What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:26 pm
sweetandsour wrote:Besides income tax (still), and a special loan/grant (still), I'm trying to straighten the shaft on my mower, which got bent when I ran over a large rock a few weeks ago. I put on a new blade, after locating the high spot in the shaft and giving it a couple good whacks with a sledge hammer, but there's still too much vibration.
You'll never get it straightened. Sorry to say... Push mower?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.
Yepp, push mower. A couple whacks with a sledge made it better, but still could use another hit I think. You thinking I may just have to live with it? I don't think I want to tackle replacing a shaft.
Unless it's a top of the line push mower that you paid big bucks for, the cost of replacing the shaft probably isn't worth it. Try to get it as straight as you can and just know you're on borrowed time with that mower. The vibration is going to shorten the engine life. Most push mowers are disposable unfortunately.
I'm shocked at the longevity of the Walmart Murray mower we have. We mowed about three quarters of an acre with it for five years. I changed the oil every year, but nothing else. We bought a Craftsman push mower when we moved so we didn't have to haul it back and forth while we got the old house ready to sell.
I changed the oil in both this year and noticed a tiny hole in the deck of the Walmart mower. That's where they fail. Just about all push mowers seem to be powered by a Briggs and Stratton these days. Those are darn fine engines, but the thin, stamped decks all rot out. I've tried painting them with used motor oil regularly, but they just don't last. I hate having a good motor sitting on a cheap deck. Maybe I'll put a new deck on it when it finally craps out.
We had a Lawnboy at the farmhouse. It had a cast aluminum deck and was a 2 cycle self propelled machine. I bet it cost a pretty penny, but as far as I know it's still around. My only complaint was it clogged up the tiny outlet if the grass was long or wet. Mixing gas for it was a pain too. A one gallon can didn't last long.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:16 pm

A couple of 1972 Corvette Hot Wheels baby mods.
DL Jake

You should see if they can recalibrate your internal clock forward a month. - Cleon

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:05 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:Besides income tax (still), and a special loan/grant (still), I'm trying to straighten the shaft on my mower, which got bent when I ran over a large rock a few weeks ago. I put on a new blade, after locating the high spot in the shaft and giving it a couple good whacks with a sledge hammer, but there's still too much vibration.

Yepp, push mower. A couple whacks with a sledge made it better, but still could use another hit I think. You thinking I may just have to live with it? I don't think I want to tackle replacing a shaft.
Unless it's a top of the line push mower that you paid big bucks for, the cost of replacing the shaft probably isn't worth it. Try to get it as straight as you can and just know you're on borrowed time with that mower. The vibration is going to shorten the engine life. Most push mowers are disposable unfortunately.
I'm shocked at the longevity of the Walmart Murray mower we have. We mowed about three quarters of an acre with it for five years. I changed the oil every year, but nothing else. We bought a Craftsman push mower when we moved so we didn't have to haul it back and forth while we got the old house ready to sell.
I changed the oil in both this year and noticed a tiny hole in the deck of the Walmart mower. That's where they fail. Just about all push mowers seem to be powered by a Briggs and Stratton these days. Those are darn fine engines, but the thin, stamped decks all rot out. I've tried painting them with used motor oil regularly, but they just don't last. I hate having a good motor sitting on a cheap deck. Maybe I'll put a new deck on it when it finally craps out.
We had a Lawnboy at the farmhouse. It had a cast aluminum deck and was a 2 cycle self propelled machine. I bet it cost a pretty penny, but as far as I know it's still around. My only complaint was it clogged up the tiny outlet if the grass was long or wet. Mixing gas for it was a pain too. A one gallon can didn't last long.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, straighten it best I can and see how long it lasts.
+1 re decks. I have an old John Deere riding mower, all still good except the deck, which I've welded on so many times that there's not much left to weld. I hate spending money on mowers.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:41 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, straighten it best I can and see how long it lasts.
+1 re decks. I have an old John Deere riding mower, all still good except the deck, which I've welded on so many times that there's not much left to weld. I hate spending money on mowers.
The environmental impact of mowers isn't burning gasoline, it's throwing one away every five years and buying a brand new one. Same goes for everything. I hate the disposability of everything these days! Good luck on your tweaking. Auto correct made that into twerking.... Good luck on that too.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:32 pm

