What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Sir Moose » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:43 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am
The 74 super bug is comming along. New floor pans are in. The chassis is painted and mostly back together. I got the glass out and stripped all the trim off the body yesterday. I have a couple minor rust spots to fix and then lots of sanding before the weather warms up enough to lay down a fresh coat of the original "brilliant orange." Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
We had an orange '74 standard bug as our family car when I was a kid. Purchased new in '74 and our primary family vehicle until about '80. Then it was the secondary or tertiary vehicle until about '89. I have a lot of fond memories of that car.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:43 am
joegoat wrote:
The 74 super bug is comming along. New floor pans are in. The chassis is painted and mostly back together. I got the glass out and stripped all the trim off the body yesterday. I have a couple minor rust spots to fix and then lots of sanding before the weather warms up enough to lay down a fresh coat of the original "brilliant orange." Image

We had an orange '74 standard bug as our family car when I was a kid. Purchased new in '74 and our primary family vehicle until about '80. Then it was the secondary or tertiary vehicle until about '89. I have a lot of fond memories of that car.
It seems like everyone over fifty had one. Any chance I get, I like to open the garage door while I work. I've had several people drive by and turn around to stop and reminisce.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:44 pm

I'm putting the finishing touches on a red oak altar set. I've almost completed the cross. Just a few more coats and then on to the 2 candle sticks.
Wesley

"I'll take on all you sissies w/ one hand tied behind my back!" -Dennisthemenace

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 pm

FlyCruiser wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:44 pm
I'm putting the finishing touches on a red oak altar set. I've almost completed the cross. Just a few more coats and then on to the 2 candle sticks.
It's good to see you posting, Wesley.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:25 pm

My bride wants an interior shelf.
The wood is 1" thick redwood.
What the heck kind of finish should I use?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 pm

A lacquer thinner soak with agitation helps A LOT. It softens the oxidation so it can be rubbed off with a small piece of terry cloth towel, and the brown is gone, leaving jet black. But then, of course, it must be re-polished. That's the hardest part, as I do that by hand with micro pads, and finish with automotive swirl mark remover.

A stem I worked on recently

ImageImage
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 pm
A lacquer thinner soak with agitation helps A LOT. It softens the oxidation so it can be rubbed off with a small piece of terry cloth towel, and the brown is gone, leaving jet black. But then, of course, it must be re-polished. That's the hardest part, as I do that by hand with micro pads, and finish with automotive swirl mark remover.

ImageImage
I've never tried laquer thinner. The results look great!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:58 pm

The Western Art Show is in town this week. We will have a booth at one of the venues. I am building an elm bench. I hope to have it finished tomorrow. Hopefully the Tap A Talk issues will be fixed soon so I can post pictures.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:06 am

joegoat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:

ImageImage
I've found that hand polishing with micro pads is a lot easier if I place the pad on a rough surface and move the stem on the pad. It's easier to apply more pressure that way
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:06 am
joegoat wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

ImageImage
I've found that hand polishing with micro pads is a lot easier if I place the pad on a rough surface and move the stem on the pad. It's easier to apply more pressure that way
I've just been looking for a way to get the bulk of the oxidation off without sanding the detail off of the stem.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am

joegoat wrote:
I've just been looking for a way to get the bulk of the oxidation off without sanding the detail off of the stem.
Here's a close up of that same stem after restoration, showing the stem logo stamp still factory fresh. After the lacquer thinner soak and scrub, I used #1800 thru #4000 grit micro sanding pads to restore gloss, and then the auto swirl mark remover to make it gleam. After the soak and wet terry cloth scrub, let it dry for about 10 minutes before using the pads.

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:47 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Finished just in time for the Western Art Show.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:23 am

The redwood, while free, was a pita to work on----way too wonky so I picked up some kind of almost decent pine to build the shelf.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:17 am

mont974x4 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:47 pm
ImageImageImageImage

Beautimus.

JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

Post by JMG » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:58 am

mont974x4 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:47 pm
ImageImageImageImage

Hello FredS
Really nice.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:23 pm

I moved some dirt today for my landscaping project.
Not as much dirt as I'd usually move, but I have to take it easy with my ruptured discs.
Then I went to the gym for exercises.
I'm feeling much better now :D

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Recently acquired this Ben Wade Burnsbury massive Pot shaped pipe, but it had such a dark stain on it I decided to remove some of it, if I could. Before and after carefully removing much of the stain with a paper towel wetted with lacquer thinner. I was relieved to find there were no fills the pipe maker was trying to hide......

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm

joegoat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 am
Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:

It seems like everyone over fifty had one. Any chance I get, I like to open the garage door while I work. I've had several people drive by and turn around to stop and reminisce.
Why am I just finding this now? I'm a big aircooled VW fan. Have done a body off restore a time or two. Love the sound of a VW the first time it starts up after you've rebuilt it.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:27 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm
joegoat wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:

Why am I just finding this now? I'm a big aircooled VW fan. Have done a body off restore a time or two. Love the sound of a VW the first time it starts up after you've rebuilt it.
It has been a pleasure thus far. Hopefully I'll hear the whistle of the exhaust by Summer.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:53 am

joegoat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:27 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm
joegoat wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:

It has been a pleasure thus far. Hopefully I'll hear the whistle of the exhaust by Summer.
I was telling my son a couple days ago that I didn't have radios in a couple of my bugs because I liked to just listen to the engine as I drove.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.