What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Came home from work and went straight to the garden. My dad was already out there. We dug the holes for the corner posts and tamped them in. Hope to get the T-posts driven in tomorrow if it's not raining. But the garden needs the rain so I'd be alright with that. I measured off the rows. I figured they were about 125'. Turns out their bw 150-160'. No idea how/if things will produce this year.

I've got so stinking much to do.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Mick
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Mick » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:38 pm

SlowToke wrote: I miss the days before the 9 1 1 naming of rural streets. I used to live on Beagle Club Road and still refer to it as that even though it was changed to the dynamic and exciting name of 900 South.
Same, though it’s useful ‘round these parts. You can tell who’s from the county and who’s transplanted by the names they use for roads.

eg - everyone who’s been here for a while knows where Big Injun road is, even though it had a Twp # before, and a brand new, PC-approved name after the 911 mapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy! - Jeremy Myers

Mick
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

What Are You Working On?

Post by Mick » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:45 pm

CE courses to keep my certifications current. Image
Somebody run a skewer through my eyeball, this crap is Death-By-PowerPoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy! - Jeremy Myers

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:46 pm

Today I replaced the in line water filter on the fridge.
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:11 pm

Hopefully I'll get the power run to from the box to the fence tomorrow and attach the jumper wire to the corners. I did manage to get the three strands of electric fence up all the way around this afternoon though, including the gates on both ends.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:58 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:04 am
Mrs. Joegoat and I kicked butt on the flower beds yesterday. She continued working on that project while I mowed the grass. She was even driving the Cub Cadet model 71 around hauling the mulch and finally decided the she likes having it around. I'm glad she likes it because I had her in mind when I bought it so she had a smaller tractor that she would feel comfortable on.
Today I'll work on the John Deere A. I drained the oil last night and discovered an original John Deere brass Purolator cleanable filter element. Cool! I figured most of these had been converted to the paper elements used on later tractors. The filter stud had been replaced with a piece of all thread and shows signs of being stretched, probably in an attempt to stop a leak from a petrified gasket. That needs replaced. I may get the parts to convert to a paper element. Not sure yet.
I got some JD yellow to freshen up the spoked wheels. The exhaust stack also needs some fresh black paint.
Another issue I came across was the sediment bowl had filled with gas. I had taken it off and cleaned it the day before when I took the carburetor and fuel line off. The petcock was off so I have a slow drip, not good. This will allow gas to seep through the carb and into the cylinders while the tractor is parked. Being a horizontal mounted engine, that means it can creep past the piston rings into the oil. The oil smelled ok with maybe a touch of gas. Sediment bowl assemblies are sold at my local farm store so that isn't the end of the world.
Who knows what else I'll end up doing on it today.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.
From what I have heard, the John Deer paper filters are rather expensive ($45) for something that is little more than paper.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:02 am

I started cleaning the drain for the girl's tub Saturday morning. The pipe disappeared.

The drain assembly, it seems, is all PVC compression fittings (my FIL calls them "Tinker Toys") that fall apart when touched. After quite some time spent in the crawlspace under the house, I managed to get everything back together again.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:17 am

JMG wrote:Hopefully I'll get the power run to from the box to the fence tomorrow and attach the jumper wire to the corners. I did manage to get the three strands of electric fence up all the way around this afternoon though, including the gates on both ends.

Nice work! I pray our garden remains safe from deer, rabbits, and our other wildlife. I really don't want to put up a fence

