What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:29 am

JMG wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:22 pm
Raise your hand if you've ever built or rebuilt anything on an upturned 5 gallon bucket because it was easier then clearing a spot on your workbench. :joy:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:48 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:29 am
JMG wrote:
Raise your hand if you've ever built or rebuilt anything on an upturned 5 gallon bucket because it was easier then clearing a spot on your workbench. :joy:
That was 100% the case in this particular instance.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:47 am

JMG wrote:
FredS wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:29 am
JMG wrote:
That was 100% the case in this particular instance.
My hand is up. I have an old wooden ironing board I use as an axillary bench. A sheet of cardboard on the garage floor is another option I use regularly.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:50 pm

joegoat wrote:
joegoat wrote:I'm getting this 1962 Gravely LI back in action. The seller found it in the shed when they bought the house. The price was very right for such a clean machine. It really looks well taken care of under all the dust.Image

I like to go through these things, check for issues, make sure there are no impending failures, and replace anything needed to make it a reliable machine. I scraped a great deal of the caked on dirt and grease off the transmission and cylinder cooling fins. The oil bath air cleaner has been thoroughly cleaned. The head was taken off and the carbon buildup has been removed. Valve lash has been set. Magneto timing has been set. The fan belt, spark plug, spark plugs wire, and muffler are replaced. Multiple moving parts have been cleaned and lubed. Time to call it a day.
Tomorrow the carburetor needs rebuilt, the sediment bowl needs cleaning and new seals the oil needs replaced and hopefully the new tubes and tires get delivered so I can take it off blocks.
This is a very well maintained tractor.

The beast lives! I fired her up this evening. Today I rebuilt the carburetor and changed the oil. The head came back off because I was getting air from the intake on the compression stroke. Glad I checked that before I blew the carburetor apart. A piece of something got stuck under the valve. The original Tillotson sediment bowl pissed gas everywhere so I made a generic sediment bowl work until I can get the original rebuilt.
She runs great. I mounted a 30" brush hog and mowed some high spots in the yard this evening.
I plan to mount a set of dual ag tires on one of these tractors with a 30" brush hog to mow the banks around our house. They're a bear to mow with a push mower.
This tractor did pretty good with a single set of worn out turf tires. The dual ag tires should make a big difference.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:22 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:50 pm
joegoat wrote:
joegoat wrote:I'm getting this 1962 Gravely LI back in action. The seller found it in the shed when they bought the house. The price was very right for such a clean machine. It really looks well taken care of under all the dust.Image

I like to go through these things, check for issues, make sure there are no impending failures, and replace anything needed to make it a reliable machine. I scraped a great deal of the caked on dirt and grease off the transmission and cylinder cooling fins. The oil bath air cleaner has been thoroughly cleaned. The head was taken off and the carbon buildup has been removed. Valve lash has been set. Magneto timing has been set. The fan belt, spark plug, spark plugs wire, and muffler are replaced. Multiple moving parts have been cleaned and lubed. Time to call it a day.
Tomorrow the carburetor needs rebuilt, the sediment bowl needs cleaning and new seals the oil needs replaced and hopefully the new tubes and tires get delivered so I can take it off blocks.
This is a very well maintained tractor.

The beast lives! I fired her up this evening. Today I rebuilt the carburetor and changed the oil. The head came back off because I was getting air from the intake on the compression stroke. Glad I checked that before I blew the carburetor apart. A piece of something got stuck under the valve. The original Tillotson sediment bowl pissed gas everywhere so I made a generic sediment bowl work until I can get the original rebuilt.
She runs great. I mounted a 30" brush hog and mowed some high spots in the yard this evening.
I plan to mount a set of dual ag tires on one of these tractors with a 30" brush hog to mow the banks around our house. They're a bear to mow with a push mower.
This tractor did pretty good with a single set of worn out turf tires. The dual ag tires should make a big difference.

Oh yeah!

