What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:19 pm
The frets ends have been smoothed on both sides. It was really sucky and tedious.
Well then, you should take satisfaction in completing a sucky and tedious project. Here's some pie. :pie:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:00 pm

The ground beside my Papaw's old shop and shed has been sloughing off. He welded a retaining wall decades ago and put it in, but it's deteriorating and falling over. I'm working on replacing it. Did a bunch of work this past weekend. Only got about 8 railroad ties put down, have about 30 more to go. But I have a big Oak in the path (well, it's right next to it and its roots are in the path.) I need to have it felled anyway because it would take the shop out if it fell and have already had a couple limbs fall (there's a big Sweet Gum that will be coming down as well). I'm planning on slabbing the Oak and putting it away in the barn for a year or two and building some furniture from it for our house. Anyway...it was a lot of hot stinking work this weekend and not much to show for it, but it sure feels good to get moving on some projects to get this place back to its glory days. What I installed is only 3 ties high, but the bottom one is mostly buried. The section by the shop will be 5 or 6 ties high and I hope to one day pour a slab on top and add on to my shop.

I had my oldest attaching the chain the the old retaining wall so I could stop getting on and off the tractor...

This is the Oak that's in the way. It will one day be a new dining room table, and hopefully a few other things...

Awful lot of work for something that looks so small so far...
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:15 am

:chili:
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:40 am

:chili: :chili:
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:55 am

Lots of work. I hate cutting down a good shade tree. Gum trees not so much.
"If you don't love Jesus you can go to Hell". Billy Joe Shaver

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:17 am

sweetandsour wrote:Lots of work. I hate cutting down a good shade tree. Gum trees not so much.
I've got a 40 foot gum out back that's rotting from the inside out. It needs taken out soon. Unfortunately it's so big around my saw won't do it. Time to call in a professional. I suppose they can take out the equally tall pine while they're here.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:11 am

Cleaning my house. I hate housework. I need a maid.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:09 am

joegoat wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:17 am
sweetandsour wrote:Lots of work. I hate cutting down a good shade tree. Gum trees not so much.
I've got a 40 foot gum out back that's rotting from the inside out. It needs taken out soon. Unfortunately it's so big around my saw won't do it. Time to call in a professional. I suppose they can take out the equally tall pine while they're here.

I enjoy having a few pines around, but not close to the house. I'm trying to decide now what small shade trees to plant in the back yard this winter.
"If you don't love Jesus you can go to Hell". Billy Joe Shaver

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:24 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:09 am
joegoat wrote:

I enjoy having a few pines around, but not close to the house. I'm trying to decide now what small shade trees to plant in the back yard this winter.
I agonize over removing trees. I have a big oak that needs to come down, and even though being there is a risk to my house, it bothers me to lose it.

If it were a pine tree I would throw a party while they cut it into pieces.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:43 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:24 am
sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:

I agonize over removing trees. I have a big oak that needs to come down, and even though being there is a risk to my house, it bothers me to lose it.

I feel ya. Cutting down a tree is like painting an oak table.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:43 am

I'll take the oak. We needs the firewood.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:44 am

Replacing a wood privacy fence. I like the carpentry type work. I don't like pulling posts in concrete and digging holes.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:51 am

Cleon wrote:Replacing a wood privacy fence. I like the carpentry type work. I don't like pulling posts in concrete and digging holes.
I made a cantilever out of one of the old fence posts when I redid mine. It was crude but it would pop the other posts out of the ground after digging them out a bit

Cleon

Post by Cleon » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:54 am

BeefyG wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:51 am
Cleon wrote:Replacing a wood privacy fence. I like the carpentry type work. I don't like pulling posts in concrete and digging holes.
I made a cantilever out of one of the old fence posts when I redid mine. It was crude but it would pop the other posts out of the ground after digging them out a bit
My wife and my neighbor has plants EVERYWHERE. That's part of the problem. I can't move without stepping on them or running into little trees and bushes. If I had more working room, it would help.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:51 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:24 am
sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:

I feel the same way. I absolutely love old trees. This one, unfortunately, poses just too big a threat to leave it there. It does help knowing I am going to slab it and build some furniture for our house from it though.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

plainview
Elder
Elder

Post by plainview » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:55 pm

Rehydrating a couple of ounces of pipe tobacco.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:43 am

The Farmall Cub tire decided to let go again and I am officially done with tire tubes. They last a day's use and then fail catastrophically. After much research, I found that 12 inch trailer wheels should fit the front hubs. We will find out for sure today. If they fit, I have trees to trim and fire wood that needs split. My little tractor is needed to haul the trimmings to my burn pile.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:39 pm

I may have to bring in a friend on this one.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 pm

Making lesson plans. I start a new job as a prealgebra teacher Monday.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Brigid wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 pm
Making lesson plans. I start a new job as a prealgebra teacher Monday.
I had to spend 2 hours at day at the math lab in community college just to pass the remedial Algebra class before taking the college level class.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.