What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by sweetandsour » Sun May 23, 2021 9:46 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:57 pm
BeefyG wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:22 pm
Just finished the picnic table. The boy is better at driving screws than I ever was at his age. Whoever listed the project as a $95 and 4 hour project obviously did not account for today’s lumber prices or working with a 10 year old kid with ADHD.
My son helped me build a few tables----one 8' picnic and six 4' diameter banquet style folders.
I had him sign each one under the table top like a craftsman should.
The picnic table has done fifteen plus years outdoors and needs replacing as it's badly warped.
I kind of hate to take it apart.
We haven't owned a picnic table in many years; but the last one we had was made from redwood, and lasted a very long time. We once went camping in some very wet, cold weather, in a public campground, and almost ran out of fire wood. I was noticing that the picnic table there, chained to a metal stake in the ground, was pretty old, and my wife read my mind. "Don't even think about using that table for fire wood", she said.
"I wouldn't think of it", I replied.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 24, 2021 9:41 am

We have a picnic table that came with the cabin...it weighs a ton...it lives on the deck at the cabin Its made of Pine and has un attached benches. I use as a fly tying bench mostly
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon May 24, 2021 6:35 pm

Mrs. Joegoat and I took Old Blue into town this evening. She didn't fail us. The rubber fuel line that had a couple bite marks had started leaking so we made a pit stop at the auto parts store and changed that in the parking lot. On the way home I noticed some stumbling at higher RPM's so I adjusted the timing a smidge when we got home. The problem seems to be cleared up now, but only a test drive will tell.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Mon May 24, 2021 9:55 pm

I should have had this pantry thing finished over a month ago. As it is, I'm still not done. I need to cut and paint the shelves and make the door for the top and paint it. I drilled out the shelf peg holes tonight. I've been pretty dang sick for over a week now. Just can't make myself get out there and get it done.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon May 24, 2021 11:46 pm

JMG wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:55 pm
I should have had this pantry thing finished over a month ago. As it is, I'm still not done. I need to cut and paint the shelves and make the door for the top and paint it. I drilled out the shelf peg holes tonight. I've been pretty dang sick for over a week now. Just can't make myself get out there and get it done.

Go to one of those small clinics and get a shot, and maybe some antibiotics too, and knock that stuff out. If they give you Robitussin just put it on a shelf somewhere and mix yourself some honey, lemon juice and rye whiskey instead, and take just a few tablespoons a day.
Some folks swear by peppermint schnapps, too, but the rye-honey-lemon juice mix always works for me.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue May 25, 2021 5:38 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:46 pm
JMG wrote:

Go to one of those small clinics and get a shot, and maybe some antibiotics too, and knock that stuff out. If they give you Robitussin just put it on a shelf somewhere and mix yourself some honey, lemon juice and rye whiskey instead, and take just a few tablespoons a day.
Some folks swear by peppermint schnapps, too, but the rye-honey-lemon juice mix always works for me.
I went last Saturday and got a shot and some meds. This stuff is just hanging on. All my kids and my wife got it as well a couple weeks before me. All of them still have a bit of a cough nearly three weeks later. I think after a year of mask wearing everyone's immune systems just aren't up for all the normal yearly stuff.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue May 25, 2021 5:44 am

JMG wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
JMG wrote:

I went last Saturday and got a shot and some meds. This stuff is just hanging on. All my kids and my wife got it as well a couple weeks before me. All of them still have a bit of a cough nearly three weeks later. I think after a year of mask wearing everyone's immune systems just aren't up for all the normal yearly stuff.
You're the type of man that hates having work to do and not having the energy to do it. I feel for you. Hoping y'all kick it quick.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue May 25, 2021 6:29 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:44 am
JMG wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
JMG wrote:

You're the type of man that hates having work to do and not having the energy to do it. I feel for you. Hoping y'all kick it quick.

Energy, time, or money...it’s always one of those.

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Tue May 25, 2021 6:43 am

I'm on the quest for a hand planer. I have a wee little one I got for knocking stuff off edges of 1x?'s but I'm thinking I need to get a real one. I would probably need to get a used one to clean up. Recommendations?
Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue May 25, 2021 9:46 am

AnungUnRama wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:43 am
I'm on the quest for a hand planer. I have a wee little one I got for knocking stuff off edges of 1x?'s but I'm thinking I need to get a real one. I would probably need to get a used one to clean up. Recommendations?
A #4 or #5 Stanley Bailey with a flat---not corrugated--- bottom. Plenty of them were made so they are fairly common and easier to find parts for than other brands.
Old planes are quick and easy to clean up if you have a bench grinder and wire wheel
Last edited by Hovannes on Tue May 25, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue May 25, 2021 4:37 pm

JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:44 am
JMG wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
JMG wrote:

Energy, time, or money...it’s always one of those.
Yup.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue May 25, 2021 5:23 pm

Nearly finished with a jointer's mallet using the wrong species of wood but it's what I had on hand. I just finished rough cutting the 7? deg. angles of the striking surfaces and need to dress them smooth. It's more for practice.
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue May 25, 2021 10:26 pm

Trimmed my Mamaw's 70 year old Hydrangeas today to show off the flowers a bit better.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed May 26, 2021 11:22 am

JMG wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:26 pm
Trimmed my Mamaw's 70 year old Hydrangeas today to show off the flowers a bit better.

Purdy!
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed May 26, 2021 10:06 pm

I have learned all of All Along the Watchtower except the second phrase of the lead played over the verses.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu May 27, 2021 12:17 pm

Day 2 of cleaning out the shed.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Thu May 27, 2021 6:47 pm

I got the John Deere A in the garage. The exhaust and intake stacks had to come off to fit through the door, but she's in and I pulled the carburetor off for a rebuild. I have a fuel line to fabricate, the oil bath air cleaner is full of sludge, the fluids need changed, everything needs a good lube and once she's up and running again, a good bath will be in order.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu May 27, 2021 8:09 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:17 pm
Day 2 of cleaning out the shed.
Filled a 20 yard dumpster with junk. Next is take old paint and chemicals to get recycled.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Fri May 28, 2021 4:49 pm

Stopped by the auto parts store on the way home from work to get pieces to fabricate a new fuel line for the John Deere A. No luck at all. I had better luck in the plumbing section of Lowes. A piece of 1/4 inch copper line and brass compression fittings will look pretty stinking close to the original at a fraction of the cost. The only problem is, the original copper tube was thick wall and all I could find was thin wall so it will bend easy if I'm not careful around it.

Mick
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Mick » Fri May 28, 2021 4:59 pm

joegoat wrote:Stopped by the auto parts store on the way home from work to get pieces to fabricate a new fuel line for the John Deere A. No luck at all. I had better luck in the plumbing section of Lowes. A piece of 1/4 inch copper line and brass compression fittings will look pretty stinking close to the original at a fraction of the cost. The only problem is, the original copper tube was thick wall and all I could find was thin wall so it will bend easy if I'm not careful around it.

Try a plumbing or HVAC supplier. They should have something like that, and probably a better selection of fittings as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy! - Jeremy Myers