What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:37 am

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 am
gaining_age wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 am
I thought this might get your attention. :) A coworker has a few (one nice electric one) and he leant me a book on the subject. If these turn out ok we will have learned a lot and I’ll probably do some with my students.

Right now I’m stuck while I look for something to use for string bushings at the tail end.
The Hellhound uses.... a screw:

You can be creative! :)
Hm, it’s hard to see in that pic, but I’m not seeing how he’s attached the strings at the tail. My boys have the tail piece a few inches out of the body to drill holes to pass the strings through. I need to put a grommet or bushing of some kind in that hole to keep the strings from cutting into the wood. I’m happy enough to be creative, just haven’t come up with a good idea yet...
I think it's a hinge.

I lost the photo sharing site access otherwise I'd take a close up picture of my own. Also.. cbgitty.com has parts galore to consider (a lot of it is low price.... or it may generate an idea)
It is a hinge... two screws on the end of the cigar box and the hinge has 2 on the other side for the strings and the fellow may have drilled a third in the middle (3-string cbg).

About like this (pre middle hole drilled through: Image
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:57 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 am
Did a photo shoot yesterday of my next door neighbor's leather crafting shop. A periodical found him on InstaGram and contacted him asking if he's like to be featured in an upcoming Veteran's Day Special Edition. I have the best images burned to a CDR for him to send to the publisher. Here is some of his work, belt and holsters for children.....

Why not just e-mail them, or some sort of file share? Nice pic, btw.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:21 am

GaryInVA wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:31 am
ReverendThom wrote:
joegoat wrote:Set the valve gaps on a guy's Cessna 152 last night. Of course the cork valve cover gaskets had turned to stone so he had to order those.
Of course! Those 152s, am I right?
Airplanes as a whole. $$$$$. Luckily these were only $7 each and the Lycoming 235 is only a four cylinder.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
I looked up the motor on this plane. Looks like a big version of a VW four banger boxer engine. Wonder if that would fit in a '66 Bug?
Anything is possible with enough time and money.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:31 am

joegoat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:21 am
GaryInVA wrote:
joegoat wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
joegoat wrote:Set the valve gaps on a guy's Cessna 152 last night. Of course the cork valve cover gaskets had turned to stone so he had to order those.
Airplanes as a whole. $$$$$. Luckily these were only $7 each and the Lycoming 235 is only a four cylinder.

I looked up the motor on this plane. Looks like a big version of a VW four banger boxer engine. Wonder if that would fit in a '66 Bug?

"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:03 am

coco wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:21 am
GaryInVA wrote:
joegoat wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

My point has been proven.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:24 am

gaining_age wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
I thought this might get your attention. :) A coworker has a few (one nice electric one) and he leant me a book on the subject. If these turn out ok we will have learned a lot and I’ll probably do some with my students.

Right now I’m stuck while I look for something to use for string bushings at the tail end.

Hm, it’s hard to see in that pic, but I’m not seeing how he’s attached the strings at the tail. My boys have the tail piece a few inches out of the body to drill holes to pass the strings through. I need to put a grommet or bushing of some kind in that hole to keep the strings from cutting into the wood. I’m happy enough to be creative, just haven’t come up with a good idea yet...
I think it's a hinge.

I lost the photo sharing site access otherwise I'd take a close up picture of my own. Also.. cbgitty.com has parts galore to consider (a lot of it is low price.... or it may generate an idea)
Hm, maybe we need to start a new thread. :) When I’m at the shop again I’ll take some better pics
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:24 am
gaining_age wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

I think it's a hinge.

Hm, maybe we need to start a new thread. :) When I’m at the shop again I’ll take some better pics
Two words:
C.B. Gitty
Shane Speil
Samantha Fish
Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:07 pm

The house we’re renting was vacant for 6 years. We spent the weekend cleaning up the yard. It’s a half acre and will take some time.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Made a little progress today after church. Went through 3 shirts.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:01 am

The water supply in the bathroom vanity started leaking. Getting enough clearance to change the valves requires removing the vanity drawer from hell (seriously :twisted: .)
I finally got the drawer out and have to turn off the water to the house, drain the lines, go to ACE to get the parts and reassemble.
But I'll have to wait.
My bride is shampooing the carpets and needs water for the Rug Doctor.
DEUS VULT!

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Hovannes wrote:The water supply in the bathroom vanity started leaking. Getting enough clearance to change the valves requires removing the vanity drawer from hell (seriously :twisted: .)
I finally got the drawer out and have to turn off the water to the house, drain the lines, go to ACE to get the parts and reassemble.
But I'll have to wait.
There is no comfortable way to lay under a sink. The freaking handle came off of our bathroom sink faucet in my wife's hand yesterday morning. The darn screw walked out. So I spent an hour under that sink. Hit my head on the drain every time I went back under.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Got her split today, a bit tedious, but easy enough. Now I wait for the parts. The former owner put the wrong seal in last time. Equal OD and ID does not a proper press fit make. I hate redoing someone's bad workmanship.Image

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:15 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:50 pm
Hovannes wrote:The water supply in the bathroom vanity started leaking. Getting enough clearance to change the valves requires removing the vanity drawer from hell (seriously :twisted: .)
But I'll have to wait.
There is no comfortable way to lay under a sink. The freaking handle came off of our bathroom sink faucet in my wife's hand yesterday morning. The darn screw walked out. So I spent an hour under that sink. Hit my head on the drain every time I went back under.

I feel your pain. Really.
DEUS VULT!

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:22 pm

Kitchen sink still has the tiniest leak on the hot water side. The flare nut cracked so now I get to try my hand at cutting and flaring tubing tonight.

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Fixing all the things. I crudely fixed the crude bench for my daughter's vanity. The little oscillating fan we have for our big van had a switch crap out. Solution? Remove said crappy switch and butt splice wires together. Done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:53 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:07 pm
The house we’re renting was vacant for 6 years. We spent the weekend cleaning up the yard. It’s a half acre and will take some time.

Hello FredS
Hey! You got a house!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:52 pm

hugodrax wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Hello FredS
Hey! You got a house!
And jobs!!

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:39 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:52 pm
hugodrax wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Hello FredS
Hey! You got a house!
And jobs!!

Hello FredS
Wonderfull!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:39 pm
mont974x4 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:52 pm
hugodrax wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Hello FredS
Hey! You got a house!
And jobs!!

Hello FredS
Wonderfull!
:chili: :cheese: :taco: :bacon:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:23 pm

The Cub is back in one piece. Mowed the lower sections of grass earlier. After that I trimmed the low hanging pines out back to make push mowing that section of yard less miserable then I got distracted by my pool pump needing some maintenance. After that was sucking water again, I got brave and figured out I could sneak the Cub around the front porch without rolling it down the hill. Even with a wide turn for the trailer I had plenty of extra room. Now to do a 100 point turn to get her back out and up to the burn pile.ImageImage