What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Brigid » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:55 am

Fainn wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:06 pm
Brigid wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 pm
Making lesson plans. I start a new job as a prealgebra teacher Monday.
I had to spend 2 hours at day at the math lab in community college just to pass the remedial Algebra class before taking the college level class.
Yeah, the way we teach math in this country is unhelpful to A Lot of people. I'm trying to fix that for my class...it's a lot of work.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 2950
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:40 am

Researching Farmall Cub rear main seal replacement. Looks like all of the new production seals are several thousands too small for the original retainers so a $135 new retainer may also be in order. It also means splitting the tractor in half at the bell housing which means I need a rolling engine hoist and straps. It should be an easy enough change though.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 2950
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:47 am

Set the valve gaps on a guy's Cessna 152 last night. Of course the cork valve cover gaskets had turned to stone so he had to order those. I guess we'll have to wait a few days to put it all back together.
His Aeronca Champ also just got it's annual yesterday and one of the pushrod tubes was leaking so we'll need to replace the seals on that in the near future.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia
Posts: 30855
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:09 pm

Rolling back a failed cutover that is now also having problems.
DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 6952
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:25 pm

Just looked a bit like the Clampetts hauling this 10'x10' dog pen that I picked up super cheap. My wife's dumb dog has been having to stay cooped up in a little kennel all day while we are at work. I was surprised how well this thing road. My dad and I cross braced 4 ratchet straps on it and just drove really slowly. Sucker was about 13' tall on the trailer.

Image
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 6952
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:16 pm

A friend came and drop this big White Oak for me today. I feel less-of-a-man having to get someone else to drop my trees, but I just don't have the equipment here in the States that I had in Hewa. One of these days I'm going to get me a saw big enough to slab with. Speaking of slabbing, if I can find a saw to use I'm going to slab the first 16' section of this trunk and put the slabs away in the barn for a couple years to dry. Should make a nice dining room table and benches. For now though, I've got a lot of limbing and cutting up firewood...and burning.

My girls had a great time playing on the tree. They all said, "It feels like we are back in Hewa."
Image

I was pulling it on my tractor...
Image

Image
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6865
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Fainn » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Made a bunch of mods to my guitar. Going to have to get someone else to do the soldering.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12096
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Gabriel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:54 pm

Working on a couple cigar box guitars with my boys. A slightly more tedious project than I anticipated, but going ok for a first try.

Image

Image

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12096
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Gabriel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:59 pm

During class I’ve been working with my students on a cleat type storage arrangement for our shop tools, here’s a few recent additions:

Image

Image

Image

This wall used to be deep and tall shelves. Lots of wasted space that was cluttered looking all the time. Trying to class the place up a little.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by arank87 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:54 pm

Brigid wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:55 am
Fainn wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:06 pm
Brigid wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 pm
Making lesson plans. I start a new job as a prealgebra teacher Monday.
I had to spend 2 hours at day at the math lab in community college just to pass the remedial Algebra class before taking the college level class.
Yeah, the way we teach math in this country is unhelpful to A Lot of people. I'm trying to fix that for my class...it's a lot of work.
I had to take remedial algebra twice before taking college algebra. I found out a couple years ago I’m mildly dyslexic. Would have been nice to know that when I was 14. This is really apropos of nothing 🤠
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by arank87 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:56 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:48 pm
Made a bunch of mods to my guitar. Going to have to get someone else to do the soldering.
I tried soldering new pots on a guitar a long time ago. They kinda worked but I could never get it right. My friends younger brother is an electrical engineer and makes guitar pedals on the side and he fixed it for me. That’s hard to do.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 18174
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:16 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:54 pm
Working on a couple cigar box guitars with my boys. A slightly more tedious project than I anticipated, but going ok for a first try.

Image

Image

Image
Wish I were there--- I'd like to see how they turn out :)
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12096
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Gabriel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 am

I thought this might get your attention. :) A coworker has a few (one nice electric one) and he leant me a book on the subject. If these turn out ok we will have learned a lot and I’ll probably do some with my students.

Right now I’m stuck while I look for something to use for string bushings at the tail end.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses
Posts: 4445
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:27 am


joegoat wrote:Set the valve gaps on a guy's Cessna 152 last night. Of course the cork valve cover gaskets had turned to stone so he had to order those.
Of course! Those 152s, am I right?
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 2950
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:31 am

ReverendThom wrote:
joegoat wrote:Set the valve gaps on a guy's Cessna 152 last night. Of course the cork valve cover gaskets had turned to stone so he had to order those.
Of course! Those 152s, am I right?
Airplanes as a whole. $$$$$. Luckily these were only $7 each and the Lycoming 235 is only a four cylinder.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
GaryInVA
Minister to Vegetarian Hippies
Minister to Vegetarian Hippies
Posts: 4825
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Bryan/College Station, TX

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:59 am

joegoat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:31 am
ReverendThom wrote:
joegoat wrote:Set the valve gaps on a guy's Cessna 152 last night. Of course the cork valve cover gaskets had turned to stone so he had to order those.
Of course! Those 152s, am I right?
Airplanes as a whole. $$$$$. Luckily these were only $7 each and the Lycoming 235 is only a four cylinder.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
I looked up the motor on this plane. Looks like a big version of a VW four banger boxer engine. Wonder if that would fit in a '66 Bug?
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

But it is easier for a Lifted Ford to pass under the beam of a parking garage than it is for a Dodge Ram driver to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Y'all crazy

User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 18174
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 am
I thought this might get your attention. :) A coworker has a few (one nice electric one) and he leant me a book on the subject. If these turn out ok we will have learned a lot and I’ll probably do some with my students.

Right now I’m stuck while I look for something to use for string bushings at the tail end.
The Hellhound uses.... a screw:

Image

You can be creative! :)
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12096
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Gabriel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 am

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 am
I thought this might get your attention. :) A coworker has a few (one nice electric one) and he leant me a book on the subject. If these turn out ok we will have learned a lot and I’ll probably do some with my students.

Right now I’m stuck while I look for something to use for string bushings at the tail end.
The Hellhound uses.... a screw:

Image

You can be creative! :)
Hm, it’s hard to see in that pic, but I’m not seeing how he’s attached the strings at the tail. My boys have the tail piece a few inches out of the body to drill holes to pass the strings through. I need to put a grommet or bushing of some kind in that hole to keep the strings from cutting into the wood. I’m happy enough to be creative, just haven’t come up with a good idea yet...
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 18174
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 am
gaining_age wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 am
I thought this might get your attention. :) A coworker has a few (one nice electric one) and he leant me a book on the subject. If these turn out ok we will have learned a lot and I’ll probably do some with my students.

Right now I’m stuck while I look for something to use for string bushings at the tail end.
The Hellhound uses.... a screw:

Image

You can be creative! :)
Hm, it’s hard to see in that pic, but I’m not seeing how he’s attached the strings at the tail. My boys have the tail piece a few inches out of the body to drill holes to pass the strings through. I need to put a grommet or bushing of some kind in that hole to keep the strings from cutting into the wood. I’m happy enough to be creative, just haven’t come up with a good idea yet...
I think it's a hinge.

Image

I lost the photo sharing site access otherwise I'd take a close up picture of my own. Also.. cbgitty.com has parts galore to consider (a lot of it is low price.... or it may generate an idea)
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers
Posts: 11293
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 am

Did a photo shoot yesterday of my next door neighbor's leather crafting shop. A periodical found him on InstaGram and contacted him asking if he's like to be featured in an upcoming Veteran's Day Special Edition. I have the best images burned to a CDR for him to send to the publisher. Here is some of his work, belt and holsters for children.....

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Post Reply