What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:10 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 am
FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 am
joegoat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:06 am
Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 pm
joegoat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:30 pm
Body work is done. Not bad for an amateur, if I do say so myself. I did do a bit of composite work on airplanes, but I'm far from good at this stuff. The ol' girl is coming along.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Looks more orange in daylight than in the fluorescent garage lights. Will you paint it or have it professionally done?
The whole car has been sanded to 250 grit between the two pictures so it looks a little more dull. I tried every shop in my area and they are either booked solid or don't do whole cars. You would think a fully stripped and prepped car body staying the same color would be an easy job for a shop. I guess not. I just want a driver that looks good. I'm willing to do the work to achieve that. Even if it requires a bunch of wet sanding to remove my runs afterwards.
You could tell the shops not to do the whole car. Just do a piece...and then another piece...and then another.... You get the idea.
I bet if it was an insurance claim they might take it.

You need an old school body shop not a collision repair shop. The problem is that when you find one they're going to want at least $4000 to paint that thing. Maybe even $6000. I'd hit a few spring car shows and ask around. Every group of car guys has a painter who shoots their cars and those guys usually don't mind spraying over someone else's work. The top end pros will want to spend 40 hours to 're-prep' it in their shop before they'll paint it.
What shape are the heater channels in this body?
Immaculate! I got lucky with this car. Though heating in the bug is a joke, the heater channels are structural from what I understand.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:52 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:10 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 am
FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 am
joegoat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:06 am
Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 pm
joegoat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:30 pm
Body work is done. Not bad for an amateur, if I do say so myself. I did do a bit of composite work on airplanes, but I'm far from good at this stuff. The ol' girl is coming along.
ImageImageImage

Looks more orange in daylight than in the fluorescent garage lights. Will you paint it or have it professionally done?
The whole car has been sanded to 250 grit between the two pictures so it looks a little more dull. I tried every shop in my area and they are either booked solid or don't do whole cars. You would think a fully stripped and prepped car body staying the same color would be an easy job for a shop. I guess not. I just want a driver that looks good. I'm willing to do the work to achieve that. Even if it requires a bunch of wet sanding to remove my runs afterwards.
You could tell the shops not to do the whole car. Just do a piece...and then another piece...and then another.... You get the idea.
I bet if it was an insurance claim they might take it.

You need an old school body shop not a collision repair shop. The problem is that when you find one they're going to want at least $4000 to paint that thing. Maybe even $6000. I'd hit a few spring car shows and ask around. Every group of car guys has a painter who shoots their cars and those guys usually don't mind spraying over someone else's work. The top end pros will want to spend 40 hours to 're-prep' it in their shop before they'll paint it.
What shape are the heater channels in this body?
Immaculate! I got lucky with this car. Though heating in the bug is a joke, the heater channels are structural from what I understand.
They are, they provide chassis rigidity along with the center tunnel. I had them replaced on my 66 and the metal they attached to on the body was in such bad shape that the body flexed every time I drove over a bridge joint at highway speeds and the driver side door would swing open.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:17 pm
Making a new cutting board---carving board. The old one de-laminated. It's a odd size to fit inside a lipped pan and I've used it to slice tri-tip without the juice running all over the kitchen counter. With BBQ season here I want to get this done.
I bought the glue today---Elmer's Waterproof Carpenter's Wood Glue Max is what they recommended at the ACE. Now I have to get some hardwood---probably oak but I'd prefer maple if I can find any---and start sawing and clamping.
The biggest issues is---should I glue it up side by side, or butcher block style?

Your guidance is greatly appreciated!
Butcher block. End grain is easier on your blade.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Post by mont974x4 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:14 pm

ImageImageImage

Redwood counter being dry fit

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:03 pm

German snowbird friends of mine up the block asked if before they returned to Germany next week if I would repaint their south facing steel security door that gets all the weather. It had not been painted in over ten years so was showing quite a bit of rust. They knew they could trust me to do it right and not make a mess. It took me a couple of hours to prep, mask and do both sides with Rustoleum aerosol gloss Almond color. Looks great. Like a brand new door. A perfect match in color to their stucco siding. They are very pleased. And I made $40.

I should have made a before and after pic but I forgot to bring my camera.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Making progress on rehabbing a rental suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:50 am

Waiting for the grass to dry off and rolling some cartridges for my P53 Enfield. Rolled, dipped in lube, charged with powder, twisted off, and packaged for my next trip to the range.ImageImageImageImage

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat May 04, 2019 4:52 pm

After many delays, finally finished Mrs Gabriel’s Christmas present:

Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat May 04, 2019 5:42 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:52 pm

Well done.
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:48 pm

Packing away in 1/2 pint jars a lot of Gawith, Hoggarth & Sam Gawith bulk blends. I've got a sharp knife alongside just in case I find any mold spots. I'll have a dozen or more jars jam-packed full before I'm finished
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Gabriel wrote:

Nice, warm comforter there, too. Is that a queen sized bed?

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat May 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:49 pm
Gabriel wrote:

Nice, warm comforter there, too. Is that a queen sized bed?
Yes, queen sized bed. One of the kids added the bear...
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Sun May 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Gabriel wrote:

I like that insert in the headboard. Nice work Gabe.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Post by mont974x4 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:00 pm

ImageImageImage

I finished up this tamarack tv stand a few days ago.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun May 05, 2019 9:26 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:00 pm
ImageImageImage

I finished up this tamarack tv stand a few days ago.

Hello FredS
I give this 3 dancing tacos.

:taco: :taco:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:29 am

I have a fellow coming over today to do a bit of sprucing up in the yard. What will I work on? Helping him get his work done more easily.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed May 08, 2019 10:51 am

Finally! The last (insert your favorite four letter word) bolt is in. Two of them fought me to the very end. The body is on the frame! She's looking like a car again! Image

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 08, 2019 12:19 pm

"Frame," in regards to Bugs, is a euphemism for "floppy sheet metal pan". Back in the day, I helped a buddy put a body lift in his Baja Bug. Literally, we used wood 2x4's. He made a pattern for the one over the front hump that he was later going to use to make a cast aluminum piece so he could replace it all with metal. He spent about a week in high school shop class cutting an old VW engine block in to pieces that would fit in the crucible. When he fired up the forge flames shot about 15' out the top. Turns out those cases were a magnesium alloy.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed May 08, 2019 3:52 pm

FredS wrote:"Frame," in regards to Bugs, is a euphemism for "floppy sheet metal pan". Back in the day, I helped a buddy put a body lift in his Baja Bug. Literally, we used wood 2x4's. He made a pattern for the one over the front hump that he was later going to use to make a cast aluminum piece so he could replace it all with metal. He spent about a week in high school shop class cutting an old VW engine block in to pieces that would fit in the crucible. When he fired up the forge flames shot about 15' out the top. Turns out those cases were a magnesium alloy.
Haha! A"floppy sheet metal pan" is a very true statement. The main I-beam is pretty rigid, but what you actually sit on is indeed, little more than an oversized cookie sheet of the dollar store variety. She's nearly on the ground. I just have to replace a tie rod end that I buggered up on disassembly and she'll be rolling!

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 08, 2019 4:20 pm

It's looking good Joe. Are you enjoying the restoration or are you a poor guy who wants a nice VW so you have to DIY? If I recall correctly, you don't get your hands dirty much any more at your day job so turning wrenches might be a pleasant diversion in your off hours.