What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:43 pm

Table saw elevator locked up. Broke the handle. Replacement sourced on ebay. Now I'll tear in to it to what's bound so I can get it freed up while waiting on the new parts.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:56 pm

In America, all countertops are 36 inches high.

This is not the correct countertop height for most people. This is, I suspect, due to an incident that might have happened long ago to a cabinetmaker of yore, who build a countertop greater than 36 inches and had to rebuild it to satisfy a short woman. He learned an important lesson: If you build it too high, most people won't notice. If you build it too short, you will find that Hell hath no fury like a short woman scorned. From then on, all countertops had to be 36 inches, no more.

Unless you happen to rather diminutive, you will find that having a worksurface a little higher will help immensely. Yet, if you want your house to have resale value and for appliances to fit nicely, you better not vary from the 36-inch standard. Instead, make or buy a big, thick butcher block to raise your worksurface. Your back and your average-height wife will thank you.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:03 am

Actually working on something for us, I told Mrs Gabriel I’d see about redoing the kitchen counters with the leftovers from the floor several years ago... working on it now.

Sola Deo Gloria

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:55 am

Dishwasher has a water leak; and the detergent dish will not open during the cycle. A new dish did not work, so I've ordered a new board, which is supposed to be here this Friday.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 am

Gabriel wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:03 am
Actually working on something for us, I told Mrs Gabriel I’d see about redoing the kitchen counters with the leftovers from the floor several years ago... working on it now.

I like wooden countertops.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:53 pm

New box and weatherproofing for the tuning mechanism of my vertical antenna.
Getting it ready for winter. :D

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

What Are You Working On?

Post by Gabriel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Still working on counter tops. Students are home for thanksgiving.

I ended wearing kind of a lot of it though...

Sola Deo Gloria

Benton629
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Benton629 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:13 am

Oiling a new axe handle that I hung last week.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:26 pm

I’ve got the turkey carcass boiling away with a bunch of veggie scraps I’ve been saving. It’s my first time making turkey stock so this should be interesting if not tasty.

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Just washed my truck at the Shell Station coin hand wash. I use only water and don't towel dry. I bring a 6 foot step ladder & blow all the droplets off with my quite powerful back pack gas powered Stihl Blower.

No water spots. No swirl marks in the clear coat or chromed plastic.

After the next rain we have I will hand wash and put another coat of McGuire's Gold Class Carnauba Wax on the truck. Blowing water droplets off a waxed vehicle is a snap, and fun.

ImageImage
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Determining the warmest room on the house. The freaking turkey isn't thawed enough. I didn't get the memo small turkeys were supposedly all the rage this year either. We're doing our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow evening with a 22 pound bird.
When you work in aviation, holidays are celebrated somewhere close to the actual day.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:13 pm

BeefyG wrote:I’ve got the turkey carcass boiling away with a bunch of veggie scraps I’ve been saving. It’s my first time making turkey stock so this should be interesting if not tasty.
Turned out ok so now it’s turned into turkey and dumplins for lunch tomorrow. The stock picked up some heat from something I put in there but the only peppers should have been green pepper tops.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:16 pm

joegoat wrote:Determining the warmest room on the house. The freaking turkey isn't thawed enough. I didn't get the memo small turkeys were supposedly all the rage this year either. We're doing our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow evening with a 22 pound bird.
When you work in aviation, holidays are celebrated somewhere close to the actual day.

Per Serious Eats: “If you need to defrost your bird in a hurry, place it in a large cooler or tub full of cold water, changing out the water every hour or so. This should get a full-sized bird fully thawed within 12 hours.” Hope it helps and good luck!

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:18 am

Gabriel wrote:Actually working on something for us, I told Mrs Gabriel I’d see about redoing the kitchen counters with the leftovers from the floor several years ago... working on it now.

I want to do that pretty badly. Some day I will. Our counter top is L shaped and I think 13-14' long so it would be quite an undertaking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:52 am

BeefyG wrote:
joegoat wrote:Determining the warmest room on the house. The freaking turkey isn't thawed enough. I didn't get the memo small turkeys were supposedly all the rage this year either. We're doing our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow evening with a 22 pound bird.

Per Serious Eats: “If you need to defrost your bird in a hurry, place it in a large cooler or tub full of cold water, changing out the water every hour or so. This should get a full-sized bird fully thawed within 12 hours.” Hope it helps and good luck!
It's defrosted, stuffed, and just went in the oven.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Finished up restoring the snow/grader blade for the Cub. It's the later design with cushion springs added in. I got a great deal on it, but it's lacking the pieces to front mount it. It'll have to be a mid mount until I can hunt those down.
We're getting our first snow here today. It isn't sticking to the lane right now, but more is coming overnight.Image

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:27 pm

Also dug into the front end of the new Lo-Boy. When I got this tractor I tried it in third gear down the lane and everything got pretty squirrelly up front. One of the tie rods was pretty badly bent when I bought it and straightening the rod on the 12 ton press left a crack in the threaded portion.
The steering box is leaking a bit and the steering gear could use a flip to tighten things up. I also think a bearing might be missing on the steering shaft below the worm gear. We shall see.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:44 pm
I need more storage space. I have fly rods and tubes in various corners of the garage. Fly boxes in the garage, truck, office, basement, and who knows where else. Reels in various bags in various places. I need one central place to keep it all and there's a spot next to my tying desk that will be perfect. The only thing I'm worried about is that, once I have all my rods in one place, Mrs FredS will realize I've been lying when I say I only have three.

So, I've designed this:
Wrapped this thing up over the weekend.

Finishing touches

In situ

Drawer with some reels - the one front and center is a nice vintage reel that bloodhound gave me to use on my dad's old fiberglass rod. How nice is that guy?

Mrs FredS hasn't gone downstairs yet so she hasn't seen how many rods I have. There's 10 there and one in the shop being repaired.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:56 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 pm
FredS wrote:
I need more storage space. I have fly rods and tubes in various corners of the garage. Fly boxes in the garage, truck, office, basement, and who knows where else. Reels in various bags in various places. I need one central place to keep it all and there's a spot next to my tying desk that will be perfect. The only thing I'm worried about is that, once I have all my rods in one place, Mrs FredS will realize I've been lying when I say I only have three.

So, I've designed this:

Finishing touches

In situ

Drawer with some reels - the one front and center is a nice vintage reel that bloodhound gave me to use on my dad's old fiberglass rod. How nice is that guy?

Mrs FredS hasn't gone downstairs yet so she hasn't seen how many rods I have. There's 10 there and one in the shop being repaired.
Nice work, there, Fred! You are a craftsman.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:
FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 pm
FredS wrote:

So, I've designed this:

Finishing touches

In situ

Nice work, there, Fred! You are a craftsman.
Indeed!