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:06 pm

I'm cleaning up the yard today. I have everything from the lower and middle yards in piles, ready for pickup. I filled in a washed out area in the lane. Hopefully my clevis pins show up today to I can get the belly mower fully mounted on the Lo-Boy.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:08 pm

3 hole oill change on my 107" moped. I use Amsoil in case, primary and transmission.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:36 pm

joegoat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:06 pm
Hopefully my clevis pins show up today to I can get the belly mower fully mounted on the Lo-Boy..
This is a funny sentence.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:33 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:36 pm
joegoat wrote:
Hopefully my clevis pins show up today to I can get the belly mower fully mounted on the Lo-Boy..
:chili:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 pm

FredS wrote:
JMG wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:36 pm
joegoat wrote:
:chili:
Should have proof read that one. My clevis pins did not arrive ...

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm

She's got a new pair of shoes! The 30 inch brush hog was mounted in this picture, but I think this unit will run the rotary plow and then the tiller. It has an oil bath air filter which is better suited to mostly level work. The other LI has a paper filter so mowing banks should be a better fit. Image

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:23 pm

Learning a new work related platform where the group of the new work related platform is eagerly awaiting my arrival post training and testing and oral boards.

Boy howdy, are they gonna be:

1. disappointed
2. amazed
3. repulsed
4. thinking I'm an evilgoose sock puppet

I still like my job quite a bit. I take advantage of the fearful teammates. It's how I get good intel.
DL Jake

Don't you mean Mac Blowtorch? - Jocose

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 pm

joegoat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm
She's got a new pair of shoes! The 30 inch brush hog was mounted in this picture, but I think this unit will run the rotary plow and then the tiller. It has an oil bath air filter which is better suited to mostly level work. The other LI has a paper filter so mowing banks should be a better fit. Image

Man, I grew up running pretty much that same machine, with that same cutter on it. I can hear and feel that pic.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 pm

One day I hope to be rich enough that I don't have to take side jobs. Until then, I'm trying to be thankful for side jobs. More cabinet work...

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:21 pm

Just changed the oil on the jeep in the driveway.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm

JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:

Man, I grew up running pretty much that same machine, with that same cutter on it. I can hear and feel that pic.
Funny how that stuff sticks in your mind. The Geavely T head running paired with the smell of fresh cut grass brought back fine memories for me. The way I felt the next day after mowing a hillside also brought back memories, not so fond.
Did you have to turn the PTO with your foot or did you have the fancy handle by the throttle? The one on the farm was the foot activated type.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:33 pm

JMG wrote:One day I hope to be rich enough that I don't have to take side jobs. Until then, I'm trying to be thankful for side jobs. More cabinet work...

You do fine work! This world needs craftsmen like you. The LORD understands any frustrations wood working brings. He was a carpenter after all.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:59 pm

joegoat wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm
JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:

Funny how that stuff sticks in your mind. The Geavely T head running paired with the smell of fresh cut grass brought back fine memories for me. The way I felt the next day after mowing a hillside also brought back memories, not so fond.
Did you have to turn the PTO with your foot or did you have the fancy handle by the throttle? The one on the farm was the foot activated type.

We were fancy pants with the handle.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Disaster! I tried changing the muffler one of the Gravelys. It was rusted out and the minimal muffling it did have is nearly gone. As per usual, the exhaust manifolds bolts were rusted and stuck hard. I decided to cut the muffler off with the manifold still attached.
A couple of cycles from the sawzall proved the previous owner's brazing job to be less than adequate. He had threaded the three inch pipe nipple into the manifold maybe one full turn and blobbed some brazing on it for good luck. The pipe nipple broke right off of the manifold. Now at a minimum I need an exhaust manifold and a pipe nipple, but the manifold is still attached to the head. I snapped both bolt heads off in a vain attempt to remove them. Luckily they snapped at the head so I still had the shanks to work with. I got one out. The other remains stuck, soaking in PB Blaster. I'll have to tear a bit apart for better access for surgery.
I love the challenge old stuff brings.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:30 pm

JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm
JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:

We were fancy pants with the handle.
They're nice!