What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2337
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:08 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:53 am
joegoat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:27 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm
joegoat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:43 am
joegoat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am
The 74 super bug is comming along. New floor pans are in. The chassis is painted and mostly back together. I got the glass out and stripped all the trim off the body yesterday. I have a couple minor rust spots to fix and then lots of sanding before the weather warms up enough to lay down a fresh coat of the original "brilliant orange." Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
We had an orange '74 standard bug as our family car when I was a kid. Purchased new in '74 and our primary family vehicle until about '80. Then it was the secondary or tertiary vehicle until about '89. I have a lot of fond memories of that car.
It seems like everyone over fifty had one. Any chance I get, I like to open the garage door while I work. I've had several people drive by and turn around to stop and reminisce.
Why am I just finding this now? I'm a big aircooled VW fan. Have done a body off restore a time or two. Love the sound of a VW the first time it starts up after you've rebuilt it.
It has been a pleasure thus far. Hopefully I'll hear the whistle of the exhaust by Summer.
I was telling my son a couple days ago that I didn't have radios in a couple of my bugs because I liked to just listen to the engine as I drove.
I did take this one on a spin the day I bought it. The floor pans were pretty rotten so I said a prayer that my wife and I wouldn't fall through. It was rainy, the lights didn't work due to corroded connections and every rubber seal leaked like crazy. I just had the plates from my Corolla on it so l stayed on the back roads. The rear mounted engine purred like a kitten though.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8852
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 am

joegoat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:08 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:53 am
joegoat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:27 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm
joegoat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:43 am
joegoat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am
The 74 super bug is comming along. New floor pans are in. The chassis is painted and mostly back together. I got the glass out and stripped all the trim off the body yesterday. I have a couple minor rust spots to fix and then lots of sanding before the weather warms up enough to lay down a fresh coat of the original "brilliant orange." Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
We had an orange '74 standard bug as our family car when I was a kid. Purchased new in '74 and our primary family vehicle until about '80. Then it was the secondary or tertiary vehicle until about '89. I have a lot of fond memories of that car.
It seems like everyone over fifty had one. Any chance I get, I like to open the garage door while I work. I've had several people drive by and turn around to stop and reminisce.
Why am I just finding this now? I'm a big aircooled VW fan. Have done a body off restore a time or two. Love the sound of a VW the first time it starts up after you've rebuilt it.
It has been a pleasure thus far. Hopefully I'll hear the whistle of the exhaust by Summer.
I was telling my son a couple days ago that I didn't have radios in a couple of my bugs because I liked to just listen to the engine as I drove.
I did take this one on a spin the day I bought it. The floor pans were pretty rotten so I said a prayer that my wife and I wouldn't fall through. It was rainy, the lights didn't work due to corroded connections and every rubber seal leaked like crazy. I just had the plates from my Corolla on it so l stayed on the back roads. The rear mounted engine purred like a kitten though.
That is quite a project, Joey, but I imagine a relaxing one.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24941
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Hovannes » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Weed abatement, among 101 other things.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6813
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 pm

I spent a very pleasant afternoon at the workbench puffing on a pipe, touching up fixed-blade knives (most of them just needed a little stropping; I drew a few over a hard Arkansas stone as well) and oiling their sheaths.

The hardest thing I did was begin flattening the course side of a very old Carborundum stone I have that’s had a bit of a “dent in the middle as long as I can remember! The fine side is nice and flat. It was my father’s and likely hasn’t been squared up since the 40’s, if ever.

I worked on it for an hour or so, and it will need several hours more before it’s nice and flat again.

A good way to spend a blustery afternoon with intermittent snow squalls.

:pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18613
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by hugodrax » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:12 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 pm
I spent a very pleasant afternoon at the workbench puffing on a pipe, touching up fixed-blade knives (most of them just needed a little stropping; I drew a few over a hard Arkansas stone as well) and oiling their sheaths.

The hardest thing I did was begin flattening the course side of a very old Carborundum stone I have that’s had a bit of a “dent in the middle as long as I can remember! The fine side is nice and flat. It was my father’s and likely hasn’t been squared up since the 40’s, if ever.

I worked on it for an hour or so, and it will need several hours more before it’s nice and flat again.

A good way to spend a blustery afternoon with intermittent snow squalls.

:pipe3:
That sounds delightful. I envy you the life you've made.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6813
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:43 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:12 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 pm
I spent a very pleasant afternoon at the workbench puffing on a pipe, touching up fixed-blade knives (most of them just needed a little stropping; I drew a few over a hard Arkansas stone as well) and oiling their sheaths.

The hardest thing I did was begin flattening the course side of a very old Carborundum stone I have that’s had a bit of a “dent in the middle as long as I can remember! The fine side is nice and flat. It was my father’s and likely hasn’t been squared up since the 40’s, if ever.

I worked on it for an hour or so, and it will need several hours more before it’s nice and flat again.

A good way to spend a blustery afternoon with intermittent snow squalls.

:pipe3:
That sounds delightful. I envy you the life you've made.
Kind of you to say, Paul.
It took a while for us to get here and we don’t take any of it for granted.

There were some fairly major hardships along the way, but we’ve been blessed, for sure.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2337
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:21 pm

I'm ordering oil lines for a GE CF6-80C2 TR.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
mont974x4
Tim
Tim
Posts: 8700
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:13 am

A software repair of my laptop.


Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10350
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:10 am

It's 9am here and so far I've sawed two pine stumps to the ground, hoed weeds in the garden, and read two chapters in the book of Judges. Judges is an awesome book so far. When the battery on my drill is charged I'll drill holes in the pine stumps and light them up with some kerosine. While they burn I'll fix some arbors and trellis for grapes and roses. After lunch will be garage and workshop organization. I have an Aurora cigar and a couple cans of Guinness planned for this evening, God willing.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 852
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Adam Z » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:56 pm

Installing a new faucet in the kitchen. First time doing this. I've been putting it off for a while, as I'm not a very "handy" kinda guy, and home improvement projects tend to intimidate me. I often fear that I'm going to mess something up and be embarrassed to have to ask for help, or have to spend money to pay someone to fix what I made worse - not that this has happened to me yet, but it's just a fear. Last weekend I changed out a light fixture successfully, so I have that going for me, LOL...

Anyway, this project today is taking longer than I thought it would. It took me an hour to get the old fixture off, as it was anchored down using these large silver-dollar sized plastic nuts. The actual nut part kept on stripping when I put the wrench to them, and I couldn't get them to loosen with a hammer and flathead screwdriver, as suggested on a plumbing website I was looking at. So I ended up grabbing a butane grill/candle lighter and melting them enough to be able to break them off. Not fun.

Breaktime is over now. Time to go and install the new faucet. :|
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Sledin » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:37 pm

ImageGetting my hunting stand ready, putting the boards on the railings.
I want it to be safe to bring my kids.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16430
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Well....
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Any helpful thoughts or suggestions as I finish this project?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16430
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:41 pm

OH. Also checked out the "rougher ride" and looked at struts. 2k on parts. Um.... no that's ok.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16430
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:53 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:41 pm
OH. Also checked out the "rougher ride" and looked at struts. 2k on parts. Um.... no that's ok.
Also-- I added some seafoam into the fuel and that seemed to loosen some things up and then have it running better after a few days.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:07 am

Sledin wrote:ImageGetting my hunting stand ready, putting the boards on the railings.
I want it to be safe to bring my kids.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lots of snow in the bush still! I can almost see all of my lawn

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23157
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JimVH » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:12 pm

I spent yesterday making sawdust with grandson number three.

We made a box.

Boom.

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Sledin » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sledin wrote:ImageGetting my hunting stand ready, putting the boards on the railings.
I want it to be safe to bring my kids.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lots of snow in the bush still! I can almost see all of my lawn

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Image
No problem driving my snowmobile out there.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22191
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Putting a dead pedal and phone holder in the Jeep.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21841
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Jocose » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:54 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:40 pm
Well....
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Any helpful thoughts or suggestions as I finish this project?
It runs and drives, I'd call that a win.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Image

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16430
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:28 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:54 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:40 pm
Well....
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Any helpful thoughts or suggestions as I finish this project?
It runs and drives, I'd call that a win.
It runs well.

I washed it today and used a buffer on part of the hood and did the silicone. I'm tired. Tax reading is ahead tonight--- and I will need to do a second application of silicon.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Post Reply