Faith in the News": pg 119 / pg 120 / pg 121 / pg 121 / pg 121 / pg 123
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 129
"President Trump is a problem...": pg 15 / pg 16 / pg 18 / pg 19 / pg 23 / pg 23 / pg 23 / pg 23 / pg 29 / pg 33 / pg 33 / pg 43
"Biden has done a good job so far": pg 7 / pg 10
"Purely Politics II": pg 107 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109

Christian leaders in Jerusalem express concern over growing violence
A Palestinian woman runs near Israeli security force members during a violent protest amid Israeli-Palestinian tension just outside Jerusalem's Old City May 10, 2021. The Palestinians were protesting the possible eviction of several Palestinian families from homes on land claimed by Jewish settlers in East Jerusalem. (Credit: Ronen Zvulun/Reuters via CNS)

JERUSALEM — The patriarchs and heads of Christian churches of Jerusalem expressed deep concern over the growing violence in Jerusalem, which increased with 331 Palestinians reportedly wounded at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound during clashes with Israeli police May 10.

“We … are profoundly disheartened and concerned about the recent violent events in East Jerusalem. These concerning developments, whether at the Al-Aqsa Mosque or in Sheikh Jarrah, violate the sanctity of the people of Jerusalem and of Jerusalem as the City of Peace,” the church leaders said in the May 10 statement. Sheikh Jarrah is a neighborhood in East Jerusalem.

At least 21 Israeli police reportedly were injured during the confrontations, which began early in the morning as Israelis prepared to celebrate Jerusalem Day, commemorating what Israel views as the 1968 reunification of Jerusalem and Palestinians see as the start of the Israeli occupation.

[…]

“The special character of Jerusalem, the Holy City, with the existing Status Quo, compels all parties to preserve the already sensitive situation in the Holy City of Jerusalem. The growing tension, backed mainly by right-wing radical groups, endangers the already fragile reality in and around Jerusalem,” the Christian leaders said in their statement.

In a separate statement May 10, the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem also denounced the violence.

“The violence used against the worshippers undermines their safety and their rights to have access to the holy places and worship freely,” the patriarchate said. “The forced eviction of Palestinians from their homes in Sheikh Jarrah is also an unacceptable violation of the most fundamental human rights, the right to a home.”

Throughout April and into May, Jerusalem has been engulfed in the worst violence in years as police prevented Palestinian youth from gathering at the Damascus Gate square during the evenings of the holy month of Ramadan as usual. Police said they were responding to TikTok videos showing Palestinians attacking religious Jews in the area. Tensions have also flared over pending evictions of Palestinians from Sheikh Jarrah.

The Latin Patriarchate said it opposed any attempt to make Jerusalem an exclusive city for anyone.

“This is a sacred city to the three monotheistic religions, and, based on international law and relevant U.N. resolutions, also a city where the Palestinian people, Christians and Muslims, have the same right to build a future based on freedom, equality and peace,” it said.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri May 14, 2021 11:54 am

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Holy Land Peace
Intra-Thread Trackbacks: pg 7 / pg 7 / pg 9 / pg 12

Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"THE CATHOLIC THREAD": pg 142 / pg 142 / pg 143
"Something Good": pg 2
"Faith in the News": pg 119 / pg 120 / pg 121 / pg 121 / pg 121 / pg 123
"I'm Starting to Like This Pope": pg 129
"President Trump is a problem...": pg 15 / pg 16 / pg 18 / pg 19 / pg 23 / pg 23 / pg 23 / pg 23 / pg 29 / pg 33 / pg 33 / pg 43
"Biden has done a good job so far": pg 7 / pg 10
"Purely Politics II": pg 107 / pg 108 / pg 108 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109 / pg 109

U.S. bishop urges end of Holy Land violence between Israelis, Palestinians
A Palestinian man stands next to damaged shops in the aftermath of Israeli airstrikes on the first day of Eid al-Fitr, in Gaza City May 13, 2021. (Credit: Suhaib Salem/Reuters via CNS)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The chairman of the U.S. bishops’ Committee on International Justice and Peace called on Israelis and Palestinians to end the violence in Jerusalem and Gaza that has claimed dozens of lives and left hundreds of people injured.

“The maiming and killing of one’s neighbor only serves to demonize one’s adversary and deepen passions that divide and destroy,” Bishop David J. Malloy of Rockford, Illinois, said in a May 13 statement released by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

In calling for peace between Israel and the Islamic political party Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip, Malloy cited the words of Pope Francis, who on May 9 expressed concern over the ongoing clashes between Palestinians and Israelis in Jerusalem.

“I invite everyone to seek shared solutions so that the multireligious and multicultural identity of the Holy City is respected and fraternity prevails,” the pope said then. “Violence begets violence. Enough with the clashes.”

He also said bishops were “saddened that simmering tensions erupted into violence in the Holy Land.”

The statement comes in the wake of the most violent fighting in several years between Israel and Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip.

[…]

Malloy said the U.S. bishops have long supported upholding the Status Quo of the Holy Places, including the Al-Aqsa Mosque. The status quo is an understanding among religious communities regarding nine shared religious sites in Jerusalem and Bethlehem, West Bank.

“We affirm the need to adhere to international law in settling these disputes, rightly rooted in moral law, the rights of nations, and equal dignity of every people,” Malloy said.

The statement said the U.S. bishops join Pope Francis, Archbishop Pierbattista Pizzaballa, Latin patriarch of Jerusalem, and others who have “called on the international community to intervene in the promotion of a just peace in the Holy City.”

“We especially offer our prayers for all those who rightfully call the Holy Land home, as it is through them any lasting peace will come,” he said. “May the primary adversaries in this conflict be given the guidance, strength and courage that only comes from on high to build trust amidst those who are eager for belligerence. With our suffering Lord as our model, we renew our enduring commitment to our brothers and sisters in the Holy Land.”

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco