What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Sat May 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Fixed a leaking back flow prevention valve in the lawn sprinkler system this afternoon. I bought the rebuild kit before taking it apart but it looked good once I got in there so I cleaned the seats and seals and put it back together with the old parts. No more leak! I'll return the unopened bag of parts for a $35 refund.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

fezzik092
Congregation
Congregation

Post by fezzik092 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:39 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:50 pm
That's a heavy duty baby gate. They grow 'em strong in KS.
I'm a big and tall dude, and the kids got my genetics. Tall, and all around big. My 4 year old holds her own with 6 and 7 year olds, and the 8 month old is on track to be the same way.
Anybody want a peanut?

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Sun May 17, 2020 8:51 am

Yesterday I threaded up an overlock/serger. I researched it at the end of the day and learned it was from 1986. It's been in my possession for a long time-- over a decade-- unused.

I was able to thread it. Yay.

Dogs weren't feeding so I opened up the innards. Finally I identified the screws that should have been tighter.

Putting it back together the dogs were working but the system was tight. I dabbed oil judiciously. Something was still bumping or nudging that caused the motor to whine.

I took out the needles and revved it up-- something still isn't right.

It was the first time I really got into the thing but at this point I'm willing to be done with the investigation and let it go to parts or discard.

I'll go back to the theoretical/abstract today.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:46 am

Windy the next couple days (tomorrow, MOnday, 20 mph) but then on Tuesday morning we're to have an overnight low of 53. THAT is unheard of for mid to late May around here. Over 15 degrees below normal. Not complaining, mind you, but when the heat does get turned on for real it's going to feel like a blow torch.

This weather is kinda fouling me up for I want to hang the new Coolaroo shade panel over the driveway, as I have all the hardware. Windy and it could mess with the install, and so will cool temps, as heat makes the fabric softer and more easy to stretch and put tension on it. It's a large piece, 9 x 15 ft.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

fezzik092
Congregation
Congregation

Post by fezzik092 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am

Payroll. Same as every Monday. Who'da thunk that people like getting paychecks?
Anybody want a peanut?

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon May 18, 2020 11:45 am

fezzik092 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am
:wavey:
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 am

gaining_age wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:45 am
fezzik092 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am
:wavey:
Excellent innovation regarding use of wavey. +2 points.
"I call [coco] 'barely passable heretic.'" - HugoDrax

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:53 pm

The rubber sleeved bracket attaches to the galvanized fence rail material from which I made the frame for the shade fabric. It wraps around the rail tight and then I attach the 2 inch Carabiner spring latch to it and then the fabric is stretched and attached to the same latch.

ImageImageImage
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Mon May 18, 2020 5:10 pm

Be careful up there Goose.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 20, 2020 4:17 pm

I have a whole house fan, the kind that’s supposed to blow warm air into the attic and out of the house and some can lights. They need to be installed. My wife believes I have time to do that because I find time to relax every day. Well, I rather enjoy my current level of production around here and would rather hire someone else to install these. Or perhaps better yet I’ll BBQ up some good food while my wife plays electrician in the attic! She’ll appreciate it with a nice drink when she’s done. :mrgreen:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 pm

Finally installing the heavy duty Coolaroo Commercial 95 shade panel for the new Ram Laramie after some hick-ups in fabricating. Long lens I am using makes the length look foreshortened. Panel is actually 15 feet long and 9 feet wide. Attached to house with eye bolts shown into the rafter tails. Should have this nip & tuck tomorrow morning

ImageImage

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Thu May 21, 2020 2:00 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:17 pm
I have a whole house fan, the kind that’s supposed to blow warm air into the attic and out of the house and some can lights. They need to be installed. My wife believes I have time to do that because I find time to relax every day. Well, I rather enjoy my current level of production around here and would rather hire someone else to install these. Or perhaps better yet I’ll BBQ up some good food while my wife plays electrician in the attic! She’ll appreciate it with a nice drink when she’s done. :mrgreen:
The nothing box!

The 6s of 1st John:

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm

It's not the way I wanted it, but the shade panel is installed. Instead of the metal hardware I wanted to use, most of it is attached w/ heavy zip ties which deteriorate in time. I'm thinking that as the material loosens up w/ age I will be able to secure it with hardware.

This Coolaroo Commercial 95 material is very durable and has a lifespan of 30 years. And this color blocks about 96% of the ultra violet and infra-red (heat) rays.

Last edited by Goose55 on Fri May 22, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fezzik092
Congregation
Congregation

Post by fezzik092 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 pm

Creating a youtube channel for my little church to post our sermons to!
Anybody want a peanut?

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri May 22, 2020 5:33 pm

fezzik092 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 pm
Creating a youtube channel for my little church to post our sermons to!
We want links when you are done. :)

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 22, 2020 6:32 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm
It's not the way I wanted it, but the shade panel is installed. Instead of the metal hardware I wanted to use, most of it is attached w/ heavy zip ties which deteriorate in time. I'm thinking that as the material loosens up w/ age I will be able to secure it with hardware.

This Coolaroo Commercial 95 material is very durable and has a lifespan of 30 years. And this color blocks about 96% of the ultra violet and infra-red (heat) rays.

That flat roof wouldn't do here at my place. Unless there's a pitch that I'm not seeing in the pic. I'm planning a cover for my boat for the summer and it'll be a pitched roof with a side panel probably.

Meanwhile I've ordered Cypress boards for my shutters, and I'm researching hardware this weekend.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri May 22, 2020 7:12 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:32 pm
Goose55 wrote:

That flat roof wouldn't do here at my place. Unless there's a pitch that I'm not seeing in the pic. I'm planning a cover for my boat for the summer and it'll be a pitched roof with a side panel probably.

Meanwhile I've ordered Cypress boards for my shutters, and I'm researching hardware this weekend.
I feel like a flat roof would do pretty well in Arizona. Not a lot of rain there, ya know.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 22, 2020 7:34 pm

coco wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:12 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I feel like a flat roof would do pretty well in Arizona. Not a lot of rain there, ya know.
No kidding?

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

It's really not a "roof." It's porous shade fabric. Rain just drips through it.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat May 23, 2020 5:22 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

It's really not a "roof." It's porous shade fabric. Rain just drips through it.
I missed that part. I'm looking to do something similar for my boat, motor, and gas tank, which sits on concrete beside the garage. I'll have to look at this material, it sure looks nicer than a blue tarp also.