THE CHRISTIAN THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:49 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:
gaining_age wrote:Matthew 7: Jesus said
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
Im conveinced that that "fruit" they are known by is the fruit of thier lips, what comes out of thier mouth.
Words, writings and actions
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 pm

In the Gospel according to John, Chapter 10 Verse 28, The Apostle John wrote:
I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.

"What's wrong with you people? " - R.C. Sproul

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:46 am

1 Chronicles 26:18 wrote: At Parbar westward, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 am

gaining_age wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
Im conveinced that that "fruit" they are known by is the fruit of thier lips, what comes out of thier mouth.
The effect that they induce in others is their fruit. The fruit is produced by their words, writings, and actions.

Do they inspire followers to humility, holiness, generosity in love for others, greater love for God?

Or do they produce dissention, schism, bitterness & hatred, pride & isolation, etc....
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

The future is certain; it’s the past that keeps changing. ~ Old Soviet joke

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:08 am

ChildOfGod wrote:Image
In the Gospel according to John, Chapter 10 Verse 28, The Apostle John wrote:
I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.

Firm trust in this promise is what allowed the persecuted Christians to go to their deaths with such joy.

The only thing that the convicted Christians feared was sin. As Paul warned them, our own choices are the only thing that can separate us from Christ. Nothing from outside of us can harm us, but only what is inside.
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:46 am

Del wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:
The effect that they induce in others is their fruit. The fruit is produced by their words, writings, and actions.

Do they inspire followers to humility, holiness, generosity in love for others, greater love for God?

Or do they produce dissention, schism, bitterness & hatred, pride & isolation, etc....
I’ve always thought it was the fruit of the Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-Control. If you’ve got these, they’ll manifest themselves EVERYWHERE!!! :D

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:26 pm

via MrsGabriel to TribalWife...
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 wrote:16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:35 am

Rummaging around Psalms today and this jumped out at me.

Psalm 71

Your righteousness reaches heaven, God,
You who have done great things;
God, who is like You?

You caused me to experience
many troubles and misfortunes,
but You will revive me again,
even from the depths of the earth.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 am

This verse caught my eye yesterday-- I'm pondering it and how it may be applicable today:

Isaiah 30
15 For the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, has said:
You will be delivered by returning and resting;
your strength will lie in quiet confidence.
But you are not willing.”

Am I willing?

Amplified:

15 For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel: In returning [to Me] and resting [in Me] you shall be saved; in quietness and in [trusting] confidence shall be your strength. But you would not,
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:13 am

James 2:

12 Speak and act as those who will be judged by the law of freedom.
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:49 am

Mylon Lefevre wrote: Traveling on
This straight and narrow road
I must press on
To obtain my goal
He guides my steps
And keeps me on the straight in line
The crown of life
Will soon one day be mine

So sings my soul
And lifts my voice
He makes me glad
I will rejoice
So sings my soul
And lifts my voice
He makes me glad
I will, I will, I will rejoice

Sometimes my eyes
Are too weak to see
Sometimes my ears
Do not hear Him speak
Oh but if I fall
He will stand me up If I just call
He will lift me with His hand

So sings my soul
And lifts my voice
He makes me glad
I will rejoice
So sings my soul
And lifts my voice
He makes me glad
I will, I will, I will rejoice

I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God while I live. May my meditation be pleasing to Him; I will rejoice in the Lord. (Psalms 104:33, 34 HCSB)
The 6s of 1st John:

Ethell
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Ethell » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:47 am

Blessed the man, that fears Jehovah
And that walketh in His ways.
Thou shalt eat of thy hands labor
And be prospered all thy days.

Psalter version of Psalm 128:1,2

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:20 pm

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:09 am

1 John 3:1 NKJV
"Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!"

This morning I had a sudden clarity of how profound His love is. I tend to let the fog of my failures and flaws keep me from seeing it, but this morning it sunk in. It brought tears to my eyes.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:23 am

JimVH wrote:1 John 3:1 NKJV
"Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!"