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:24 am

coco wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:04 am
Mrs. Joegoat and I kicked butt on the flower beds yesterday. She continued working on that project while I mowed the grass. She was even driving the Cub Cadet model 71 around hauling the mulch and finally decided the she likes having it around. I'm glad she likes it because I had her in mind when I bought it so she had a smaller tractor that she would feel comfortable on.
Today I'll work on the John Deere A. I drained the oil last night and discovered an original John Deere brass Purolator cleanable filter element. Cool! I figured most of these had been converted to the paper elements used on later tractors. The filter stud had been replaced with a piece of all thread and shows signs of being stretched, probably in an attempt to stop a leak from a petrified gasket. That needs replaced. I may get the parts to convert to a paper element. Not sure yet.
I got some JD yellow to freshen up the spoked wheels. The exhaust stack also needs some fresh black paint.
Another issue I came across was the sediment bowl had filled with gas. I had taken it off and cleaned it the day before when I took the carburetor and fuel line off. The petcock was off so I have a slow drip, not good. This will allow gas to seep through the carb and into the cylinders while the tractor is parked. Being a horizontal mounted engine, that means it can creep past the piston rings into the oil. The oil smelled ok with maybe a touch of gas. Sediment bowl assemblies are sold at my local farm store so that isn't the end of the world.
Who knows what else I'll end up doing on it today.

From what I have heard, the John Deer paper filters are rather expensive ($45) for something that is little more than paper.
Anything with JD on it costs a premium. I'm not sold that the modern stuff is worth the premium though. I loose interested in green tractors after the first two digit number series 40-70. I love the letter series tractors though. Paper filters are about $14 from NAPA and you don't have to buy a gasket separately like the JD unit.
I fixed up the original brass filter. The screws had worked loose in the top plate so I had to remove the old solder, tighten them up and reapply the solder. The parts cost to convert to paper was adding up. Someday maybe.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:33 am

Yesterday we bought a new pump and filter for the pool. I'll never touch another DE filter. It was a pain in the poop chute all last year! It clogged up constantly. Flushing it was not easy, and I'm pretty sure it was way too small for the pool. It was on its last leg though; that only exacerbated the problems. If I can dodge rain showers today, I hope to clean out the pool and set that up.
Sitting on the porch during a brief downpour revealed that the gutter is blocked with buds from the Osage Orange tree. That needs cleaned out.
I have a drainage issue in the lower yard I still need to finish fixing.
Old Blue is having trouble with the front brakes dragging. That needs fixed.
Right now, it's pipe and coffee time.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm

Yesterday, I cleaned out the pool's filter pit, realigned the cinder block base and arranged the new filter and pump. I cut and pre assembled the PVC plumbing. I only had to make two trips to the hardware store! The set up is done right. I put lots of thought into the design. Repairs and maintenace will be easy in the future. I fished most of the debris out of the pool, filled the filter with sand, fixed a couple places where the liner retaining strap had come away from the outer edge, and started filling the pool. I think I got rained on three time yesterday? I was soaking wet all day. It was so humid nothing would dry. I just need to glue the PVC together and wire up the pump. The pool should be filled by tomorrow evening. There is supposedly a shortage of chlorine tablets this year, but of course this creates a shortage of all chlorine because everyone only reads headlines and doesn't like to share. I found enough liquid chlorine to get things rolling. Hopefully the supply of liquid chlorine won't be so tight all year. I really don't want the pool going green because of hoarders.
Today I think I fixed Old Blue's brake issue. My theory is that Sunday's 45 minute drive to Miamisburg exacerbated a previous issue of the front brake calipers not retracting due to corrosion. The heat generated by the slight drag over heated the DOT 3 brake fluid and that just added more pressure to the brakes. On the short trips to Wilmington this only appeared as a slight loss of power feeling that I was blaming on a timing issue. I had noticed the truck wouldn't roll forward of backward at stops. I blamed it on the fat mud tires on it. Two new calipers installed and the fluid is now DOT 4 with a higher boiling temp. Everything is moving nicely now. While bleeding them I noticed one if the rigid lines had spring a pin hole leak. Blastola! I might as well just replace the whole kit and kaboodle with stainless lines. Full truck kits are cheap enough. That's one good thing about an older vehicle is cheap parts. I just have to spend a day or two under the truck replacing them. Ugh! If one went another is probably close behind. I guess 35 years is a pretty good life for a steel brake line in Ohio.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:38 pm

