What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 3198
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:00 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
joegoat wrote:
AnungUnRama wrote:
joegoat wrote:Internet shopping for parts. Why does no one vendor have everything I need?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
The first time I read "pants" and thought "I didn't know Joe wore those."

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I don't....

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Just cargo shorts right? I think we need an official CPS pair of cargo shorts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Utilikilt. And under it? Depends.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:48 pm

More dern cabinets. Doors and drawer faces will be installed on site. I still have one six feet wide 3' tall wall cabinet to build, then one 3' wide base cabinet and two 3' wide wall cabinets. I've already built two other bases just like this one in the pic and two other 6' long wall cabinets. I'm ready to get this project behind me.

Image
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 3198
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 pm

JMG wrote:More dern cabinets. Doors and drawer faces will be installed on site. I still have one six feet wide 3' tall wall cabinet to build, then one 3' wide base cabinet and two 3' wide wall cabinets. I've already built two other bases just like this one in the pic and two other 6' long wall cabinets. I'm ready to get this project behind me.

Image
You've got some skill!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:02 pm

joegoat wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 pm
JMG wrote:More dern cabinets. Doors and drawer faces will be installed on site. I still have one six feet wide 3' tall wall cabinet to build, then one 3' wide base cabinet and two 3' wide wall cabinets. I've already built two other bases just like this one in the pic and two other 6' long wall cabinets. I'm ready to get this project behind me.

Image
You've got some skill!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
I wish. These would go a lot quicker if I did. I'm using my dad's shop to work out of until I get my shop up and running. These things would be a crap ton easier if I was working in a properly set up woodworking shop.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 3198
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:32 am

JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 pm
JMG wrote:More dern cabinets. Doors and drawer faces will be installed on site. I still have one six feet wide 3' tall wall cabinet to build, then one 3' wide base cabinet and two 3' wide wall cabinets. I've already built two other bases just like this one in the pic and two other 6' long wall cabinets. I'm ready to get this project behind me.

Image
You've got some skill!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
I wish. These would go a lot quicker if I did. I'm using my dad's shop to work out of until I get my shop up and running. These things would be a crap ton easier if I was working in a properly set up woodworking shop.
Don't underestimate yourself. A true craftsman can make much from little.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24572
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:44 am

JMG wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:02 pm
joegoat wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 pm
JMG wrote:More dern cabinets. Doors and drawer faces will be installed on site. I still have one six feet wide 3' tall wall cabinet to build, then one 3' wide base cabinet and two 3' wide wall cabinets. I've already built two other bases just like this one in the pic and two other 6' long wall cabinets. I'm ready to get this project behind me.

Image
You've got some skill!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
I wish. These would go a lot quicker if I did. I'm using my dad's shop to work out of until I get my shop up and running. These things would be a crap ton easier if I was working in a properly set up woodworking shop.
The very best way to decide how to set up your shop is to work in a shop that's not yours for a while. I bet you're getting pretty efficient with your process even if because you're held back a little by the shop space.

What are those 'stringers' 10" or so below the drawers? Are they temporary braces or will something be attached to them?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Posts: 3198
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:51 am

I have a tree to clean up today. My new Stihl MS 271 made quick work of cutting it yesterday, but I ran out of daylight. Time to fire up my trusty Farmall Cub and get to it. It will make some good fire wood.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:56 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:44 am
JMG wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:02 pm
joegoat wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 pm
JMG wrote:More dern cabinets. Doors and drawer faces will be installed on site. I still have one six feet wide 3' tall wall cabinet to build, then one 3' wide base cabinet and two 3' wide wall cabinets. I've already built two other bases just like this one in the pic and two other 6' long wall cabinets. I'm ready to get this project behind me.

Image
You've got some skill!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
I wish. These would go a lot quicker if I did. I'm using my dad's shop to work out of until I get my shop up and running. These things would be a crap ton easier if I was working in a properly set up woodworking shop.
The very best way to decide how to set up your shop is to work in a shop that's not yours for a while. I bet you're getting pretty efficient with your process even if because you're held back a little by the shop space.

What are those 'stringers' 10" or so below the drawers? Are they temporary braces or will something be attached to them?
They are shelves. Mounted higher than I think they should be, but I'm just following the blueprints I was given. The other side will have faux drawers bc a sink is going on top on that side. 4 doors going across.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24572
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am

You can never have too many:
Image

Finished this quickie the other day:
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Posts: 18574
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:55 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am
You can never have too many:
Image

Finished this quickie the other day:
Image
That's awesome! Functional and quite attractive!
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Posts: 18574
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:00 am

I worked on layout for a book-- my copies came in the mail yesterday!

Here's the original look with the new book:
Image

I'm very pleased with the result and it feels like a solid binding. The font and layout spacings on the equations together feel "comfortable" to me-- it's almost a "large text" edition :).

I'm still digesting what this means -- but it's really cool! <and the way it happened was a wicked cool blessing>


Ps. I also reviewed all the math in the text and cleaned up reference errors and added a line here or there for clarity (probably 3 locations) -- and dif fix a few errors (but, I confess, I did not solve the problem sets(yet)).
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24572
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:04 am

Tell us, if you're allowed, how it came about. Also, how long did this project take? I can't even . . .
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Posts: 18574
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:21 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:04 am
Tell us, if you're allowed, how it came about. Also, how long did this project take? I can't even . . .
Well, I had sabbatical time and we went to Italy for our honeymoon ( a couple years after the wedding-- saved up) and started looking at the book and fiddling with the LaTeX formatting of equations and figures-- learning some new and reviewing the methods.

So I reached out to the publisher and asked if they had an errata -- corrections on the original. They wrote back and said they didn't (after checking). I said this was really good but sure could use an update in modern formatting. They wrote back and said "yes, it could. Would you be interested?" and I wrote back and said "Yes, I believe I would."

They asked me to submit a CV and book proposal-- and they started asking around to universities, professors, or other contacts to see what the interest level would be. They came back after some time and said my proposal was accepted and sent me a contract to sign.


That was so smooth of an interaction... I'm still almost in disbelief.

So, weekends and sabbatical and evenings or mornings and printout and reviews against the original and line by line comparisons. It was a shock when I went through against the original and found I had skipped whole sections of a paragraph. So, yeah, it was a lot of typing... and many passes to see how aligned I was with different views-- print vs. electronic vs. electronic, etc. And then indexing :) Which wasn't bad, just lengthy-- find the original location and imbed a reference in the source of LaTeX so when it compiled it could generate an index as well.

It was a lot of work... and then after final submission I set it all behind me so I wouldn't tweak what I had done. I did one small change between first submission and proof reader response-- I noticed other books had two "phi" for usage while I had done a single one like the original.

Example:


vs.


So I changed the variable into the .

Also, they wanted figure descriptions-- so I had to figure what titles the figures ought to have. So there was a little back and forth but I was efficient. The proof reader only gave text change recommendations-- which means the original content was changed a little to current forms.

Probably more info than you meant but I really dove into the details and looked at figure placement and equation placements on the pages to make sure it was clean and smooth-- to my eyes. i had to make some compromises in some locations but I know my reasoning -- not that anyone might ask. ha!
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Posts: 18574
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:25 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:04 am
Tell us, if you're allowed, how it came about. Also, how long did this project take? I can't even . . .
Short answer... I'm geeky and opened up an old math book that had such difficult formatting that I hadn't gone through it in the past. I then spent time doing math and typesetting in my free time as I studied it.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:31 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am
You can never have too many:
Image

Finished this quickie the other day:
Image
I very much like this. I have two very similar drawers. I may have to try this. I was thinking of lining the inside of the drawers with some thin wooden slats and creating spaces for individual pipes.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Posts: 18574
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:39 am

coco wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:56 pm
In America, all countertops are 36 inches high.

This is not the correct countertop height for most people. This is, I suspect, due to an incident that might have happened long ago to a cabinetmaker of yore, who build a countertop greater than 36 inches and had to rebuild it to satisfy a short woman. He learned an important lesson: If you build it too high, most people won't notice. If you build it too short, you will find that Hell hath no fury like a short woman scorned. From then on, all countertops had to be 36 inches, no more.

Unless you happen to rather diminutive, you will find that having a worksurface a little higher will help immensely. Yet, if you want your house to have resale value and for appliances to fit nicely, you better not vary from the 36-inch standard. Instead, make or buy a big, thick butcher block to raise your worksurface. Your back and your average-height wife will thank you.
This is going to haunt me all day as I work on making Christmas cookies today.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24572
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:58 am

gaining_age wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:39 am
coco wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:56 pm
In America, all countertops are 36 inches high.

This is not the correct countertop height for most people. This is, I suspect, due to an incident that might have happened long ago to a cabinetmaker of yore, who build a countertop greater than 36 inches and had to rebuild it to satisfy a short woman. He learned an important lesson: If you build it too high, most people won't notice. If you build it too short, you will find that Hell hath no fury like a short woman scorned. From then on, all countertops had to be 36 inches, no more.

Unless you happen to rather diminutive, you will find that having a worksurface a little higher will help immensely. Yet, if you want your house to have resale value and for appliances to fit nicely, you better not vary from the 36-inch standard. Instead, make or buy a big, thick butcher block to raise your worksurface. Your back and your average-height wife will thank you.
This is going to haunt me all day as I work on making Christmas cookies today.
Our house is pretty new, and our city has some wonky codes, one of which mandates an ADA compliant toilet in the master bath. The seat is only 2" higher than a 'normal' toilet, but you'd be surprised how unsettling that is. So much so, that I rarely use it.
It's like when someone leaves the seat up. You can tell a split second before your ass hits the cold porcelain that something is wrong and you should have touched down by now.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12172
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Gabriel » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Speaking of countertops...

Test fitting these today. There’s just a trifle too much over hang. Trying to decide if I should take them back to my shop and fix them or deal with it the way it is...

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24572
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 pm
. . . There’s just a trifle too much over hang. Trying to decide if I should take them back to my shop and fix them or deal with it the way it is . . .
You know what you should do.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Posts: 18574
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 pm
Speaking of countertops...

Test fitting these today. There’s just a trifle too much over hang. Trying to decide if I should take them back to my shop and fix them or deal with it the way it is...

Image
What's wrong with too much overhang? Will it become unbalanced or cause a torque stronger than the force of the glue can handle? It's not shin level-- Surface area in a kitchen is a premium-- you might start a new fad.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Post Reply