Forecast calls for a low of 25 tomorrow night. This comes at an inopportune time for Mrs. R's cherry and apple crop. We set up 55 gallon drums full of wood we will burn trying to save some of the crop. They are also calling for 1 to 2 inches of snow which if so are efforts are probably futile.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:46 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:32 pm
Forecast calls for a low of 25 tomorrow night. This comes at an inopportune time for Mrs. R's cherry and apple crop. We set up 55 gallon drums full of wood we will burn trying to save some of the crop. They are also calling for 1 to 2 inches of snow which if so are efforts are probably futile.
Prayers and best wishes for your crop.

Our two pear trees bloomed and one had tiny pears last month when the ice and snow came to SE TX. Both trees now are full of leaves, but one has no pears, and the other has just a couple pears.

These posts could go in the 2021 garden thread.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 am

joegoat wrote:

I have had pretty good luck straightening them by talking the engine off and putting the shaft on a piece of railroad track and hitting it with a hammer.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:52 pm

The Gravely model C Super Convertible is coming together. I ran out of paint... Mrs. Joegoat is picking up a can on her way home from work so hopefully I can get the handlebars and control rods painted and installed tonight or tomorrow. Nothing like making something old new again.Image

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:52 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:52 pm
The Gravely model C Super Convertible is coming together. I ran out of paint... Mrs. Joegoat is picking up a can on her way home from work so hopefully I can get the handlebars and control rods painted and installed tonight or tomorrow. Nothing like making something old new again.Image

Man, that is one handsome machine.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:54 pm

Finally got my ground broke up for this year's garden. I'll let it sit for a few days to let the grass die and then start tilling and rowing it up. Need to get the electric fence up soon too.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm

JMG wrote:Finally got my ground broke up for this year's garden. I'll let it sit for a few days to let the grass die and then start tilling and rowing it up. Need to get the electric fence up soon too.

That is a heck of a garden!

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:32 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm
JMG wrote:Finally got my ground broke up for this year's garden. I'll let it sit for a few days to let the grass die and then start tilling and rowing it up. Need to get the electric fence up soon too.

Growing up we had 3 or 4 this size going every year.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:38 pm

JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:52 pm

Man, that is one handsome machine.
Even better looking now. I got it to run for a few seconds at a time, but kept cutting out. A project for another day. I'm tired of pulling the strap.Image

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm

JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm

Growing up we had 3 or 4 this size going every year.
My gosh! There are people who call themselves farmers and work less land than that.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:58 pm

I'm not a skilled woodworker by any means, but this little trim work should not have given me too much trouble. As it was, though, it was a frustrating turd for some reason.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:26 pm

Got some paint on the walls today. This is one of the offices of three. I split two into three. Carpet guy should be coming tomorrow. Then I'll just finish up the paint, put some face plates on the electrical, put the cove mold down and it will be wrapped up. Oh, and I need to install the glass on the door once it comes in. Ready to finish this project up.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 pm

Anyone have any ideas where to locate an old-looking brass ferrule for an old bamboo fishing rod? And how to remove the old broken one off of the rod?

G. K. Chesterton

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:22 am

Making a jointer's mallet.
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:37 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 pm
Anyone have any ideas where to locate an old-looking brass ferrule for an old bamboo fishing rod?
Take a look at Mudhole and Proof Fly Fishing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:22 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:37 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 pm
Anyone have any ideas where to locate an old-looking brass ferrule for an old bamboo fishing rod?
Take a look at Mudhole and Proof Fly Fishing.
Thanks. I had briefly looked at the Mudhole site. I presume finding a replacement brass ferrule that will have the weathered, oxidized look will be practically impossible. And the more I see what's involved, and think about it, I may just look at adapting a brass sleeve that slides over the broken female ferrule. The old ferrule will have to be gently heated, and perhaps wrapping undone to reveal any tabs.

G. K. Chesterton