What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:06 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 am
gaining_age wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:55 am
gaining_age wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:32 am
Well, I had upgraded my old 2010 macbook pro-- 8GB memory and SSD drive... I then bought foot pads and put them on carefully following the directions.

It had been working very well as my main writing laptop and I was enjoying running windows through Parallels and writing and working, etc.

Well, not long ago one of the pads sheared off again. I was not as careful at fixing it and had my wife help me with applying superglue. The next morning I opened up to use it and found some color problems with my display. Sadly, my haste and lack of care had cause some damage to the video connection. :(

I figured maybe I could look up replacement for the laptop. OOh.... looks like I could find a reasonable priced 2 year improvement (compatible with my upgraded SSD)-- so I bought a 16GB 2012 (quad core! rather than dual core) and planned to swap in my SSD.

It arrived last night and I booted it up and it met my specs-- same matte display as my 2010 and 16GB reported. It has some updated/new applications included so I did a migrate to the 2010 that had the SSD in it.

I then "started surgery" on the two laptops to move the drives between them. It reminded me of "The man with two brains" (screw top method of brain surgery)

however, the new 2012 computer is still in a coma. It won't start. I'm not sure what happened. The 2010 is working with either HD-- the SSD or the one swapped from the 2012. I didn't do anything different.

I've scheduled a visit to the Apple store. I may be without my writing laptop a while longer ... it could be a board issue. We'll see what the say, how much, and how long. :(

(FredS..... just think of this as me working on a car and replacing a carb in a classic and it not turning over).
Check the fuel filter. Sometimes junk gets broken lose and plugs up the filter when you swap SSID's.
Engine block was replaced.... and then the found the battery/alternator were flaky. Waiting for parts to come in was the hardest part. But it's back now and working well except the left shift key which I do use a LOT. The key is a slight bit wonky but generally works.

It's a nimble little beasty now. Got the RPMs, MPHs, mpgs and torque I was wanting.
Glad your hot rod is back on the road and ripping through the curves.

Get some WD 40 or 3-in-1 oil and shoot it in the slot to free up that sticky key, then give it a couple sharp raps with a small hammer. If it gets stuck overnight when it cools down you can pour some hot (not boiling) water over it.
ball peen?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 am

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:06 am
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Well, I had upgraded my old 2010 macbook pro-- 8GB memory and SSD drive... I then bought foot pads and put them on carefully following the directions.

It had been working very well as my main writing laptop and I was enjoying running windows through Parallels and writing and working, etc.

Well, not long ago one of the pads sheared off again. I was not as careful at fixing it and had my wife help me with applying superglue. The next morning I opened up to use it and found some color problems with my display. Sadly, my haste and lack of care had cause some damage to the video connection. :(

I figured maybe I could look up replacement for the laptop. OOh.... looks like I could find a reasonable priced 2 year improvement (compatible with my upgraded SSD)-- so I bought a 16GB 2012 (quad core! rather than dual core) and planned to swap in my SSD.

It arrived last night and I booted it up and it met my specs-- same matte display as my 2010 and 16GB reported. It has some updated/new applications included so I did a migrate to the 2010 that had the SSD in it.

I then "started surgery" on the two laptops to move the drives between them. It reminded me of "The man with two brains" (screw top method of brain surgery)

however, the new 2012 computer is still in a coma. It won't start. I'm not sure what happened. The 2010 is working with either HD-- the SSD or the one swapped from the 2012. I didn't do anything different.

I've scheduled a visit to the Apple store. I may be without my writing laptop a while longer ... it could be a board issue. We'll see what the say, how much, and how long. :(

(FredS..... just think of this as me working on a car and replacing a carb in a classic and it not turning over).
Check the fuel filter. Sometimes junk gets broken lose and plugs up the filter when you swap SSID's.
Engine block was replaced.... and then the found the battery/alternator were flaky. Waiting for parts to come in was the hardest part. But it's back now and working well except the left shift key which I do use a LOT. The key is a slight bit wonky but generally works.

It's a nimble little beasty now. Got the RPMs, MPHs, mpgs and torque I was wanting.

Get some WD 40 or 3-in-1 oil and shoot it in the slot to free up that sticky key, then give it a couple sharp raps with a small hammer. If it gets stuck overnight when it cools down you can pour some hot (not boiling) water over it.
ball peen?
That oughta do it. If not you can use a 3lb engineers hammer. (There really is such a thing.)
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:17 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 am
gaining_age wrote:
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

ball peen?
That oughta do it. If not you can use a 3lb engineers hammer. (There really is such a thing.)
They are used for fixing difficult equations.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:29 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:17 pm
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

ball peen?
Sturm-Louiville as an example...
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:36 am

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:29 pm
coco wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:17 pm
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
FredS wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

ball peen?
Sturm-Louiville as an example...
I often tutor in the afternoons. If a student brings that one in, I'm going to have to hit it with a hammer.

Fun fact for Jocose: I looked up "engineer's hammer." It appears that a mini-sledge (not a ball peen) was often part of a steam locomotive driver's toolkit, hence the name.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:58 am

Today I need to finish writing a book review on Mahoney's The Idol of Our Age
Perform some overdue maintenance on my camera
Conjure up my daughter's college tuition
Take a walk down Christmas Tree Lane
and play with the terrier,
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:28 pm

We've been living in one of our mission doc's house while they are on furlough. However, we'll be moving into a different flat shortly after Christmas. It's unfurnished so I've been making some stuff. Nothing nice, just stuff. Here's a TV table. Well...we don't have a TV here, so I guess it's just a table.

Kwila is pretty wood...
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad