What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:43 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:22 am
FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:37 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 pm
Anyone have any ideas where to locate an old-looking brass ferrule for an old bamboo fishing rod?
Take a look at Mudhole and Proof Fly Fishing.
Thanks. I had briefly looked at the Mudhole site. I presume finding a replacement brass ferrule that will have the weathered, oxidized look will be practically impossible. And the more I see what's involved, and think about it, I may just look at adapting a brass sleeve that slides over the broken female ferrule. The old ferrule will have to be gently heated, and perhaps wrapping undone to reveal any tabs.
I'm sure it's a finicky operation, even if you can find an exact replacement, which is unlikely. You'll surely have to buy a set to replace both the male and female bits, then sand down or build up your rod sections to fit. Once that's done, you can brush on some chemicals (Miracle-Grow and vinegar) to get the patina.

For a patch, it's easy enough to buy some brass shim stock (.015" or so?) and roll and braze/solder a sleeve around the female side. You could get fancy and roll a ring of brass rod/wire to fit the outboard end and solder it on to the sleeve to make it look finished. I wouldn't fish with that sort of repair though.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:25 am

For care of my Ram Cummins Diesel,...

I recently ordered another case of six 1/2 gallon containers of Lucas Cetane Power Booster and another 32 ounce bottle of Diesel Sta-Bil. I use the Sta-Bil all the time, at a lesser ratio of only one ounce for every 10 gallons of fuel. I may up that ratio a bit this summer to keep the fuel fresh,... as I drive much less during summer.

I also make it a practice to always keep the tank as full as possible, so there is less air in the tank to prevent condensation. I never let the tank go below 3/4 full.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:42 am

How many miles do you have on that unit now?

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Not sure if this is kosher so I thought I'd ask here:
My 1/3 hp GE grinder's power cord is badly dried out, checked and deteriorated.
Being a 2 prong, I wanted to replace it with a grounded three prong.
The power cord is hard wired inside a small switch box attached to the motor.
There is no room inside the box for the ground wire and the power cord is too thick to fit in the opening where the cord enters the box, so I cut back the outer rubber cover, connected the white and black wires to the switch and ran the green ground wire outside the switch box and connected it to one of the screws that hold the switch box to the motor.
Kosher or not kosher?
Better than a 2 prong or should I look for a 2 prong cord?
:confused:
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:30 pm
There is no room inside the box for the ground wire and the power cord is too thick to fit in the opening where the cord enters the box, so I cut back the outer rubber cover, connected the white and black wires to the switch and ran the green ground wire outside the switch box and connected it to one of the screws that hold the switch box to the motor.
Kosher or not kosher?
My short answer is I don't know. But I was curious and found this via a quick search, fwiw.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... p?t=195115
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:56 pm

The whole purpose of that ground wire is to carry the voltage that would shock you, in the case of an internal short, to the ground along a path of lesser resistance than going through you. I wouldn't have bothered hooking the ground to anything unless you're holding it by a part that is not well insulated from the tools electric system. I would have cut the ground wire, put a piece of heat shrink over the end and just let it hang inside the case. If a two prong cord is cheaper, go that route. The ground wire doesn't make it any safer I. My opinion.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:06 pm

joegoat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:56 pm
The whole purpose of that ground wire is to carry the voltage that would shock you, in the case of an internal short, to the ground along a path of lesser resistance than going through you. I wouldn't have bothered hooking the ground to anything unless you're holding it by a part that is not well insulated from the tools electric system. I would have cut the ground wire, put a piece of heat shrink over the end and just let it hang inside the case. If a two prong cord is cheaper, go that route. The ground wire doesn't make it any safer I. My opinion.

Yeah, I would probably leave it two prong if it was me. This is not advice; I'm just saying if it was me.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:08 pm

Lots of information to digest here. :egor:

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:32 pm

Rowed the garden on Friday because we had a big rain coming. I'll probably disc it back up a time or two more and then row it again before planting. I need to hurry up and get some seed in the ground.

Trying to get the Gravley 5260 going. Not nearly as cool as Joey's, but hoping she'll at least cooperate and start purring so I can get some work done.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:55 pm

JMG wrote:Rowed the garden on Friday because we had a big rain coming. I'll probably disc it back up a time or two more and then row it again before planting. I need to hurry up and get some seed in the ground.

Trying to get the Gravley 5260 going. Not nearly as cool as Joey's, but hoping she'll at least cooperate and start purring so I can get some work done.

The 5000 series are nice machines. I love the old Kohler motors. They're nearly bomb proof. The parts are also cheaper and more available than the venerable Gravely T head. The later T heads had full high pressure oil systems. The Kohlers were always splash. Working on hilly ground is better suited to a T head, but there is nothing wrong with the 5000 series for everything else. The engine was really the only change from the L and C models. There is a 5260 in my area that just went up for sale for what is possibly a pretty good price. I may take a peak at it tomorrow.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:03 am

I put a two prong cord on the venerable GE and calling it good

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Kosher or not kosher?
Probably better than a 2 prong, though grounding is not required if the motor is "double insulated." The important thing is to have a ground when there is a metal casing or motor housing that can potentially be electrified by a short.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:24 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:14 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Kosher or not kosher?
Probably better than a 2 prong, though grounding is not required if the motor is "double insulated." The important thing is to have a ground when there is a metal casing or motor housing that can potentially be electrified by a short.
Maybe I read this wrong. I presumed his 1/3 hp GE grinder is a metal cased bench/pedestal grinder, not a double insulated (plastic) hand-held model. My presumption was based mostly on the description of the old and brittle 2-wire cord and a 'switch box'. If that's the case, grounding the metal box or housing isn't a bad idea.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:23 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:24 pm
coco wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:14 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Kosher or not kosher?
Maybe I read this wrong. I presumed his 1/3 hp GE grinder is a metal cased bench/pedestal grinder, not a double insulated (plastic) hand-held model. My presumption was based mostly on the description of the old and brittle 2-wire cord and a 'switch box'. If that's the case, grounding the metal box or housing isn't a bad idea.
It is possible for a bench model to be plastic/double-insulated/MadeInChina/HarborFreight. FWW, I'm picturing an old grinder that was made before grounding was popular.

Grounding a metal case can only help, it cannot hurt.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:10 pm

Picked up a Gravely tool holder today. It is basically a forward mounted, fixed tine cultivator. I had bought some stuff from this guy before so the fact that I'm still waiting on my CCW permit renewal wasn't a huge deal. The unit is in great shape and the guy even threw in a sulky for free. I now have the parts I need to make one good sulky one from two parts units. That's tomorrow's project.
I also cleaned out and applied stove black to the wood stove, ran the Gravely rototiller through the garden again, picked dandelions, and spent the past three hours on the porch with Mrs. Joegoat picking the pedals off for a batch of dandelion wine. We're only half done... Good day though.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Sun May 02, 2021 10:24 pm

I have learned both solos to All Along the Watchtower.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:20 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:24 pm
I have learned both solos to All Along the Watchtower.
Jimi Hendrix
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Tue May 04, 2021 4:22 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:10 pm
Picked up a Gravely tool holder today. It is basically a forward mounted, fixed tine cultivator. I had bought some stuff from this guy before so the fact that I'm still waiting on my CCW permit renewal wasn't a huge deal. The unit is in great shape and the guy even threw in a sulky for free. I now have the parts I need to make one good sulky one from two parts units. That's tomorrow's project.
I also cleaned out and applied stove black to the wood stove, ran the Gravely rototiller through the garden again, picked dandelions, and spent the past three hours on the porch with Mrs. Joegoat picking the pedals off for a batch of dandelion wine. We're only half done... Good day though.

I’m all over the place.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm on a Pack Rat hunt. They destroyed the insulation on one of my trucks batteries, and have also begun to chew up the hood insulation panel, which I'm now going to have to replace.

Every night I am putting out two enormous rat traps with Laura Scudders Natural Peanut Butter. Dispatched one large one last week, possibly pregnant. Another one never came home last night. Feel sorry for the little fellows but I can't foot the bill on repairing the damage they are doing.

Mick
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

What Are You Working On?

Post by Mick » Tue May 04, 2021 7:38 pm

Working on some Jefferson Ocean whiskey with a Macanudo cigar tonight!
Well deserved though.
Today’s agenda was to tear down, clean& refit, and re-assemble a compressor for a large walk-in cooler.
Cooler was a home-built job from the early 60’s
Still all original equipment.
The grandfather built it, the grandson still runs the produce farm.
It was a rough day to get it all done, but I’m glad to say that, with a new set of gaskets and a fresh charge of freeze-juice, the old girl is purring like a kitten, working just as well as ever, and ready for tomato season in a few short weeks.
I love being able to do work like that, where most “technicians” would just sell a new one. It will be a shame when she finally goes though, whatever new one goes in her place won’t last half as long.
They truly don’t make them like they used to.

*stock photo, I forgot to take pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy! - Jeremy Myers