What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Fri May 28, 2021 5:12 pm

FINALLY got seed in the ground today. It sure was something special for me to watch my girls out in the same garden I worked in at their age (and younger). I'm going to have to bust up the top 3 or 4 rows up some more. For some reason that spot is holding water and things are still too clumpy. I wish I had a rototiller for the tractor. Once I get it disced up better I'm going to use the Gravely with the plow and work some wider rows to plant watermelons and cantaloupe...hopefully tomorrow. Right now, I've got three rows of sweet corn, one row of field corn, four rows of purple hull peas, half row of squash, half row of okra. I'm probably going to plant just a single row of butter beans to eat off of and not put away. And maybe a half row of bell peppers and the other half in zucchini or eggplant. I'll pick that seed up tomorrow.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Fri May 28, 2021 5:28 pm

JMG wrote:FINALLY got seed in the ground today. It sure was something special for me to watch my girls out in the same garden I worked in at their age (and younger). I'm going to have to bust up the top 3 or 4 rows up some more. For some reason that spot is holding water and things are still too clumpy. I wish I had a rototiller for the tractor. Once I get it disced up better I'm going to use the Gravely with the plow and work some wider rows to plant watermelons and cantaloupe...hopefully tomorrow. Right now, I've got three rows of sweet corn, one row of field corn, four rows of purple hull peas, half row of squash, half row of okra. I'm probably going to plant just a single row of butter beans to eat off of and not put away. And maybe a half row of bell peppers and the other half in zucchini or eggplant. I'll pick that seed up tomorrow.

Nice!

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Fri May 28, 2021 5:28 pm

Mick wrote:
joegoat wrote:Stopped by the auto parts store on the way home from work to get pieces to fabricate a new fuel line for the John Deere A. No luck at all. I had better luck in the plumbing section of Lowes. A piece of 1/4 inch copper line and brass compression fittings will look pretty stinking close to the original at a fraction of the cost. The only problem is, the original copper tube was thick wall and all I could find was thin wall so it will bend easy if I'm not careful around it.

Try a plumbing or HVAC supplier. They should have something like that, and probably a better selection of fittings as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea!

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 28, 2021 6:26 pm

JMG wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:12 pm
FINALLY got seed in the ground today. It sure was something special for me to watch my girls out in the same garden I worked in at their age (and younger). I'm going to have to bust up the top 3 or 4 rows up some more. For some reason that spot is holding water and things are still too clumpy. I wish I had a rototiller for the tractor. Once I get it disced up better I'm going to use the Gravely with the plow and work some wider rows to plant watermelons and cantaloupe...hopefully tomorrow. Right now, I've got three rows of sweet corn, one row of field corn, four rows of purple hull peas, half row of squash, half row of okra. I'm probably going to plant just a single row of butter beans to eat off of and not put away. And maybe a half row of bell peppers and the other half in zucchini or eggplant. I'll pick that seed up tomorrow.

Looking good. Start posting in the garden 2021 thread.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Fri May 28, 2021 9:35 pm

Researching and printing maps of some old forest service roads for a fishing trip tomorrow. A place called Deadman Creek that's reached via Deadman Road. The maps show the roads to be closed Dec-July, but we shall see. I have a Plan B and even Plan C if I can't get through.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 28, 2021 10:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:35 pm
Researching and printing maps of some old forest service roads for a fishing trip tomorrow. A place called Deadman Creek that's reached via Deadman Road. The maps show the roads to be closed Dec-July, but we shall see. I have a Plan B and even Plan C if I can't get through.
Looking forward to your report. :D
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun May 30, 2021 2:38 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:15 pm
FredS wrote:
I got hopelessly off track for a while and had to backtrack 25 miles, only to find that the road I wanted was still closed. Gated in fact. So Plan B was in play and that was to go to the small stream I scouted a few weeks ago, 30 miles and two passes to the north. All the snow and ice is gone and the water was high and off color as you'd expect for the end of May. The problem was that I got there at the same time as the rain. I ate lunch and waited for the first round to pass and got in a few hours fishing before it started raining for good. Some big, slushy, almost-snow raindrops. I didn't have a light rain jacket so I had to wear polertec fleece and I was in that uncomfortable zone where it was warm enough to sweat, but too cold and damp to go without the jacket. Caught two 5-6" brook trout on a #16 Irresistible. I need to work on my small stream game. The new 5wt Redington Classic Trout casts fantastic but I think a 3wt, 7.5 foot fiberglass rod would be fun.

I hit up the Big Thompson Friday night. It's also a little high and off color because they're letting more water out of Lake Estes, but it was certainly fishable and I caught quite a few fish. It's a weird river that fishes like a pocket water freestone river even though it's technically a tailwater river.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 30, 2021 2:50 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:38 pm
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:
I got hopelessly off track for a while and had to backtrack 25 miles, only to find that the road I wanted was still closed. Gated in fact. So Plan B was in play and that was to go to the small stream I scouted a few weeks ago, 30 miles and two passes to the north. All the snow and ice is gone and the water was high and off color as you'd expect for the end of May. The problem was that I got there at the same time as the rain. I ate lunch and waited for the first round to pass and got in a few hours fishing before it started raining for good. Some big, slushy, almost-snow raindrops. I didn't have a light rain jacket so I had to wear polertec fleece and I was in that uncomfortable zone where it was warm enough to sweat, but too cold and damp to go without the jacket. Caught two 5-6" brook trout on a #16 Irresistible. I need to work on my small stream game. The new 5wt Redington Classic Trout casts fantastic but I think a 3wt, 7.5 foot fiberglass rod would be fun.

I hit up the Big Thompson Friday night. It's also a little high and off color because they're letting more water out of Lake Estes, but it was certainly fishable and I caught quite a few fish. It's a weird river that fishes like a pocket water freestone river even though it's technically a tailwater river.
High and off color, cold water, and you took 2 trout on a dry fly!
I'd say your small stream game is doing just fine, Fred.

Sounds like a fun day.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun May 30, 2021 3:01 pm

Like Fainn and his pier fishing, I'm zeroing in it. I'm having a blast finding and figuring out new water in beautiful and remote places.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun May 30, 2021 5:49 pm

FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:
I got hopelessly off track for a while and had to backtrack 25 miles, only to find that the road I wanted was still closed. Gated in fact.
Probably for the best. I was starting to worry for your safety going to a place called Deadman Creek via Deadman Road. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon May 31, 2021 6:05 am

SlowToke wrote:
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:
I got hopelessly off track for a while and had to backtrack 25 miles, only to find that the road I wanted was still closed. Gated in fact.
Probably for the best. I was starting to worry for your safety going to a place called Deadman Creek via Deadman Road. Image
Anyone heard from FredS lately?

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon May 31, 2021 6:21 am

Mrs. Joegoat and I are taking Old Blue into town for mulch and some plants today. I'm determined to get the flower beds into shape at this place. They've been long neglected.
My mom always had gorgeous flower beds. In a couple weeks I'll be back in Pennsylvania and I plan to divide some of her plants to bring here. She would have like that. We lost her to cancer almost four year ago.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon May 31, 2021 7:02 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:05 am
SlowToke wrote:
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:
Probably for the best. I was starting to worry for your safety going to a place called Deadman Creek via Deadman Road. Image

It's pretty neat your forestry service roads have names!
Here they only have numbers.
Common Core Math is the kiss of death . :facepalm:
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

mont974x4
Dad to Ducks
Dad to Ducks

Post by mont974x4 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:11 am

I’m trying to get some yard work done and maybe extend the roof over the deck.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 31, 2021 10:56 am

joegoat wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:

Mrs FredS was in AZ visiting her mother. She worries when I'm tromping around the mountains alone so I always try to let her know generally where I'll be. I texted her Sat morning "I'm fishing Deadman Creek. Just in case . . ." Then I went without cell phone coverage for the next nine hours. Her simple and single reply was "That doesn't sound good."

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 31, 2021 11:08 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:02 am
joegoat wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:

Yeah, Deadman Road is actually county road 86. Another interesting road in the area is NF-300 (national forest road) called Killpecker.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon May 31, 2021 11:28 am

I'm looking for good plans for exterior louvered shutters.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:04 am

Mrs. Joegoat and I kicked butt on the flower beds yesterday. She continued working on that project while I mowed the grass. She was even driving the Cub Cadet model 71 around hauling the mulch and finally decided the she likes having it around. I'm glad she likes it because I had her in mind when I bought it so she had a smaller tractor that she would feel comfortable on.
Today I'll work on the John Deere A. I drained the oil last night and discovered an original John Deere brass Purolator cleanable filter element. Cool! I figured most of these had been converted to the paper elements used on later tractors. The filter stud had been replaced with a piece of all thread and shows signs of being stretched, probably in an attempt to stop a leak from a petrified gasket. That needs replaced. I may get the parts to convert to a paper element. Not sure yet.
I got some JD yellow to freshen up the spoked wheels. The exhaust stack also needs some fresh black paint.
Another issue I came across was the sediment bowl had filled with gas. I had taken it off and cleaned it the day before when I took the carburetor and fuel line off. The petcock was off so I have a slow drip, not good. This will allow gas to seep through the carb and into the cylinders while the tractor is parked. Being a horizontal mounted engine, that means it can creep past the piston rings into the oil. The oil smelled ok with maybe a touch of gas. Sediment bowl assemblies are sold at my local farm store so that isn't the end of the world.
Who knows what else I'll end up doing on it today.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:40 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:02 am
joegoat wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:

I miss the days before the 9 1 1 naming of rural streets. I used to live on Beagle Club Road and still refer to it as that even though it was changed to the dynamic and exciting name of 900 South.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:17 pm

Well, my day went sideways. Got a lot accomplished, but the to do list just got longer. The John Deere A is in more pieces than I expected. So far everything is still repairable though.
I also investigated a growing sink hole and wet spot on my yard. My fear was that it was a broken septic line. It was not. It was a clay drain pipe that had come apart. It must be coming from my neighbor's and running to the creek. Not sure how I'm going to fix that. I may let them know what's happening and plug it to discover the source.