This morning I had a sudden clarity of how profound His love is. I tend to let the fog of my failures and flaws keep me from seeing it, but this morning it sunk in. It brought tears to my eyes.
Thank you Jim.

I've been having that pull too of looking to God's love... shifting from studying rejoicing to His love. Romans 5:5 This hope does not disappoint. Because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 am

Themes of restoration and joy are hitting me today.

Romans 5:1-11 is where I'm meditating-- focussing on God's love in 6-11.

6 For while we were still helpless, at the appointed moment, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For rarely will someone die for a just person—though for a good person perhaps someone might even dare to die. 8 But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us! 9 Much more then, since we have now been declared righteous by His blood, we will be saved through Him from wrath. 10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, then how much more, having been reconciled, will we be saved by His life! 11 And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ. We have now received this reconciliation through Him.

God is wooing... initiating yet waiting patiently (I'm trying to reflect that in my dating life.... surprise-- God's seeking me and started it first).

Is my heart receptive?

Rejoice for the kingdom of God is at hand? Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent is the changing of the mind-- the direction-- that path. With the change comes much rejoicing.

Luke 15:7 tell you, in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over 99 righteous people who don't need repentance.

Psalm 51 has some great parts in the restoration-- so much I get caught in the heavy condemnation or guilt or agony of the sin that is causing a hurt or the pains that David is talking about-- his beseeching and confession. But there is the joy in restoration in key verses-- the wooing and Spirit in the repentance and the joy that follows:

Psalm 51
8: Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

This ties right back to Romans 5 --

5 This hope will not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Oh the wooing of God -- let my heart be open and accepting. Let me rejoice in His restoration and look into His face as he welcomes me in gladly.
The 6s of 1st John:

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: THE CHRISTIAN THREAD

Post by wosbald » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 am

+JMJ+

Subject Header: Christianity Today Magazine/Mark Galli/Conversion
Inter-Thread Trackbacks:
"Party Affiliation as a Metric of Reprobation (if not Salvation)": pg 5

Mark Galli, former Christianity Today editor and Trump critic, to be confirmed a Catholic [In-Depth]
Mark Galli receives communion during Mass at St. Michael Catholic Church early Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020, in Wheaton, Illinois. (RNS/Tom Killoran)

Chicago — On Sept. 13, Mark Galli will stand before Bishop Richard Pates in the Cathedral of St. Raymond Nonnatus in Joliet, Illinois, to hear these words:

"Francis, be sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Pates will then dab Galli's forehead with anointing oil (using a cotton ball instead of his thumb due to COVID-19). And with that, Galli — who has chosen his confirmation name after St. Francis of Assisi — will become a Roman Catholic.

Galli's journey to Catholicism is notable, in part because of the nation's political climate. A former Presbyterian pastor, Galli spent seven years as editor-in-chief of Christianity Today, the premier publication for evangelicals whose founder was the legendary evangelist Billy Graham.

But for a few days last December, Galli was perhaps the most well-known evangelical in the country — after penning an editorial calling for Donald Trump's impeachment and removal from office and arguing he was "profoundly immoral."

It went viral, earning a rebuke from Trump on Twitter, and bringing Galli — who retired from the magazine in January — a tsunami of publicity. Some of his fellow evangelicals praised the editorial as courageous, given their movement's overwhelming support for the president.

Trump's evangelical supporters labeled it misguided and out of touch.

Now, two months before the election, with evangelical allegiance to Trump polling as strong as before, Galli is leaving the fold.

As with most conversions, however, Galli insists his is personal, not political.

[…]

In the intervening years, Galli has slowly moved away from the evangelical mainstream. He started out a Presbyterian, then became an Episcopalian and an Anglican. For a time he attended an Orthodox church.

Two years ago when Galli expressed an interest in attending the course of study for Catholic converts called Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults, his teacher John Ellison, himself a convert, knew Galli's mind was made up.

"Once something commends itself to you as true and real, even if it's inconvenient, you either look the other way and pretend you didn't see it," said Ellison, "or you do something about it."