The city's water main blew its top a week back and unfortunately it's right on the church's (where I'm working) property. So, our plumbing system got a ton of debris in it and we've had plumbing issue as plumbing issue all week...AND it's VBS week! Anywho, every new supply line and fill valve I installed immediately would clog up. So, I got the idea to rig up a hose with a larger diameter with a compression U***n to flush the pipes of any debris. It's worked well until it didn't. You can see the 1/2" copper pipe completely clogged with what I can only assume is some fancy aquarium gravel. Tried everything to clear it. Then I pitched the idea to my boss to cut the water to the building off and open up a hydrant that is on the property to flush the pipes of water, close the hydrant, and then instead of easing the main back on to just crank it open and water hammer the crap out of the blockage. To my surprise he went with it. It took three tries, but eventually worked and a crap ton of gravel came out. Somehow, miraculously, it didn't blow any other pipes apart. I hate working on old plumbing.

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:13 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:38 pm
The city's water main blew its top a week back and unfortunately it's right on the church's (where I'm working) property. So, our plumbing system got a ton of debris in it and we've had plumbing issue as plumbing issue all week...AND it's VBS week! Anywho, every new supply line and fill valve I installed immediately would clog up. So, I got the idea to rig up a hose with a larger diameter with a compression U***n to flush the pipes of any debris. It's worked well until it didn't. You can see the 1/2" copper pipe completely clogged with what I can only assume is some fancy aquarium gravel. Tried everything to clear it. Then I pitched the idea to my boss to cut the water to the building off and open up a hydrant that is on the property to flush the pipes of water, close the hydrant, and then instead of easing the main back on to just crank it open and water hammer the crap out of the blockage. To my surprise he went with it. It took three tries, but eventually worked and a crap ton of gravel came out. Somehow, miraculously, it didn't blow any other pipes apart. I hate working on old plumbing.

Old plumbing is the stuff of nightmares.

We’ll done.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:33 am

JimVH wrote:
JMG wrote:

We’ll done.
You're resourceful! They're lucky to have you on the staff. Incoming plumbing is one pain, but the worst part of working on the outgoing lines is the feeling of, "this isn't even all mine."

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:35 am

JimVH wrote:
JMG wrote:

We’ll done.
You're resourceful! They're lucky to have you on the staff. Incoming plumbing is one pain, but the worst part of working on the outgoing lines is the feeling of, "this isn't even all mine."

Is U***n a bad word now? I'm not pro U***n, but wasn't aware it was offensive. Haha

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:35 am

Is U***n a bad word now? I'm not pro U***n, but wasn't aware it was offensive. Haha

I’ve never understood it, but the forum has done that automatically for as long as I can remember.

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:18 am

I have been re-purposing some metal cabinets for tool storage. I retrieved two out of barn Friday that I had used for tools before at former residence.
Inside was B&D sander. Yesterday, I plugged it in and sanded a wall cabinet for painting, using the sandpaper that was on the sander.
The sander had not been touched in at least 23 years. I recall mother using it while refinishing a desk, that was before we moved from Atlanta, so pre-1973. I suspect it is a 1970 or '71 model.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:30 am

JMG wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 am
joegoat wrote:

I’ve never understood it, but the forum has done that automatically for as long as I can remember.
There was a glitch in the old forum software. If you tried to use the word in your post everything you'd written would simply vanish when you tried to post it, so we worked around that by using U***n instead. It's not a problem with the new software, but it was cleverly listed - by Pepic I think - as a prohibited word that is automatically flagged and replaced as a nod to it's legacy on CPS.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:34 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:30 am
JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:

There was a glitch in the old forum software. If you tried to use the word in your post everything you'd written would simply vanish when you tried to post it, so we worked around that by using U***n instead. It's not a problem with the new software, but it was cleverly listed - by Pepic I think - as a prohibited word that is automatically flagged and replaced as a nod to it's legacy on CPS.
I figured the forum software self-identified as a Southerner. :lol:
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:31 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:30 am
JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:

Ah…an Easter egg of sorts.