What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:07 am

I'm installing new front disc brake pads on my truck today, hoping the rotors are still ok.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Specing out new workstations for 3D CAD.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:45 pm

I am answering a seemingly endless flow of requests for information from regulators seeking answers to questions that have previously been explained.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:14 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:45 pm
I am answering a seemingly endless flow of requests for information from regulators seeking answers to questions that have previously been explained.
There's no rule that says regulators need have any expertise in the field they're regulating.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:14 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:45 pm
There's no rule that says regulators need have any expertise in the field they're regulating.
That is keenly evident in this matter.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:23 pm

Sanded the Super Bug for paint today.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:30 pm

Body work is done. Not bad for an amateur, if I do say so myself. I did do a bit of composite work on airplanes, but I'm far from good at this stuff. The ol' girl is coming along.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 pm

joegoat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:30 pm
Body work is done. Not bad for an amateur, if I do say so myself. I did do a bit of composite work on airplanes, but I'm far from good at this stuff. The ol' girl is coming along.
ImageImageImage

Looks more orange in daylight than in the fluorescent garage lights. Will you paint it or have it professionally done?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:40 pm

joegoat wrote:
ImageImageImage

Dang man, I thought you were my neighbor for a minute!

Hes doing a similar project.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 pm
joegoat wrote:
ImageImageImage

Looks more orange in daylight than in the fluorescent garage lights. Will you paint it or have it professionally done?
The whole car has been sanded to 250 grit between the two pictures so it looks a little more dull. I tried every shop in my area and they are either booked solid or don't do whole cars. You would think a fully stripped and prepped car body staying the same color would be an easy job for a shop. I guess not. I just want a driver that looks good. I'm willing to do the work to achieve that. Even if it requires a bunch of wet sanding to remove my runs afterwards.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:37 pm

joegoat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 pm
Goose55 wrote:
joegoat wrote:
ImageImageImage

The whole car has been sanded to 250 grit between the two pictures so it looks a little more dull. I tried every shop in my area and they are either booked solid or don't do whole cars. You would think a fully stripped and prepped car body staying the same color would be an easy job for a shop. I guess not. I just want a driver that looks good. I'm willing to do the work to achieve that. Even if it requires a bunch of wet sanding to remove my runs afterwards.
You could tell the shops not to do the whole car. Just do a piece...and then another piece...and then another.... You get the idea.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:06 am

Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
joegoat wrote:
ImageImageImage

You could tell the shops not to do the whole car. Just do a piece...and then another piece...and then another.... You get the idea.
I bet if it was an insurance claim they might take it.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 am

joegoat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:06 am
Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
joegoat wrote:
ImageImageImage

You need an old school body shop not a collision repair shop. The problem is that when you find one they're going to want at least $4000 to paint that thing. Maybe even $6000. I'd hit a few spring car shows and ask around. Every group of car guys has a painter who shoots their cars and those guys usually don't mind spraying over someone else's work. The top end pros will want to spend 40 hours to 're-prep' it in their shop before they'll paint it.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Pruned off excess fronds on the two Pindo Palms that are out in the sidewalk median. And then drip soaked Palm fertilizer on the one Palm that has been ailing and fed the other regular crystal chemical fertilizer
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:04 am

I got the shed cleaned out yesterday. Today I'm getting the Rhodes Bantam ready for sailing. The old stiff jib and main halyards are replaced. I also got line to do the main sheet, but I under estimated by 5 feet. Poop!
A couple small cracks have developed where the centerboard house joins the hull so I need to do some glass repairs. Other that that, she's in ship shape for being 50 years old.Image

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 am
joegoat wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
joegoat wrote:
ImageImageImage

You need an old school body shop not a collision repair shop. The problem is that when you find one they're going to want at least $4000 to paint that thing. Maybe even $6000. I'd hit a few spring car shows and ask around. Every group of car guys has a painter who shoots their cars and those guys usually don't mind spraying over someone else's work. The top end pros will want to spend 40 hours to 're-prep' it in their shop before they'll paint it.
What shape are the heater channels in this body?
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:30 am

Work.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:35 am

Redwood counter tops and some walnut bar and counter tops

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 am
FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 am
joegoat wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
joegoat wrote:
ImageImageImage

What shape are the heater channels in this body?
Hah! Even when they're working perfectly they don't work.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Making a new cutting board---carving board. The old one de-laminated. It's a odd size to fit inside a lipped pan and I've used it to slice tri-tip without the juice running all over the kitchen counter. With BBQ season here I want to get this done.
I bought the glue today---Elmer's Waterproof Carpenter's Wood Glue Max is what they recommended at the ACE. Now I have to get some hardwood---probably oak but I'd prefer maple if I can find any---and start sawing and clamping.
The biggest issues is---should I glue it up side by side, or butcher block style?

Your guidance is greatly appreciated!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."