Mark Galli at St. Michael Catholic Church, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020, in Wheaton, Illinois. (RNS/Tom Killoran)

A storied tradition

[…]

"I want to submit myself to something bigger than myself," Galli said.

"One thing I like about both Orthodoxy and Catholicism is that you have to do these things, whether you like it or not, whether you're in the mood or not, sometimes whether you believe or not. You just have to plow ahead. I want that. If it's left up to me, I am one lazy son-of-a-b****. I will not do anything unless someone comes along and says, 'You need to do this. This is really important. This will shape your life. Come on, Galli. Get off your butt.'"

For the past two years, Galli has been attending the daily 6:30 a.m. Mass at St. Michael Catholic Church, a large parish with about 3,000 families about two miles from his home. He goes to confession twice monthly. Lately, he has been volunteering to welcome people to the confession room, and sanitize chairs and door handles in between sessions.

He said he was "miserable" during the first two months of the pandemic when the church was closed.

"The Mass is a perfect Mark Galli service," he said. "There's no singing. There are no hymns. The homily is five minutes. The whole service is 25 minutes. They give you a single thought, a single illustration, a quote, and you're done. Wow."

'I can't do it anymore'

In some ways, Galli is not a convert. He's a revert.

[…]

Mark Galli attends Mass at St. Michael Catholic Church early Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020, in Wheaton, Illinois. (RNS/Tom Killoran)

Living under a structure

If Galli had one gnawing frustration with Protestant Christianity, it was the ceaseless splintering and divisions. He tried to work toward unity.

It left him exhausted.

Still, Galli takes seriously Jesus' desire for unity in his farewell prayer.

That left him with a choice, he said — to join the institution that claims to be the one true church.

"True unity requires not just a mental and emotional assent, but actually an agreement to live under a structure, an ethos, a way of doing things together," he said.

To be sure, the Catholic Church is also beset with factions and theological controversies, but now retired and a layman, he'll be a step removed from the squabbles.

Galli conceded that some Catholic doctrines still sit uncomfortably with him.

[…]

He said he reminds himself of the breadth and depth of the Catholic saints: Augustine, Aquinas, Benedict, Ignatius and, of course, Francis of Assisi, about whom he wrote a book. And he's dazzled.

On Sunday, Ellison, his sponsor, will join him at the cathedral in Joliet. COVID-19 rules do not allow Galli to bring guests. The 22 adult confirmands will wear masks and sit at a distance. It's not the confirmation he envisioned. But it's one he'll live with.

On Monday morning, he'll go to Mass.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:16 am

+JMJ+

Cities get our attention, but rural America has many of the same challenges
Anita's Tortilleria, a restaurant and gas station on the south side of Fremont, Neb., is one sign of the growing diversity in many American small towns. (Nathan Beacom)

Walking into the corner store to grab a coffee, you pass two Sudanese women sitting on a bench, arguing about when the pandemic might finally be over. Inside, you grab a Coke and a bag of chicharrones, and the Salvadoran clerk rings you up. As you chat, you learn that he is worried about his daughter going back to public school in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, but his family cannot afford another computer for her at home; and their internet is bad anyway. Outside, a road repair truck pulls up; a gaggle of white and Hispanic workers jump out in bright green vests; they grab some Gatorade and smoke cigarettes.

This scene is not at a bodega in the Bronx. It is at a gas station in Marshalltown, a city of about 28,000 in central Iowa, where agricultural work, meat processing and refugee resettlement are making for an increasingly diverse population. Despite the deepening urban-rural divide in U.S. politics (in 2016, Donald Trump got less than 10 percent of the vote in Manhattan and Washington, D.C., but more than 80 percent in hundreds of counties across the Farm Belt), Marshalltown and many small communities like it are facing challenges not so different from those faced in big cities.

One in five residents of rural counties in the United States is a person of color. Most rural counties have been declining in population over the past decade; the exceptions (scattered throughout the states, including Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma) have generally seen significant increases in their foreign-born populations. While the white rural population continues to decline, Hispanic and American Indian populations in these areas are growing.

