What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12242
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:14 pm

JMG wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:39 pm
Still have to make the drawer faces, two doors, drill the holes for adjustable shelves, and all the shelves.

Image
How is this going to fit in the house? Part of a cabinet system? Free standing?
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Posts: 13353
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:05 am

Very nice work, Gabe, and JMG.

This week I put up a couple of very small shelves in our hallway for my wife, to display framed photos.

Also finished pruning grape Vines, finally, and repaired some trellis, and put up an arbor where I'll hang a gate next week.

Also planned for next week, build some Wren and bluebird houses, as well as a new dog house for the kennel.

The table broke on my old Craftsman band saw, so I glued it back together, and hopefully it will hold ok.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:18 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:14 pm
JMG wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:39 pm
Still have to make the drawer faces, two doors, drill the holes for adjustable shelves, and all the shelves.

Image
How is this going to fit in the house? Part of a cabinet system? Free standing?
Just free standing. I’m building mostly from leftover plywood from my last cabinet job.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt
Posts: 3514
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:16 pm

JMG wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:14 pm
JMG wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:39 pm
Still have to make the drawer faces, two doors, drill the holes for adjustable shelves, and all the shelves.

Image
How is this going to fit in the house? Part of a cabinet system? Free standing?
Just free standing. I’m building mostly from leftover plywood from my last cabinet job.
Looking good! Building with scraps always gives me a good feeling.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24866
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:42 am

Breaking in the POY with some Old Toby that I think came from sweetandsour while sanding a slab of poplar (or maybe aspen - they look the same) that will soon be a coffee table. I think I'll cut 10"-12" from the far end so it's not so much longer than it is wide. Still rectangle shaped for sure just not skinny looking. Trying to decide what sort of legs to use. I was thinking store-bought hairpin legs for speed and simplicity. Mrs FredS is thinking more substantial metal legs are needed though. Maybe some 1x2 steel tube lap jointed in an 'X' shape. Stay tuned.

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt
Posts: 3514
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:06 pm

I cut up a rotten old pine tree that came down in the tree line last year. It of course brought down limbs from everything around it because I have an infestation of wild grape vine. I hate those things! I had a heck of a fire though. I then tilled up the flower beds so we can plant something in them this year.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.


Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Posts: 13353
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:55 pm

Since last week, I've repaired two dining room chairs (antiques), finished two small hallway shelves for my wife to place photos on, made a wren box and placed it, and made a bluebird box but have yet to place it. I repaired the grape trellis and arbor (damaged by last fall's hurricanes), but it's still not too pretty. Hopefully this week I'll finish a new dog house for the kennel. During breaks I'm still working out my rotator cuff, and practicing chipping and putting. Tomorrow I plan to start hitting short irons and long wedge at the local driving range. Hopefully I'll be able to play 9 holes in a week or two without too much shoulder pain.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

User avatar
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers
Posts: 11790
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:23 pm

Very high quality door edge guards

Just wanted to share what I found for my still new to me 2019 Ram 3500. I had initially bought some cheapy clear door edge guards that yellowed badly and soon looked like crap. But these white ones I got from this seller that has a Detail Shop in Maine are thicker, solid white all the way through, won't yellow, and have a good adhesive that really keeps them in place. Very high quality product made in the good 'ol USA. They have them in different colors, clear and chrome......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trim-Moldi...3 ... SwGotWl62t

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt
Posts: 3514
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:52 pm

Replacing the ugly linoleum at the front door with ceramic tile. We got the supplies today. Tomorrow I get to start my day with a heat gun and scrapper. Otis an Phoebe were very photogenic today.Image

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Posts: 13353
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:50 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:23 pm
Very high quality door edge guards

Just wanted to share what I found for my still new to me 2019 Ram 3500. I had initially bought some cheapy clear door edge guards that yellowed badly and soon looked like crap. But these white ones I got from this seller that has a Detail Shop in Maine are thicker, solid white all the way through, won't yellow, and have a good adhesive that really keeps them in place. Very high quality product made in the good 'ol USA. They have them in different colors, clear and chrome......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trim-Moldi...3 ... SwGotWl62t

Image
I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at, or what a door edge guard is, and the link doesn't work. What are you protecting the door edges from? I see the white objects below the door handles but can't tell if they are reflections.
Edit:. I googled them, but the exact purpose is still not real clear to me.
Last edited by sweetandsour on Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 7629
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Fainn » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:03 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:40 pm
arank87 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:56 am
Fainn wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 am
The Free Bird solo.
Send a video!
Might be a while. The action is still a little high on my guitar.
I have learned the first 1:08, but I may get carpel tunnel syndrome before I have learned the whole thing.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 32415
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by coco » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:44 pm

Image

Sierpinski's Pyramid with 7 recursions. As the recursions increase, the volume and surface area go to zero and the length of all the sides goes to infinity.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

User avatar
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: MS

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:07 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:44 pm
Image

Sierpinski's Pyramid with 7 recursions. As the recursions increase, the volume and surface area go to zero and the length of all the sides goes to infinity.
Uhhhh...what?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 32415
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by coco » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:32 pm

JMG wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:07 pm
coco wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:44 pm
Image

Sierpinski's Pyramid with 7 recursions. As the recursions increase, the volume and surface area go to zero and the length of all the sides goes to infinity.
Uhhhh...what?
Here's the triangle version.
Image
Cut an equilateral triangle out of a piece of paper. It will have a certain surface area. If you add up the length of the sides, you will get a certain length. Cut an upside-down triangle out of the original triangle. The surface area will decrease because you cut some out. The length of all the sides will increase, since you have to add in the length of the inside triangle. Do it again, and the surface area will decrease more, the length of the sides will increase more. Keep at it and the surface area will get closer and closer to zero while the length of the sides "approaches" infinity.

Sierpinski's triangle is an example of a fractal, a "mathematical monster," in which there is a pattern that keeps repeating itself no matter how far you zoom in towards it. Fractal approximations are extremely common in nature. Mountain ranges, shorelines, lightning, trees, snowflakes, and about a zillion others things are fractalish.


[Edit]

Zooming in on a fractal:

If you watch the second one long enough, you start to get that deja-vu feeling. I've never done drugs, but if I did, I would watch this while I was high. Mathematical self-similarity is far out, man.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

User avatar
JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Posts: 26985
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JimVH » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:46 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:32 pm
JMG wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:07 pm
coco wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:44 pm
Image

Sierpinski's Pyramid with 7 recursions. As the recursions increase, the volume and surface area go to zero and the length of all the sides goes to infinity.
Uhhhh...what?
Here's the triangle version.
Image
Cut an equilateral triangle out of a piece of paper. It will have a certain surface area. If you add up the length of the sides, you will get a certain length. Cut an upside-down triangle out of the original triangle. The surface area will decrease because you cut some out. The length of all the sides will increase, since you have to add in the length of the inside triangle. Do it again, and the surface area will decrease more, the length of the sides will increase more. Keep at it and the surface area will get closer and closer to zero while the length of the sides "approaches" infinity.

Sierpinski's triangle is an example of a fractal, a "mathematical monster," in which there is a pattern that keeps repeating itself no matter how far you zoom in towards it. Fractal approximations are extremely common in nature. Mountain ranges, shorelines, lightning, trees, snowflakes, and about a zillion others things are fractalish.

I'm going to start dumbchristianpipesmokers.net so I'll have a place to belong.

As soon as I figure out how.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24866
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:52 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:44 pm
Image

Sierpinski's Pyramid with 7 recursions. As the recursions increase, the volume and surface area go to zero and the length of all the sides goes to infinity.
This is sort of like surface speed of a revolving cutting tool like a drill bit. At the very center, it's essentially motionless so that's where - by far - the greatest pressure is being applied. You're trying to jam an essentially motionless tool through the workpiece. In fact, it the tool didn't wobble around off center, making an imperceptibly larger hole, you probably couldn't The same thing for a bowl spinning on a lathe. At one RPM the bits right next to the bit that's in the very center move an infinitely small distance - say .0000001" as they rotate around the center but the bits that are 20" from the center on the rim of the bowl move 63" in the exact same amount of time.

