What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
JimExotic
JimExotic
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JimVH » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:29 am

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 am
Carefully crafted this new table to the man cave.
That's pretty cool how you made an old table look like a pallet.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 am

Categorizing a lifetime's worth of accumulation into necessities, useful luxuries, and why the f*** did we keep this?.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:02 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 am
Categorizing a lifetime's worth of accumulation into necessities, useful luxuries, and why the f*** did we keep this?.
We "down sized" last summer. It's been a great season of getting rid of a bunch of crap. Getting rid of crap is great... what I've been surprised at is when I've gotten rid of things that I thought weren't crap, but I've held onto knowing their value... then when I've sold these non-crappy things on Facebook Marketplace and someone comes by to get them... I hand them over, or look them over with the buyer and realize... dang, this is crap too.

It doesn't take long for something to turn to crap just sitting around unused.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 pm

Having a cheap guitar has given me ideas for some mods. Not expensive ones, but enough to learn about what makes a better guitar. Fortunately I still have my job once the lock-down is over.
All people are worth praying for - Hugodrax.

AnungUnRama
Pastor
Pastor

Post by AnungUnRama » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 am

Fainn wrote:Having a cheap guitar has given me ideas for some mods. Not expensive ones, but enough to learn about what makes a better guitar. Fortunately I still have my job once the lock-down is over.
DiMarzio Air Norton/Steve's Special is the first mod I made on a lot of these for many customers. They were thrilled with the improvement and the cost isn't too high. A Sustaniac could be fun but I've never installed one. Flat Bigsby trems are cool too!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:56 am

Working on a plan to replace the current aging and unsightly access ramp at the Ranch. Feeling like old times here with my ada specs and drawings. Don’t have my old software though...
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:54 am

Some more shop storage. The drawer units are from Ikea. This will be primarily for pipes, and pipe and knife making supplies.

(And yes, as a matter of fact, I often work in the shop naked.)
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:14 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 am
Fainn wrote:Having a cheap guitar has given me ideas for some mods. Not expensive ones, but enough to learn about what makes a better guitar. Fortunately I still have my job once the lock-down is over.
DiMarzio Air Norton/Steve's Special is the first mod I made on a lot of these for many customers. They were thrilled with the improvement and the cost isn't too high. A Sustaniac could be fun but I've never installed one. Flat Bigsby trems are cool too!

Several people have recommended dragonfire screamers.
All people are worth praying for - Hugodrax.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Digging a hole.

Remember when my well pump power line had a break last fall? An electrician with a locator came out, located the break, ran a temporary line and disappeared. I called two other electricians. One said he was too busy to put in a new line, the other one came out, looked at the situation and never called back.

Then the snow fell.

Yesterday our new neighbor (an electrician) came over with his locator. I told him the other outfit already located it. He asked me who it was, and I told him.

"Worst electrician in the area. We better double check."

He found the break about 10' away from where the other guy said it was. Told me he'd come back Saturday to help me fix it. Said I could start digging the hole.

"How deep." I asked.
"Four feet."

I'm not exactly in the best shape for digging holes, but I've been plugging away at it very slowly and I'm down about 2 1/2'. I'll hit it again tomorrow. If I can walk.

:pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:02 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:34 pm
Digging a hole.

Remember when my well pump power line had a break last fall? An electrician with a locator came out, located the break, ran a temporary line and disappeared. I called two other electricians. One said he was too busy to put in a new line, the other one came out, looked at the situation and never called back.

Then the snow fell.

Yesterday our new neighbor (an electrician) came over with his locator. I told him the other outfit already located it. He asked me who it was, and I told him.

He found the break about 10' away from where the other guy said it was. Told me he'd come back Saturday to help me fix it. Said I could start digging the hole.

"How deep." I asked.
"Four feet."

I'm not exactly in the best shape for digging holes, but I've been plugging away at it very slowly and I'm down about 2 1/2'. I'll hit it again tomorrow. If I can walk.

Slow and steady wins the race...take it easy
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

AnungUnRama
Pastor
Pastor

Post by AnungUnRama » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:06 am

Fainn wrote:
AnungUnRama wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 am

Several people have recommended dragonfire screamers.
Huh. Never heard of them.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:34 pm
Digging a hole.

Then the snow fell.

"How deep." I asked.
"Four feet."

Like Scott said, take it easy.

By the way I've been building a new cross fence this week, digging post holes. And like my dad always said, with a new or waxing moon you won't have enough dirt to backfill a hole. It's true.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:45 pm

Well for no good reason the light over my work desk in the unfinished basement(Reloading/fly tying), just went out...changed the bulb, checked GFI outlets, checked the fuses...all fine, just this cheap plastic bare bulb outlet is dead. I pulled it down and re tightened the power wires and the bulb flickered when turned on, but then out again.

So today I went to the local big box hardware store...finally found the better quality replacement, ceramic vs plastic. While I am no electrician or even a half #@$% re-wire er, I did get it replaced and I now have light again. Time to work on some ants on hooks for when I can get to the water again. :chili:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Rebuilding a fence and gate on the side yard. It's taking time because the neighbor's Heavenly Bamboo migrated under the fence and took over.
"Praise be to Mary, her child and all those with them in Paradise."---Paulus Kal

AnungUnRama
Pastor
Pastor

Post by AnungUnRama » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:30 pm

I am putting a new window in the upper part of my garage. This is where I have my music and pipe stuff and is where I work from home. I have one huge window (5'H x 6'W) looking out west but it does not open and is frosted so I cant see out it. Hey, it was free. This new one faces north and does open. It will be nice when finished.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:54 pm

Well ...

I dug the hole and the faulty cable was right were our wonderful young neighbor (the electrician) said it would be - exactly where he marked it and four feet down.

He came over yesterday on his day off and made a waterproof splice for us.

Once I was "in the hole" I remembered that when we built the house 23 years ago the backhoe operator ripped up the power line to the well when he was digging the trench for our French drain. The failure was in the splice a previous electrician had made there. The heat shrink hadn't been completely sealed and the terminal block was wet, rusty and leaking to ground.

Our neighbors are new. They moved in last fall. They're a wonderful young couple and terrific neighbors. We feel very blessed to have them across the road.

This is Alex working on the splice:

And today ...

I installed the last filter needed to fill out the IF board on my favorite radio:

This is the IF board on my Yaesu FT-1000MP. Each of the small, tan, plug-in boards is an optional IF filter. These filters have progressively narrower bandpasses to deal with interference from adjacent signals.

When the radio first came out, around 30 years ago, it was state of the art and top of the range. At the time, each of these filters ran around $200! The radio works quite well without them (there were a few standard filters provided and other methods built into the radio to deal with nearby interference), but these additional cascaded filters add a lot of capability to the rig.

But if they'd been offered with the radio as standard it might have driven the cost up another $1000, which probably would have put it out of reach for too many. Most who bought it, I suspect - like me - have added options gradually as funds permitted. Got the last few filters on eBay for less than $100.

Finally, my radio is "fully populated," as they say.

I have other radios, including a fairly recent rig with more modern design, but this radio is a gem and I prefer using it to anything I've ever operated with.

Seems to be a lot of time lately for getting around to projects (and making long posts :D ).
I wonder why??

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:14 pm

Working on the back porch, the boat and motor, the truck, the car, the garden (until it began raining yesterday), helping a grandson refi his truck, new cross fence with 3 gates dividing the back yard, still trapping and catching mice and trying to locate their entry points, spraying around the yard for mosquitoes, spraying grape Vines for caterpillars, cleaning out my office and the study, cleaning out the pantry and baking bread.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:30 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:14 pm
Working on the back porch, the boat and motor, the truck, the car, the garden (until it began raining yesterday), helping a grandson refi his truck, new cross fence with 3 gates dividing the back yard, still trapping and catching mice and trying to locate their entry points, spraying around the yard for mosquitoes, spraying grape Vines for caterpillars, cleaning out my office and the study, cleaning out the pantry and baking bread.
Also the garage and shop, and working on a couple stories and poems. And reviewing taxes, and still reviewing the CARE legislation to see how it affects me, whether to go ahead and file for 2019, and whether it affects my business somehow.

I need to prioritize, though. Tomorrow I'm going to work on my boat and motor.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:24 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:30 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:14 pm
Also the garage and shop, and working on a couple stories and poems. And reviewing taxes, and still reviewing the CARE legislation to see how it affects me, whether to go ahead and file for 2019, and whether it affects my business somehow.

I need to prioritize, though. Tomorrow I'm going to work on my boat and motor.
Sound priorities, Tim.

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:49 am

I continue to slowly work on the galvanized fence rail frame for the new overhead Coolaroo fabric "panel" over the lower driveway. It'll provide complete shade for the new Ram 3500 Laramie pickup truck. Sun will never light on any part of it while parked.

Just need to cut one more 1 - 5/8th reinforcing rail and I can take final measurements for the panel which will have grommets through a triple edge hem. Attached with heavy duty UV resistant zip ties. Panel will be large. Approximately 185 inches long by 112 inches wide. And so, this is the reason for the heavy 1 - 5/8 inch rail. They'll be a lot of tension on the grommets/ rail, and I do not want the rail to bow.

I will provide some pics soon as I progress.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis