What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JimVH » Sat May 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Assembling a utility trailer for my kayak. This bigger yak is just too heavy for one old man to mange on a rooftop.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon May 14, 2018 5:24 pm

We're having guests next month so I need another bed. The river's up (not totally unfishable, but not the most fun either) and it's s'posed to rain all week, so I figured I might as well get started on this deal. We picked up some reclaimed oak timbers (the darkish wood below) last week. I called around this morning looking for some reclaimed or rough sawn (untreated) 6x6 beams and one mill said they didn't have any, but they'd cut some from dried logs if I wanted to come by later today. The gal called a few hours later and said they were ready. I pulled in to the muddy sawmill yard and this smokin' hot lady drives over and hops out of her front end loader and says "are you Fred?" How a woman in worn out Carhartt overalls, muddy boots, and no makeup can be so beautiful is beyond me, but she was. Anyway, they cut me two 6x6x8' posts for $37.00. It's beetle kill pine so it has some lovely blue/purple coloring to it. The slats in the headboard and footboard will be rough sawn beetle kill too. More pics to follow.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 pm

“FredS” wrote:How a woman in worn out Carhartt overalls, muddy boots, and no makeup can be so beautiful is beyond me, but she was.
Welcome to Colorado!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue May 15, 2018 9:03 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 pm
“FredS” wrote:How a woman in worn out Carhartt overalls, muddy boots, and no makeup can be so beautiful is beyond me, but she was.
Welcome to Colorado!
She'd fit right in here in SE Texas or SW Louisiana as well. But FredS gets a demerit for not posting a pic.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:15 am

Been watching and have bid on & won several quite nice estate pipes on eBay. No more work with them until they arrive

One was this Mastro de Paja Straight Bulldog

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:24 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:03 am
durangopipe wrote:
Welcome to Colorado!
She'd fit right in here in SE Texas or SW Louisiana as well. But FredS gets a demerit for not posting a pic.
Yes. Let us see this smokin' hot lady.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:24 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:03 am
durangopipe wrote:
Welcome to Colorado!
Yes. Let us see this smokin' hot lady.
Neither Mrs FredS nor the pretty lumberjane would have appreciated me taking pictures, but trust me, she's attractive. In the same fashion as female river guides and barrel racers.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 am

I roughed out the plywood transport box for my dad's Coleman lantern and glued it up, now it's off to the hardware store to pick up paint, hinges, handle and a latch.

I cut one sheet of Durock to size for the bathroom sub floor on our long suffering living room carpet because I needed some room to work (I put wood underneath so as not to cut through the carpet) but when I tried to vacuum up the cement dust the vacuum...gave up the ghost! Add one more thing to the list!

I also finished building a cement block planter for our Nectarine tree.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:12 pm

One of the two Pindo Palms I planted in 2005 in the sidewalk/ street median has for several years not been as vigorous as the other due to poor root structure.

After trying different fertilizers over the years last fall I slow drenched in a product called AlkaLiche, designed to loosen and aerate the hard Calachi soil we have around here. I followed that up late winter and early spring with several applications of Fertilome's root simulator, slow dripped at the base of the trunk. It is a very effective product containing growth hormones and some fertilizer.

Recently I have been slow drenching a couple applications of Grow More liquid Palm Fertilizer, and the results look very, very promising. The palm has rather quickly put up a stout and tall central spire of healthy new fronds. I contacted Grow More and they recommended continuing once a month through the summer with a a reduced strength of the liquid fertilizer to help keep the palm from getting heat stressed. In late August through Sept I will fertilize twice more. Hoping at last next year for a much more healthy looking palm.

This is a pic I found online of a Pindo Palm...

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon May 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Still working on the back yard. Rebuilt the rabbit hutch, need to spray round up, level the dirt, build two gates. saw down a dead tree stump, plant some new plants, spread a ground cover. Finish weeding the side yards.

In the wc remodeling front: fit the last piece of Durock, glue and screw those panels down, then look for tile.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:50 pm

I didn’t have a hand in it, but the boys at the Ranch and a couple of our vocational instructors decided that this old GMC Envoy that’s been sitting around needed some alterations. They’ve decided to turn into another “Gator.”

Guarantee that this was the funnest day of school they ever had...

In this last one they picked up one of our board members and gave him a ride to lunch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:50 pm
I didn’t have a hand in it, but the boys at the Ranch and a couple of our vocational instructors decided that this old GMC Envoy that’s been sitting around needed some alterations. They’ve decided to turn into another “Gator.”

Guarantee that this was the funnest day of school they ever had...

In this last one they picked up one of our board members and gave him a ride to lunch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No one wearing seat belts? Click it or ticket.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:04 am

Stop it Goose. It's a low speed, off road vehicle to use around the ranch, not barrel down the highway.

I was going to warn Gabe about the safety nazis because that thing violates a million rules - no doors, sharp edges, no belts in back, yada yada yada, but Goose beat me too it and proved the point.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 am

With that green as a base, you're only a couple of cans of spray paint away from a good redneck camo paint job.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:56 am

I went downstairs last night and decided to count my projects that are waiting to get done...not the "Honey-Do" list or the home maintenance, just my projects...9...and that doesn't include the reloading and fly tying I want to do. I have got to get to work.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:10 am

We are moving to a new house next month so I am working on packing. Packing in the morning, packing at noon...
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:21 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:10 am
We are moving to a new house next month so I am working on packing. Packing in the morning, packing at noon...
You can just send those items with the Coleman name up to me, and I'll hold onto them so they don't get damaged or lost in the move...I will make sure they are safe and sound, cause that's the kind of friend I am 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:21 am
UncleBob wrote:
You can just send those items with the Coleman name up to me, and I'll hold onto them so they don't get damaged or lost in the move...I will make sure they are safe and sound, cause that's the kind of friend I am 8)
'Preciate that. The sacrifices you are willing to make...
:chili:

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:57 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am
Bloodhound wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Liquor stores have the best boxes.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:57 am
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am
Bloodhound wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Liquor stores have the best boxes.
Thanks for the tip!