What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Jocose » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:03 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:58 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:34 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:18 pm
Replaced the light fixture in the utility room and upgraded to LED bulbs.

Changed several other long-burning lightbulbs to LED. My wife, who I openly admit is way, way too good for me, only knows how to turn lights on, so I focused on the rooms she frequents most.
I put a timer switch out in the garage set to turn off lights after 1 minute of no detected motion.
Capital idea.

A very handy device and with more settings and features than I need, like on and off by motion, on when dark off when light out, etc etc.

I just appreciate that Lights go off when not in use, its like magic!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:02 pm

Built a maple syrup evaporator and made a couple litres this past weekend.
Thought evaporating was going to be a whole weekend thing, I was finishing by noon on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:29 pm

Sledin wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:02 pm

Thought evaporating was going to be a whole weekend thing, I was finishing by noon on Saturday.

Cool. Thanks for the pic.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:55 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:29 pm
Sledin wrote:

How many gallons of sap did you collect?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:53 pm

Getting ready to put in a garden. I staked off the potential location and pulled the Gravely rotary plow out of the shed. I haven't touched it since I brought it home. I opened the gearcase fill plug and tipped it. Out came water. I figured that would be the case. I tore it completely apart to make sure the guts were ok. A thick film of goo had protected everything beautifully. After a thorough cleaning, back together it went. I swapped out the snow blade (I hope the snow is done for this year) on the LI with the rotary plow and gave it a quick test. We're ready to roll.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:56 pm

The first pic is what I got done on the porch project. There is still a lot of detail work to do on the door frame but the door is in!

The second picture is what I'll work on until bed time. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:58 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Sledin wrote:

Only 20 gallons, I hope to have at least 30 next time.
If I don’t find a better distraction I might try the birch trees next

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Sledin wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Sledin wrote:

This is cool!

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:52 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:34 pm
Sledin wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Sledin wrote:

This is cool!

Amazes me how much sap it takes.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:32 pm

Rebuilt the carburetor, painted the hood, and built up a set of ag tires and turf tires for it on freshly painted rims for the Gravely L8. I also started cleaning and painting parts for it. I'm happy with using Ford Red as a close match to the 1960's Gravely paint. It's slightly more red, but has a definite orange element to it.
The Cub Cadet model 71 is finally not leaking gas!!!! The last seal in the six inch long fuel system, the sediment bowl gasket, has been replaced.
I began mounting the belly mower on the Lo-Boy, but ran into hardware shortages. That will be continued tomorrow.
All in all, it was a good day in the garage. Classic rock was playing in the background, an occasional Keystone Light was drank, and an occasional pinch of Stokers Mint was enjoyed.
In the process of cleaning the L8 hood for painting I found the remnants of the original dealership decal. That tractor was sold at a dealership that is still in business and located northwest of Akron Ohio.

BeefyG
Elder
Elder

Post by BeefyG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:11 pm

I stored my Dad’s books in my Sunday School room until I could go through them. That was Decemberish 2019 when the new pastor arrived. We are restarting Sunday School on Easter so I’m sorting them into books I want to take home and ones I’m OK leaving at church. My Dad used anything as a bookmark so I have to flip through each book to check for personal things.

The computer I was going to use for the Sunday School lesson won’t recognize the hard drive but the motherboard and graphics card work fine. I’m debating booting Ubuntu off a flash drive but I’ve never actually messed with Linux before.

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:32 am

BeefyG wrote:I stored my Dad’s books in my Sunday School room until I could go through them. That was Decemberish 2019 when the new pastor arrived. We are restarting Sunday School on Easter so I’m sorting them into books I want to take home and ones I’m OK leaving at church. My Dad used anything as a bookmark so I have to flip through each book to check for personal things.

The computer I was going to use for the Sunday School lesson won’t recognize the hard drive but the motherboard and graphics card work fine. I’m debating booting Ubuntu off a flash drive but I’ve never actually messed with Linux before.
Linux is both freeing and frustrating. I've been using it as a daily driver for nearly a year now but I'm on Mint.

- Red Green

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:07 am

Patching a hole in the roof of the shed, fixing the door, and cleaning out the accumulation of crap due to the broken door. The Cub Cadet 71 will be my little helper today. Image

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:30 am

Mulch.

My truck will not hold more than 30 bags.

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:35 am

AnungUnRama wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:32 am
BeefyG wrote:I stored my Dad’s books in my Sunday School room until I could go through them. That was Decemberish 2019 when the new pastor arrived. We are restarting Sunday School on Easter so I’m sorting them into books I want to take home and ones I’m OK leaving at church. My Dad used anything as a bookmark so I have to flip through each book to check for personal things.

Linux is both freeing and frustrating. I've been using it as a daily driver for nearly a year now but I'm on Mint.

Booting off a flash drive is a no-risk proposition. Flash memory is VERY slow, however, slower even than a spinning hard drive. Installing Ubuntu or Mint onto an old computer can make the computer feel new again, but that involves some risk. Use the flash drive to decide if you are willing to commit.

If you need help with something, PM me.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:56 am

coco wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:35 am
AnungUnRama wrote:

Booting off a flash drive is a no-risk proposition. Flash memory is VERY slow, however, slower even than a spinning hard drive. Installing Ubuntu or Mint onto an old computer can make the computer feel new again, but that involves some risk. Use the flash drive to decide if you are willing to commit.

I agree with Coco here. We've got both Mint and Ubuntu running on hardware a decade or more old and it really works quite well, better in fact than putting it on newer hardware in some cases. I had a Mac Mini I tried loading Ubuntu on and it flat out would not work. Could be because it was a Mac, but I suspect the processor was faulty. That's the error code the installer kept throwing anyway.

I have Mint on a Dell E5530 and is quite zippy. I had to replace the motherboard in this laptop and that went really quite well. I am running it now on a HP Probook with a SSD and honestly it works better on the Dell. Both laptops have 8GB memory and i5 processors. The HP is newer.

My kids run Ubuntu 18 on an archaic HP I don't even know the model number. It has some sort of dual core AMD processor and had 2GB memory. I bumped that up to 6 I think and it is serviceable. Not great, but good enough for my daughter to do her school on. it was difficult to get VLC media player to work on Ubuntu a piece of cake on Mint. *shrug*
- Red Green

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 am

AnungUnRama wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:56 am
coco wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:35 am
AnungUnRama wrote:

Booting off a flash drive is a no-risk proposition. Flash memory is VERY slow, however, slower even than a spinning hard drive. Installing Ubuntu or Mint [edit: onto a new hard drive will probably] make the computer feel new again, but that involves some risk. Use the flash drive to decide if you are willing to commit.

I agree with Coco here. We've got both Mint and Ubuntu running on hardware a decade or more old and it really works quite well, better in fact than putting it on newer hardware in some cases. I had a Mac Mini I tried loading Ubuntu on and it flat out would not work. Could be because it was a Mac, but I suspect the processor was faulty. That's the error code the installer kept throwing anyway.

I have Mint on a Dell E5530 and is quite zippy. I had to replace the motherboard in this laptop and that went really quite well. I am running it now on a HP Probook with a SSD and honestly it works better on the Dell. Both laptops have 8GB memory and i5 processors. The HP is newer.

My kids run Ubuntu 18 on an archaic HP I don't even know the model number. It has some sort of dual core AMD processor and had 2GB memory. I bumped that up to 6 I think and it is serviceable. Not great, but good enough for my daughter to do her school on. it was difficult to get VLC media player to work on Ubuntu a piece of cake on Mint. *shrug*
Linux will load easily onto almost any Windows computer. Macs, however, involve special procedures. It is possible with a Mac, but you will have to watch a lot of YouTube videos to pull it off. Not recommended unless you like a real challenge.

The VLC thing is odd. I've never had any trouble with it in the fifteen years that I've been using Ubuntu. Given that VLC comes with just about every codec out there, installing it can even make OTHER programs work properly.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:37 pm

Y'all are speaking swahili. I can turn a computer on and off. I am fluent in the programs I need for work and I can do the bare minimum with my smart phone. Beyond that, nada. I'm glad we have folks like you that understand those machines though.
I patched the hole in the shed roof today and that project just kept getting bigger. When I crawled up on the roof it was covered in leaves, sticks, and the limbs that fell down and poked the hole. I swept that off and onto the ground, adding to the already massive pile of leaves and sticks.
I didn't have any roofing nails with rubber gaskets so I cut the tin for the patch. The corrugation isn't a perfect match, but I had a scrap piece that was the perfect size. I got it slid into place and began the massive cleanup around the shed. The 1947 Farmall Cub got her first spring workout and pulled two heaping wagon loads up to the burn pile.
I then pulled everything out, cleaned the interior and reorganized everything for a better fit. The 17 foot canoe was the biggest issue before. It now hangs on the wall. I ran to the hardware store only once today for the nails which I put in before calling it a day. Driving nails is a nice way to end a day of work.
I even got the shed door to close all the way!
This building is on its last leg. It was built over 80 years ago as a open air vacation cabin. I plan to replace it, but I need to limp it along until the cost of building materials is reasonable again.ImageImageImageImage

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:59 am

joegoat wrote:Y'all are speaking swahili. I can turn a computer on and off. I am fluent in the programs I need for work and I can do the bare minimum with my smart phone. Beyond that, nada. I'm glad we have folks like you that understand those machines though.
I patched the hole in the shed roof today and that project just kept getting bigger. When I crawled up on the roof it was covered in leaves, sticks, and the limbs that fell down and poked the hole. I swept that off and onto the ground, adding to the already massive pile of leaves and sticks.
I didn't have any roofing nails with rubber gaskets so I cut the tin for the patch. The corrugation isn't a perfect match, but I had a scrap piece that was the perfect size. I got it slid into place and began the massive cleanup around the shed. The 1947 Farmall Cub got her first spring workout and pulled two heaping wagon loads up to the burn pile.
I then pulled everything out, cleaned the interior and reorganized everything for a better fit. The 17 foot canoe was the biggest issue before. It now hangs on the wall. I ran to the hardware store only once today for the nails which I put in before calling it a day. Driving nails is a nice way to end a day of work.
This building is on its last leg. It was built over 80 years ago as a open air vacation cabin. I plan to replace it, but I need to limp it along until the cost of building materials is reasonable again.ImageImageImageImage

$34+ for a sheet of OSB is highway robbery. A guy who works at a local hardware store said they can't get the resin used to manufacture the stuff. It is almost more cost effective just to get plywood. I can get a nice 3/4 piece of sanded plywood for about the same price as that crappy OSB!

- Red Green

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:09 am

AnungUnRama wrote:
joegoat wrote:Y'all are speaking swahili. I can turn a computer on and off. I am fluent in the programs I need for work and I can do the bare minimum with my smart phone. Beyond that, nada. I'm glad we have folks like you that understand those machines though.

$34+ for a sheet of OSB is highway robbery. A guy who works at a local hardware store said they can't get the resin used to manufacture the stuff. It is almost more cost effective just to get plywood. I can get a nice 3/4 piece of sanded plywood for about the same price as that crappy OSB!

OSB is nice for walls and roofs as long as it stays dry. Once it gets wet, it's all over. You might as well have used cardboard.