I sure the coco-kidz eyes rolled back exactly like yours just did.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 32415
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by coco » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:18 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:52 pm
coco wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:44 pm
Image

Sierpinski's Pyramid with 7 recursions. As the recursions increase, the volume and surface area go to zero and the length of all the sides goes to infinity.
This is sort of like surface speed of a revolving cutting tool like a drill bit. At the very center, it's essentially motionless so that's where - by far - the greatest pressure is being applied. You're trying to jam an essentially motionless tool through the workpiece. In fact, it the tool didn't wobble around off center, making an imperceptibly larger hole, you probably couldn't The same thing for a bowl spinning on a lathe. At one RPM the bits right next to the bit that's in the very center move an infinitely small distance - say .0000001" as they rotate around the center but the bits that are 20" from the center on the rim of the bowl move 63" in the exact same amount of time.

I sure the coco-kidz eyes rolled back exactly like yours just did.
Yep. I've often struggled to get the last little nib out of bottom of the bowl. Hard to do when it's not really moving. That is to say, as the tool approaches the center of the bowl the angular velocity of the cut approaches zero. The idea of limits is essential for calculus, and an idea that most students have trouble understanding. You'll do fine, Fred my boy.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

User avatar
joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt
Posts: 3514
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by joegoat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:55 pm

Well, Coco's project sure is cool!
I started my day at 6 am peeling up linoleum. That was torture! Thankfully, it was only 24 square feet, not an entire room. I'll probably end up laying the tile next week.
My next project was going to check out a Cub Cadet 71 for sale. Turned out to be a great little tractor that had been very well taken care of for the past 50 years. I'll be hauling it home tomorrow.
I had a growing list of odds and ends in the garage that needed some catching up so I put on my classic country and went wild. I honed the cylinder for the Gravely L8 Super Convertible I'm restoring. Now if has good crosshatching for a new set of ring when I finally order them. Onto the next project.
When I bought the Gravely LI it didn't start due to no spark. The mag was bad. I put a good mag on it from the L8 being restored so I had a snow blower. I finally opened up the LI mag. The points just needed cleaned. They were nasty. I put the original mag back on the LI and checked the engine timing.
Next was another LI project. I had to take the right wheel of to change the mag so I decided to put some better ag tires on it. Not new, just better tires I got with a set of dual wheel spacers. One tire was bald and the other was almost new on the LI when I bought it. Now they finally match! Gravelys use split rims and tubes so swapping tires is easy.
After firing he LI up to check for proper operation and moving it down the hill to the shed I cleaned up some things in the garage to make room for the Cub Cadet 71 that will be moving in tomorrow.
I was about to call it a night, but I decided to look at my smaller Stihl saw. Last week it was bogging when I gave it throttle. I cleaned the air filter, carburetor and air box. She runs good now. It has been a decent saw for being a pawn shop buy. I love old equipment, except for my 2 cycle stuff. I like buying that new.
Good day! Any day with grease on my hands is good.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24866
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:55 am

We should start a pool to bet on how long it takes Joe to accumulate the first 10 dead tractors and implements parked along the fence on the side of his place. I'm guessing 5 years, 3 months, 12 days when the tenth gets dragged in place.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers
Posts: 11790
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:40 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:50 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:23 pm
Very high quality door edge guards

Just wanted to share what I found for my still new to me 2019 Ram 3500. I had initially bought some cheapy clear door edge guards that yellowed badly and soon looked like crap. But these white ones I got from this seller that has a Detail Shop in Maine are thicker, solid white all the way through, won't yellow, and have a good adhesive that really keeps them in place. Very high quality product made in the good 'ol USA. They have them in different colors, clear and chrome......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trim-Moldi...3 ... SwGotWl62t

Image
I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at, or what a door edge guard is, and the link doesn't work. What are you protecting the door edges from? I see the white objects below the door handles but can't tell if they are reflections.
Edit:. I googled them, but the exact purpose is still not real clear to me.
The outside edge of a door is most vulnerable because when you open the door, the spring in the hinge swings the door out, often striking things, chipping paint off the edge. Yes, what you see below the door handle is a reflection. Here below you see where door edge guards are applied. ....

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Post Reply