Longstanding problems of poverty, drug addiction, inadequate funding for local governments and a lack of access to medical care precede recent demographic changes, and they affect rural residents of all races. The share of the population in completely rural counties without health insurance remains higher, at 12.3 percent, than in mostly urban counties (10.1 percent). Rural Americans also suffer from high rates of lung disease, hypertension and diabetes. And just as there are “food deserts” in Detroit and Oakland, five million rural Americans live more than 10 miles from a full-service grocery store.

Doña Marina, a convenience store on North Main Street in the old downtown of Fremont, Neb. (Nathan Beacom)

Many rural areas in the United States have also been hit hard by the Covid-19 pandemic, especially in areas around meatpacking plants in the Midwest; and many rural counties, like Marshall County, Iowa, where Marshalltown is located, have higher rates of infection than does New York City.

Pope Francis asks us to “go to the margins” to preach the Gospel. In that spirit, we must all remember the places that are literally remote from the centers of power, the places that are often out of sight and out of mind for the decision-makers in a few large cities.

[…]

Our political divisions can provide excuses for dismissing the concerns of people in “red” or “blue” states, but our faith cannot allow us to give in to polarization. The growing racial diversity of rural areas reminds us that perception can lag behind reality, but all of us should have been paying attention to the challenges facing rural America all along.

[…]

We must challenge the divisions in our nation that the powerful exploit for their own gain and instead speak to one another across barriers, not only during an election season but throughout our lives. The growing diversity of rural America is a reminder that, city or country, we have a shared future, and making that future equitable and just means replacing separation with solidarity.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:30 am

It's been a while in this thread.... some good points and scripture items to reflect upon. <Pretty sure articles could be elsewhere>
The 6s of 1st John:

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:40 am

+JMJ+

Cardinal likens fading Christian presence in Middle East to a sinking ship

Lebanese Cardinal Bechara Rai, patriarch of the Maronite Catholic Church, is pictured in a 2017 file photo speaking at the In Defense of Christians Summit in Washington. He described the shrinking presence of Christians in the Middle East as a sinking ship to leaders of the Middle East Council of Churches Sept. 18, 2020. (Credit: Jaclyn Lippelmann/Catholic Standard via CNS.)

BEIRUT — Lebanese Cardinal Bechara Rai warned that the Christian presence in the Middle East is shrinking and church leaders “are called to face the winds that blow in our homelands.”

The assessment by the patriarch of Maronite Catholics during a meeting of the Middle East Council of Churches executive committee Sept. 18 underscored the dire reality facing Christians in the tumultuous region.

“The ship threatened by strong winds and waves” that is sinking symbolizes “the witnessing church in the sea of our Middle Eastern countries troubled by the winds of conflicts and wars, political, economic, financial and livelihood crises, and the corona epidemic,” Rai said.

The cardinal also explained at the meeting he hosted at Bkerke, the Maronite patriarchate north of Beirut, that the threat “reached its climax” in Lebanon with the catastrophic double explosion in the port of Beirut Aug. 4. The disaster left nearly 200 people dead, injured another 6,000, and displaced more than 300,000 people.

He stressed that the MECC is called in such turbulent time to work with churches and their leaders, institutions and the faithful “to face the waves and winds that ravage their homelands … with stances of faith and hope.”

“We ask you, Lord, through the intercession of our Mother Virgin Mary, the star of the sea in the storm, to lead our homelands, our churches and our people to the port of safety,” Rai pleaded.

The MECC in its final statement reiterated its appeal for an end to “the destructive wars and conflicts in the Middle East, to protect human dignity, and build peace on the basis of justice and rights.”

Meeting participants expressed their “deep solidarity” with the Lebanese in the “catastrophic tragedy” they are suffering from the Beirut explosions. They called for continued “ecumenical ecclesiastical efforts with all local, regional and international partners to lift the material and psychological repercussions of this tragedy.”

They also expressed their solidarity with all those affected by the coronavirus pandemic, especially people who have lost loved ones, offered appreciation to medical and humanitarian aid teams, and assured their continued prayers for an end to the pandemic.

[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco