What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:33 pm

JMG wrote:No before pic, but this was my Papaw's old welding table. It was covered in rust. I spent some time with the angle grinder today and a braided wire wheel. Looking forward to many more years of work with it.

Image
Pretty!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6917
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:39 pm

I almost have the guitar back together, but I am waiting on pots. Nothing is connected so far though.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12099
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Gabriel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:09 pm

Guitar repair here too. Nothing terribly complicated, but Silas and I felt pretty accomplished anyway. :)

The output jack had come loose and the wires has broken off so we soldered them back on. Good times.

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am
Location: The armpit of the midwest

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by AnungUnRama » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:06 am

I think I finally have the Floyd on the Jackson sorted out. It has an EVH D-Tuna and Tremol-No installed and I am beginning to think the two parts are incompatible. Also, I found the resonant frequency of the Tremol-No. It is D. There is a piece of paper between two parts for now until I find something more permanent to keep them from rattling.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Restoring a snow/grader blade for the Cub. Gotta be ready to plow our new long driveway this winter.
Everything is cleaned and primed. The red paint is next and then reassembly. Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am
Location: The armpit of the midwest

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by AnungUnRama » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:25 pm

A buddy of mine and I are going to start a podcast. I am feverishly working on all the background stuff that reasonably needs to be in place prior to begin recording. A few things are complicated by the fact that I live in the country and am reliant on cellular data.

That said, I'll be putting my seldom used Boss BR1600CD recorder to good use now. Got a Rødecaster Pro, AKG P420 mic and Garage Band set up on my Mac. I have to take the Mac somewhere to download a few more things tho. Sadly the Rødecaster won't work on Linux. At least not yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12099
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Gabriel » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:24 pm

This past week my students and I have been working on a matching coat tree and mirror to be sold at our auction in the spring. Solid cherry. So much fun to work with nice looking material.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 2933
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by michigander » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:53 am

AnungUnRama wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:25 pm
A buddy of mine and I are going to start a podcast. I am feverishly working on all the background stuff that reasonably needs to be in place prior to begin recording. A few things are complicated by the fact that I live in the country and am reliant on cellular data.

That said, I'll be putting my seldom used Boss BR1600CD recorder to good use now. Got a Rødecaster Pro, AKG P420 mic and Garage Band set up on my Mac. I have to take the Mac somewhere to download a few more things tho. Sadly the Rødecaster won't work on Linux. At least not yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
What subject matter do you plan to cover? Do you have a name for your Podcast yet?

User avatar
AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am
Location: The armpit of the midwest

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by AnungUnRama » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:58 am

michigander wrote:
AnungUnRama wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:25 pm
A buddy of mine and I are going to start a podcast. I am feverishly working on all the background stuff that reasonably needs to be in place prior to begin recording. A few things are complicated by the fact that I live in the country and am reliant on cellular data.

That said, I'll be putting my seldom used Boss BR1600CD recorder to good use now. Got a Rødecaster Pro, AKG P420 mic and Garage Band set up on my Mac. I have to take the Mac somewhere to download a few more things tho. Sadly the Rødecaster won't work on Linux. At least not yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
What subject matter do you plan to cover? Do you have a name for your Podcast yet?
Following up with former music majors. Find out what they are up to today and how that ties in to their education. Also checking in with people successful in the industry and how they landed there. My friend and I both have music degrees. My profession is not remotely related to music. He is a music therapist.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 10553
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:10 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:24 pm
This past week my students and I have been working on a matching coat tree and mirror to be sold at our auction in the spring. Solid cherry. So much fun to work with nice looking material.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
We still need a "Like" button

Until then..... LIKE
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 6969
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:34 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:24 pm
This past week my students and I have been working on a matching coat tree and mirror to be sold at our auction in the spring. Solid cherry. So much fun to work with nice looking material.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Really nice looking stuff. Those kids are getting some incredibly valuable life skills in more ways than one.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 31621
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by coco » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:23 pm

We are getting a 3D printer for Christmas. In preparation for its arrival, I used one of my Raspberry Pi's and a $9 Chinese camera to make a little print server. It will allow me to do anything I might need to do to the printer from anywhere. Using the camera, I can see what the printer is doing or create a time-lapse video of the printing process. Also, a plugin called "The Spaghetti Detective" can continuously monitor every print to detect if something goes wrong via machine learning. If something looks amiss, it will pause the print and use a cellphone app to ask me if I want to continue.

