What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by SlowToke » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:45 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:35 am
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:11 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:38 am
SlowToke wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:48 pm
Fixing my cousins vintage John Deere 5 log splitter. Needs new couplers. The teeth are pretty worn out. I think I'm going to change them out for spider couplers. Any reason that would be a bad idea?
Don't see any issue with that from here. I'd check it once in a while during the first few uses though. The load on the motor and pump isn't constant so the coupling might get torqued at the beginning of each split. The spiders are easy enough to replace every couple of years though if they get worn.
Thanks. I know some gas to hydraulic motor machines have plastic breakaway couplers to fail to prevent engine damage in the event the hydraulic motor seizes. The spider coupler doesn't allow that. That was my only concern. I'm guessing the 5HP Briggs & Stratton would just stall out if that happened?

The couplers look like the originals and they were locked on tight so I had to unmount both the hydraulic motor and the engine to get a pulley puller on them. They came off easy after that.
Be fastidious when you put it back together and make sure the motor shaft and pump shaft are parallel and in alignment. It's sort of tricky to do if the shaft sizes are different. If it's very far off the coupling will wear out in short order. If you're worried about protecting the motor in case the pump seizes, maybe you can use a roll pin instead of a square key and set screw to secure the coupling on one side or other. Of course you might have to drill through the coupling and shaft to do so if it's not already built like that.

Also - can you pm me Scott K's contact info? Like many I suppose, he evidently doesn't check contacts through his website very often and hasn't replied to my inquiry.
The roll pin is a great idea. I'll PM you about Scott.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:08 pm

Goose55 wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:20 pm
Worked on take offs and landings today. My instructor says my air work is good and my taxiing is good. Where the two meet is still a little rough. Haha
Back at it tomorrow.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
what kind of aircraft, Joey?
An Aeronca Champ.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Me. I decided to stop running from God.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:21 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Hello FredS
Glad to hear it.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:42 pm

JMG wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:21 pm
mont974x4 wrote:

Hello FredS
Glad to hear it.
At least you didn't get eaten by a whale.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:46 pm

coco wrote:
JMG wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:21 pm
mont974x4 wrote:

Hello FredS
Glad to hear it.
At least you didn't get eaten by a whale.
Well. It ain’t over yet. Image

Hello FredS

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 pm

i need to install two little 4-40 machine screws to finish a project and I can’t find the right driver anywhere.

Bad words.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 pm
i need to install two little 4-40 machine screws to finish a project and I can’t find the right driver anywhere.

Bad words.
Use the Force, Luke.
Wayne Teipen
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:42 am

JimVH wrote:

Bad words.
Pocket.
Knife.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:44 am

FredS wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Bad words.
Pocket.
Knife.
Use a hammer and punch. The threads are just there to get them back out.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:17 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:08 pm
Goose55 wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:20 pm
Worked on take offs and landings today. My instructor says my air work is good and my taxiing is good. Where the two meet is still a little rough. Haha
Back at it tomorrow.

what kind of aircraft, Joey?
An Aeronca Champ.

Thanks. I looked those up. I heard that about 10,000 of them were made between 1946 and 1949. 4 cylinder 75 horse power
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:19 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:44 am
FredS wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Bad words.
Pocket.
Knife.

My torque hammer won't measure inch pounds. I guess I need a new one.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 am

JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:44 am
FredS wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Bad words.
Pocket.
Knife.

My torque hammer won't measure inch pounds. I guess I need a new one.
1 grunt or two?

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:57 pm

Me. At the gym.

Hello FredS

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:43 pm

Plymouth over, with pimento olive and silverbacks for garnish, after cleaning the furnace filters as we're getting chilly(according to CA sensibilities) mornings now.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Wood burning is more difficult than I remember. Or maybe I've grown more particular. I thought about doing art on some nets for gifts but I don't like how it's turning out. I'll try a few more times on scrap wood before I give up the idea entirely.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:19 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:45 pm
FredS wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
FredS wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
Fixing my cousins vintage John Deere 5 log splitter. Needs new couplers. The teeth are pretty worn out. I think I'm going to change them out for spider couplers. Any reason that would be a bad idea?
Don't see any issue with that from here. I'd check it once in a while during the first few uses though. The load on the motor and pump isn't constant so the coupling might get torqued at the beginning of each split. The spiders are easy enough to replace every couple of years though if they get worn.
Thanks. I know some gas to hydraulic motor machines have plastic breakaway couplers to fail to prevent engine damage in the event the hydraulic motor seizes. The spider coupler doesn't allow that. That was my only concern. I'm guessing the 5HP Briggs & Stratton would just stall out if that happened?

The couplers look like the originals and they were locked on tight so I had to unmount both the hydraulic motor and the engine to get a pulley puller on them. They came off easy after that.
Be fastidious when you put it back together and make sure the motor shaft and pump shaft are parallel and in alignment. It's sort of tricky to do if the shaft sizes are different. If it's very far off the coupling will wear out in short order. If you're worried about protecting the motor in case the pump seizes, maybe you can use a roll pin instead of a square key and set screw to secure the coupling on one side or other. Of course you might have to drill through the coupling and shaft to do so if it's not already built like that.

Also - can you pm me Scott K's contact info? Like many I suppose, he evidently doesn't check contacts through his website very often and hasn't replied to my inquiry.
Spider couplers worked great. Fired her up and ran but still no hydraulics then SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Hydraulic pump seized. This $25 log splitter just turned into a $250 log splitter. With my luck, I'll replace the hydraulic pump to find out the cylinder seals are bad. Ugh! I told my wife in the beginning that I was going to go buy a new one but nooooooooo. I feel a hearty "I told you so" coming on.
Wayne Teipen

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Next up- repairing the sweeper that my 11 year old son decided would be the right tool to sweep up dog puke. Please pray for him! :signofcross: 8O :lol:
Wayne Teipen

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:02 pm

SlowToke wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:45 pm
FredS wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
FredS wrote:
SlowToke wrote:

Spider couplers worked great. Fired her up and ran but still no hydraulics then SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Hydraulic pump seized. This $25 log splitter just turned into a $250 log splitter. With my luck, I'll replace the hydraulic pump to find out the cylinder seals are bad. Ugh! I told my wife in the beginning that I was going to go buy a new one but nooooooooo. I feel a hearty "I told you so" coming on.
Sometimes being handy and frugal is a curse...
You tend to wind up with more projects that came cheap and have great potential than you do working equipment.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Very true.
Wayne Teipen