Image
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:48 pm

The International Lo-Boy needed a new gasket on the sediment bowl and a carb rebuild.
All the parts I needed were available at Tractor Supply until I actually went to do the work...
The carburetor was a Zenith replacement so the IH parts don't fit. Not a bad carb, just not the same as the IH original. Just my dumb luck!
If that wasn't enough, the freaking bale wire for the sediment bowl just fell apart as it hung there. I kid you not, I heard two pings as the two pieces hit the bell housing. It had hung there all night and fell apart the next day without me touching it. Not a bit of tension on it either.
Now I wait for the parts I had to order on eBay. It gives the parts plenty of time to sit in carb cleaner though.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers
Posts: 11330
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:37 pm

A VERY, VERY stubbornly oxidized Stanwell Vulcanite stem. Here it is before I did anything to it. It was worth restoring as there were no teeth marks and the stem button is nice and crisp. Will show after pics, once it has soaked overnight in Obsidian Oil.

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Benton629
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:51 pm
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Benton629 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Putting an oil finish on the handles of 2 axes, a hatchet, a weed cutter, and a file .

User avatar
FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool
Posts: 24238
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:47 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:48 pm
The International Lo-Boy needed a new gasket on the sediment bowl and a carb rebuild.
All the parts I needed were available at Tractor Supply until I actually went to do the work...
The carburetor was a Zenith replacement so the IH parts don't fit. Not a bad carb, just not the same as the IH original. Just my dumb luck!
If that wasn't enough, the freaking bale wire for the sediment bowl just fell apart as it hung there. I kid you not, I heard two pings as the two pieces hit the bell housing. It had hung there all night and fell apart the next day without me touching it. Not a bit of tension on it either.
Now I wait for the parts I had to order on eBay. It gives the parts plenty of time to sit in carb cleaner though.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
You know you've got a pretty solid machine if there's still a thriving parts market 60 after she was built. I learned to drive a tractor on an IH Farmall B and I still have a soft spot for red tractors. I'm sure there are clubs and forums for IH Lo-Boy owners. I'm also sure you'd be the youngest in the group if you joined up.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 6969
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:07 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:23 pm
We are getting a 3D printer for Christmas. In preparation for its arrival, I used one of my Raspberry Pi's and a $9 Chinese camera to make a little print server. It will allow me to do anything I might need to do to the printer from anywhere. Using the camera, I can see what the printer is doing or create a time-lapse video of the printing process. Also, a plugin called "The Spaghetti Detective" can continuously monitor every print to detect if something goes wrong via machine learning. If something looks amiss, it will pause the print and use a cellphone app to ask me if I want to continue.

Image
This is smart people stuff.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:20 pm

FredS wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:48 pm
The International Lo-Boy needed a new gasket on the sediment bowl and a carb rebuild.
All the parts I needed were available at Tractor Supply until I actually went to do the work...
The carburetor was a Zenith replacement so the IH parts don't fit. Not a bad carb, just not the same as the IH original. Just my dumb luck!
If that wasn't enough, the freaking bale wire for the sediment bowl just fell apart as it hung there. I kid you not, I heard two pings as the two pieces hit the bell housing. It had hung there all night and fell apart the next day without me touching it. Not a bit of tension on it either.
Now I wait for the parts I had to order on eBay. It gives the parts plenty of time to sit in carb cleaner though.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
You know you've got a pretty solid machine if there's still a thriving parts market 60 after she was built. I learned to drive a tractor on an IH Farmall B and I still have a soft spot for red tractors. I'm sure there are clubs and forums for IH Lo-Boy owners. I'm also sure you'd be the youngest in the group if you joined up.
There are plenty of parts, new and original. There are also forums with lots of info.
We were always a red tractor farm growing up except for a John Deere 50 and an A. If I had more space I'd look at bigger models, but right now I like the Cubs.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers
Posts: 11330
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:37 pm
A VERY, VERY stubbornly oxidized Stanwell Vulcanite stem. It was worth restoring as there were no teeth marks and the stem button is nice and crisp. Here are the before and after pics, ....

Image
Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 6969
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:43 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:37 pm
A VERY, VERY stubbornly oxidized Stanwell Vulcanite stem. It was worth restoring as there were no teeth marks and the stem button is nice and crisp. Here are the before and after pics, ....

Image
Image
I'd say that'll do just fine.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Post Reply